The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #16  

Height: 5'9"

I have 3 questions. Please feel free to answer any or all. Thank-you.

First, I have two broad questions:

1.) I've read conflicting studies about caffeine relating to daily water consumption. Some studies suggest that you have to drink additional water if you have, for example, a morning coffee because caffeine dehydrates you. Later studies claimed this to not be the case. Which is it? Can I count my morning tea or coffee toward my water intake?

2.) I've read conflicting studies about 6 small meals a day versus 3 larger meals. Initially I read that 6 smaller meals a day will keep my metabolism going all day long. About two weeks ago I read that there is no indication that is the case and, in fact, those who eat three larger daily meals tend to eat fewer calories and their metabolism is the same. Which is it?

A somewhat more personal question, but may relate to many:

1.) I currently take coumadin (warfarin) and am restricted regarding my Vitamkin K intake. I have conflicting lists regarding what vegetables and other items are high in Vitamin K and which ones are not. For the most part, I have been avoiding anything green. However, some non-green items have me confused. For example, V8 does not list Vitamin K on its can labels, can I drink it? Can I have black beans and kidney beans? I've read that mustard is a no-no, is it? I know that green-tea is out, what about red or black tea? Any help is appreciated.

Thank-you again!

Last edited by Amberelise; 01-08-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #17  
Starting over after baby!

S/C/G: 285/See Ticker/200

Height: 5'7''

Ms. Gee,

I often use frozen chicken for my lean protein. I notice there is an amount of sodium in the chicken and wonder if that could be contributing to my water retention. Even though it is more expensive, how much better is fresh chicken vs. frozen?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #18  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

My question is regarding sugar substitutes. I have seen reports that these can actually cause cravings and therefore weight gain...is this true? (BTW I sure hope not!)

Mary
Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #19  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Dear Ms. Gee,

Do you recommend vitamins/minerals/herbs/enzymes or other supplements for those on weight-loss diets? If so, which? Conversely, are there any supplements that you feel are harmful and should be avoided?

Thank you,
Jo

Last edited by Spinymouse; 01-08-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 156.6/138.6/120

Height: 5'1

Thank you so much for your time, dedication, and hard work in this field. I have a similar question to one already posted, but does putting crystal light in water really make it so that you shouldn't count it as water intake? Although trying to cut back, I drink about 60oz of water with crystal light in it a day along with about ten ounces of plain water. I feel great!
Regardless, I'd like to know! Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #21  

Hello....
My question concerns Water vs. a "Detox" diet and a detoxification process. Is drinking a recommended amount of water as beneficial as a detox diet or detoxification process? Why or Why not? If you are in favor of the detox, can you recomend a few and point me in the direction of doing more research on them?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #22  
FoodieMama

S/C/G: 325/160/165

Hello Ms. Gee,
Like the other posters before me, I want to thank you for taking the time to help answer some of our questions.
#1. When a person has good sucess and loses some weight, then "falls of the wagon" and gains it back, why is it that is is sometimes harder to lose the same weight again less than a year later? I assume it must have something to do with losing muscle mass.
#2. Is it possible to gain 3-5 lbs of fat in a weekend, or is that mostly water gain in that short of a time? For example, you do great on your diet all week and splurge a little over the weekend. The scale is up 5 lbs on Monday and by the following Friday it is only back down by 2. Did you really gain 5 lbs of fat or just 5 lbs of water?
Thanks again and have a great day!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #23  
Lionel's Beautiful

Height: 5'3

hello Ms. Gee, I was wondering if you could tell me is it okay to have a cheat day once a week (obviously without going over the top) when your getting ready to lose a lot of weight? or should you just restrict yourself becasue there unhealthy foods any? What would that do to the body?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #24  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 505/480/475(mini-goal)

Hello Molly Gee, thank you for taking this time to answer some of our questions. As a very obese individual who hates going out into public, I tend to eat a lot of fast food through the drive-thru. I was wonder what you think about the salads and chicken that fast food places offer as far as nutrition goes. I assume it's quite a bit better than a greasy cheeseburger, but how do they compare to those Salads-In-A-Bag in the grocery store, or just buying lettuce and so forth and tossing it all together.

Also, I love Ranch dressing with my salads. Is using regular ranch on a salad basically ruining a health meal, or is that consider nutritionally sound?

Thank you for all your great work! I love the Biggest Loser and I think everyone working with the show are doing a great job.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #25  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Dear Ms. Gee,

I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, and autoimmune disease and recently found out that I cannot take NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or even aspirin, because they cause me breathing difficulties and asthma symptons. I've started taking fish oil supplements instead, and am interested in an anti-inflammatory diet, but some of the advice I've read is contradictory. What would you recommend in this regard, and what are the best resources for this information?

Thank you,
Old 01-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #26  

Though I've removed the weight I wanted to, when I gain, I find it MUCH harder to get the weight off--it's much, much slower. What can I do beyond going back to my original weight loss plan to get the couple pounds I gain on a relapse off more quickly?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #27  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Ms Gee,

I am hoping you can answer a question about nutrition for children. My 3 year old eats the same foods we do, and lately we've been limiting carbs to whole grains only, trying to avoid white flour, and eating less fat in general. We eat lots of fruits, veggies and lean proteins (occasional beef or pork). He is lactose intolerant, so his dairy is limited to the (few) lactose free products we can find...usually milk and cheese.

Is this a suitable diet for a growing child, or should I make a special effort to provide him with more fat in his diet, or a certain number of calories, etc per day?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:51 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ms. Gee! I was wondering what the appropriate number of calories would be for me to lose at a healthy rate? I am a 28 year old woman who weighs 224 pounds, and I am trying to exercise at least 30 minutes, 6 days per week as well as weights 3 times per week. I have read that I should be eating anywhere from 1200 to 2400 to lose, so I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Hi Ms. Gee, thanks so much for taking the time to help us out!

I have two questions for you:

1) I'm an asthmatic, and I'm always seeking to manage my asthma better. Is there anything I can do nutritionally to manage it, such as avoiding or adding in particular foods?

2) How do you feel about packaged breakfast foods like Oatmeal to Go? I keep them in the cupboards for days that I don't have time to make breakfast; am I right that it's better to have something like an Oatmeal to Go bar and a piece of fruit than no breakfast at all?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #30  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Ms. Gee, thank you for your time and support.

I have a quite few questions about 5 months of worth: I'm a recovering veggie hater and I tend to have one veggie(broccolli) almost everyday either alone or with other veggies. Is it that bad not to have a diverse array of veggies?

Should you just drink the recommended 8 glasses of water or half your weight in water? I'm so confused on what is the best amount of water. One book says this and one book says this.

I've noticed that I do not ingest alot of fat. Is this bad? I tend to eat almonds with breakfast and most the lean protien I eat is under 5 grams of fat. I try to add healthy fats into my food in a later meal.

I know I heard that the best way to gain muscle is to drink cow's milk but when I started this journey I switched to soy milk. I really love drinking soy milk and I don't want to switch back but I want to have optimal muscle gains. Will soy milk effect muscle gains that much?

Speaking of soy, I've heard that soy is bad for you and good for you. Can you clear the air about soy?

Thank you thank you so much. I have pondered these questions long and hard for many hours before.