Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:18 PM   #76  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches! It seems that our schedule has been busy, but not near as filled as yours, Bill! The concert last night was good (even though interrupted by a woman I'd identified before the show when DH was getting a beer as being "strange" based on her need have all attention on her in the bar area ... she ended up getting moved from right by the stage by security at request of the Chris Isaak because she was yelling at him after every line he said when he was talking - DH was like you were spot on!). First time he's ever had to have someone moved, he said, and the first time we'd seen that. Why pay money for a performance and then just harass someone the whole time?! Oh, I guess I answered myself earlier...attention! Anyway, it was still enjoyable.

I'm maintaining still - where i don't want to be, but not cutting out the extra sugar here and there. It's not like a cupcake or candy bar a day or anything, but a couple chocolate covered almonds one day, a few spoons of ice cream another, a few chocolate covered pretzel bites, etc. Stuff that I don't need but seem to be OK with still eating until I get on the scale and see no progress. We're still following the three different phases in all meals and snacks - but then I add in a treat, which I believe gets me off track further and also affects the way I'm burning the good fuel.

Worked from home today and it's funny - the past few times I've worked from home (only about every month or so), I've either gotten another responsibility at work or had some sort of issue arise. Same thing today - asked to take the lead on something that I'm not too familiar with but can do a refresher and hopefully it'll go smoothly going forward. I have to say, I LOVE being able to work from home and wish we were able to do it weekly. I like being able to be around the pets. DH came home and AGAIN asked if I did anything. I get bent out of shape, as I feel I'm more productive at home than I am in the office and I feel like I'm NEVER non-productive, no matter the day. HA.

OneByOne - Hope you're doing well - has it started getting frigid up there yet? It's supposed to get much chillier here in a few days. Good luck with all of your creative projects! Stay with us here!
Old 10-19-2017, 04:01 AM   #77  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning. Let's see how the day works out here. I plan to do my exercises, order some curtain rails and "clean around the new window before touching up the new mortar and painting the wall and then I can build a new kindling store". If I manage one of those it will be very good. Exercise comes first.

I am also going to throw away the remaining cheese scones I made the day before yesterday as we didn't have any bread for the DB's lunch. They are now stale (obviously, as scones are only good on the day they are made) and (new finding) they don't really agree with me. I'll just go and do this now.

DONE! I've also put them on the Suspect Food (Silverbirch) list which I've got on a piece of paper on the fridge. For those interested, the magnet is a large African elephant, a present from Granny to the DB when he was little.

onebyone, echoing nationalparker, how's it going?

nationalparker, is it worth reframing 'treats' as something else and then you won't eat them? The rest of your food is good and healthy, isn't it, so why would you need treats?

gardenerjoy: "It was largely triggered by not having clean lettuce. And, not having a clean kitchen to wash the lettuce." Chaos theory. I relate to this very closely. Much sympathy. Having structure to the day makes a bit difference to me, too, and I've discovered that part of the structure includes having a clean kitchen and relatively tidy house.

Bill, interesting about the mackerel. I hear (lobster fisherman -> the DB -> me) that people aren't paying much for mackerel here at the moment. It's a good fish, when it's good, and I haven't had it for a while. This is reminding me that I must look into buying from a local fishmonger who delivers to the smart hotel along the road several times a week and who could easily drop something off here as well. Our previous three fishmongers have died, become too expensive or we don't go to that town any more. I much prefer a local fishmonger to the supermarket. (We are surrounded by the sea, more or less, here.)

maryann, good work with your students. I'm also very impressed. (I misread your '28 years in' as meaning you are just 28 years old! Lovely picture of your wise head on young shoulders.)

to all.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #78  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Diwali Day, a Festival of Lights (since ancient times in India)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Chase the DGD day, CREDIT moi, included having to carry her when she insisted that she wasn't going. That lasted a full five seconds until she became engaged in the next thing. I do love the speed of change of that mind. It was the first time reading to her that she seemed to grasp that a book has a story line. She had DW read it again. Then again. Then she read it to 'gramma.' When we took her home, she ran to her 'daddy' with the book still firmly clutched in her little hands and demanded that he sit down right there in the driveway while she read it to him. What a milestone. DW went over the books we've been reading with her to find more with good stories.

Eating was on plan with no snacks, CREDIT moi. Staying my plan is helping me work on my overwhelming to-do list. When the list gets too long, my productivity goes toward zero. Seems that I'm always able to take a break to have an unscheduled snack. DW asked me whether she should split the one pound piece of salmon for dinner making servings that were too big or whether to divide it into four and make two meals with servings too small. I chose 'too big' thinking that I'd only eat what made sense. And, much to my surprise, I ate about half leaving a nice chunk for another meal. CREDIT moi for leaving food - a tough one for me.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's so easy to get tripped by something little. Kudos for recognizing what happened and how to respond. [LOL at over-prepared peanut butter sandwich.]

silverbirch – Kudos for being able to throw away cheese scones - even if they're stale. Scones slide down so easily that I'm never aware of how many calories go down with them. Love the image of the large African elephant magnet. [Good luck finding a new fish monger. Even though Boston is on the coast, it seems that fresh fish takes a long time to reach the supermarkets. The truly fresh markets can charge astronomical prices - which DW pays every now and then to remind us how good fresh fish can be.]

nationalparker – Ouch for the attempt by a 'strange' woman to derail your pleasant evening. Glad that it was resolved. Dark chocolate covered almonds are just evil - I'm not good at stopping with just one. Or two. The most productive work that I ever did was at my kitchen table in the morning with my first cup of coffee and my dog on the floor.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 5 Week 1 - Get Ready: Lay the Groundwork

day 1 Record the Advantages of Losing Weight

Today, you'll make your first Response Card, an essential tool that will help you change your mindset and overcome the sabotaging thinking that interferes with losing weight. Response Cards are index cards (or the equivalent) that contain important written messages to help you counter your sabotaging thoughts. They also help you motivate yourself every day so that you can stick to your diet, apply good eating habits, deal with hunger and cravings, resist emotional eating, and get right back on board when you make mistakes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 54.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 AM   #79  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday went according to plan accept for supper which was one of two carry-out options that I consider on plan. Credit!

Today's challenge is many errands. I shoved them all in to today to clear out working time earlier in the week.

I have a Plan A and a Plan B for lunch, depending on whether I can slip in half an hour at home or if I end up eating at the restaurant where I have a meeting at 1:30.

I have a supper meeting at a restaurant. Checking out the menu....I'll have the Kale Caesar salad and allow myself one drink since it's a microbrewery. Oh, they have a brewed cider! That's new.

Plan complete -- credit! Day 4 of weighing and posting -- credit!

Weigh-in: NC in kg, Exercise: +35,700/1200 minutes for October

nationalparker: My brother works for a company that likes to see itself at the top of the Best Places to Work list. He works from home two days a week. More than that and they find that the workplace gets less enjoyable because it's impossible to have a meeting! He really likes those two days, though.

silverbirch: any baked good made without yeast is on my suspect food list. It might be that that baking soda and baking powder have a surprising amount of sodium or maybe there's something else about those ingredients that doesn't agree with me.

BillBlueEyes: One of my errands today is buying a 2nd birthday present for our great-nephew. I got to babysit last week so I know that he's currently into animals and superheroes. His favorite book, right now, is Bedtime for Batman, which has complicated parallel plots. There's no way that DGN understands it, but that doesn't stop him from wanting it read over and over. For his birthday, I'll aim for a story that he might understand in the next few months. As a boy, he's a bit behind your DGD in language development.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

DH is having some difficulties again- spent one night throwing up a few times, and had to had some fluids drained from his stomach again. 7 liters which is a lot! I’m wondering if he needs to change chemo regimes again. He just had a good cat scan recently but who knows. Our hope is he lives to see my son graduate high school in spring of 2020. Beyond that would be great of course. Anyhow he’s feeling better today.
I’m falling into bad habits with all the free Halloween candy around, boo! But Ii’m eating my salads and dealing with mild hunger so continue with that.
Gardenerjoy- I enjoyed that peanut butter thing too, so funny!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #81  
Enjoying la bella vita

OP for nearly all day - I was off with one small almond cookie after dinner and I'm good with that. DH got home while I was making turkey meatballs in sauce for dinner and said, "Wow, this beats the crappy dinners we usually have on Thursday!" I said WHAT?! I know what he means - it's the second day of the phase 2 with mostly protein and specific veggies ... but I was still fairly offended HA! I also roasted some broccoli with slices of garlic for him. Since he's coming home and noshing on stuff that aren't on the right phase, I didn't figure he'd mind all the roasted broccoli with the olive oil. He wiped it out.

CurlyJax - I'm sorry to hear about your DH - how hard it is to go up and down with the worries and hospital appts. Hopefully he keeps feeling better and better. That IS a lot of fluid.

Bill - I LOVE it when a child reads me a book that I just read them - or just picture walks, etc. Such a feeling when you get to "the end" and they start over right then.

Silverbirch - You're right - I need to just refer to some of the 'treats' as "JUNK" in my mind. Some are, some aren't. I'm good with the snacks that are on our plan and contrary to a lot of plans, it involves steady fuel intake (note "Fuel" not treats! ) akin to keeping a fire stoked. How quickly i start overthinking that and skipping stuff and then wonder why I'm not making progress and wanting stuff not on plan. Thanks for your nudge!

GardenerJoy - I hope your meals/meetings went well today. I used your preparation and checked the menu for our staff lunch out tomorrow at a new place for me. I lucked out and they have chicken lettuce wraps and that will work with my plan.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Sydney Opera House opens (1973, Australia)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the library to pick up a book on hold for me. This 'open hold' has a drawback. (In open hold, the books are on a set of shelves accessible to the patrons - each with their little identifier slip sticking out.) Patrons had shuffled the books so they were no longer in alphabetical order. I had to search for mine. First world problem, I know, but I'm so old that I can remember when the librarians reached behind their desk to easily grab the desired book. The evening walk was to a lecture about microorganisms - 'Animalcules' as the Dutch scientist Antonie van Leeuwenhoek called them in the 17th century when he was looking in a microscope when no one else in the world was. It's boggling to think that he was so far ahead of his time. What really blew his mind was what made up the Cliffs of Dover. He looked in his microscope and saw the shells of little beasties. Fun times back then.

Food was on plan - mostly. There was a morning snack because cookies were distributed in my class. Top shelf cookies from a bakery - not manufactured cookies. Then dinner got constructed from a cheese and fruit table after the evening lecture. The celebration was publication of a new book, Life at the Edge of Sight: A Photographic Exploration of the Microbial World. I'm torn between my next career: studying gravity waves of neutron stars vs. studying animalcules under electron microscopes. Go big or go little. What a universe.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Two meetings at restaurants in one day is certainly a challenge - hope it all went well. [Buying presents for two year olds is so much fun. Beware the kids section of bookstores; I find it easy for an hour to slip by without noticing.]

nationalparker – Yep, we males are slow to learn to think before we speak, LOL. BTDT. I'm now drooling over "roasted broccoli with the olive oil."

curlyjax - Sending supportive thoughts as your DH goes through his stuff. Yay for a good cat scan. Kudos for avoiding all that Halloween candy.

Readers -
Quote:

You'll read these cards daily as you lose weight - and periodically for the rest of your life. They are an essential part of the Beck Diet Solution program. Chances are, you've never created, much less read, cards like these. No wonder hunger and craving have gotten the better of you in the past!

Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Curleyjax: I am in awe of your courage and compassion. My son and I do the rosary every Tuesday. Your family is on our list.

I actually took the time when I seemingly had none to read posts. Guess what? it helped. Gardenerjoy is right. Beck first (for me after meditation and prayers) I haven't been following that self care regime and it shows right now. 2 pounds above ticker and it feels less and less ok.

So. . . New breakfast this morning. Gym tonite.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #84  
Green Tomatoes

I'm losing weight. I'd convinced myself, when I wasn't weighing, that my healthy eating plan wasn't low-calorie enough to lose weight -- that I'd have to sacrifice more than the occasional off-plan days. That made it hard to get back on-plan when I didn't believe it would work anyway. But it is working. It's accommodating meals out and take-out and, even, one day that didn't go all that well. That makes me motivated to keep doing it. It actually works!

Day 5 of weighing and posting -- credit! My day and food are planned -- credit!

Weigh-in: -0.1 kg, Exercise: +40, 740/1200 minutes for October

curlyjax: I'm glad the peanut butter thing was funny -- seems like you need some humor right now.

nationalparker: my DH steals roasted broccoli when I'm fixing it for other things. I should try making some just for a snack for him.

BillBlueEyes: with open hold and self-checkout, I sometimes go to the library and never speak with anyone. Some days that's a relief for an introvert, but it's also kind of sad.
I went to St. Louis's black-owned children's bookstore. It's tiny and the knowledgeable owner shoved books in my hand. I was in and out in under fifteen minutes.

My favorite is a numbers book called Counting on Community with lines like "Three urban farmers knee-deep in the mud" and "Eight picket signs showing that we care."

I predict my great-nephew's favorite will be Even Superheroes Have Bad Days. It describes in great detail and with awesome pictures how grumpy superheroes could wreak havoc on the town. Fortunately for us, superheroes know about self care, so they "burn angry steam off with speed-of-light hiking or super-Xtreme outer space mountain biking." Then, they can get back to using their super-powers to save the world. The super-heroes, of course, cover the gamut of human (and not-quite-human) shapes and colors. The message of this book is as good for my activist friends and for maryann's teenager students as it is for toddlers.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches. DH had another rough night last night although not as bad as a few days ago. It’s frustrating that we have to wait until things get really bad to warrant a change in meds, although I understand they have to do that to make sure its not just a brief thing.
At least he can still get out and do things. He needs to put on weight, I wish he could take some of mine��

Gardenerjoy- You are doing great! That Counting on Community book sounds fun.
Nationalparker- I would love the roasted broccoli and garlic recipe- is it powdered or real? My garlic tends to slide off or burn when I roast it.
Bill-I’m so old I can remember card catalogs�� I appreciate all the library technology but at times I miss the old way we used to flip thru.
Maryann- thanks for thinking of us. We can go for a few months and not have to think about it, and then reality hits again. I hear you about self care, I am slipping with that too!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #86  
Enjoying la bella vita

I have not allotted time to do that blog that I wanted to start up. I've posted a few, but not with the steady, thought-out posts that I would like to do. I will decide if I DO want to try to commit to it now, or wait until after the holidays. I would love to learn some tips to save time from someone already chugging along with one.

Lunch out with coworkers/gals went well. I didn't come back stuffed, and we walked, so I left work at 14K steps. I had planned on making homemade pizza tonight or tomorrow but DH found out that a pizza place he loved as a kid has a location near us and wanted to try it. I'm always game for pizza, so was fine with that option. It was mediocre at best, at least it was thin crust but not much flavor. At least now he knows - won't be getting it from there anytime. He chose meat toppings and I always want just cheese, so we did a half-half and there is no temptation (I say that NOW) for me to eat leftovers of that.

I thought I was coming down with a cold last night. I feel achy all over and sneezing.

Bill - My library has the open hold shelves now as well ... but I like it because I feel like I'm bothering them less. My librarians are very friendly, and often try to catch your eye to say hello, so I like that. A couple of times a year I take them a big box of our city's famous bakery donuts as an appreciation gift. I know that many people on here probably wouldn't welcome that, but they always seem to, so I stick with it. They end up babysitting for young kids who are just dropped off, helping with homework, and so much more. I love their bunny bag- a sack of kids' books that you can pick up on the run. I don't need it but I love the idea of kids in the area that's serviced being exposed to it. It's in a very high poverty area, and there's often a security guard standing at the entrance to hopefully quell the teen fights.

CurlyJax - Prayers continue for your DH for comfort and smoother days/nights. For the roasted garlic, I just chop the florets off the head in small pieces, cutting them in half if I have to, and I cut the garlic (I did about eight cloves sliced) in "slightly" thicker chunks bc the first time I did it fairly thin, and they did brown up super fast. Oven on 425 and I toss it ALL in a fragrant olive oil, not a light tasting one, and put freshly ground salt and pepper on it - those slightly bigger granules seem to add a pop. I open the oven every 4-5 minutes and move the stuff around with a spatula so it doesn't burn on one side. I DESPISE broccoli - raw, boiled, steamed, covered with cheese - whatever. But like this. Same with Brussels sprouts! As a bonus, with the olive oil, you absorb more of the nutrients of the veg - at least that's what I hear/read.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #87  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Thomas Edison demonstrates electric lamp (1879, Menlo Park, NJ)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did the supermarket run without picking up anything that could potentially become an unplanned snack, CREDIT moi. It was time to buy the dried figs that I eat with my morning cereal as substitute for peaches. DW described the last peach we had as a hybrid - a cross between a peach and a potato, LOL. It's insane to keep buying a fruit whose season has ended just because some smart guy kept some green ones in a cooler to sell late.

Evening entertainment was hearing three pieces by Mozart: Symphony No. 40; Exsultate, Jubilate; and his Requiem. Just an ear boggling evening. He wrote Exsultate, Jubilate when he was 16! He wrote it for a popular castrato of the time. One could not be found for last night's performance so a female soprano took his place. The challenge came when a reception was held for subscribers afterward. I worked to avoid the individually wrapped dark chocolates that had caught me at the similar reception a year ago. CREDIT moi for taking zero dark chocolates. I did have some guacamole and crackers to participate which I labeled evening snack as if that reduced the calories. It was a pleasant walk to the subway wearing only a wool sport coat in the brisk air.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for continuing to lose weight despite "meals out and take-out" that seem to go with your busy lifestyle. [Thanks for the tips for children's' books. Putting Even Superheroes Have Bad Days on my list.]

maryann - You sound busy - and calm about it. I just discovered that walnuts and dried sweet dark cherries are an unbelievable yummy combination. Perhaps your farm can add dried sweet dark cherry trees so you can sell them together.

nationalparker – Kudos for having lunch with friends and "didn't come back stuffed." It was a big deal for me to learn from Beck that feeling satisfied is enough for a meal. [Love the notion of the bunny bag of books for kids. Anything to get the notion the books are normal in one's life.]

curlyjax - Kudos for keeping faith in your doctors while wanting the best treatment for your DH. Waiting is so hard. [Ah, yes, Card Catalogs. Research required some skill and patience to use them.]

Readers -
Quote:

The card you create today might be the most important one of all. On it, you'll list the reasons you've decided to diet. Right now, I'd like you to think of all the advantages of losing weight and write them down while they're clear in your mind. I want you to read this Advantages Response Card (or cards, if your reasons don't all fit on one) every day.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #88  
Green Tomatoes

After bragging about losing, my weight ticked up. Heh. We had stir-fry last night, so I'm not at all worried about that uptic.

OTOH, I slept very badly and I'm blaming the soy sauce for that, too. We had a stir-fry earlier in the week and I had none of those problems. The secret: a small serving. Of course, I worry that I'll get hungry later. One of my more successful rules is "no eating after supper." Given the time of year, though, I think I can make an exception for an apple. So, new rule, "Take a very small serving of stir-fry. Eat an apple later if I get hungry."

Today's challenge is four back-to-back events. The first two, thankfully, have no food involved.

The third is a brown bag lunch, so I have complete control. Except that I didn't plan ahead well enough to have my best choice for a sandwich. Oh well. I'll use my peanut butter spread (blended with strained yogurt, cottage cheese, and a little mayo). I'll add an apple and call it good enough. This brown bag lunch is a new monthly thing that replaces an old monthly thing at a restaurant with an extremely challenging menu. In the long run, this is going to be great -- I just want to re-learn how to make good brown bag lunches. I've been eyeing those bento boxes. Now, I have an excuse to play with them.

The fourth event is the birthday party for DGN. It's at 2pm, so I'm assuming there will be snacks but not a meal. My usual afternoon snacks total about 400-500 calories. My normal consumption at a birthday party is much higher than that. I can predict that there will be birthday cake, of course. As I told silverbirch a couple of days ago, cake is one of my suspect foods. I'll take a tiny serving because I'll feel aggrieved if I don't.

I can also predict that there will be gorgeous iced sugar cookies because one of the grandmothers makes them. I can predict that there will be way too many of them and that they will be pushed. I have enough experience with them, now, to know that they're pretty but they're still iced sugar cookies which means they have no flavor but sweet. Cookies, like cake, are a suspect food. So, I just talked myself into this: I'm going to treat them like art work. Beautiful, but inedible.

I hope there's a plate of veggies. If not, I'll just eat that tiny serving of cake and make a salad when I get home.

I'll focus on people and conversation. The party brings together two families that are still only slightly acquainted. I can perform a service by chatting with whoever is alone -- the great-grandmothers, the grandfather with MS, the great-aunt who just moved back in town and knows every one even less than the rest of us.

nationalparker: my book review blog posts take two hours. They did when I started and they do now, unless I say little more than "I read this book! It was fun!" I always hoped that I'd get quicker, but I've talked to other book bloggers who also take two hours per book review. So, one trick is to have a few posts that are something else. My Readers' Workout post each week takes just a few minutes. Also, I get along with just two posts a week for months at a time. If I wanted a bigger audience, I'd need to do more than that. But, if I just want some outlet for self-expression, that space sits there for me and two posts a week, including that quick workout summary, seems to be enough to maintain it.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #89  
Enjoying la bella vita

A good day with great weather! I'm thoroughly enjoying it before the thermometer drops in a day. Got done all I needed and wanted to get done today, for the most part. Lunch was chicken salad, using up the last of the rotisserie chicken, with diced dried apricots, cranberries and a gala apple in it, along with the raw pumpkin seeds, and dinner was NOT on plan, but I made a tray of nachos with cheddar cheese (dairy is off plan, but it's the first chunk I've bought in a year), with diced onions, black beans and shredded seasoned chicken. I added homemade guac, but was able to use up a number of leftovers with them I should have done that on Sunday for NFL watching. Now the kitchen is all cleaned up and I'd like to sit back with a good book.

GardenerJoy - I hope your events went well today. A good way to spend a Saturday! I started the blog, hoping that it'd be a fun outlet for my photography, but now with shorter days and me inside Monday through Friday during the daylight, we'll see how it rolls.

Bill - LOL bigtime at your DW's hybrid peach - I got suckered into buying late ones myself and they were probably that same hybrid, haha. Perfect description. Credit to avoid the dark chocolates if you didn't want them (but I have to tell you, I probably would have wanted them if I remembered them from a year ago!) - you do so well at your events!

Last edited by nationalparker; 10-21-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Jean-Paul Sartre awarded and declined the Nobel Prize for literature (1964)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to an open house at a Masonic Temple. I've never been inside and wanted a firsthand explanation since the mysterious always absorbs whatever rumors the world makes up and passes around. It was neat. A guy in formal tuxedo showed me around this old building with to-die-for high ceilings and wooden trim. The rooms where 'lodges' meet was formal with high backed chairs for the #1, #2, and #3 guys running the meeting. The basement was a HUGE ballroom that they rent to get enough income to support the physical building. George Washington was a Mason; his painting hung on the wall. They provided me a most gracious introduction as well as a reference to a book that I've already ordered from my library. The memberships in all fraternal organizations have plummeted in recent years - Masons included.

Unfortunately, they served a HUGE breakfast. I wanted to sit and talk to the guys at this table, so I renamed it lunch and went forward. The conversation was worth it; the meal was too much even for my lunch. Food seems always to be part of camaraderie. My evening event was a potluck so I got a chance to eat closer to plan - although there was banana bread for dessert and I had some. It wasn't a great day for my food plan. I find it easier to stay my path when I live like a monk in my office all day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for the recognition, "I'll take a tiny serving because I'll feel aggrieved if I don't." Neat to plan to serve as a connection between two families still getting to know each other.

nationalparker – I'll sign up for your "homemade guac" anytime. I even know how to chant that avocados are good for me.

Readers -
Quote:

Now that you know what you're supposed to do, are you thinking Why write the reasons down? I'll always remember why I want to lose weight.

It might seem hard to believe that you could ever forget these reasons. But, believe me, it's easy to forget when there's tempting food around. There'll be plenty of times when your resolve will falter and you'll have sabotaging thoughts, such as:
  • Is dieting really worth it?
  • Resisting this food is much too hard.
  • I don't think I really want to do this.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 55.
Closed Thread