Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #16  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

Happy Tuesday all!

It's mardi gras, and I will probably gorge myself on meat all day (giving it up for lent). Not the best day for plan for me, but I have "cheat" days so seldom that I am going to go for it.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #17  
wen

S/C/G: SW 215 CW 205 GW 160

Height: 5'5"

My thoughts:

1. Only eat when you're hungry. I believe that this can make you overeat - however, if your body is hungry when you eat you will burn more of the calories that you take in during that time - as long as you don't eat too much!
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation. I believe you can have anything in moderation as long as you can control your cravings.
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body. Not sure about flushing out calories - but I do know that carbs are not good for me and have caused most of my weight problems. I have lost quite a bit when kicking sugar out entirely, it is just not a diet plan I could do for a lifetime.
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food. I do think better foods are more expensive and it doesn't really make sense why as there is less in them and done to them. Is this an excuse not to eat healthy, NO.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite. I gave up on banishing cellulite years ago (LOL).
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet. I believe this to be true if you are working out to gain muscle.
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied. I believe a little fat in the diet is good for you, but i think you just have to burn what you take in to stay thin (my grandparents used pure lard back in the day when cooking, they were slim and lived until their 90's... but they were farmers and burned all that fat).
Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

I am so proud of myself! I actually went upstairs to the office gym on my lunch break today and hit the treadmill! I did a combination of walking and jogging. NO EXCUSES! I will lose this weight!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #19  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyDaisey View Post
I am so proud of myself! I actually went upstairs to the office gym on my lunch break today and hit the treadmill! I did a combination of walking and jogging. NO EXCUSES! I will lose this weight!
soooooooooo PROUD OF YOU COURTNEY!!! WAY TO GO GF!!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #20  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Morning ladies, (OK it's really afternoon)

I have been thinking about these things and here is my take on it . . .

1. Only eat when you're hungry. - I agree with this, that you should only eat if you are "actually" hungry, but that does not mean waiting until you are "famished" or "starving" because I feel the latter two "WILL" lead to binging/overeating . . .
2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation.I actually agree with this, e.g. Cheesecake . . . fine to have a piece or 1/2 a piece on a rare occasion, just not every day . . . I think you have to evaluate the actual "content" of the food and see where it fits into the "pyramid" of foods (you know that chart from way back when) and eat a proportional amount of that food (according to the chart) (
3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body. I still don't know about this, I actually think H2O flushes carbs/fats/sodium and other things from the body. I've always felt that carbs are fuel and you should only put in the amount of carb you are going to burn at that time (I feel the excess carbs then convert themselves to fat, although I'm not sure about this but it makes sense) keep the gas tank just above "Empty" so you have something to get started but other than that be a miser and only eat what you are actually going to use
4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food. This is a yes and no, I know a lot of fast food, ready to eat meals that are cheap and others are expensive, If you are eating healthy and NOT overeating I think it just about equals out, unless ALL you eat is ramen . . . but if you look at the long run and add the health issues and costs associated to eating unhealthy, then it's definitely less expensive to eat healthy.
5. Certain diets can banish cellulite. I don't know enough about cellulite except that it's fat and if you can deplete these fat cells enough then the cellulite "should" go away with the fat loss, I also think you need to build some muscle while doing this to make for a stronger base underneath the fat layer.
6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet. I do think that if you are doing excessive workouts or trying to build muscle then an increase in protein is a must
7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied. Fat definitely keeps you full and satisfied and it tastes REALLY good (OK, maybe not on it's own, but you know what I mean) I have to go back to the food pyramid chart, we definitely need some fats, just not excessive amounts

OK, so that's my take on things, hope everyone is having a GREAT DAY

OK, I found a pic of the old pyramid, the only thing it doesn't clarify is the grains, I feel that these should be whole grain breads, brown or wild rice, etc. I couldn't copy the "new pyramid, but I think it's basically the same but tells you how much is a portion, 3 cups of milk, it also states that 1/2 of your grains should be "whole grain" They seem to be putting a "daily" allowance for each group, where the old food chart gave you ideas of how much a portion is . . . either way everything in proportion . . .

here is the link if you want to check it out

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman..._pyramid.shtml
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pyramid.jpg (35.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by MadamButterfly; 03-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #21  

Double duty tonight! I hit the gym AFTER WORK too!!!! 15 more minutes on the treadmill (combination of walking and jogging) and then 35 minutes on the elliptical!

I am committing to do Commercial Crunches tonight during "The Biggest Loser" as well! Boy am I gonna hurt tomorrow!
Old 03-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 258/Ticker/199

Impressive, Courtney!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #23  

1. Only eat when you're hungry.
-This doesn't work for me. I don't like that empty feeling. I don't like my stomach to be snarling at me. It works best for me if my stomach isn't grumbling all the time.

2. There are no bad foods, everything in moderation.
-I disagree. For me, I can't have "a little bit" of something. If I give in and have even a small about of something, I will end up caving to my cravings and eating a LOT of bad stuff. So for me, that doesn't fly.

3. A low carb diet flushes calories from the body.
-I haven't ever tried a low carb diet so I don't know.

4. It's more expensive to eat healthy food.
-Not really. I bought a LOT of fresh produce and healthy foods at the store last week and only spent about $78, compared to usually spending $120 when I buy the bad stuff.

5. Certain diets can banish cellulite.
-If that's true, tell me which ones they are and I'll try them.

6. When you work out you need extra protein in your diet.
-Protein helps keeps the Hungry Monster at bay, so I eat lots of it, regardless of whether I am working out or not.

7. You need fat in your diet. Fat keeps you full and satisfied.
-Fat doesn't keep you full and satisfied. Protein does that. But yes, you do need some fats in your diet. The key is to have healthier fats, like olive oil or avocado.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #24  
MeTime

S/C/G: 421/287/220

Height: 5'10

http://www.oprah.com/health/How-to-I...omach-Bacteria

Here's another interesting article. I found this when I was searching for information about allergies and such.

I took a freebie last week because I had another small gain, but this week I have been totally on plan with food and exercise. My weight is coming off fast this week. I'm looking to make this a new trend. Like my mother always says, 21 days and it becomes a habit!

Courtney-Way to go on your workouts! WOOHOO!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #25  
SARGE

S/C/G: 224.5/ticker/165

Height: 5'11"

Bust a hump day Red Team!

Courtney---were you able to get out of bed this morning???? Excellent job on the gym time yesterday!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
Bust a hump day Red Team!

Courtney---were you able to get out of bed this morning???? Excellent job on the gym time yesterday!
Yep, I am here. Dragging my butt-er for sure but I am here!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #27  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Hi everyone -- Hope you're having a great week. I'm continuing to struggle. My eating and exercising are going well, but I'm not seeing the results on the scale. I am keeping at it though as I don't believe my body can defy the laws of physics forever...sooner or later it has to give up some of this fat, and I won't give up before it does!

Is anyone giving anything up for Lent? I don't practice religion closely, and even if I did, mine doesn't include Lent...lol...but I do like to challenge myself to give up something each year. This year I decided to limit myself to grocery shopping just once a week for Lent. Sounds easy perhaps, but in the past week I went three times, and bought tons of stuff I didn't need to get, causing me to spend about double my weekly budget on groceries...nuts, huh? I normally pick an area I can use some work in and set a goal around that...one year I gave up all fried food, and another I gave up swearing
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #28  
SARGE

S/C/G: 224.5/ticker/165

Height: 5'11"

Hey Angie, not to make light of a religion either but I'm giving up being fat for Lent! Who's with me??? Anyone? Too much?

Ok, on a more serious note, I was discussing BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) with some other peeps today and I believe the concept is something everyone trying to lose weight should be aware of. Here's a a link for those of you wanting to crunch your own numbers. Maybe it will help break thru some plateaus.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #29  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

Hey all. Happy Wednesday!!!

Angie- I oft refer to myself as a WASC and thus am a big lent practicer... more for the challenge than anything else. I usually pick unusual things and try to blog about them (last year I read an entire book everyday for 40 days). This year I am becoming a vegetarian with increasing difficulty (pescatarian -> vegan). Should be good. Shopping once a week sounds super hard!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #30  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Jaytee -- No offense taken to that, I don't do it for religious reasons at all. It's more about challenging myself to give up a luxury and to think about those who live with not even a fraction of what I'm lucky enough to have in my life...more of a karma thing I'd say.

I'm upping the ante on Lent for myself-- I felt that the shopping goal was not really giving up enough, a little too easy so I'm adding to it...*drum roll*....

No eating in restaurants or take out

THAT will be hard for me..that will make it a challenge, but on the bright side it's good for my body and my pocketbook!