The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #46  

Default Sugar in fruits

Quote:
Originally Posted by losinitin07 View Post
Just wondering what fruits are naturally high in sugar ,I know some one who is diabetic and his doctor told him not to eat grapes,are there other fruits high in sugar.
Losinitin07, the naturally occurring sugar in most fruit is fructose which is a simple carbohydrate. I do not suggest that my clients with diabetes avoid nutrient rich fruits. It may be a good idea to incorporate fruits as part of a meal if elevated blood sugars are a concern.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #47  

Default Too much soy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by judydc View Post
Wow, we do have a lot of questions! Here's mine: How much soy a day is too much? I'm trying to get most of my proteins from plant-based sources, so I've been eating more beans, and lentils, with some seafood and low-fat dairy, and limiting beef, chicken, pork, etc. to just a few meals a week. I'm cool with soy milk, tofu and edamame, but I've heard that we should limit them to a low level a day. Please advise!

judy
Judy, you’re doing a great job of moving toward a plant based diet. In 1999, the FDA made a labeling recommendation that at least 25 grams of soy protein daily lowered total and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. However, recent studies conclude that taking soy or isoflavone supplements is unlikely to reduce your risk of heart disease. Yet eating foods that contain soy protein to replace foods high in animal fats may prove beneficial to heart health. The key seems to be limiting the animal protein just like you have been doing. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #48  

Default Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixjean View Post
I HATE HATE HATE Breakfast, the idea of food makes me feel very sick at that time of day. I am aware of the benefits of breakfast, so sometimes I force myself to eat a special k bar, but my question is;

How long after you wake up is breakfast?
Also,
What is the minimum recommended calories for breakfast?

I eat 4.5 to 6 hours after I wake up (lunch)
I can force down a special K bar between 3-4.5 hours after I wake up, would that be considered breakfast?
Vixjean, you are right about the documented benefits of breakfast especially as a predictor of long-term weight loss maintenance. The good news is that breakfast can and should include foods you enjoy. Having a balance of nutrients like carbohydrates, protein and some fat will insure the maximum jump start for your day. Aim for approximately 300 calories for breakfast. I can understand that you are not ready to eat the minute you wake up. Try eating 1-2 hours after waking so that “breakfast” doesn’t overlap lunch.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #49  

Default Injury & Weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Hi Miss Gee...thanks so much for answering our questions!

I was wondering how to figure out the right number of calories to follow in my weight loss program. Is there a formula or is it based on exercise - or what. I currently eating between 1400 - 1600 calories a day.

I am at a plateau after losing well. Unfortunately - I've injured myself (foot and back) and have been told by the doctors no weight baring or upper body for a while. I am not quite sure how to approach this.

Thanks so much.
Beverly Joy, it sounds like you are doing great following a 1400-1600 calorie diet. This is the typical range for a good, safe weight loss. Follow your MD’s advice after your injury. Maintaining your weight loss is a great achievement. Focus on the quality of your eating plan to enhance your recovery.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #50  

Default Sorbitol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra View Post

Also, I notice you recommend chewing sugar free gum to curb appetite after eating and as a replacement for calorie rich snacks. I read an article recently that suggests that having too much "sugar free" in your diet can cause you to become "irregular". There was one example where a college student chewed on average 10 sticks a day of sugar free gum, she lost a load of weight, became severely dehydrated, and had diarrhea and constipation on and off. Is this likely to happen? Or did this article just leave out other factors that may have contributed to the condition? (not getting enough water/calories etc)

Thank you for answering our questions!
Casandra, you inquired about “too much sugar free" in your diet causing irregularity. What I believe you are speaking of is sorbitol, a polyol sweetener commonly used in sugar free chewing gums. The key here is moderation - all foods and beverages can be enjoyed when consumed in moderation, and excess consumption of any food is not recommended.

Numerous scientific studies show that people can consume up to 50 grams of sorbitol without experiencing a laxative effect (subject to the individual and other components of his or her diet). To put things into perspective for you, based on scientific studies and FDA labeling requirements, you would have to chew about 40 sticks or more than 100 pellets of gum per day to reach the threshold of excessive consumption of sorbitol. FDA labeling regulations require a laxative statement on foods containing sorbitol if consumption is reasonably expected to exceed this amount. The average consumption rate in the U. S. is one-half stick per day .