The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 194/191/125

Height: 5'2

Hi MollyGee, My question is how do I know how much I need of each, calories, fat, carbs and protein? I am 5'2 and weigh 190 but I am also breastfeeding so I'm not sure how many additional calories I need. Please help! Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #62  

Default Sugar Free Gum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteladybugs View Post
Thank you Ms. Gee for answering our questions!

Sometimes I think I eat just to have something in my mouth, so I bought sugar-free gum for times like that. Are there any negative reasons to chewing gum instead of reaching for snack food?

Thank you!
Karen
Karen asked about using sugar-free gum instead of reaching for a snack food. This is a great example how you can reshape your snacking habits. Some experts believe it takes 21 days to create or change a habit. To reduce your daily calorie intake for the next three weeks, try replacing that afternoon cookie attack with a five calorie stick of gum compared to the 140 calories in two small cookies.

You may have noticed that last night, contestants on “The Biggest Loser” are also chewing five calorie Extra sugar-free gum to control calorie intake, avoid mindless munching and get an edge over their competition.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #63  

Default Balanced Diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbake View Post
Ms. Gee--Thank you so much for your time and support.

I've been reading Jillian Michael's book Winning by Losing. My results from the metabolism test in the book say that I'm a Balanced Oxidizer and should balance my food intake with 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, & 30% Fat.

I struggle with keeping my fats balanced. They either seem too high or too low. What kinds of good fats (with examples of specific foods) should I be trying to include in my diet and what bad fats/foods should I avoid?

I need to lose about 55 lbs. I have heard that the two best ways to lose weight are either a low-fat diet or a low-carb diet. Can I really lose weight on a balanced diet?

Thanks!
Jen, a balanced diet is the best way to lose weight. A range of 20 -35% of calories may come from fats. Your question about balancing fats is best answered with the guidelines from American Heart Association and the Food Guide Pyramid. Focus on keeping bad saturated fats (from animal sources and solid at room temperature) to ≤ than 7% of your calories. These fats increase the bad cholesterol (LDL) and may lead to heart disease.

Good fats include monounsaturated fat (found in olive, canola and peanut oils, almonds and avocados) and polyunsaturated fat (found in safflower, sesame, soy, corn and sunflower-seed oils and nuts). They help to lower blood cholesterol levels when used to replace other fats in your diet to help your heart,
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #64  

Default Quick serve foods & salads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
Hello Molly Gee, thank you for taking this time to answer some of our questions. As a very obese individual who hates going out into public, I tend to eat a lot of fast food through the drive-thru. I was wonder what you think about the salads and chicken that fast food places offer as far as nutrition goes. I assume it's quite a bit better than a greasy cheeseburger, but how do they compare to those Salads-In-A-Bag in the grocery store, or just buying lettuce and so forth and tossing it all together.

Also, I love Ranch dressing with my salads. Is using regular ranch on a salad basically ruining a health meal, or is that consider nutritionally sound?

Thank you for all your great work! I love the Biggest Loser and I think everyone working with the show are doing a great job.

Antares, quick serve restaurants provide many healthful menu options including salads. Control the salad dressing to keep calories lower. Use a “diet” dressing on the side or make your own by adding a tangy balsamic vinegar to your favorite Ranch dressing. You’ll use much less. Congratulations for including salads in your eating plan.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #65  

Default Small sweets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbybear712 View Post
hello Ms. Gee, I was wondering if you could tell me is it okay to have a cheat day once a week (obviously without going over the top) when your getting ready to lose a lot of weight? or should you just restrict yourself becasue there unhealthy foods any? What would that do to the body?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbake View Post

On the last Biggest Loser, Bob said it's okay to eat dessert once a week. Is it okay to space that out with just a little bit each day?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteladybugs View Post
Jillian said that other day that she eats one peanut butter cup every day. Boy would I love to eat PB cups every day!! Is this a good idea for someone trying to lose weight? Or should I save this as a reward for reaching mini-goals?

Thanks again!
Karen
Bbybear712, Jen, Karen and others, losing weight shouldn’t be a prison sentence. “Eating clean” or eliminating sugar or processed foods is not the answer to losing weight. It goes back to energy balance in the calories found in foods we eat and burning calories in physical activity. Each person has his or her favorite foods. I always ask my clients about their favorite foods and make sure that it’s included in their eating plan.

Moderation can certainly mean a small sweet (1 chocolate peanut butter cup = 45 calories) each day like Jillian enjoys. Doesn’t she look great? She plans for this treat each day.

Try ending each meal with a five calorie piece of chewing gum. I encourage all of my patients to chew gum as a low-calorie alternative to high-calorie snacks and a diversion to help avoid those unwanted calories associated with “mindless munching. Studies show chewing gum can be a tool to help you control appetite and reduce snacking; helping you to decrease your calorie intake over time and help reshape your lifestyle.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #66  

Default Exercise on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouncermom View Post
Ms. Gee, I travel for work. My first travel dates are January 23-26. Normally (pre-dieting), I would use that (traveling) as an excuse to pig out. Order room service, eat WAY more than I should, get dessert, etc.
Now, I am terrified to travel later this month as I just started a new way of life on 1/2/08, and have been doing well.
What tips/tricks can I use when traveling to keep me focused on what I SHOULD do, instead of what I HAVE DONE in the past?
Thank you!
JULIE

Pouncermom, old habits are hard to break! Staying on track when traveling is tricky. Pick one thing you’d like to change like not exercising when you are out of town. Think of all the possible options to incorporate some activity. Enlist the help of a coworker to take a 10 minute walk during a lunch or a meeting break. Sneak in a couple of these breaks and now you are exercising while on the road.

Good luck!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #67  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Thank you so very much for answering our questions, you have no idea the level of pain you have taken me out of in my life and the years I have spent looking for the answer! So, following what you say it is all about calories in VS calories out!!! The term, "energy balance" is a little confusing to me. That is such good news!!! Bless you!

What would you advise for people such as myself with special dental work that can't chew gum? (I love the idea, by the way!!)
Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #68  

Default Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
Dear Ms. Gee,

Do you recommend vitamins/minerals/herbs/enzymes or other supplements for those on weight-loss diets? If so, which? Conversely, are there any supplements that you feel are harmful and should be avoided?

Thank you,
Jo
Quote:
Originally Posted by likenoother View Post
Ms. Gee,
I believe this is my third question ! I am terrible at taking pills but I think its important to take some type of multivitamin and/or calcium pill. As a 35 year old woman are there certain types of pills I must take on a daily basis? The least amount the better and I have a terrible time with swallowing pills also. Thanks.
Jo and Shay your question about using supplements while on a weight-loss diet is so important. Generally, I suggest taking a multi vitamin and mineral supplement while trying to lose weight. Cutting back calories may mean missing some key micronutrients.

For women, a calcium supplement with vitamin D is recommended. With most things, more is not necessarily better. Don’t take mega doses of any supplement because of potential harmful build up in your body and possible interference with prescribed medications. Keep you MD informed of any supplements you are taking for your health’s sake.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #69  
it's always something

Ms. Gee, thank you so much! We've really enjoyed and appreciated the time you took to answer our questions, and I'm sure we all learned a few things

Members - I'll post a separate thread to announce the winners of the drawing. Please check for a new sticky because Ms. Gee will return next week to answer even more of your questions! Put your thinking caps on