3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing

The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

TBL Season 4 Weekly Show Discussion - *SPOILERS*

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #31

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Of course Amber was cut out for the show! This is made for tv drama, not accident. Being the "whiny baby" gave people at home someone to root against. It's also why they picked a wider range of big gals and guys and ages and types and the third "secret" team. It's all by design, not accident.

This is what is hard to remember in fairly well-planned reality shows. These aren't in any way reflecting reality, they're "unscripted television." The situations and drama are to a certain degree planned by the producers. They are picking people who WON'T get along because it's better tv watching, not because it's in anyone's (except the producers') best interests.

It's almost like people confusing soap operas with reality, and bashing the "villain" when they're seen in real life. The more I think about it, the more I know my husband is right. If someone gets hurt on that show, it's as much the fault of us who are watching than the idiot who put fame and prize money before their health, and the producers for setting up the situation.

I HATE not being strong enough to turn away. It's like a train wreck, I have to watch. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #32
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Anyone who sez Jillian lacks compassion needs to read the 3FC thread where she posted answers to our questions. Jillian is REAL and tells it like it is. No sugar coating...I have gotten SO much inspiration and information from her 2 books and her weekly radio show.
Bob rawks, too...but Jillian kicks my butt!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #33

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

They also edit the show to make contestants and trainers more likeable/unlikeable. Producers are likely to edit out scenes of Jillian being compassionate, or Bob being mean, in the interest of polarizing viewers. They want you to root for one "side" and if both sides are too similar, the show is less watchable.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM   #34
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I've seen TBL Australia--and they show Jillian's softer, supportive, compassionate side way more often on that show. I think that the producers like to edit Jillian to make her seem like 100% hardass. She's really only 95% hardass

Anyway, chick_in_the_hat, I'm reading that old thread and it is SO sweet that she actually came on here to answer individual questions...I just wish that I had been here then, so I could let her know personally what in inspiration she is!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #35
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

You have to wonder why they choose exactly the scenes, comments, looks, etc. that they do. You figure they are condensing down an entire week into an hour - who knows what else happened? How do we know that it was only Amber who said she wanted to go home? Sure, that is the one person we saw, but the producers want us to not like her by the time she gets voted off. I wish we could see a less over-produced form of what actually takes place.

86 pounds down, now for the next bit - fourth short term goal (back to 100 down):
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #36
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I'm gonna be honest...

I'm getting a little buzz killed from all this talk about the producers and what not.

I know it's the truth and what not, but can't we just accept the show for what it is and just watch it?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #37
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooled View Post
And holy cow that guy losing 31 pounds in a week. My jaw dropped. I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't see more of the black team, because I'm a Jillian fangirl. I was thinking maybe we won't be seeing as much of them because the blue and red teams were legitimately picked, and so not getting as much face time is the penalty for not being picked for the original teams.
Oh we'll be seeing them once they join the other 2 teams at the school, I think that's where they're at. That's next week and it's 2hrs long again.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #38
I believe in myself

S/C/G: 257/200/160

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchy View Post
So I missed it but am curious [as I'm signed up to be on the black team on here...] what exactly is the deal with the black team? Was it a surprise extra team or something?

Yep, Bob and Kim don't know that Jillian is back,yet.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #39
No more Buddha belly!

S/C/G: 275/see sig/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
My question is, do they choose women without many stretch marks or do they airbrush them out? All those women seemed to have such nice skin. I have quite a lot of stretch marks in that area.
Me too! Bleh! But I was watching the show on a high-definition channel over here in Mass, and I saw stretch marks on both women and men. Not everyone but I think most had them.

Boy, after getting up on a stage in a sports bra and bike shorts on national TV, I think nothing could shame me after that experience

I agree with kaplods that it is scary to watch sometimes, and definitely the losses are way extreme. But... I have to say I am madly inspired by the show also. I mean, look at these people, all obese, doing things like pulling a plane! Or trying to run with someone pulling you back? For what, 6 hours a day?!

Meanwhile, I find a 30 minute intro workout with "Yourself!Fitness" to be so exhausting, I need to keep telling Maya the virtual trainer that she's lucky I'm still there

Maybe there's amphetamines in that gum they were pushing

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? ~Mary Oliver
Old 09-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #40

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I've watched re-runs, but this is the first time I've watched it from the get go. I do like Jillian and have seen that she left the first time because she didn't like the way she was portrayed. Bob doesn't do much for me...he's a little too sensitive, not at all what I would want in a trainer.

I enjoy the show and all, but I do find some of the things that they do (ie losing 30 lbs in a week) to be dangerous and I can only hope that people know who are watching that it is not realistic. I have a lot of criticism for the show but enjoy it for what it is...however, I don't think it's a good idea to just gloss over the negatives. I can't accept things for what they are when they are obviously wrong and unrealistic.
I do like watching people lose weight, so I watch the show, but with a disclaimer always in my head: This is not the way weight loss in real life is

Fitness Blog: Running in a Fat Suit
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #41

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkshireGrl View Post
Me too! Bleh! But I was watching the show on a high-definition channel over here in Mass, and I saw stretch marks on both women and men. Not everyone but I think most had them.

Boy, after getting up on a stage in a sports bra and bike shorts on national TV, I think nothing could shame me after that experience
This is so true! I wince everytime I see the opening weigh ins and I always picture myself up there instead and how I would die on the spot.

Fitness Blog: Running in a Fat Suit
Old 09-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #42
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I'll have to check it out in HD next time.

I just checked out some of the clips on the TBL website. I thought we would see progress weigh-ins from the black team already, but I guess it is just initial weigh-ins, unless I missed it.

I really liked the idea of time capsules that they did. That is a really cool idea to capture your perceptions of yourself at the start and see exactly how they change through your journey.

86 pounds down, now for the next bit - fourth short term goal (back to 100 down):

Last edited by NotTheCheat : 09-13-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #43

S/C/G: 186/186/160

Height: 5.8

Just fininshed watching TBL. Like some of the other posts, I had only seen reruns on the Style channel. I wasn't really sure if I liked Jillian, but after reading her replies to questions that were asked here on 3FC, I definately think she's cool.

30 lbs. by Christmas Challenge
Old 09-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #44
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

bumping this up so everyone can use it tonight.... the chat link is on the first page!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #45
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 16/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

It was so much fun chatting last week. I think I will do it again but I'm wondering if I may check in later. I've read some of things posted here about last week's show and I thought when did that happen? Did I miss something?
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.