The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #361  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Chellez - I totally agree with your comments on the grey team. I recently watched season 2 because I hadn't seen it when I was on, and I was so moved by what good people both Dr. Jeff and Pete were. I know it is a game, but I really hate all the game play stuff.

I really didn't like how they made it all against one. I thought it was really cruel. The producers want drama and they are going to stir things up as much as possible to get it. I even wonder if some of the producers don't suggest to the contestants to do things like try and throw weigh-ins.

I really liked that the yellow team gave their letters to the others, regardless if it was game play or not. It was a really generous thing to do. Then of course the Trekkie in me melts a little bit when anyone quotes Spock. I also don’t understand the argument about choosing anything besides game play as the reward for winning the weigh in. To me it is a no-brainer because you can see your family once it is done and if you manage to win you can buy yourself all kinds of luxury.

I was sad to see the pink go, but at this point I will be sad to see anyone go except for Mark. I figured they would have to go to individuals soon or else their season would be REALLY short.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #362  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch parts of the show. I thought the Yellow Team said they would only vote for the Pink, Purple or Black because they were the ones who voted for the Yellow Team. And I can kinda see why, I'd be thinking, "You wanted to put us out, we'll put you out."

Melissa - Last year when my Mom, Aunt and Grandma came down for a visit we went shopping and we got separated in the store. I was looking for my Mom and said to my Aunt, there she is....umm, no wait, that's me, it's a mirror. Horrifying!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #363  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Okay...at the risk of alienating everyone here, I have to say that I love the orange team. They plan like Hubby and I would play...and, they're still losing weight! If you don't like trash talking, you'd hate to play card games or board games with us! We think the trash talking is the funnest part.

Anybody notice that Bette Sue didn't participate in the challenge last night? Yet, she did get letters? That's not too fair.

The ex-Hubby on the yellow team is a bit nutty, huh? Ninja master wanna be!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #364  
Nancy

Rhonda - There were several people who didn't end up participating in the challenge since yellow was so far ahead of the others. Bette Sue would have had to go eventually but they just didn't get to her. That isn't her fault. I really like the orange team too. I think if I were in the game I would probably play it like they do.

The thing that keeps annoying me the most is that in the end it is a GAME. That is what makes me so confused as to why people take things so personally. It isn't like anyone has a choice not to vote someone off. If they are all working hard, none of them deserve to go home more or less than anyone else.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #365  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
Rhonda - There were several people who didn't end up participating in the challenge since yellow was so far ahead of the others. Bette Sue would have had to go eventually but they just didn't get to her. That isn't her fault. I really like the orange team too. I think if I were in the game I would probably play it like they do.
Actually, at the beginning of the competition, there was only one pink shirt...Bette Sue was missing from the line-up.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #366  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

Rhonda - I see your ticker is coming down. Good for you!!

I used to be an American Idol fan but got totally turned off last year when I learned about the votefortheworst website. That website completely scewed the results of the AI competition IMO. What bothered me is that the AI people KNOW about the website and yet completely ignore it. It's BS.

At least with TBL people KNOW the orange team gained water weight on purpose to keep the Yellow Team on. I think it was crappy they didn't tell Bob and I hope he calls them on it.

I loved the pink team. They were quietly kicking butt and got booted for it. I don't, however, understand why they voted for the yellow team in the first place. Maybe they secretly hated the wife . . . lol!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #367  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Dee...you are probably right with it being purple and not gray.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #368  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Now I need to wrestle the tv away from the kids so I can go watch that part of the show again.

Maybe if they didn't show so much of the crying about the letters we would have known if Bette Sue had an injury.

I was all for the pink team just because I liked Bette Sue's spunk. But now that she is gone, clearly I am with the ranks of all the rest of you smart gals in rooting for grey. They seem pretty real and so far have acted like really nice guys all the way around.

I would love to see a woman win it someday but I don't think that will happen unless they all start banding together to vote the men off. I would also prefer it to be that the lowest percentage person goes home. No ifs, ands, or buts. Not quite as much drama that way obviously, but I get tired of the game play. You are there to lose weight. Lose it or go home.

Last edited by zinkemomx2; 01-23-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #369  
Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Actually, at the beginning of the competition, there was only one pink shirt...Bette Sue was missing from the line-up.
Oops - I didn't notice that. Sorry about that.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #370  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

If you watch closely... when everyone was on the treadmills Bettie Sue was on the bike alone in front of them. I think there's also a part of the show that you can see her ankle wrapped.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #371  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Maybe that was from Bette Sue's fall on the treadmill? How long ago was that?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #372  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

Maybe someone with tivo would go back to the "private meeting" going on when deciding to do the water. As it ended they were saying pink, gray and Jenn must never find out? Was Maggie in on it and not Jenn from purple? What teams were there? And who was walking by outside as they were all leaving wanting to know what they were all talking about?

LOL I hope Bob whips all there behinds next week!!!

Last edited by iwmonn; 01-23-2008 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #373  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I personally like to think they didn't want to get Jenn involved since she had such low numbers all the time. I really need to watch that episode again.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #374  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Yes, that's what it was, one of the purples was in the hall saying "what's going on?" as they walked out and then it faded to commercial. SO we were unclear as if they looped her in or WHY they would keep her out (would she be opposed? The friend with MORALS? lol) But yes in the weigh in, it did appear that one of the purps was playing while the other was really trying hard that week and Bob gave her the death ray with his evil eye when he noticed the gap in the 2 of them. ANd he only spoke bad about her number, not the other girl.

The "water rule" they implemented is in place, but it's been stated by Alison as only, you must lose at least one pound our you will be eliminated. So they are not allowed to stay even or gain, but if they lose even one lb (like orangesun) they are safe. They are really cutting it close to play with numbers like that - what if they guess wrong with measuring the water and do too much? It's a crapshoot for sure.

I don't know why pink cast the final vote for yellow in the beginning either! It was probably just personalities OR, OR the beginning of an alliance we didn't get to see much of bc it was killed b4 it could get off the ground (purp, pink and black!!) Hmmmm....... I could see where black would ally with them - neither would be a threat to them but could keep them safe in votes if it ever came to it and black could keep pink & purp around til the end knowing they would never take home the cheese.

Verrrrry interesting!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #375  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hey y'all: The water rule only works if a team/player has been given immunity and they "pull a Neil" or "pull a Matt" and water load to give them a good number at a weigh in that counts. What the orange team did not violate anything, since they did not have immunity at the weigh in.

And I HATE that pink is gone....who's gonna make those weird faces that Bette-Sue used to make? LOL