3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing

The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #166
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hey Michelle - Welcome aboard. Your exercise program sounds very cool.

So, here's my update. I just saw my Dr. He x-rayed my knee and it is arthritis caused from wear and tear on my knee joint. I asked about exercise, he said swimming and bicycling. He said don't do squats or lunges anymore. Whew - how do I feel about that? Bittersweet. I do wonder how much damage I did while doing some of my more extreme activities.

Anyway, it is time to move on. I am glad I have some answers now. He gave me a shot. Told me to take it easy over the weekend and then to see what I could handle. I drove right on over to the Y and checked out the facility. I will probably join for the pool and the exercise bikes but I thought I could at least give myself a couple days to make sure that is what I wanted to do.

I am super motivated to lose the weight. Sad that it takes something like this to bring it home. It isn't like I didn't know the consequences of obesity.
Anyway, it is all coming off. I will be setting a goal and getting very realistic about this. I do not want to be the fat lady in the motorized cart at the grocery store.

I love hiking. I will do it again. It might be a while, but I will be back on the trails.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #167
Lovin' Zumba!

Ledom,
Glad you've finally got some answers. I hear you about the lunge/squat thing being bittersweet. But that's why I refuse to jump right into BFL or Jillian's workouts like I did 5 years ago - I know this extra weight has put a strain on my knees, and I don't want to risk hurting myself.

I could really use some of that motivation - I don't want to be that old lady in Wal-Mart either - I see it all the time and it is sad....

I think a bike can give you a pretty good workout - it's not weight-bearing, but if it has arms that swing, you can get your heartrate up. And there's always spinning! That's a bike! I'm sure Gina would love to give you some tips on that!!

Hey, time to get out of here and go home - I'm outta here! Have a great weekend everyone!
Cindy
Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #168
Chick

I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was good. The swelling in my knee has responded to the anti-inflamitory shot I got. Mostly. There is still one place way down on my calf that is still puffy. This is all so new. I am researching and have come up with solutions but it is a learning process.

I went ahead and bought my Y membership. It will probably be the end of the week before I get over there though. Will be out of town tomorrow and hope to pick up a swimsuit.

Food and scale going my way. I had a big bowl of chicken soup last night at a mexican restaurant that I think was full of salt so I am up a little this a.m., but I on the whole feel very good about the weekend eating. Not as tight as during the week, but pretty stable with just a couple of treats. I think by tomorrow I might be back to my Friday weight. Anyway, I am starting to feel more like myself. I have my next size down jeans on this a.m. and that goes a long way to contribute to that feeling of being more comfortable in my own skin.

Got a huge ordeal at work solved too. I have been chairing a search committee for a new faculty member and believe it or not folks, it's hard to fill positions these days. But I think we ended up with a perfectly perfect guy that is going to be great to work with. We have been working on this for a while. Today I get to finish the paperwork on the search. Ahhh, putting the semester to bed. One more month and it will be summer break. I am always happy to see it, but this year I NEED it.

Everyone have a good week.

Last edited by ledom; 04-14-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #169
Chick

Hi everyone. How's it going?

I am feeling pretty darn good. I have been eating the super foods way for about a month now. I am dropping about 2 lbs. a week so far. And today? I went to the Y! I did 10 min. on the bike and 10 min on the elliptical. My knee did pretty good. I though the elliptical was slightly easier on my knee, but maybe some of the other bikes they have would be a better fit. I try them all out.

I know it's not much but after my 9 mo. hiatus, it felt pretty darn good and just hard enough.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #170
Chick

Morning all. It is a beautiful sunny morning here. I plan to work out in my yard today.

I finally decided to 'fess up about my weight with a ticker and I can't make it work! I followed the directions. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I made it, copied it into my signature box, and pressed save but nothing is showing up under my post.

Edited to say, never mind. I guess I just needed to make that first post because now there it is.

Last edited by ledom; 04-19-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #171
Lovin' Zumba!

Hello everyone, happy weekend!

I'm in for a break from the yard work - plants are just starting to come up, so now's the time for cleaning up and moving stuff. But it's just too darn hot in the sun - so I think I'll take a break until the areas I need to work on are in the shade - my "northern vampire" skin just can't take the heat!

I've decided that I'm going to try to follow Weight Watchers for a while. With DH's eating habits, it's nearly impossible to for me to avoid all his "bad" foods, and I get irritated when he can eat them and I can't. So, instead of trying to follow a plan which requires me to eat cleanly all the time, I'm going to try to allow for the snacks and desserts that he insists on having around. I'm thinking this could help my all or nothing mentality - if I eat a couple cookies, and count the points for them, then I'm still on track, as opposed to that meaning I'm "off plan" on the other plans. Does that make sense.

Ledom - good for you for having the courage to update your ticker. I still don't want to, but ironically, I'm right about where you are weight-wise.

I'm really hoping that some structure will help me to get myself back in control, eating-wise, and that can only lead to more good things!

Hope you all are having a great weekend!
Cindy
Old 04-27-2008, 08:44 PM   #172
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi gals - happy new week!

I thought I'd try a new avatar for a change - I got put on the blue team for the TBL challenge on here, so I did something blue. I'm kind of bummed about being put on the blue team -being a Jillian groupie, I was hoping for the red or black... just my luck - only a 33% chance of being put blue, and I was!

Whatever - the real purpose of doing this is to keep me accountable for the next 15 weeks. I'll have to log my weekly weigh-ins and I'm hoping that will keep me motivated.

My first week of WW ended successfully - even with TOM, I'm down 4# so far ( I cheated and peeked early!). Mondays are my weigh-ins, so I really won't record anything until tomorrow.

Had that great Puerto Rican dish again tonight - Asopao de Pollo. Their version of paella, but a little more like a stew than just a rice dish. Lots of green olives and capers, so the salt might have my weight up. But, its so good, I don't mind. I got it from the Cooking Light website, if you're interested.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Cindy
Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 AM   #173
Chick

Good luck with your challenge Cindy. I like your blue avatar. Congrats on your good weigh-in.

My week was so so. Only down a quarter of a lb. this week. I know why. I think this week will be a lot better.

I cooked for my kids yesterday and we had a great meal and today I am ready for salads for lunch all week and just general good behavior. Local strawberries for sale this and last week at the farm stand. They are so good!

Last edited by ledom; 04-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #174

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Is there room here for one more Jillian Girl? I am a huge Jillian fan, follow her book and her DVDs, and would love to join your group here

August 25: 245 (Mini Goals: 283, 277, 271, 264, 258, 251, 245)
October 31: 199
November 27: 180
January 1: 165
February 15: 150
Old 04-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #175
Chick

of course...welcome Purplefirefly
Old 04-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #176
Lovin' Zumba!

Ledom - I wondered if you'd recognize what my avatar is - being an artsy person as you are? It's my favorite thing to see at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Welcome purplefirefly!

Hey, did anyone listen to Jillan's show with TBL winner Ali on it? I don't know if it was available yet - I really want to listen to it.
Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 04-28-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #177

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I listened to Jillian's show this AM and Ali is extremely inspiring, I just hung on so much of what she said Definitey listen, and it is available today on the On Demand on the website.

August 25: 245 (Mini Goals: 283, 277, 271, 264, 258, 251, 245)
October 31: 199
November 27: 180
January 1: 165
February 15: 150
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #178
Chick

Cindy - just a guess. Is it a Tiffany stained glass piece?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #179
Lovin' Zumba!

They are actually windows by Marc Chagall - the funny thing is that I thought they were the ones in Chicago, but they are actually in the UN building in NYC! I love colored light, and I especially love all the blue from his windows!

I'm hungry today
Cindy
Old 04-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #180
Chick

Even better! I didn't know about Chagall's stained glass. Had to google it. How perfect. I have always loved his paintings.

Sorry you are hungry - do you ever drink chai tea. I am loving Tazo Chai these days. Don't know if it would help, but maybe.