Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2019 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 06-01-2019, 06:16 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - National Trails Day (The American Hiking Society)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A good day is one with a package delivery. When three separate packages arrive, it's a great day. One was a book about Big Data that I hope will bring me out of ignorance in that area. Another was four copies of the book for my reading group; for historic reasons we use my account and willingness to dig out bargains to buy the books for the folks who live near me. And the last, the most anticipated, was a cable that connects my brand new 1 TeraByte solid state hard drive (SSD) to a USB port on my laptop. I attached the cable in the obvious way and ... immediately my laptop saw the drive. Like magic. Then, I opened the software that I'd already downloaded and pressed 'Clone'. In less than one hour my TeraByte SSD was a clone of my laptop drive. Again, like magic. The last step is to open the laptop and swap in the new drive. It's not obvious how to get in there. Much to my delight, a single google search pointed to a YouTube video showing a guy opening my exact model laptop. It's a few steps more than I'd anticipated, so glad to see how it's done. That's today's job - need open time so that I can get it back together or make an emergency run to the computer store for help.

In the evening we attended a new play, We Live in Cairo about the revolution in Egypt in 2011 to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak. A bit strange to have a musical about a revolution. (OK, yes, I forgot about Les Misιrables - so maybe not so strange, LOL.) A pretty dedicated cast of young folk made a good performance. Everything I did all day was new. Oh yes, I ate food. DW finally grilled the chicken sausages that I'd bought. She grilled with it a large Vidalia onion and a green Bell Pepper on toasted baguette. Was superb! Best grilled sausage ever. We each had two; one would have been more sane but I've never seen only one served. Next time we'll try that; two brought along a bunch of baguette - the world's best tasting bread with no nutritional value.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Your sausage crumbles went one step further than mine - you were vegan not just vegetarian. Might have to try those.

maryann - Yay for your green smoothies.

Karen (karenrn) - Rocketman is on my list. Thanks for the memory of needing a Texas Instrument Calculator way back then. Feel free to ask my unbiased opinion whether Otis is spoiled, LOL.

Penny. - Good to be reminded that we have to exist in addition to our kids.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 29 Resist Food Pushers

How to Say No

Before you write down the costs to someone else, think about how you would react if people turned down food that you'd offered, particularly if you knew they were trying to lose weight. How bad would you feel? How long would that negative feeling last? I wonder if any reasonable person would have more than a temporary, mildly negative reaction.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 209.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

My hip has recovered and is back to its normal pain. Hopefully the cortisone shot will kick in soon, if its going to work at all.
My old car was hit in the back last week, and the insurance adjuster is calling it totalled. Sigh. I have a feeling i’ll get maybe 1500.00 for it,and i’m sure that is not enough to fix the bumper. It’s driveable, and I just need to get it thru the july inspection. So I will have some work to do, to figure it out. Hopefully it won’t be a crazy amount . If it had been the newer car, i’m sure they would have fixed it, but this one is 16 years old, although it only has 95,000 miles and runs great. I just wanted it to run for another year or two. Ah well, at least no one was hurt.
I’ve continued to avoid sweets for 4 days. I have trouble eating exactly what is on this diet, but i am sticking to the gist of it.
Bill-Those sausages sound fabulous! Your DW is lucky to have you as a resident computer whiz.
Karen- hope the Indian food was good! I’m looking forward to seeing Rocketman too.
Penny- interesting about the divorces statistics. Midlife seems to be a time for divorce for many folks, staying together for the sake of the kids up to a point.
Maryann- good luck with end of the year stuff! I have been getting near the 180 mark so i totally get it!
Joy- have fun with your research! Never been a fan of tempeh sadly.
Beth- wow, that is awful about the tornado devastation. Glad you guys aren’t there anymore.

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-01-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: +71/+30/0

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget with chips and beans instead of the alcohol and candy of the previous night. Our packed food is running out, so will need to pick a few more groceries.

I attended some great talks and then there was a three hour talent show. My body really can't take all the sitting in uncomfortable chairs, so I'm going to have to get up and stand more today.

Bill, a three package day is fun. I guess you did not end up buying that top of the line tablet like I thought, then?

Curly, that's unfortunate about the car. How long is it supposed to take for the cortisone shot to start working?

Karen, I want to see the Elton John movie too! I'm glad you liked it.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

i had a delightful hike up Bell Pass and then came home and took Otis for a walk. He was eager to go since there are no bins on the street today. I'm going to continue doing some housework and then go see the movie, The Biggest Little Farm this afternoon. My fridge is so empty and I did throw a few things out that it will be very easy to wipe down the interior before I purchase more groceries. I'm going to stop and get myself some scallops for dinner and probably save the main shopping until tomorrow. I'll get to personals tomorrow. If I sit here too long I won't want to do the housework.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

I am very glad it is Saturday.

I was able to eat sanely on Friday so the scale tip backward to three pounds above ticker. I looked up my weight from medical records 15 years ago. I was ten pounds lighter. I have been basically fighting the same ten pounds for thirty years. I don't think that is bad, really, given that I was over two hundred pounds at 18. I am grateful I haven't had the extreme yo-yoing that is such a struggle but I still have the obsession of the mind if not the physical evidence. I wonder if I will ever have peace with it. I wonder if I should go back to Overeaters Anonymous. There just did not seem to be too much recovery around my area meetings and I really can't face traveling an hour each way at this time in my life. Who knows? Maybe this summer I will hit up some meetings.

In any case. First things first means I had a great yoga class and have eaten healthy although I have finished my calories at 3:00. I have a retirement party and my plan was to eat before I leave. I am finishing my last mandatory water and taking a hot bath.

Penny: I think about empty nesting in the next 15 months. I completely agree marriage needs tending everyday. It is too easy to tack each other for granted.
BBE: Geek on with yr computer. I love my 2013 probook and never want it to go to computer heaven.
Curleyjax: Car trouble is an easy one to feel powerless over. In those cases I just ask experts and let it go.
Karen: I wrote down some of the movies you mentioned. I also put dow the book about rain. I am compiling a list of summer reading. DS recommended Song of Achilles and my friend said Sea to Sal is good although I don't know if I want to go back to WWII. Also, Pachinko was touted by two others.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #7  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

I missed posting yesterday because I was so tired when the day ended--but had a good day--and another good one today. The weather is great and that means all of my exercise was yard work--mulching trees and digging a trench to fix the drainage problems on the side of the house. We met two of our neighbors we hadn't met before and had a nice visit with one we had.

Food was as planned, although I'm hungry at bedtime (again). I'm not planning on eating anything else, but given that I did more than 8 hours of hard labor today, an extra product wouldn't have been out of line. Tomorrow has plenty of exercise planned--a suburban Pride parade in the morning with a bunch of Mensa friends and then more yard work in the afternoon. The previous owners really let the yard go--they just didn't do much of anything. If it wasn't visible from the street they totally ignored it. Anything visible from the street they stopped taking care as soon as we signed a contract--so none of the late summer/fall stuff got done. There were thistles everywhere, nothing had been pruned. DH did a bunch of it in the fall, but we didn't have time to do as much as it needed.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II (1953, Westminster Abbey, London, England)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - It worked. I opened my laptop, removed the old-fashioned spinning platter hard drive and installed my new 1 TeraByte solid-state hard drive. Only had to undo the assembly once - to reseat a ribbon cable that, apparently, wasn't right. It's so much faster and I don't get a continuous stream of 'Disk Error" messages in the system log. Those messages were the early warning sign of death. Replacing a hard drive before it's dead is a zillion times easier. CREDIT moi for doing what had to be done.

Watched the movie Tea with the Dames. Nearly died laughing. Maggie Smith is just as funny with her spontaneous dialog as she is with scripted lines. I've seen Maggie Smith in so many films and love them all, but Downton Abbey has most seared my memory - even more than her role as Minerva McGonagall in the seven Harry Potter films. Dinner was potluck with friends. I did well with only one plate, modestly filled. I did have a carrot cake dessert being drawn to the discussion of why the icing could taste just like cream cheese if the cake was vegan. Well, turns out to be 'fake cream cheese'. I couldn't tell the difference. Don't know how I'd know that it wasn't 'fake vegan cream cheese,' LOL.

maryann - Eating before a retirement party is so smart. I hate all the mediocre flat cakes I've eaten in my life.

Karen (karenrn) - An empty fridge is just the best. It's the only way I'm able to get rid of ancient stuff in the back.

curlyjax - Ouch for the hip and Ouch for the 'totaled' car. That's a pain to find a replacement for an old car that was serving your needs. Would be great if you could keep it going until it was obvious what sort of electric car you wanted.

Beth (bethturnaround) - Moving dirt to make water avoid my basement was the most satisfying yard work that I ever did. We bought this house from someone who had graded three sides of the yards sloping toward the basement. Eight hours of hard labor is a long day.

Penny. - Congrats for sitting through three hours of talent show - dedicated parent you are. Yep, I got to delay buying the new computer tablet because of this upgrade. Now I'll probably go for a more modest tablet to supplement this. All the computers are being sold as great for watching movies on the go. I've never had a desire to carry around a computer so that I could watch a movie instead of enjoying where I am.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Say No

Prepare your initial response. What will you say the next time someone offers you food? Write what you plan to say in your notebook or on a Response card. For many people, "No, thanks," or "No, thank you, it looks delicious, but I'm fine," will probably suffice. You don't have to explain that you're on a diet or watching what you're eating if you don't want to. If it's appropriate and if you want, you can always say, "Thank you, it looks really good. Could I take a little piece home for later?"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 210.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #9  

My hip is worse. I feel like I an feel the bones scraping on each other. I wish I had never done this cortisone shot, I can't imagine what else is causing it. I'm having trouble standing up straight and walking. I sure hope this goes away soon, I can't function like this.
The good news is i'm not eating over it. I went to someones house for dinner and brought fruit salad instead of dessert. Then we went to an acapello concert so at least i got my mind off the pain a little. Its frightening to be this "disabled'.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #10  

Good morning!

Yesterday I lost control of my food. We had to go to the store and replenish our hotel room supplies, so I got vegan cold salads, a slaw, and some Korean tofu. All good stuff, but then I also got loaves of sourdough french bread and hummus: my achilles heel. Calories ended up over 2000.

I'm definitely getting peopled out and was looking for self soothing. Last night here.

Karen, credit for the hike and dog walk. Hopefully your housecleaning went as planned.

Beth, credit for doing the hard work to get the french drains put in. We need to do that but haven't.

Bill, kudos for getting your computer repaired before all was lost. A victory indeed.

Curly, that feels like a major defeat that your hip is hurting so bad. Maybe a call to the MD office that did the injection is in order.

Maryann, OA had some phone meetings when I last checked a few years ago. Not doing the major yo-yo'ing is awesome, and supposed to be much healthier.

Last edited by Penny.; 06-02-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #11  

Good morning coaches,

I just got finished with my Bell Pass hike and then walking Otis. Next is clean up and some grocery shopping at Costco and the regular grocery store. Food was totally on plan yesterday and I listened to my Phit n Phat podcast and backpacking podcast on my hike this morning. They are both very inspiring to me. I guess one of the biggest things with Phit n Phat is that our thoughts control our feelings which in turn control our actions. I'm working on my thoughts as we all are. I guess one of my problems at times is I act without thinking. Yesterday I was visiting on the phone with a friend who was telling me about watching videos on "The Real Skinny on Fat". I think my friend is kind of into keto . . . but the kind of keto that includes potato chips. Anyway, I guess I am just over following plans that I don't think want to do for the rest of my life, even if it is supposedly healthier. I really try to keep the sugar down and I think that is about as good as I'm going to do. I think she is coming up for a few days next weekend and probably will once in a while. I think we'll have to make a deal where she knows what we eat at our house and she is free to bring whatever she would like. I don't want to change how we eat or feel like I have to keep it available for her.

I saw the movie The Biggest Little Farm yesterday. I enjoyed it and the cinematography was excellent.

Penny I bet you're ready to be home. I hear you. I love seeing people and being social, but only for so long. I have so much alone time that I've really gotten used to it.
Curlyjax That does not sound right that you are having so much pain. I am so sorry.
Bill That is very cool that you were able to do the work to get your computer upgraded.
Beth Glad to hear you're having some good days and I've got to say you are a hard worker.
Maryann I think it's admirable that you have only yoyo'd with ten pounds. I know I probably weighed 35 pounds more many years ago and have also yoyo'd within a fairly narrow range, but it's easier as I've gotten older. Most of it is probably just habits and discipline. I have days when I am thinking about food all the time too. There is nothing wrong with you. Many people feel the same way. The cookies call to me from the local store that sells things individually. I don't think in my case that it will ever go away, what does go away is my willingness to go get them. I think it's just that Beck principle of strengthening the resistance muscle.

Well, time to jump in the shower and get on with the day. I will say I will be glad dh is returning this evening. We miss him and I'm not very good with playing with Otis like he is. I've thrown his toy more times that I care to count though. You all have a great Sunday.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Dutch West India Company receives charter for New Netherlands (1621, NYC)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Early morning bird walk, CREDIT moi, saw the usual suspects for this time of year. Yellow Warblers never cease to look amazing as they look about for nesting material. They need to get moving; chicks have to fledge so they can leave and the cycle return. The Red-wing blackbirds were likely there in abundance, but stayed hidden in the reeds of a small wetland. I know what they were doing: Keeping the cycle going.

Too many food occasions for the day. In addition to my three meals, three events served finger foods. The best I can do for a credit is to observe that I didn't stuff myself. For reasons that can't be justified, I had a double-stuffed Oreo cookie in the evening - just because I'd not had one in years and years. I did remember that I think single-stuffed is quite enough white filling. Oh, Well.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for "our thoughts control our feelings which in turn control our actions" - I can use that.

curlyjax - Kudos for bringing fruit salad instead of dessert. Hoping that this 'disabled' is transient.

Penny. - Sourdough French bread sounds dangerous; good luck with that stuff.

Readers -
Quote:

How to Say No

Visualize your plan in action. Who will most likely push food on you in the near future? Where will you be? Who else will be around? What foods will be involved? Try to imagine the scene. See him or her offering you the food. Hear yourself saying, "No, thank you." Think about what this person might say next and how you might respond. See the person turn away and offer the food to someone else. Visualize giving yourself lots of credit and feeling proud of yourself for being politely assertive about your needs.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 210.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #13  

Thanks for the sympathy folks. I think its the teeniest bit better today, after another day of limping around half bent over Yesterday was a quiet day including watching a little tv with DS in the middle of the day. I never do that so it felt quite decadent, but the weekend is for relaxing after all, and my hip hurt so much i didn't feel like doing anything. I have continued to stay OP with my food, but today will be a challenge, as I promised DS to make cookies for a bake sale at school. Most will go with him tomorrow but a few will hang around for the kids, so it is going to be a big challenge. I will do it after dinner when i'm not hungry.
I watched the documentary "Ask Dr. Ruth" and was impressed what a bundle of energy she is, and how many hardships she endured. Very inspiring.

Bill- that is a lot of events with food to deal with, credit for not stuffing indeed!
Penny- glad you're going home, I can see where that would get overwhelming for sure.
Karen-"keto that involves potato chips"- too funny! Sounds like you have a good plan for your friend's visit.

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-03-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #14  

Good morning!

I am home now and weight is up five pounds from my low.

Food continued to be out of control yesterday so I'm reading through the "cards" of Rational Recovery (starts at the blue button if you want to check it out). I just change the words alcohol and drugs to overeating, and it seems to give me the kick to the pants I need.

Bill, credit for the early morning walk.

Curly, down time does seem like exactly what your hip needs.

Karen, another hike, another movie: life is good! Is it starting to get too hot for hikes yet?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #15  

Good morning coaches,

I decided not to hike this morning, but I did get out for a walk with Otis. I just feel like taking it slow and hanging out this morning. I have a class at 1, so I'll eat an early lunch and head to that by 12:15 or so. I do have my squats, arms and plank challenges to do also. I've had two days of staying on plan perfectly. I thought about having a drink when dh got home last night, but decided I really didn't need to do that and I'm glad. I've set up an urge jar this morning which is an assignment from my PNP PhD program. It's something Brooke Castillo has come up with . . we'll see how it goes. I'm also wasting some time watching You Tube videos from the Restless Kiwi who is hiking the PCT. It's incredible what these folks are hiking through in the Sierra. My food plan is in my head and I'll put it on paper when I finish this post. I have to have my food plan written down to know if I've gone off plan.

Penny When I have a quick weight gain it seems to come off quickly if I get right to it. I hope it is the same for you.
Curlyjax I'm glad the hip is at least a little tiny bit better. Take it easy. I really like the Dr. Ruth movie and was also impressed with the energy she has at her age.
Bill A lot of hikers talk about Oreos as being one of the things they love to eat on the trail. I think I'll get some for my hiking later this summer. They are probably like Twinkies and will last forever.

Have a great start to the week all of you!

Closed Thread