Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Height: 5'2"

Default Red Team Fall into Fitness 2013 CHAT Thread Week 5 (11/4/13 - 11/11/13)

Our team total loss for week 4 was 9.7 pounds (0.24%) last week. I think Halloween festivities got the best of some of us this week. Or maybe I'm only speaking for myself Because some of you had a great week!

Individual results:
cleanccowgirl (4.2 pounds, 1.91%)

Honorable Mentions:
EofAZ (3.0 pounds, 1.53%)
Nightkatt (3.8 pounds, 1.36%)
Rated (195 pounds, 0.84%)

So I had a tough week and am questioning whether I want to stick with the Medifast plan (that I know works when I stick to it), or whether I want to try something different because I'm finding it impossible to stick to the incredibly restrictive MF plan.

So my question of the week - What things have you done along your weight loss journey to "shake things up" - and have they worked or backfired?

Have a terrific week 5 Team Red!
Old 11-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #2  
MF 3/31/13

S/C/G: 261/ticker/155 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth779 View Post
I apologize for being absent. I've been really messing up and actually living in "carb overload city" otherwise known as "playing with fire." I have lost well from January this year, but since end of May have been up down up down up down up down up down up down up down (well you get the picture) 10 pounds.....and I've used every excuse in the book.

So I'm back on low carb, going to get the move on and move this body some more and take off some more fat.....

I have lots of reasons to continue on my weight loss journey and not a decent reason at all for just doing the up down up down up down weight thingeeeee.....actually I'm disgusted with doing that. I didn't work so hard to get here from 298 just to return to all my old disgusting habits....

So, back to low carb healthy eating....salads, veggies, berries, healthy protein....and need to be more active.....AND need to drink more water and less diet pepsi -- have really increased my diet pepsi intake the last few months and not only is it expensive, but I just need to be drinking more water.
Oh my gosh, Elizabeth, I could have written this post almost word for word. I'm so disgusted with myself that I can't just DO what I know works! The mental game of this weight loss deal is really wearing me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FickleHearts View Post
Fitness wise..... Fitbit really makes me push myself. I've yet to go over much beyond 10k steps a day, but I am going to really make that 15k a priority now that my legs are starting to ease up some.
I'm going to bite the bullet and order a Fitbit. I have a BodyMedia Fit, but I hate that I have to pay a subscription to use it.

I hope your anniversary weekend was wonderful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
In August and September, I basically was maintaining in a 5 pound range and not being very diligent about diet and exercise. Then in October I re-focused....and the scale started moving the wrong way. Fortunately the scale seems to now be moving downward, but I'm still not even back to my challenge start weight.

I will get to goal weight. Someday. I will NOT give up.
I'm hoping my November is like your October - time to recommit 100%! Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleancowgirl View Post
I finally broke my barrier this morning and got into the next decade and hope it holds out for Saturday
I LOVE the feeling of hitting a new decade - it's been TOO LONG! Well done!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddy View Post
My original motivation was a wedding I was in. A good friend asked me to be her maid of honor. I just couldn't stand to be the morbidly obese bridesmaid in her wedding photos forever. If I had gotten my butt in gear when she asked me, I might have been further along by the wedding. Instead I waited til we went dress shopping. The shop told me they'd have to order a size 28 dress (I was in 20/22 jeans at the time), and then alter the dress to drape properly over my big upper belly. I started Medifast, and lost 50 pounds by the wedding.

Since I've been stuck on the scale, I'm working on fitness. This way I can still have some sort of victory on a regular basis. Just this vacation, I've done 4 challenging uphill hikes - I never would have considered that 2 years ago. I also took a stand up paddle lesson - it was awesome, and my months with the trainer made that experience much more doable than if I hadn't been seeing him.
Riddy - I'm curious about what you did when you went off Medifast? You can PM me if you don't want to put it out there for all to see. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to stick with MF. It definitely works, but after 4 months of sticking perfectly to plan I'm now finding it impossible to stay on track for even a week stretch. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated View Post
Superficial Motivation:
My motivation is my wedding this summer. I am paying a lot of money for a photographer so I figure I should at least like how I look in my photos. I also have to go dress shopping in December so it would be nice to be down around 30 lbs by then

I am still working on my motivation to exercise. I know I have to do it to reach my healthy goal but I just feel so tired when I get home. I would love to hear everyone else's ideas on exercise motivation.
I don't think it's superficial at all to want to look great in your wedding photos! But then maybe that makes me superficial

I too struggle with exercise. I can't even seem to find the motivation on the weekend, let alone after working all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia99 View Post
Hi everyone, sorry I missed the weigh-in. This week has been very stressful and I have gone completely off plan. My sister was rushed to the hospital and has been in there all week. We were so worried, but thankfully she seems to be doing better now, and will hopefully be released in the next day or so.
I really need to learn to control my emotions without always turning to food. I ate horribly this week and didn't exercise.
I hope your sister is doing better. I completely understand the emotions getting the better of you. My first response when I'm stressed or emotional is to turn to food. I wish I was one of those people who couldn't eat when stressed - like my friend who lost 30 pounds the month her husband left her. Why can't I be that person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightkatt View Post
Congrats losers!

Im with you Rated ... I have my wedding in just over 6 weeks and had a goal of 53 pounds in the 16 weeks to my wedding that I started this stage of my journey ... so far so good with just over 10 pounds to go ... not so much for the photos lol .. I hate them regardless lol .. but I just want to feel as good as I can

I will admit every temptation I have come across in the last 10 weeks I have a mantra "WEDDING DRESS" constantly on flow lol .. it has helped a LOT ... my dress arrived this week .. and it soooooo needs to be taken in from the measurements I sent 8 weeks ago .. the bust needs at least 4 inches taken in .. so chuffed .. really didn't notice my everyday clothes getting all that loose .. probably cos Im used to wearing baggy things anyway .. but I did go to put on my fave jeans today (which have adjustable waist - so I had to adjust them again ... ) only now the waist is so bunched and they just hang .. darn it .. so little wear and I love those jeans lol .. but still .. they will be ok for round the house

Motivation for exercise .. um .. none .. I have yet to follow through on the thought of exercise .. so the 40 pounds I have farewelled in the last 10 weeks is solely about food and attitude .. but I do know I have to start doing something exercise-wise .. if for no other reason than to tone me up a bit more. So will be thinking as much as I can about motivation .. on the plus side .. when my store finally opens I will not have that many excuses to miss going to the gym (which I DO have membership to) because there is a branch a couple of doors down from the market where my store is going to be lol ... and as we don't open til 1030 I can go there at 9 and at least get on the treadmill! At least that is what I am telling myself now

Keep up the great work everyone!
I'm beginning to think I need to plan a wedding to find some motivation - it seems to be working!!! I know you're going to look AH-MAZING on your wedding day Nightkatt!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Hooray I'm having a great week.

I went thrift store shopping on Tuesday and found some awesome stuff. One of the local stores does a half off everything sale on the last Tuesday of the month. It's total madness...like Black Friday shopping! But oh so worth it! I just love being able to shop off the "normal" racks. I've always been label conscious...not that I'd ever pay $300 for a sweater ()...but it's really helpful to know how much of a deal I'm getting when thrift shopping. I definitely scored some high end labels on Tuesday, like a Free People sweater for $2.
Wow - great deals! Good for you! I wish I could thrift store shop. I have some friends who find great deals. I just don't have the patience to sift through the junk to find that diamond in the rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixmom View Post
Superhero - thanks for all the time you have taken to keep us going and lead us into healthier ways!
Thanks Nixmom! I wish I could be here more regularly to lend support, but inevitably the work week always catches up with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofAZ View Post
What a great thread this week. I was feeling bad that I didn't have time ti check in earlier but actually think reading all the great posts at the end of the week is so up lifting that it has really kick started my weekend.
I agree! I'm so glad everyone took the time to post their motivation. It's really helping me to get motivated to exercise this week. I think I'm going to start the Plank Challenge tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth779 View Post
Motivation-- I lost some weight from January to end of May and felt so much better, healthier, less stressed, etc......so want to lose more...

Second motivation is that at 298 and current weight of 250-260-250 over and over and over again.....sigh....I just don't like the way I dress....and don't like how I look in pictures....and just want to change more.....

#1 reason though is I feel more calm, relaxed, happy, content on low carb....just have to find my way back to my low carb zone and stay there....

hope you all have a good weekend, and don't forget to weigh in....i'm weighing in now because Sundays are so busy I forgot to weigh in last week....
Ditto,
Ditto, and
Ditto - but darnit - I love my carbs event though they make me feel like crap. It's official, I'm in an abusive relationship with carbohydrates.

Have a wonderful week #5 everyone! I'm off to plank!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Nice job, cleancowgirl, Evangeline, Nightkatt, and Rated!

Darcey, I don't mind at all telling you all about life after Medifast.

I tried a LOT of tweaking when my stall started last summer. I gave each of them a good month or two before I tried something else.

It was right about the time I started running, so at first I started adding a little protein before I ran - a cheese stick or a hard boiled egg.

Then on the advice of the trainers on the Medifast board, I went to a 4 & 2 plan. I stuck with that for several months, thinking it was really going to be the answer.

I took a diet break (in Ireland)! That was also an exercise break. I gained 4 pounds.

I tried green coffee bean extract for 2 months. Nothing.

In January my doctor increased my Synthroid dose. I was POSITIVE that would get me losing again. Dream on, Kris.

I did Dr Oz's 3 day smoothie detox. Nada. Although I got the basis for a great smoothie that I drink a few times a week now.

I started working with the trainer. He thinks I've gained about 10 pounds of muscle - I sure hope he's right! I know I've built some muscle, because I can see it.

I tried Bulletproof coffee for breakfast for over a month - lost a couple pounds at first, then put 1 back on. I still drink it sometimes, because it's an easy satisfying breakfast.

Finally in the spring I just went off Medifast altogether. I still occasionally have a bar for a snack because I still have some food left.

So now I'm still tracking my calories on myfitnesspal, and staying away from starch. (I literally haven't bought bread in 2 1/2 years). I eat fruit and some starchy veggies. I don't go crazy with the fruit - maybe 2 servings a day, and try to keep the legumes/sweet potatoes/corn/carrots to a few servings a week. Sometimes I get on an Indian food kick and will eat chickpeas or lentils for 3 or 4 days in a row, but I try to only do that once a month or so.

My latest purchase is a concentrated green tea drink that I found in Hawaii. Even if it doesn't help, it's yummy and is loaded with antioxidants.

I took a diet break in Hawaii, but I kept up on exercise. I think the break got me a little more excited to work at losing again.

So I think now is where the weight loss has gotten HARD for me. I'm sick and tired of dieting. I'm working at it, but obviously not hard enough, because every fraction of a pound lost is a struggle, and I can gain 2 pounds overnight and not always know why.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I have tried a lot to get the scale moving again.

Last edited by Riddy; 11-03-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/180/145

Height: 5'6"

Gratz cleancowgirl, Evangeline, Nightkat, and Rated! Awesome job!

Well, my cat is very sick and she put a damper on what would have been a really good weekend. We still went out and had a good time, but I'm heart sick over the thought of losing her which at this point is inevitable.

Amusingly enough, I did well over the weekend considering the crap I ate and was already down a lb this morning.

I've tried pretty much every diet plan out there aside from the ones like Nutri sytem and MF and those only because of money. I had the most success with WW's and Atkins in the past. I'm doing calorie counting now because it fits in well with my lifestyle at the moment, and it's free! I'm keeping my sugar low and trying not to go overboard on bread and starches.

This doesn't work for everyone, but the thing that really shakes things up for me is going off plan for a day or two, or in the case of the weekend, three LOL. You just have to get right back on the wagon. I can do that because I take it one day at a time. No, I can't have that doughnut today, but on Saturday, oh boy.... I like giving myself something good to look forward too. Until this past weekend, it was one meal off plan.

However...... Right now I am an emotional train wreck over my cat. I'm bouncing from not wanting to even look at food due to nerves and thinking an entire cake would be awesome. This week is going to be really rough for me. I also have a very important test tomorrow that I can not fail. I haven't even studied because my stomach is constantly in knots. That's only adding to my stress
Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

FickleHearts - I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Pets are part of the family, it isn't easy to let go.

This week is my birthday so both my mom and my boyfriend's parents sent me care packages since I live in a remote area. I have been avoiding junk food and keeping it out of the house, but they sent me all my favourites. We now have my favourite kinds of chips, toblerone, quality street chocolates and other goodies. I ate some (too much) tonight but I am hoping I will be able to resist tomorrow and eat my favs in moderation. I also plan on inviting people over and putting the treats out then.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #6  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Well, last week was a lot of fun and happiness. This week? Not so much.

I cut my finger while doing dishes Sunday morning. At first I thought it wasn't too bad - it wasn't bleeding much and didn't really hurt. But then my body did this total freakout "This is really bad!" thing - heart racing, ears ringing, shaking everywhere, feeling cold and flushed. When I looked at my finger again I realized that I couldn't bend it, at all.

I went to the ER and got 4 stitches and a referral to an orthopedist for a possibly severed tendon (which is like a rubberband that runs the length of your finger and controls movement). I saw the orthopedist yesterday and he did a couple things to my finger and said, "Well, that's not good" and referred me to orthopedic surgeon who I am seeing today.

I'm not in too much pain (but I have a high pain tolerance, so maybe I really am and just don't know it). I am so ridiculously tired though. I didn't know it was possible to sleep so much or to get tired so easily. A nurse friend reminded me that this is major bodily trauma, not just a "stick a bandaid on it booboo" so I guess the fatigue is pretty normal.

I don't have insurance which is totally stressing me out. I'm hoping the surgeon will be willing to do surgery without requiring full payment up front because that's completely impossible.

So obviously at the moment I'm not focusing much on weight loss and exercise. Happy thoughts and prayers appreciated!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #7  
Shrinking Chick

Oh, Novus, that sucks.

I hope the surgeon is willing to work with you and you heal quickly and completely!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #8  

Hope you have a good birthday Rated!

And so sorry to hear that Novus. I hope your finger gets better and I'll keep mine crossed on the surgeon.

Well, my cat had passed when I got home from work yesterday. I'm tempted to email my teacher to get a few days pass on my test since studying while crying wasn't exactly helpful..... but she's not exactly the most endearing woman nor do I think she'd understand. So.....here's hoping I at least pass.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #9  
Shrinking Chick

Oh, Fickle, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I hope you can get through your exam.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/270/160

Height: 5'5

Novus so sorry about your finger. Hope it all goes well for you.

fickle- so sorry about your cat. Hugs to you. Good luck on your test!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #11  

FickleHearts, how sad that your kitty passed. They are so dear to us and it just seems like the time we have them passes by way too quickly.

Novus, my gosh, I certainly hope things work out for you with your finger. You must have really cut it bad.

I'm constantly trying to shake things up. Most recently I joined Weight Watchers to help hold me accountable by having to weigh-in each week. I really love the group but struggle with the program so this time I am doing my own “thing” but just using the group as a place to hold my weigh-ins accountable and fellowship with. I am also hoping that will help me once I reach maintenance to keep me on my toes.

I also like to use intermittent fasting every once and a while to shake things up. I typically will do an 8/16 cycle. Eat my daily calories in an 8 hour window and then not eat anything after that. My schedule usually starts with Breakfast at 7am, morning snack around 10am, lunch around noon, afternoon snack between 3-4 (this snack usually looks like a light dinner). After 4pm I don’t eat again until 7am. I usually target around 1500 calories but just by not eating them too late in the day really helps me feel like I am in control and boosts my focus on what I am trying to achieve. Usually doing this for a couple of weeks will reinforce my “dieting” state of mind. Then I can lighten-up and just follow my usual low-carb, journaling, calorie counting method but when I start getting sloppy about journaling then I shake things back up by IF for a couple of weeks again.

I find that constantly changing things around really helps keep me from getting bored so I may be following South Beach for a few weeks, then calorie counting, then counting points, then some IF and back to South Beach. I may only stick with one plan for a few weeks or a couple of months but I always have another plan that I am ready to move into. The one constant is that I always low carb, I’m diabetic and that is just something I must do to control my glucose levels.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #12  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Update on my hand wound. Surgeon confirmed severed tendons. I have a cast (from the tips of my fingers to my elbow!) that I'll wear for 7-10 days and then have surgery. I'm already very weary of being one-handed. *le sigh*
Old 11-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #13  

So sorry to hear that Novus! I hope it wasn't your main hand.... HUGS and hope you feel better soon and hope the surgery goes well.

Thank you all for you condolences. She is a very much missed kitty. As long as I don't focus on her, I"m not a crying mess.

EofAZ - I'm not a fan of WW's new points plus plan. I could not get it to work for me at all. But I am a fan of WW's in general and have had great success with it in the past. I like to use it for structure occasionally as well, but no one does meetings in my hicksville town no more LOL. I too am doing IF, although I'm more a 16:8 person which sometimes turns to 14:10 or 15:9...... If it's helping, I can't really tell, but honestly it's a normal eating schedule for me anyways as I've never been a breakfast fan.

I did well enough on my exam that if I do the extra credit, which I will, I should pass the class. Crossing fingers.....

I'm having a whooosh so far this week, but who knows what Saturday will bring. I started adding bouts of running to my walking and my muscles are letting me know they are displeased LOL. I have a feeling they'll be holding on to some water. Bah.

Hope you all have a great week.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #14  
The Sky is the Limit!

S/C/G: 227/ticker/145

Evening ladies.

Great job on the weight loss this week girls! Clean, Evangeline, Nightkatt, and Rated, keep it up!

It seems this has been a week of trial for many of us. I just nursed my son (Friday through Monday), and them my hubby (Wednesday), through the stomach bug. I would have helped him today too, but found myself taking the day off work to hang my own head in the toilet. It has been awful. This is the first time in 22 hours I've been out of bed. My back is killing me.

Feeling like I'm on the mend, but taking it slow. Hope to get back here before the thread ends to catch up.

Fickle - pets are my joy many days. I spend unnecessary time at the shelter looking at dogs and forcing them to take them out into the play yard for meet and greets. to you and your kitty.

Heading back to bed. Belly is sputtering. Have a great long weekend if I don't get back here ladies.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #15  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

Well done everyone last week ... that is some great work going on

FICKLEHEART - Sorry about your cat hun .. Im the same about my dogs .. they are family ... don't know what I would do without them

This week is a hard week for me .. my first maintenance one where I have actually left my plan behind and eaten a few "bad" foods. Not looking forward to my weigh in .. just happy I haven't really binged .. and have avoided chocolate just in case lol .. I have tried so many plans .. and never have I achieved a goal .. so I had to stop and think about what is was for all of them that put me off .. or made it just too hard to stick to. Then I took the things that I felt worked for me and have stuck to that .. so I fast (12-16 hours) and only eat in an 8 hour window. I have one main meal which is mainly vegetables .. with about 200-250g chicken usually (occasionally steak to keep my hunny happy lol) ... other than that .. I have a nut bar for lunch and a couple of pieces of fruit.... 3 litres of water .. a cup or two on green tea .. humm .. okee .. it doesn't look like much lol .. but really its filling
I have cut out carbs ... well ... cut them down a lot anyway lol .. this week I have definitely gone off plan .. fortunately I time it well as I seem to have a lot of socialising this week .. had lunch out with my mum .. and she took me to McDonalds! ICK! .. So I had a wrap .. prob the best I could do lol ... and then today we have our first shop owners meeting in the new market .. and I had a small piece of pie ... tomorrow its out for lunch at my friends new cafe ... Sunday I better not have to socialise lol ..
Soooo ... the chance I took on doing my own thing .. has actually worked lol .. this week was the first week I went to the gym and exercised ... not a great success .. but something to build on lol ..