Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #106  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

Blood sugar still doing well, weight down 0.2 (scale is more precise than accurate, I suspect). My official weight was down 2.4 lbs this week--not quite sure how that works, but one way or another, I'm going in the right direction!

It was good to meet with the behavioral therapist. We agreed that this was a good 'get to know where I am' meeting and that we'd start meeting more regularly once I transition to regular food. That made sense to me--I'm doing well on this (simple, no decisions) plan--it's not a struggle for me, but once I start transitioning to 'real' food, then I'll likely need more support.

One interesting thing she gave me was a grid to complete to identify what 'health' means to me Physically, Emotionally & Mentally, Socially & Relationally, and Spiritually & Culturally. The idea is to define what I consider to be healthy--where I want to be--and then talk about how my behaviors and choices and feelings for each area. It's something to think about.

We're leaving town tomorrow morning--so I have to go pack (and yeah, I unpack as soon as I get home. I've been known to wait until the next day but that's rare and usually means we got in really late)

nationalparker: You sound much more upbeat and in control on this plan!

joy: Leftovers make hectic nights less hectic! (Let's hear it for the unpackers of the world)

silverbirch: Your gardening blog sounds like it was wonderful.

maryann: Big credit for eating near See's--your strength and choices are what got you to the point of that not being a struggle! You are awesome!

BillBlueEyes: I didn't know I needed to know about squid but now I know it's a lack in my life. Credit for walking in the can't decide to be spring!

--Beth
Old 04-19-2018, 05:22 AM   #107  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Just back from collecting something from the supermarket with FREE coffee. I had my bottle of water with me and I realised that the lid unscrews so I can use it as a beaker. That's so much better for me than those spout arrangements for runners and gymn-goers. So I had a good drink and went into the shop. Collected my order, bought two bags of oranges (from Spain), got back into the car and had another good drink. Was not tempted by the FREE coffee and did not buy a horrible shop pastry. Credit all round. Thanks to everyone for helping me think this through a few days ago.

Next, I will do my corrective exercises. I have already stood on one leg in a queue and thought of maryann who does this too.

beth, thank you for spelling out what's going on in your program. It's useful for me to know that you'll probably need more support when you move from the simple, no decisions plan to real food. Perhaps our friend with an eating disorder will also need more support at that point too, so it's good to be prepared.

nationalparker, good to see all the veg back in your life! Perhaps they were there before but they are bursting out more now, it seems. Hurray!

gardenerjoy, I am working on tidying things up when I've finished with them. I think that's related to the 'unpacking as soon as you're home' behaviour. Related to this, I can feel a burst of decluttering coming on. I feel I can do a bit of that now the sun has come out and I can see what I'm doing. I'll start on the garden room.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:54 AM   #108  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - NASA names Sally Ride as first woman astronaut (1982)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was watch the (2.5 yo) DGD day, CREDIT moi. She remembered that last week we'd sent her home with a book, so asked for a specific book about a dragon when we dropped her off. It's a library book, but she'll "give it back tomorrow" - where 'tomorrow' is a multi-purpose word for some time in the future. She held her own on a thirty minute play-date with the boy next door who's about a year older. They zoomed back and forth on their scooters; she trying to match the skills of a boy who was a better age match for that scooter. She persisted, getting a little better. So many skills to master. I picked up The Hurried Child: growing up too fast too soon by David Elkind to help me hold back from trying to teach her to read too early. She absorbs everything, e.g. repeated 'Daffodils' for each one on our walk home after DW told her the name. But being facile doesn't mean that I should indulge getting reading into her life when there's so much other stuff to learn.

DW and I walked to an evening event. I work a light jacket because it was spring; I was chilly walking home even as we walked by blooming tulips and whatnots in the yards that we passed. Food was on plan, CREDIT moi - with only one small snack before we went out since we didn't get home for dinner until after 8.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for unpacking immediately. You remind me: I always unpack immediately, but then leave stuff sitting around for a spell before I put it away.

silverbirch – So kind of you to take over your mom's paperwork. [Yep, be kind to the micro-organisms; we're in the minority around here.]

maryann - Neat that you've got your walk planned.

nationalparker – Kudos for taking time for meal planning even though you're busy at work covering for a coworker. [Your memory is correct - the car is five years old but I've only had it for almost two years.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats for working in advance the issue of transition from your food plan to your permanent food plan.

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Anna worked with people who frequently brought in cakes, doughnuts, cookies, and pastries to share with others in the office. She usually was able to resist eating these foods until the middle of the afternoon when she became tired and her resolve weakened. She didn't feel it was right to ask her coworkers not to bring in food, so she thought of a good solution. Anna approached one of her coworkers, explained her dilemma about the food, and offered a suggestion: Would the coworker mind if Anna moved her cupcakes from the counter to inside the cabinet? Anna offered to post a note reading "Cupcakes inside, courtesy of Shelly." Shelly immediately agreed. Anna found it much easier to resist the baked goods once they were out of sight, even thought she knew where to find them. She was pleasantly surprised when several people thanked her for moving them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 92.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:29 AM   #109  
Green Tomatoes

We're seeing Hamilton today. I've been waiting years for this, most of that time without much hope that it would happen. I've heard that every seat of every performance has been sold in St. Louis, so we'll plan to get there early.

Between returning from a trip less than 24 hours ago and the whole afternoon taken up with the show, food will be take-outs, but at least it's the normal sort of thing for me. I'm going to make an effort to make sure I eat at least one salad today.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #110  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! OP today. The funny thing to me is, I was OP throughout WW - on the ww plan, counting all points, getting in my veggies and fruits, lean proteins (it's not like I was sitting by eating bon bons and cheeseburgers)... but I think this is meshing with my system better. At least for now. Positive vibes. Now moving into phase 3, the ample healthy fat phase. Rereading the book reinforced how important that was after the second phase. I think at times I'd try to go lighter than I should have in that phase. We'll see.

One more busy workday tomorrow and then weekend work. This week has been a doozy. I am looking forward to no schedule for two days. Just dinner theatre, haircut if I commit to it (just a quick stop at a pop-in place to cut of 5-6"), hopefully plant some pansies. They always remind me of my mom and I've planted them every year I've been out on my own.

Joy - Hope Hamilton is a highlight of your spring!
Old 04-20-2018, 06:14 AM   #111  
in development

More good news. I've just had to go to the other supermarket. This is the place where I've sometimes bought coffee when I get fuel. I remember now that I've bought it in cold weather and sometimes bought chocolate. Anyway, today I went back to my old habit of paying at the pump with my credit card. Another bit of streamlining. Feeling pretty pleased with myself. Credit!

nationalparker, the pansies in garden centres are full of scent in the warm weather we're having here. Lovely to plant them and think of your mom.

gardenerjoy, I like your plan of having a salad every day. Have you been able to stick to it?

Bill, good to hear that your eating was OP, apart from that small snack. And that sounded like a good idea. Credit!

Hello to everyone else. Hope your day is going well.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Marie and Pierre Curie isolate radium (1902, Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Friends gave us tickets to a glorious performance of the Boston Symphony Orchestra last night: Britten 'Simple Symphony'; Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1; Mendelssohn Symphony No. 4. We rarely go and spent the evening kicking ourselves that we don't - there's just too many good things to do. The pianist was Jan Lisiecki who looked 18 but was 23, born in Canada (thanks guys for sending him along). Britten's work was composed when he was 20 collecting up stuff he'd accumulated from ages 9 to 13. I felt surrounded by youth. Lisiecki actually did an encore because the audience went wild, Chopin Nocturne in C minor; the audience, again, went wild.

Exercise was walking to the subway - not so much. Eating was on plan except for more snacks than I needed. The good news is that an evening event saves me from evening snacks. Walking required more outer wear than I'd like for this time of spring. And, there's frost and ice on the ground right now as I type. Weather isn't normal around here.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm so jealous that you got to see Hamilton yesterday.

silverbirch – Super Kudos for resisting that FREE coffee. Yay for using the credit card to avoid going in where the temptations are.

maryann - Waving. I thought of your DB when this 'kid' played Chopin. He looked so young, so confident, with a whole professional orchestra playing backup.

nationalparker – Great that your food plan fits. LOL at "it's not like I was sitting by eating bon bons and cheeseburgers" - I love the use of 'bon bons' because it sounds so decadent.

Readers -
Quote:

You need to be realistic; you won't be able to eliminate all environmental triggers at work. As time goes by, it'll become much easier for you to resist temptation. In the meantime, consider a compromise, such as taking a small portion of food and saving it for later, or eating a small portion at a time when you won't be tempted to eat more. The latter is a strategy that worked well for David, a deiter I counseled. He decided that he would choose one snack (whatever he wanted) from the vending machine once a week - even though it wasn't on his list of permitted foods. However, he allowed himself to buy this snack only on Fridays and just before quitting time. Although he had to pass the snack machine many times a day, he was able to resist buying treats at other times by reminding heimsel, I'll have it on Friday.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 93.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

My post was lost somewhere in the electro world yesterday. I move forward.

OP for another miraculous day. Each OP day feels like a gift because so much of my life has been off plan. Yesterday's huge credit was not having even one bite of DH bday cake. It is homemade from our manager's wife and is a chocolate nutella layered cake with filling. I had my NS pizza with a "blue" cheesecake bar. (All the food is color coded.) The bar was tasty and I did not feel deprived. It was not as tasty as the cake but Oh Well! I want other things to become more important than food so I am pleased with the plan. For instance, exercise is getting easier and I am more willing to go to the gym.

Like nationalparker, I am thrilled about Friday. I have some work to do this weekend but it is easy stuff. Seniors have major senioritis but they are still ver cute ad respectful. Finishing our unit of War movies ( film as narrative class) and then it is fun day Friday. Today they have elected Sharks and Minnows. Wonderful to see 18 yearsold running around like kindergarteners.

Great day to all.

Last edited by maryann; 04-20-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

There is something strange going on here coaches. The sun is out... and nothing is falling from the sky!! Could it really be a nice day in spring? Still, can't complain, my friend in Michigan was snowed in! Granted he lives in the woods like a hermit, but still.
Everyone sounds very productive and things going well.
I visited my folks which was a little sad- my mom looks very frail and repeated herself a lot- maybe chemo brain? I do wish i lived closer to them, but I know I am still lucky to have them.
I always do better organizing my life when i'm at my office so i'm going to spend a few minutes at lunch thinking about what i can do for fun this weekend, along with productive things.
I am going to try eating the list from the "How Not to Die" guy, vegan stuff, for a day or two this week. I am challenging myself to do it as is someone else from work so we will try to support each other. Flaxseed goes on the grocery list!

Wave to alll, personals tomorrow!

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-20-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:06 AM   #115  
Green Tomatoes

Hamilton is inspiring and sad and rousing. Lots of layers to pull apart. I'm very familiar with the cast album. It was fun to see how it all works out on stage and to hear different interpretations by different performers.

Today is a regroup and recover sort of day. Lunch is a bit up in the air, but supper is planned and healthy. At least two salads today. Maybe three.

silverbirch: Salad has definitely become routine for me. Even while traveling, I managed to get at least one salad a day.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #116  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A good day, but realized my hope for a lighter workload next week is not going to happen. It's just that time of year, when every day I could stay another 10 hours and still not get ahead.

Food-wise, on plan. Dinner was at our local Mexican restaurant and I was armed with the plan to have chicken fajitas and put the lettuce/pico/guac on them as a salad. They put sour cream on that plate, which meant I had to dish off anything that touched that to DH's plate as I despise sour cream ... so fewer fresh veg but had ample peppers and onions. Skipped the grain, no rice, no tortilla chips/no flour tortillas. Aced it. Satisfied. Scale will typically be the lowest of the week on Friday weigh ins with this plan, and it dropped from last week. Down five-plus pounds. Fingers crossed I can keep it up and can figure out a plan for while I'm out of town three days the following week, and then for when I go away for close to two weeks (business).I will put thought into it.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:28 AM   #117  
in development

A good day yesterday although I did eat a bit too much. Lots of time in the garden, lifting things about. I realised I know two people who don't eat lunch much. One says that he just has one meal a day and the other often 'forgets'. Both are thin. The one who 'forgets' does say that she often feels hungry at 4pm, eats something then and that's it for the day. I'm just not like that. Or not at present. I might have been like that in the past, thinking back, when I only had myself to think about or when food was much better planned.

nationalparker, when will your workload level off?

gardenerjoy, regroup and recover sounds very good. I think that must be what I'm doing, now the gardening blog gig has stopped/paused.

curlyjax, hope you're coping with that strange sunshine! Have just looked up 'How Not To Die' - interesting!

maryann, so good to hear that exercise is getting easier.

Bill, interesting to read that an evening event saves you from evening snacks. I find the same for the afternoon. Will think about that.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-21-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #118  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

Food OP today but after staying up until now 3:55, I’m going to bed a bit hungry. Blood sugar spiked this morning since I forgot my morning meds when we left for the airport at 05:30 Thursday. Some of the snacks looked tempting but not that much. I’m really getting out of the habit of thinking of food as something I do

—Beth
Old 04-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #119  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Romulus and his twin brother, Remus, found Rome (753 B.C.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, stopping at the library to pick up the DVD Guess Who's Coming to Dinner which we watched last night because it's required before I read James Baldwin's comments about it for my class. Good grief, I have no memory of seeing the movie back in 1967 despite absolutely knowing that I had. Sidney Poitier looks unbelievably young. Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy look alive - and striking. At fifty years it's dated, but captures the sixties.

Eating was OK. I'm still doing snacks like they were necessary. DW did scallops for dinner; I never tire of scallops - I hope the seas aren't depleted any time soon.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Three is a lot of salads in one day, LOL. Peas went in the ground - a full month late.

silverbirch – It is beyond my comprehension that someone 'forgets' to eat a meal. Maybe in my next life.

maryann - Great notion, "I want other things to become more important than food."

nationalparker – Love arriving at a Mexican restaurant "armed with the plan" like going to battle.

curlyjax - Neat to remember, "thinking about what I can do for fun this weekend."

Readers -
Quote:

Changes at Work

At the office where Donna worked, they served chocolate chip cookies every Tuesday afternoon during a meeting. She decided that she would wrap up one cookie each time, take it home, and eat it for her evening snack in place of the fruit that her eating plan recommended.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 93.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Its going to be a beautiful day here, it really lifts my spirits.
My fun today will be going out to eat with a friend- yes, centered around food, but she is focused on losing weight so it shouldn't be so challenging. Mexican food so no dessert to tempt me.
I am NOT sleeping well these days which makes me hungrier, and I have a harder time resisting hunger when I'm tired. Will focus on healthier protein and veg.

Beth I was wondering if you got hungry on your plan in general, or if the shakes etc are enough. you are doing so great with your mindset!!
Gardenerjoy- ooh so lucky to see Hamilton!! Glad you enjoyed it.

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-21-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Closed Thread