3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #91
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - The Wizard of Oz movie premieres (1939, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Three more books arrived in the mail. Two were for DW, but one was a duplicate that I'd just bought a few days ago. Yikes! I checked the orders. Yep, I'd ordered it twice. The second time I'd noticed it and recalled that I'd always wanted to read that book. Now I'll have to read it twice to justify the money spent, LOL. I took a long walk around Home Depot studying different electric fixtures for the new outlet to charge my electric car. The success was not buying anything even though I saw dozens of things that we 'need.'

Dinner on the patio - yet again. Just neat. I spotted a White-breasted Nuthatch on the old elm tree at the end of our driveway - pleasant company as we ate white beans and kale for dinner.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for having a sane expectation for the results of your meeting.

silverbirch – Your "'just eat three reasonable meals a day' plan" sounds good.

nationalparker – Congrats on that promotion. Hope you have a safe trip.

Karen (karenrn) - That's way too hot for a gym! Yay for finding a trainer who believes that you can do a pull up.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - LOL at chasing the DGD - what fun. Kudos for a good day for exercise and eating.

curlyjax - A fox is pretty neat - despite the smell. Congrats for finding a use for the turkeys wandering about.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3 How Thin People Think

Have you ever wondered why you can't lose weight or keep off the weight you've lost? You certainly know many people who don't struggle with eating the way you do. Are you different? You probably are, but not necessarily for the reasons you think.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 33.
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 9 years
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #92

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches. Eating was eccentric yesterday as i ate various leftovers. I do think i eat less if i just pick at things when i’m busy, rather than sitting down for a full meal. I still have trouble going to bed a little hungry, it bothers me more than during the day. But then i end up over eating, so balance must be learned.

Today hopefully we are going to go look at used kitchen chairs. We have one that broke and i’m tired of sitting in the extra chair that is too short. Craigslist is a possibility but I enjoy going to used furniture stores so we’ll start with that. Plus you never know what sort of fun little extra thing you may find!

Karenrn- i had to look up javelinas- strange looking beast! We have coyotes too but rarely see them, just hear the eerie howling at night. you are getting to see some interesting movies! The menfolk here saw Dunkirk and enjoyed it.

Silverbirch- I can picture you on those trains now that i’ve been on them. I enjoyed the snack trolley that came by on some, the man was quite cheerful. Great way to travel.

Newlifestyle- I have tried acupuncture and it did nothing but PT helped a few months ago so i’ll continue stretching etc. Glad it helped you. I can see it being useful for many things.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #93
Green Tomatoes

The meeting went fine -- thanks, everyone. I didn't get the immediate result I wanted, but a clear path to it in the next year.

Today's plan: Indian buffet where I'll take tiny servings of vegetarian dishes and skip the naan (because I don't stop when I start). I've planned a slightly sweet treat for when I get home so that I don't grab one while I'm out.

My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #94

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Kind of a slower day today. I did get up and walk with Otis at 5:30. It was hot and humid so kept it at 30 minutes. I went to my WW meeting and lost 2.6 pounds, which was great but it was the amount I was up in the past couple of weeks, so just maintaining which is what I am supposed to be doing. Our meeting was about fat shaming, things people say and what we say to ourselves. I think most of us agreed that what we think and say to ourselves is worse than what anyone else had ever said. Of course the take home message is how to change how we think to change what we do.

Dh went to play golf today for the first time in several months. He has had a problem with his hand, which one doc said was arthritis, but a second opinion felt was more tendonitis. He had a steroid injection and is as good as new. Let's hope it continues; the injection was three weeks ago so I'm thinking it may. He was worried it might be the end of golf for him which would be as shattering as telling me I can never hike again.

GardenerJoy Glad the results of the meeting were pretty good. Oh man would I ever love to have some Indian food. I just need to find someone who likes it as dh doesn't so much. I think I'll put it on the list of to do's along with have some ribs.

Curlyjax Good luck on finding some kitchen chairs. How many do you need? We are having a bench seat put in our bay windows so that the table can move a bit and have more room in the kitchen. I was thinking if you lived here I've got a couple for you. I haven't seen coyotes for awhile, but I saw one on the way to Weight Watchers and on the way home today. I think he was the same guy in two different areas.

Bill What do you mean different fixtures for the electric car outlet? Darn about getting a duplicate book. I'm sure someone will want it.

Silverbirch Glad you're feeling hopeful about the new food plan. If something is too complicated it is just too hard for me to stick with. I guess that's why I eat a lot of the same meals over and over.

Nationalparker Congratulations on the promotion!!!!! You deserve it. Does this mean the problem child will no longer be your problem? Are you off to Florida? I think so. Have a wonderful time.

Waving to everybody! I've got music going and I'm going to sit down and read or listen to a book and enjoy the day. We're meeting friends for an early dinner and that will be fun.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #95
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 177/156/145

Height: 5-4

Default Take me home, well...not country roads but direct flight

We finally got in to my brother's after 11 and now hitting the sack. So so good to see him. I'm weary. Again fell asleep before takeoff. I guess I'm getting on planes and just relaxing. Dh rented a sporty Mustang GT and is thrilled. It was cheapest option, believe it or not. I didn't and had to see for myself. The sedan was $335 and this was $180. Crazy.

Food was ok until late dinner at cracker barrel of two pancakes. I'll survive.

Big gathering here Sunday of all the kids and grandkids...Will be a treat to see them all.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #96
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning from a slow Sunday morning train. This is the second of five today and all is going well so far. I've packed my food and have planned when to have lunch. It will be between Birmingham New Street and Bristol Temple Meads. (I think gardenerjoy knows these stations! And curlyjax knows the refreshments trolley which I usually avoid unless it's winter and I'm desperate.)

I thought my tum was a little smaller this morning but the scales and tape measure didn't back me up. It's probably reflecting my revised (vintage) eating plan.

Hope your Sunday is all you hope for.

Last edited by silverbirch; 08-13-2017 at 04:50 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #97
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Aztec capital falls (1521, Tenochtitlán, Mexico (Mexico City))

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner on the patio of chicken; this time I used Lizano Sauce in memory of our trip to Costa Rica where it was always on the table and where the Ticas in our group doused it on everything. It's terrific; adds a salt-sugar-vinegar taste to everything. It's now readily available in the U.S. - from Amazon, for example. Dessert was watermelon. One watermelon lasts us a long time. When I was a kid, a cut watermelon was consumed on the spot. Of course, when I was a kid there were always a lot of kids around.

I spent part of the day designing a box to hold the EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) that will hang outside connected to the to-be-installed 240 volt outlet. I had asked the electrician to choose a box for this but he didn't find one, "They said they could order one." I made a mock-up from a cardboard box to get a feeling for what might fit in the small space that's available next to the electric meter on the side of the house. DW shows no interest in making it out of wood, which would look nice. I'll keep looking until I find just the right box. It's a good 'guy' type of project.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for planning to skip the naan. I, too, have had trouble keeping it to a sane portion.

silverbirch – Yay for the good feeling from your "revised (vintage) eating plan." Good luck avoiding the refreshments trolley - I'll conjure an image of that from my memories of the Harry Potter movies, LOL.

nationalparker – Waving back toward Florida. Love the notion that you're tooling around in a "sporty Mustang GT". Beware, 435 is a lot of horsepower! Have a happy family gathering.

Karen (karenrn) - Thanks for "what we think and say to ourselves is worse than what anyone else had ever said" - it's so hard to remember that others aren't thinking about us most of the time. [I'm looking for an outdoor outlet and a surrounding box that will fit in a confined space. In part it's because I find it fun to go searching through stuff I'm not familiar with.]

curlyjax - Good luck hunting for chairs. When I don't need a certain piece of furniture, I see it at yard sales and Craigslist. When I'm on the search, they're scarce. Thanks for the reminder, "so balance must be learned."

Readers -
Quote:

Consider the following questions:
  • Do you sometimes eat even when you're not really hungry? In other words, can you easily tell the difference between being hungry and just wanting to eat?
  • Are you sometimes concerned that you might not have an opportunity to eat? Do you have such thoughts as, What if I get hungry later?
  • Do you sometimes eat past the point of mild fullness?
  • Do you fool yourself about your eating? In other words, do you sometimes tell yourself that it "won't matter" if you eat a small piece of something you're not supposed to eat?
  • Do you comfort yourself with food?
  • If the scale goes up, do you sometimes abandon your diet altogether?
  • Do you sometimes eat because it doesn't feel fair that you can't eat just like everyone else?
  • Do you stop dieting as soon as you've lost weight?

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-13-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #98

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches-
More tech things falling apart. First my cell phone came apart physically, now my old faithful laptop is turning itself off a lot. DH was optimistic that we just need to delete files etc, but it is at least 5 years old, possibly more like 7, and every other computer thing i’ve owned starts falling apart like this. It has all my passwords stored for websites like this- not banking, but still, plus numerous photos, email contacts etc which I haven’t backed up. I’m going to try to rescue what i can if it will turn on again. I hate doing this stufff!!

We found some possible chairs but nothing definite yet. We have 3 out of 4 matching, the 4th broke, so would like to start over with 4. You do have to sit in an older chair to make sure it isn’t wobbly etc. We’re making do with other old ones we’ve saved for now.

Karen-I would take you up on the chair offer if i lived there! Bench seat in bay window sounds very nice.
Nationalparker- have a great time in Florida with your brother. So glad you get to see him again.
Bill- thanks for mention of Lizano sauce, never heard of it.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #99
Green Tomatoes

I followed my plan yesterday. That feels like a terrific accomplishment, just now. I have a good plan for today, too.

Thanks for reminding me of the trains in England, silverbirch. We made most of our train trips on Sundays, with the Sunday Times and sandwiches from Marks & Spencer. It made me feel like I was getting a true English experience. Fun memory!

My goal story: Fifty and feeling fabulous!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #100

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Well yesterday morning I decided I would have a couple of beers. We were meeting friends for happy hour and we do so little socializing in the summer, I decided to have the beer and then get back on no beer. I think we may have another social event at the end of the month. Even so, it's a lot better than having them as regularly as I was doing. So, I enjoyed a couple of beers and a delicious turkey sandwich on a pretzel roll with roasted brussel sprouts for the side dish. Both of us gals had a hearty meal and both guys had salads for dinner, what a change.

This morning dh took the pup for his walk and I went to the gym. I haven't been on the elliptical for some time, but it was all good. I did 35 minutes on the elliptical and then did the weight machines to further my goal of pull ups.

Dh's golf game yesterday was very good and his hand is still good. Yea for him and kind of yea for me cause he will be a bear if he feels golf is not in his future.

No big plans for the day, just Costco and grocery store and food semi-planning for the week, which I kind of like to do. We're selling and giving away some of the things we are removing from the house like overhead fans and lighting. Yesterday I sold one fan for $50 and today I'm giving an older one away. I have used the Nextdoor.com website which is great. It only goes out to people in our area and I know who they are because I can look them up on the website.

GardenerJoy Just a day or two on plan builds so much confidence. Keep up the good work.

Curlyjax I am making do with a very old laptop. It's a Macbook and I think they are kind of pricey. The battery is not good and even was replaced. I pretty much just leave it plugged in now. It doesn't shut off or do anything like that though. Good luck with getting yours to last a little longer or at least long enough to back up your stuff.

Bill I'm going to look for that Lozano sauce. I read the info and it says it is a little similar to Worcestershire which I love. I love watermelon, but can really only buy those little ones because dh won't eat it. He actually sells melon and doesn't like it. I think he had to eat a lot of it at one point or something. That wouldn't stop me.

Silverbirch The train ride sounds nice to me. I have ridden the train so seldom. I thought sure I was getting a lot smaller so I had dh bring the tape measure over from our house. Not much, I'll tell you. About 1/2 inch in a few places.

Nationalparker Have a wonderful time. Riding around in a sporty vehicle sounds fun. I've been using Costco lately for car rentals and getting good deals. The rentals are actually from the usual agencies, but Costco gets a pretty good deal.

Have a great Sunday everybody!
Old 08-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #101
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Coaches

A quick check in.
Eating still on plan. I can't believe how simple this plan seems, I see the dietician Tuesday and I am worried she is going to add restrictions.
Exercise is going well. It is still really hot here, I am sure it is not as hot as the southern States. It is the humidity that is horrible. Was with DGD today having fun. I am exhausted so I am off to bed.
Hello to everyone and have a great night.
Take Care
Ann
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #102
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 177/156/145

Height: 5-4

We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon of family here through the early evening. Sixteen folks around is a lot of action, especially when four of them are four and under. Food was on plan and light. We'll probably nosh something else before we hit the sack later since dinner was at 4:30. Our food plan's author reminds us that we need to feed our metabolism to keep it cranking, like a fire - you keep steadily adding firewood and not just a whole bunch at a time and then nothing. That is easy for me to imagine. So good to spend time with DB and SIL. She's seeming more frustrated by things - but lots for her to juggle with a demanding job, caregiving (though not like you think for say, and end-of-life situation, but still helping navigate the dr. appts/assisting when he's not feeling great), the kids and grandkids, her activity, etc., I need to keep that in mind. I'm sorry that I'm just popping in without personals.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-14-2017 at 07:41 AM.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:25 AM   #103
1.have a plan 2.follow it

S/C/G: 291/258/150

Default Flyby

Coaches

A midnight hour hello to you all. My not eating when stressed statement fell apart ba few time since I made it but I got back on track right away. Credit.

Today I felt mopey that I am holding between 262-258. I lost that weight back in March and have been holding steady ever since. I'd like to lose some more but this summer has proven itself to be a real food plan destroyer/distractor. Historically, I rarely lose weight in the summer. I find it the hardest season because I am so distracted and busy. So I'm trying to be grateful for staying the course and maintaining a 15-20lb weight-loss. I just wish, of course, that it was twice that.

Oh well.

Have a good night.

nationalparker: enjoy your visit with your brother!
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:14 AM   #104
in development

Good morning, all. A good train journey yesterday. Getting through all those changes were helped by (1) having all info for the journey on a piece of paper in my pocket (2) planning and packing my food (3) a good novel - I finished it just before I arrived at my destination. I'm not sure how today will work out but we are having salmon for lunch. Tea is to be decided.

onebyone, getting back on track is so good. Much credit to you.

nationalparker, enjoy your time away with your brother.

Ann, what is your eating plan? Glad it's so simple for you.

karenrn and curlyjax, I've just upgraded the operating systems on my laptop and desktop and it's made a big difference to speed. (I backed everything up first, of course!)

gardenerjoy, many congrats on following your plan!

Bill, the box project sounds good. Could it offer a reason to investigate some interesting yard sales and so on, or will you be searching online?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #105
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Russians settle Alaska (1784, Three Saints Bay)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, with the standard search of two micro-libraries along the route without taking any books. I love the search; I love choosing not to take books. I did finish Micro-Cosmos: Four Billion Years of Microbial Evolution by Margulis and Sagan. Reading a 28 year old science book wouldn't be my first choice but a friend had so adamantly declared it to be the book that changed his view of life on earth. They make the standard case that mitochondria in our cells and chlorophyll in plants are captured bacteria - long, long ago. Both have their own bacteria-like DNA. They expand that notion to include the neurons in our brains and the cilia in our lungs that do not have their own DNA - an idea that isn't so widely accepted. We humans are just incidental to the plans of bacteria who own the planet. It's our duty to carry the DNA of life to other planets and other galaxies in the form of bacteria. So it's germ appreciation week around here, LOL.

Eating was only OK. I'm reminded that when I was losing weight that I was religious about snacking. Yesterday I snacked at Happy Hour as if that was the reason for being there. I'll get my head back to rational thinking; it's just going back there slowly.

onebyone – Today is also the 14th anniversary of the blackout that hit the eastern U.S. and Canada. Do you remember where you were? I do. Yep, be grateful for maintaining.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Each day on plan is a victory.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving. Thought of you when typing that the Russians settled Three Saints Bay. Up there in “Seward’s folly,” “Seward’s icebox,” and President Andrew Johnson’s “polar bear garden.”

silverbirch – Yep, Kudos for planning a convoluted trip so that you worked it all out. [Any excuse for yard sale shopping is welcomed. There might be ideas out there even if not the actual box that I need.]

nationalparker – Kudos for remaining sane with a mob of sixteen folks. It's great that your DB and SIL can handle that load.

Karen (karenrn) - It is the reverse of the expected that the guys had salads while the women had robust meals. Kudos for continuing the weight training.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yay for the exhaustion caused by a DGD.

curlyjax - Better it's your tech stuff falling apart than your body pieces. I like following the hunt for chairs.

Readers -
Quote:

If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you possess characteristics that can make dieting difficult.