Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.

Back from Muir Woods in SF. Reviewing my weekly journal, much went right. Lots of exercise capped off with a 7 miler in perfect Sunday morning weather. DS and I were in the parking lot before 8:00 am which is a must to avoid Disneyland like lines. But my weight is super high after another weekend of anniversaries and parties. Sugar is out of control. Like many of you I think back to when I was losing.
I sit down when I eat.
I track my food.
No wheat.
No sweets at work
I can can do that for a day.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #107  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Most of my plan worked yesterday. I thought I was way off, actually, so it's good to acknowledge that. Lunch was messed up because I didn't have the food in the house that I thought I did. But everything else was as expected or better -- I took a walk instead of eating a planned snack!

Today defies planning. We have a house contractor showing up at noon and only a glimmer of an idea of what we actually want done. "Solve all the problems" is the goal, but exactly how to do that is unclear. I don't know how I'll deal with grocery shopping, much less lunch.

So, I'll play it by ear. That's always risky, but I'm also perfectly capable of eating reasonably, even on a day like today. So, I'm going to challenge myself to do just that.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #108  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

hi, quick check in.

weekend came with unexpected plans, so today will be recovering and trying to get back on track

Last edited by ennay; 08-14-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:03 PM   #109  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. I bought some fresh figs at Costco and I am enjoying a couple of those each day. They aren't available often so I see them as a real treat. I almost don't want to say it out loud, but it just kind of seems like life anymore. Once in a while I get a craving for something, but not too often and I feel better when I eat really healthy. Just got home from the gym and I am loving that too. Just slap me, I would never have thought this would be me. I am getting stronger and I really think some of the goals I have are possible. I'm meeting some really nice people at the gym too.

Today we meet with the kitchen designer to choose new material for the hearths. We have never used fireplaces in both the family room and living room that currently have a marble tile on them, but the living room hearth was damaged in demolition, so $$$$$ here we go.

I think I will forego personals today. I had some things to do when I first got home and I better get cleaned up before dh and Otis get home from the office in less than an hour.

Have a good start to the week everybody!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:22 PM   #110  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches

Today was food on plan and I walked 10000 steps. I seem to be getting busier every day. Planning is helping me. Maybe I need to say no sometimes. DGD will be coming over Wednesday and Thursday as her mom has to work. I would never say no to her coming over. We have fun together and I get a bit of unplanned exercise chasing her. Our air conditioner is now working so that is great.

Bill- that Lizano sauce does not appeal to my taste but I am going to get it for DH to try. I think he will like it. I lived in Calgary Alberta when the blackout hit the eastern US and Canad so it was not a problem for us. The news station were very focused on it.

Onebyone- nice to see you post. Sorry to hear you were mopey. I hope today is a better day.

Silverbirch- the dietician has me eating a protein, vegetable or fruit, and a starch or fibre at every meal. She wanted me back to basics and to try to focus on balanced eating. It was weird because I can decide on the spot and still make healthy choices.

Nationalparker – enjoy your time in Florida

Joy – Thinking of you and hoping your eating went well today.

Karen- good luck with meeting with the kitchen designer.

Maryann- great job avoiding Disney like line ups for your hike.

Ennay – Good luck getting back on track.

Hello to everyone and have a great night.

Take Care

Ann

Last edited by Newlifestyle; 08-14-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #111  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning. A dental appointment is on the agenda this morning. After that, I don't know. Perhaps a sleep or perhaps a bit of gardening. Salad for lunch.

Ann, that's how I eat. With moderate portions it's pretty straightforward.

karenrn, I love your enthusiasm for the gymn.

ennay, oh how those unexpected events knock me off course! Good luck with regrouping.

gardenerjoy, yes, I agree, you're 'perfectly capable of eating reasonably'. And so am I - good to remind myself.

maryann, sugar just keeps trying to creep in, doesn't it? I always like your 'just for today' statements.

Bill, I sometimes wonder whether I've only got so much capacity for rational thought and so much capacity for [something else I'm not sure what to call]. So if I'm working hard on something very logical and rational, I don't have sufficient capacity to be rational - on the spot - about food as well. That's where a plan steps into the breach, of course.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:21 AM   #112  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Woodstock festival opens (1969, Bethel, NY)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included dropping off two books in a mini-library. It felt good because one was a new book that I'd bought. I'd read it and didn't plan to ever read it again. Books that I buy new have the draw that I should keep them because I spent real money. No, it doesn't matter what I spent; if I don't plan to read it again, then it should go.

Dinner on the patio of leftover burger, beans, and rice - a favorite DW dish. It was perfect to be doused with Lizano sauce. The green salad that I made was topped with our first large tomato from our garden. They've been slow this year. We've had the cherry tomatoes for a while. In addition to a garden cuke, I had to use purchased lettuce because we burn through all our lettuce in its first month. In Costa Rica you just keep planting stuff and it just keeps growing.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "Solve all the problems" is the goal. I do recognize that desire to just make it all go away.

silverbirch – Waving back toward the dental chair - glad it isn't me. [It annoys me that I only have capacity for so much of anything. I get exactly one major thing done each day. I seem to recall getting lists of major things done in a day. Maybe that's only pretend memory.]

maryann - Congrats for getting to Muir Woods before the "Disneyland like lines." You guys keep all the huge Red Woods out there.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for the encouraging, "I am getting stronger and I really think some of the goals I have are possible."

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Thanks for the reminder "Planning is helping me." Yep, gotta take that DGD whenever the opportunity presents.

ennay - Yep, the unexpected shows up regularly.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

charactistic 1
You Confuse Hunger with the Desire to Eat

Naturally this people are more easily able to differentiate between when they're truly hungry because their stomachs are empty and when their stomachs aren't empty but they have a desire to eat.

This people say to themselves, I know I'd like to eat [that food] ... But I just ate a little while ago ... I'm not going to have it. You, on the other hand may label and desire to eat as hunger. You probably get the idea that you ought to eat whenever your stomach feels empty and you feel an urge to eat.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 34.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #113  

Phone check in.

KarenRN: you sound reallly in the zone. That is a direct result of all yr effort. Credit.

I felt better today as well. I had one full day of sitting while eating, tracking and no wheat. Yeah. I can do that again just for today. I can walk on the treadmill at a level five grade. It will be a treat because I can finish my book.

I'm so proud of everyone doing the deal!
Old 08-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #114  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Otis and I went for a nice hour long walk and then I came home and went to the gym for some elliptical and weight machines. I can't go to yoga today because a new friend I met at the other gym invited me to go to a meeting about women who go camping. She is a really nice gal who is recently widowed and it is her first time at the meeting. I'm going so I can get to know her better, be moral support and learn about the group. I'd call that a win/win/win. Otis has a grooming appointment, but it's 5 minutes from her house and dh said he'd pick him up.

Maryann Yes, I would say I am in the zone. The unfortunate thing is no matter how permanent it feels it doesn't mean I won't go off the rails when I lease expect it. I think those times are getting less frequent though. Glad you are feeling good and getting the good habits going too.

Bill It would be kind of fun to live in a climate where things just grow, grow, grow.

[Silverbirch I hope your appointment with the dentist is no big deal. I am not really afraid of the dentist, but I'm always fearing what they think I need and how much it will cost.

Ann Good job on all the steps and sounds like you will have a busy week with dgd. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Waving to everybody else. I had better get ready to get out the door.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #115  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A good day so far, despite the hours at chemo with my brother. He is holding up well ... they are surprised at how well he's hanging in there. I know it's hard. I'm prepping dinner tonight - chicken tortilla soup - and brought my own seasoning with me to make it easier. It's hard to prep meals in someone else's kitchen and not step on toes, as well. SIL is stopping at yoga tonight, so I'm glad we have a plan. I could be doing better myself, but somehow I am just not hugely concerned with nailing it 100% - I just want to spend good time with family and enjoy good conversations and not be uber focused on food as our country faces so many issues now.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #116  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Canned total of 26 jars of 3 kinds of pickles today. Would have been 27 but the bottom of one fell out in the canner. At least it was the last canner load so I can wait for it to get cold before I deal with broken glass. Bummer is I only made 4 jars of the kind I like (hamburger dill chips) and the rest are for ds (10 spicy sweet chips and 12 dill spears and one spicy pickled onion) and it was one of mine that broke.

Food and exercise has been meh lately, but getting the canning done is oddly a step in the right direction.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #117  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Queen Victoria telegraphs President Buchanan (1858, trans-Atlantic)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The tomato in last night's salad was just splendid. Celebrating that our garden produces. They're never this good from the stores and are pricey labeled 'heirloom' from the farmers' market. Food was on plan for the day, CREDIT moi. Stayed out on the patio until dark, but that was only about 8 P.M. Seems like only a few days ago it was still light at 9 P.M.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at See Eyewear where I'd purchased my eye-glasses a few years ago. I wanted to know why they seem less transparent. Turns out that the coating is wearing off. "That just happens; you need to replace the lenses or, for a better price, get a new pair." Duh! These are my first glasses ever, so I just assumed that they'd last for life. I'll make a trip to my optometrist to get a current prescription and get a new pair. Of course I'll get the identical frames; "Why change horses in the middle of the stream?"

maryann - Great plan: "I can do that again just for today."

nationalparker – Glad to hear that you can spend time with your DB even while he's doing his chemo. Yep, sometimes food isn't the only thing on our minds.

Karen (karenrn) - A whole hour sounds like a long walk for Otis. Kudos for continuing your weights.

ennay - Congrats for getting the canning done. I'm jealous of folks who actually do that. I fondly remember the jars of canned goods from childhood.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

characteristic 1
You Confuse Hunger with the Desire to Eat

The Beck Diet Solution

To think like a thin person, you must learn to tell the difference between hunger and the desire to eat so that you can make better decisions about when it's appropriate to eat and when it's not. You'll do so by paying attention to how your stomach feels before and after meals. You'll also do such experiments as purposefully making yourself hungry so that you learn to recognize what true hunger feels like.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 34.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-17-2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #118  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Yesterday I met probably the best dentist I've ever met. Or one of them. It was a root canal procedure and it all went very well indeed. I'd ask him to do another, if I ever need one. I hope I don't but my teeth don't seem to be holding up so well nowadays.

I am at my mother's and, between you and me, I am exhausted. A long journey, the dental procedure, the food to make, the shopping, the neighbours to talk to, the problems to solve. You can understand, I'm sure, that I've moved on to mainlining (for me) sugar. It's not a large dose but more than I usually eat.

I am staying two more days than planned. I want to be able to weed the front border, help an ill clematis bought by my late father, and plant a rose. I also have to make the lunch (it will be baked cod, have just walked to shops and bought the fish) and the tea (it will be ham salad). There is paperwork to complete. And Mum to chat to (she's just walked round the corner to see the nurse). At 92, this is good and we'd like to keep it like this for as long as possible.

Phew. Thanks for listening.

Bill, I am just delighted for you and your DW about the tomato and those to come. A good tomato is just lovely. Good work with the glasses - you won't regret it!

ennay, good going with the canning. [Basic question - does 'canning' also include preserving in glass jars? Thanks.] My sister is deep in this too, currently plum jam, raspberry jam and some kind of chutney. She's put out an appeal for used glass jars. We are saving them for her.

nationalparker, glad you're able to be there with your brother.

karen, win/win/win is terrific!

maryann, keep going, you're doing so well.

Must go now and see whether we've got any compost available in the garden.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #119  

Phone check in.

Yeah for keeping to OP. Tracked, sat, no wheat, no sweets at work. The day other than that was very trying. I had very bad behavior with DS and apologized profusely. Sometimes my anxiety explodes and I can't reign it in. Overeating will not fix it so today I will forgive myself and know I have built up a pretty big bank account of love and trust with the boy. We can weather this. First day back wit h the kids. The whole day is devoted to school culture with speakers and rallys. I am wearing my PRIDE shirt. The P stands for positivity. I am supposed to do a lesson that begins with the video HAPPY. I can do it. I have never been afraid to dance a little in class. Tomorrow I start the curriculum of the college classes. Students will receive college credit if they pass the National Exam. I'm grateful to have the schedule.

Last edited by maryann; 08-16-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
A fly by- very busy at work yesterday and today will be as well with an event in the evening and lengthy phone calls. It’s either nothing going on or everything at once. In the midst of this i suddenly have the possibility of taking on a new part time gig if it comes to fruition-more details to come! but its hard to focus on anything else.
Haven't figured out the laptop thing yet and i am missing it as I used to cuddle up with it in the am with my coffee. So spoiled, we've all had our own devices!
Anyhow-quick wave to all!
Closed Thread