The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #721  
Catherine

S/C/G: 446/389/200

Height: 6'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette k View Post
I think they were required to go out to eat and the friends and family weres supposed to tempt them.
Thats exactly what I thought. I mean, come on. Bernie's friends just happen to drag him to his favourite bakery, where wow, they named a cupcake or something after him? And then he just stands around while they stand and eat infront of him the way they did? Please. If that was me, I would be out the door. I wouldnt even walk in the place.

It was definately set up to test them..in an obvious way. To make it more "interesting"
Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #722  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I think there was something fishy on the timing of this one. One clue was Paul saying something about having a week here (talking about the ranch) to work out. The other was Paul’s girlfriend saying in the end that she just dropped him off a week ago. That would seem to be indicating that he had been away from home a week in-between the first week and getting voted off, instead of just a day or two. I could be wrong about these two things and I already erased the show so I can’t go back and check. Also, with all that he ate I was really shocked that Paul lost anything. It seems like they must have had more time in there.

I had no sympathy for Paul getting voted off with his behavior at home. If I was Jillian I would be really pissed off too. I can’t believe he totally ignored her!

Also, I thought the promos were rather funny when they called the blue team something like an unstoppable force . . . um, the black team took 2 weigh ins and several challenges in a row. How is it that the blue team is so unbeatable?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #723  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

I think what made the ultimate difference was that the Blue team treated this as a Challenge and not as a mini-vacation. I think that Mark's talk to his wife in the kitchen at home showed that they were still in ranch mode, not party mode.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #724  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Yeah, you are prolly right about that Bette. I sometimes forget that the producer's of this show set things up for the 'drama" of it all.

Did I hear right last night that Jillian wanted them to get in 15 miles in one day??? I am lucky to get that in one week, much less a day. How long would ya have to be on the treadmill to get in 15 miles??? anyone know???
I thought it was 15 miles in the week they were gone? Dang, 15 miles a DAY? That's more than a 1/2 marathon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
I found out by watching this show that Paul and Kelly live in my city! How weird is that!
Go check out the 24 hour fitness place for us and see if he's working out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krjpy View Post
I think what made the ultimate difference was that the Blue team treated this as a Challenge and not as a mini-vacation. I think that Mark's talk to his wife in the kitchen at home showed that they were still in ranch mode, not party mode.
Mark is still a twerp, but at least he's going to be a thin twerp who keeps the weight off. He's one of the few who get that you have to change your whole lifestyle, not just temporarily diet.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #725  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I think Jay is a sweetie, but I think Mark is a bully. I mean seriously. I am still not over how he yelled at and disrespected his brother during the challenege in the beginning. When he was home last night I was paying close attention to how his wife behaved and was actually looking for signs of abuse (mental). Of course if there is any at all, I am sure she was doing her best to hide it and cover it up. He just seems like the type to me. I don't blame him at all for tossing the food the way he did, but I still don't like him....that being said, I like him more than I did Paul. I think Paul has serious issues.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #726  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Diva--I agree with Dixiedieter. I thing it was 15 miles for the week. I also noticed that about the whiney voices too...like nails on a chalkboard. Paul and Kelly are those people when you see them coming you're thinking "oh here we go". She'll be crying and he'll be *****ing.

Notthecheat--It's not clearly stated anywhere but I think they had a week at home and a week at the ranch. So I believe it was a two week weigh in.

I think the Blue team loses next week and Mark votes off Roger. He is a threat. They better watch out, Dan puts up some big numbers. Whoever said it that boy does need a haircut. Someone needs to tell those guys on American Idol too. Long hair is over!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #727  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkemomx2 View Post
I don't remember in all the past seasons if anyone ever didn't have a nice house. By the looks of things they could all have afforded personal trainers, IMO.
You'd have to be able to afford to be off work for up to 4 months, right? That eliminates a lot of people. I think some contestants actually even quit their jobs. I'm not sure if we could do it financially or otherwise - I don't have family here to watch my kids while DH works. And we couldn't afford the 1500/mo for full time daycare.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #728  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Quote:
I found out by watching this show that Paul and Kelly live in my city! How weird is that!
Quote:
Go check out the 24 hour fitness place for us and see if he's working out.
I went to the 24 Hour Fitness website. If you use Titusville there is not a gym around anywhere. The closest I could find was near Fort Lauderdale nearly 190 miles away. There is one in West Palm Beach that is supposed to be opening in March. What kind of gift is that if you can't use it?

I also couldn't find on in my home state of Michigan.

Last edited by zinkemomx2; 02-20-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #729  

Quote:
I went to the 24 Hour Fitness website. If you use Titusville there is not a gym around anywhere. The closest I could find was near Fort Lauderdale nearly 190 miles away. There is one in West Palm Beach that is supposed to be opening in March. What kind of gift is that if you can't use it?

I also couldn't find on in my home state of Michigan.
Yep. That's useful. About the same amount of useful as that free Bally's pass they give out on the National Body Challenge. There aren't any of those here either.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #730  

I went back and watched the tape again. Kelly clearly says her homework is 15 miles a DAY!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #731  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
I went back and watched the tape again. Kelly clearly says her homework is 15 miles a DAY!
Who has that kind of time?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #732  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

A brisk walk is about 3.5 mph, I believe so that would take up to 4.5 hours. Max running speed I think is about 25 mph and the average about 15 mph (I'm assuming these numbers are for healthy, in-shape people though). I don't see Kelly being able to sustain a 15mph speed for an hour. So more than an hour and less than 5. Doable, I suppose if you have absolutely nothing else to do (and you've built your calf muscles up).
Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM   #733  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

*rolling eyes* brillant....giving out free lifetime gym membership that you can't even use unless you move from where you live. One would think somebody behind the scenes would have done their homework first. I bet Paul ends up selling it on Ebay....
Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #734  

It's probably non transferable, lol.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #735  

Quote:
Based on my speeds on the treadmill, it would take me 4.5 hours to walk that distance. Of course they are supposed to run more than I do, so I'm guessing it would take them about 3.5 hours. That's just a little over 4 mph.