The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default TIME Article: Life as The Biggest Loser

An interesting read......

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...627013,00.html
Old 06-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #2  
Master of disaster

S/C/G: 269/ticker/160

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for that, Jen!

I have been killing myself working out so I can drop the weight like they did on The Biggest Loser! I've gained muscle weight, and I just could not understand how they were able to dump such large numbers every week. It never occured to me that they would allow contenstants to dehydrate themselves to show "weight loss."

This is also the first time I've heard of the contestants' massive weight gains.

Hmmmm....time to reevaluate my plan.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

I feel the same way Michelle! I feel my eyes were opened by this article. As inspirational as TBL is, we have to remember that their results are NOT typical!
Old 06-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The results are not typical because the methods they use are not typical. Not many people can be tucked away for months at a time and be able to devote over 6 hours a day to exercising. Or have personal trainers and chefs at their disposal 24/7. Oh yeah and most of us don't have a $250,00 bonus dangled in front of us either.

I think the most telling thing about the article when it stated they don't have a show "The Biggest Maintainer." These people were encouraged to lose weight - and quickly. They were never, ever prepped to maintain that loss. It's too bad that the show didn't help them all out with that afterwards.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 191/184/110

Height: 5'2"

Hi All!

I'm Lori, and I'm new to 3FC. Great read, that article was. I never would have guessed that dehydration would have played into their weight loss as much as it apparently has. I did figure out early on tho' that their weight loss (with the exception of the 36 at-home contestants) was nowhere near typical.

I've read the book, and just started on the diet last week. I'm looking forward to being a part of your group!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #6  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Congratulations Lorianne and Welcome to 3FC!! Wouldnt it be grand to be able to drop 20 lbs in a week like they do on the show LOL! Slow and steady, we'll all get there as long as we dont give up on ourselves. Good luck on the journey to the fitter healthier you!!

~melissa
Old 07-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #7  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I was actually at Outback this past Saturday and just happened to pick up the TIME magazine that had this article in it. (JFYI: It has a very interesting article in it about the science of hunger.)

I can't believe that the guy from season one gained so much weight in 5 days. What was it like 30 some odd pounds... crazy.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #8  

Thanks for the welcome, Melissa!

I tried jello's sugar free fat free cheescake instant pudding this weekend. Let it set for a bit and topped it with a few strawberries to have my very own strawberry cheesecake. It wasn't half bad (not as good as real-deal cheesecake, but a very suitable diet substitute) for under 100 calories. Yum!
Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #9  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Sounds fantastic!! I love the SF jello and puddings. And have you seen they have Strawberry coolwhip? Its SO good...not SF or FF but its still only 25 calories for 2 TBSP.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #10  

You bet... slap some of that between 2 graham crackers and stick it in the freezer for a bit to let it firm up.... oh yummy!!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I saw the issue a few weeks ago and was very disillusioned about TBL. I knew they were in the DisneyWorld of WL at the ranch, but was saddened to hear of the "techniques" used before a weigh in. Especially when Matt (the wrestler guy) did it in Season 2, and then the Salt Lake chic did it again this season when she had an immunity and knew she couldn't go home - she gained like 5 lbs that week to send her partner home, which made her have a huge loss the following week when it counted for her. Ever since people have begun to "work" the rules to their benefit, it seems not as genuine. But I don't know what the fix is for that and I will still tune in for season 4.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

I can't thank you enough for sharing that link! Like Michelle I have been just about killing myself at the gym trying to duplicate TBL's results! After a little thought & a lot of chatting with my super health conscious grown daughter, I should be happy with a 1-3 lb loss, heck any south movement on the scales is good. What I'm thinking now is better map out a good maintence plan.

Nice to know the rest of us are normal.

Have a great day & stay strong!
Marylynn
Old 08-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #13  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

That's a great article. Thanks for the post.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks for sharing this article - talk about enlightening. I am a little disappointed in the contestants with the dehydrating and other "tricks" but I suppose that it is first and foremost about the MONEY, not the change in lifestyle. I wonder how the contestants who get kicked off the show early in the season fare in the long term, and if they have any more success.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:29 PM   #15  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

Thank you for posting this article about TBL. I have been watching a lot of TBL reruns on The Style Channel lately, and have really gotten into the show. I love seeing how these people lose so much weight, but I do know it isn't realistic since not all of us can exercise for 6 hours a day with personal trainers and chefs. I couldn't believe how much weight some of the winners put back on after the show was over.

I will continue to watch the show during the new season but will take it with a large grain of salt to remember what this article said. Slow and steady!