The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

Default Question about strategy/game play in TBL

Hey everyone

We get TBL down here in Australia, although I'm not sure which season we're up to. It's the one where that fellow just gained 17 pounds for a weigh in, by drinking 2 gallons of water just before it.

I don't understand how that works. How does putting on weight benefit you on the show, and why did everyone get mad at him, saying that it was a plan to get rid of others on his team?

I don't understand!

Kylie
Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Hi Kyle, that's the current season we're watching in the US, sounds like you are about 1/2 the season behind us, as our finale is next week.

That's Neal, and if I remember quickly, he had immunity that week and so could not be voted off. Therefore, by gaining a huge amount of water weight that week, he would post a higher number than normal, KNOWING that he would quickly lose all that (within 24-48 hrs) plus MORE by the next weigh-in. So in effect, he would lose all those 17 lbs plus probably 8-10 more, which was his standard loss. What he basically did was guarantee himself of being the biggest loser at the next weigh in.

Does that make sense?
Old 12-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

righto...what a schmuck!

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elerine View Post
righto...what a schmuck!
Exactly. Welcome Elerine!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #5  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

really stupid move, but he didnt have immunity, he ended up being up for eliminations but he knew he had the votes against the other 2 people on his team. His actions were to ensure that one of the other 2 people on his team were kicked off.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

That's right! I knew there had to be another twist beyond just gaining his own weight to get the wrath of so many people - that's what it was, he somehow played with fire and put others in the direct line of elimination.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #7  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

They DID add a new rule to players with immunity that if they gained weight at the weigh-in, that the immunity was null and void. Here's hoping that applies to all seasons from now on.