Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:23 AM   #61  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday

Checking in. Today looks as though it will be better paced. I've written a basic plan and will do flexibility exercises in a moment. The pouring rain I woke up to has stopped but it's quite cool still. 10C which is 50F, I think. We may light the fire this evening if it carries on like this.

The more I think about it, the more I have to change my way of eating back to smaller portions. I do sometimes wonder whether being here at 3FC has affected my eating patterns for the worse. Thanks for piping up, ennay, about how high fat / low carb affected your digestion. The short period I was on low fat (when I was test-driving having support from the nurse at the surgery) was awful too. I think I'll go back to middle/middle etc. Yes, karenrn, you can use HFLC to get into ketosis but I don't think I got to that stage. Overall, it's thought to be a better approach than too many carbs and low fat which are quite damaging over time. I think the 'high' and 'low' terms are rather misleading because it all depends, of course, on where you're starting from.

onebyone, a wobble here and there sounds pretty normal. A big hug to you. Good luck with throwing things into the bin at the studio. And excellent work with food.

nationalparker, that salt water taffy! Have you got a big bag of it or are you buying it day by day? Much kudos for passing on your baseball card collection - those boys will love it. Have you moved on from being a sports writer now? I had wondered what you do.

maryann, thanks for the info about your pressure cooker. I've noticed you sing its praises since you've bought it. This is the one that first attracted my attention and I could see possibilities (though I'm not sure this one is 'the one'). We have hardly any gadgets at all and no microwave so I'm not sure how I'd like this thing. We'd probably like a slow cooker (I cook things very slowly in the oven, especially in winter, and used to use a hay box at one time). I used to make yoghurt in the airing cupboard, and then in a vacuum flask and will probably get back to that. And then there's setting the DB up for when he leaves home. Etc etc. Lots to think about.

Ann, I love this: 'my new eating plan is going well'. Congrats!

Bill, Fellowship Hour sounds so dangerous! Does the food stand in for people's lunch or is meant to be just a snack? You could concentrate on the fellowship, I suppose. I think gardenerjoy sometimes says she's going to concentrate on the people.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:05 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Pioneer-Venus 2 launched (1978, toward Venus)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included a very full micro-library with books by authors I'd read. I walked away without taking them by reminding myself that the books also existed in the library - and that my reading stacks were overflowing their assigned little locations. I've started reading several of the assigned books for my classes in September which feels odd here in the middle of the summer. Facebook friends are posting pictures of their little darlings headed back to school which, again, feels odd here in the middle of summer. It's still summer. It's STILL summer. IT'S. STILL. SUMMER.

Eating was OK. Dinner was inside because the rain was coming and going - too wet to enjoy the patio but too little to make the gardener DW happy. Cherries for the afternoon snack were sweet and juicy. Breakfast included banana, strawberries, blueberries, and a peach. Summer is so fine.

onebyone – Yep, Kudos, indeed, for tossing the stuff from your studio. Neat that you handle food well when under stress - not everyone can do that.

silverbirch – Smaller portions seems to be a solution when others aren't. [Yep, if I concentrated on people instead of the neat homemade goodies I'd be better off.]

maryann - Kudos for doing the basics, "I ate much smaller portions, however, and followed the Beck rule of leaving food on my plate."

nationalparker – Super Kudos for passing along your baseball card collection. That's the kind of moving stuff out of our lives that I'm hoping to learn to do someday. DW keeps reminding me that when we're trotted off to the old folks home, we only bring a chair and a few sets of clothes. All this other 'stuff' has to be disposed by someone.

Karen (karenrn) - The Big Sick will have to go on my list. Kudos for continuing with your "no alcohol August." Interesting that none is easier than a little.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Neat to walk with your DH to make time fly. Yay for a DGD who is too young to be polite and ignore a stomach.

ennay - Interesting that we can feel tired when it wasn't from physical work. Hope you found more coffee. [Around here antifreeze has to be used in the pipes to prevent freezing.]

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

A Great Example of Helpful Thinking

Fortunately, she was well equipped to answer these thoughts each time one occurred:
  • No, I don't need to eat them. I'm having lunch in two hours. Leave the kitchenette.
  • No, I don't need to eat them. I just had lunch a couple of hours ago. If I hadn't come in here to get a cup of coffee, I wouldn't even have thought about them. Get my coffee and leave.
  • No, I don't need to eat them now. I'm avoiding making a phone call. Go do it or find something else to do.
  • No, I don't' need to eat a sticky bun, even though I'm really hungry. This hunger will go away soon if I concentrate on my work. And, besides, it's not that long until dinner.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 31.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #63  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches

Yesterday was a good day for eating and exercise. I felt hungry when I went to bed. Thankfully I was too lazy to get up and make something so I fell asleep.
Also yesterday morning a baby dove was on the railing of our front deck. The mother was on a wire watching it and I searched on the internet what I should do and it said to leave it alone it would not be there too long as it was probably learning to fly. The article also said that it might walk back and forth before it actually flies. It slept and walked and I think it was trying to watch tv last night while my husband was watching the news. I told him he had to watch tv in the rec room so the baby dove could sleep. I wouldn’t let anyone come in the front door they had to use the side door. This morning it was there and now it is gone and so it the mom, so hopefully they are out flying.

Bill- I also find it odd people posting about back to school when it is still summer. I guess because the kids in our area go back to school September 5th, there is no hurry.

Onebyone – yeah for getting rid of four bags of stuff from your studio. Good luck with organizing and mobilizing volunteers

Silverbirch – Yeah for having a basic plan. Seeing the dietician makes me see a simple plan may be what I need. I think the dietician thinks that all these diets don’t work for the long run (her opinion), she believes I need to stop worrying about low carb, low fat, and things like that and focus on eating real foods and not processed food. She thinks in the long run it will become a way of life and more sustainable.

Maryann – oh butterscotch pudding, I love it but it is a trigger for me so I don’t have it in my house.

Nationalparker- how kind of you to part with your baseball collection. I am sure that boy will be so excited.

Karen – Congratulations on your alcohol free August. I think it is funny you wear Otis out so he naps in the afternoons.

Ennay- you are one busy lady. How do you fit everything in, 100 hours of work, having people eating between 3-10, you must be very organized.

Hello to everyone else and have a great day.

Ann
Old 08-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
I have today off and it looks like a nice day for a nap! DD has a list of things she wants me to do Normally the rainy cool weather tempts me to bake something but i’m feeling so lazy/tired i won’t, so its all good.
DH and I are ready to start planning our next trip. he would like to keep doing trips while he’s able to, so we’re doing some of our “retirement” traveling now, as we did put aside some money for it.
My new idea is Arizona- the grand canyon etc, hopefully in the Spring- so I will be asking Karen for advice! This one is for the grownups only.

Silverbirch- I don’t have a pressure cooker, but love my microwave and have a crockpot. Every so often i’m tempted to get a new gadget and dh often restrains me
Newlifestyle- that menu planner looks helpful. Glad you new eating plan is going well.
Maryann- I love Louise Penny!
Bill- we are already getting info from guidance counselors (gentle prodding for upcoming seniors and their parents) so yes, september is coming! But you’re right, it is still summer.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:53 AM   #65  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a beautiful morning here. Otis and I had a nice hour long walk and it is still only 80 degrees. We had our walk in 79 degrees and only one garbage truck. This was likely the coolest morning of the week and we so enjoyed it. It gives me hope that it won't be this hot forever.

It was fun to have my friend Carrie at the gym yesterday. I guess my fear when I tell someone how much I like something and then they do it, is that they won't like it, and will be critical and pick it apart. Sometimes that happens cause I tend to go with the flow better than a few of my friends. She actually really liked it except that it is not kept very cool in the gym and that is true. I think in the big warehouse type building it is difficult to keep it cool enough in these temps. I don't know if she will decide to drive this far and want to join, but I was glad she liked it. Also, she is not one to be generous with the compliments and she thinks I'm looking great. She thinks the strength training is really working and I am shrinking even if the scale isn't so much lower. Of course it's always nice to get a compliment.

Curlyjax I would love to meet you in person if you come out this way. Also, depending on how much time you have and where you fly to you may want to see Sedona and or Zion National Park. It's so much fun to plan trips.

Ann I'm glad the baby dove seems to have flown off with Mama. We have so many doves here. The crazy bug lady next door feeds them, which is fine. One day when I was going outside I heard her say, "Here dovey, dovey"
I thought she had named them and was calling for Debbie. She told me the fire ants wouldn't bite her because she has good karma and they would know it. I wanted to drag her over and stand her on the ants to see . . . but that wouldn't help my karma.

Bill I thoroughly enjoy all the fruit in summer too. I know at times I probably eat more of it than I should, but I don't think anyone got fat from eating fruit. The schools here are back in session. I couldn't believe how early they go back when we first arrived. I'm thinking now that since it's so hot anyway, being in school isn't such a bad thing. They get fairly long breaks for Fall, Winter and Spring. Probably a couple of weeks each time.

Silverbirch Okay, I have to ask how 3FC may haves changed your eating patterns for the worse. Is it because you hear what others are doing and then try that?

Onebyone Good luck getting everything completed for your print making event.

Nationalparker Glad you found some one who will be thrilled with your collection. It's so much easier to let loose of things when they are wanted by others. For years I asked about anyone interested in Sherlock Holmes books and finally got a taker in one of the hike leaders with the Sierra Club. I mailed off those books she didn't already have.

Ennay When you said how tired you were the other day I am wondering, are you drinking enough water? I say that because it is something I forget to do at times and then wonder why I'm not feeling great.

Well on with the day. On the docket for today are shoulder machines at the Y, yoga, and choosing hardware for the new kitchen. Have a great day everybody!
Old 08-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #66  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

morning coaches!

yesterday credit for working out despite feeling sooo tired. I felt better after so I think it was just sun.

I dont work the 100 weeks often. And sometimes I dont work at all. I work for a small theatre and the 100 hr weeks are when a show is going up. I dont think I will have as many as last year. We do 8 productions/events a year and last year I took on extra work in 7 of the 8 either as an actor or a tech or a designer. The longest weeks are when I get involved in lighting design because often I am there during the workday doing lights and then there during the evening to see how it went and redo or, as in last years case, running the lightboard myself. I am pulling WAY back on my lighting involvement this year, assisting in one design and not running the board at all. Acting in no more than 1, despite there being a good role for me in the last show of the season. It killed me last year because it gets into baseball tournament and ballet recital season and I just cant but the last show is always when the roles for women of a certain age are. Sigh. I think doing so much last year is why I had pneumonia 3 times though.

I am flabbergasted by these schools that go back August 1st! Our school district moved to the week before Labor Day and I hate it. I feel like summer JUST started. Oregon is usually cold and rainy until close to the end of June and September is our hottest month and most of our schools don't have A/C. IMO we shouldn't go back until about Sept 20. I guess I need to bite the bullet and do some supply shopping.

Newlifestyle hah! I fluctuate between hyperorganized and complete chaos. I literally did not unpack my work bag from the FIRST show of last season until after the LAST show of the season. I had 7 bags with notebooks and pencils and random bits of clothing and shoes and wigs and cough drops and trinkets etc. just tossed in a corner, sometimes dumped when I needed something for the next show. Right now organization is my downfall, I was getting really decluttered and then we got the puppy and it was like having an infant and it all went to heck and I just cant get back on top.

karenrn It probably was water. Out at the lake, no decent place to pee, and I was in the sun most of the time since the puppy didnt like the wave action on the lake. My weight was down yesterday, but back up today.

Last edited by ennay; 08-08-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in at the mall before it opens. This is a rare event but I intend to mall walk. I am in Sacramento and can't do any chores until 10:00. Credit for flexibility and creativity. I need to walk elevation in my "couch" to Whitney program ( self made) so I will walk the stairs here. Today is a lot of showing up for things I hate like my every three month shrink appt. I have one last "as I need it" anxiety med. The new doc (teaching hospital so a new one every year) thinks I should switch to a daily. I just got off a daily. Still, it is all about willingness. I told her if I am not virtually off this in six months I'll consider switching. Nothing like opening the guts to a 20 something who can't possibility understand my fifty something journey. DH reminded me of Mike Tyson's quote that everybody has a better plan until they step into the ring and start getting their lights punched out. Sigh. I am grateful for the ego deflating exercises that keep me honest and moving forward. This is absolutely my path with food as well. Healthy breakfast and 10,000 mall steps. I declare the day a victory.

Last edited by maryann; 08-08-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #68  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

So hungry today!!!!!

Trying to start my son on some yoga and body weight exercises for baseball. Can not hold a balance pose for more than about 10 seconds without my formerly sprained ankles screaming. Good to know i think. I guess his baseball yoga will be good for me too.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:05 AM   #69  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Henry David Thoreau publishes "Walden" (1854, Walden Pond, MA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Finished a book that DW wanted me to read: Roz Chast, Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? I laughed and cried the whole way. Now I cringe at the thought that I'll be leaving it up to my kids to clean up my 'stuff' unless I get moving while I'm still physically and mentally able to pare down. Her family's apartment in New York City had a 'crazy' closet that sounds like my basement and my attic combined into one small space. DW and I spent dinner on the patio talking about her late mother.

Eating was OK. Just one more evening of grilled salmon on the patio - with watermelon for dessert. CREDIT moi for enjoying life. A major accomplishment of the day was to send off an email that I'd been procrastinating about. The longer I put it off, the more embarrassing it was becoming. Finally figured out how to learn the email address that I needed and got it done.

maryann - Gotta love the Mike Tyson quote, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Then I couldn't stop reading all the rest in this collection. Kudos for "I declare the day a victory."

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for accepting a compliment - you earned it.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Feeling hungry when you went to bed is a great accomplishment for the day; Kudos.

curlyjax - Visiting The Grand Canyon is a terrific idea. It's just too vast to be captured on any picture you've seen. And Flagstaff, Arizona is a neat city that you'll inevitably go through or stay in. So many things to see in Arizona.

ennay - Eight plays with their 100 hour weeks is a challenge to the body. Kudos for being in good enough physical shape to do that. Good luck getting back to yoga.

Readers -
Quote:

Emma also positively reinforced herself every time she refrained from eating the sticky buns. She didn't say, Darn, I wish I could eat them. She said, That's great that I didn't eat them. In this way, she strengthened her resistance muscle and weakened her giving-in muscle.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 31.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Summer has officially ended for me. That is a good thing for my food plan I think. I will wear my staff polo and start thinking deep teaching thoughts actually I am going to distribute freshman name tags and stack books on a shelf waiting to be inspired. That is usually my first day back process. Class doesn't start until next Wednesday. I committ to gym tonite since the boys will be off at the ranch. I recommit to the standard "No sweets at work."

Credit for planning two elevation hikes this weekend. One is BBE favorite places: Muir Woods

Wave to all.
MA

Last edited by maryann; 08-09-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #71  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Another good day here starting with a walk in 79 degrees. You just can't believe how good that feels compared to mid or high 80's with humidity. The temps are getting higher in the afternoon, but it's a DRY heat. ha ha We had a really good upper body workout at the gym today. There is no way I can't get stronger with all of this. I've met a really nice gal who hikes and would like to backpack and she lives here full time. Yahoo for that one. I love finding new friends and especially when they are active.

I'm going to see the movie Maudie early this afternoon. Otis has been at work all morning, so I know he won't care if he stays in his crate for a nap for a couple of hours.

Food continues to be on plan. It's quite miraculous how that happens when there is nothing in the house that would be tempting. The only thing I would be able to do is go buy something, or eat too much of a good thing.

Maryann I so wish I were there to join you on the elevation hikes. I can't wait until it gets a little cooler here, then I'll hike and still get Otis out for a walk. And oh those Mike Tyson quotes; really uplifting, NOT.

Bill I downloaded the book you mentioned onto my Kindle from the library. Now all I have to do is go to our house to get my Kindle. It sounds like an interesting read. Even though you have some extra things are they super organized? My Dad was an engineer and my folks home was super organized.

Ennay Don't you just hate those hungry days? I think the balance poses in yoga are quite difficult. Even though I sprained my right ankle, I think it is good now and I do better on that leg. I think it's really good to keep working on it. I hope it gets easier for you.

Happy Hump Day everybody!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #72  
newlifestyle

Waving hello to everyone. Super busy day. I ate on plan and got exercise. I have a friend who owns a restaurant and she had a few sick calls so asked if I could help out. I have never been a server but told her I would help her. It is funny because I made awesome tips. People kept on telling me i was doing great. It was fun but hard work.
I hope everyone had a great day.
Take Care
Ann
Old 08-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #73  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Just a gorgeous weather day here - couldn't dial up a better one if I wanted to. Was surprised with dh's older daughter and her baby popping by. I had nothing to prepare for dinner except the meat... so grilled pork chops for DH and chicken for us, cut up san marzano tomatoes with herb balsamic and made tropical salads with mandarin oranges, unsweetened coconut, cranberries, with pineapple balsamic. Added some carrot sticks and we had a well-rounded meal. I was stuck for ideas. Night off from the flooring project. Speedy post as she's still visiting.

Ennay - Schools in this area started up on July 31 or another day that week ... seems crazy early but I always went back in August, never after Labor Day. But NEVER in July!
Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #74  
newlifestyle

Good morning Coaches,

I slept really well and just got up so thought I would post early as my days seem so busy and I am not getting time to post. Eating is still on plan. It seems like it is too simple going back to basics. I am still trusting in the plan. I have decided to donate my tips from yesterday to the food bank.

Bill- When I read DW and I had dinner on the patio, I think of the book Tuesdays with Morrie, I am not sure why. As I was looking at stuff about being a minimalist I came across this. http://loveandmarriageblog.com/30-da...ter-challenge/

Maryann- enjoy your two hikes this weekend. Also as a parent I want to say thank you for making a difference in the lives of students.

Karen – That was too funny about the crazy bug lady. She is lucky you want good Karma.

Curlyjax- How was your day off? Good luck on planning your next trip.

Nationalparker – How nice DH’s daughter and baby surprised you for a visit and great job throwing a healthy unplanned meal together.

Ennay- Do you have to buy a lot of school supplies. At our school all the supplies are provided. I just picked up a new backpack for him.

Hello to everyone and I hope you all have a great day.

Take Care
Ann
Old 08-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #75  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Louvre Museum opens (1793, Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard exercise chasing the DGD, CREDIT moi. The structure of her English remains the same as she stuffs her repertoire with more words. She confidently did a puzzle that had eluded her just a few months ago. Intently watching other kids at the playground is a big part of her play time. I noticed that the baseball-sized rocks were very warm when she was moving them from one place on our front porch to the other. So I dipped them into an available gallon jug of water. Immediately, the new game became dipping the rocks into the jug. One by one. Over and over again. Water is just the best for making a mess since it cleans itself up.

Dinner on the patio consisted of baby-back ribs. It was planned, but seriously high in calories. Clearly my arteries couldn't take this on a daily basis. Fortunately, DW serves them about every five years or so. The green salad seemed to wash it down. We wore aprons and used a wet washcloth to try to stay ahead of the mess. I forget between indulging who much sugar is the basis of barbeque sauce. Watermelon for dessert, but that was followed by a second dessert of homegrown organic blueberries that were a gift from a friend. It's just so summer.

maryann - Thinking fondly of the redwoods in Muir Woods. What a joyous place. Kudos for planning "No sweets at work."

nationalparker – Kudos for being so resourceful creating a meal out of thin air. Nice to hear of a visit by the DSD in a positive tone.

Karen (karenrn) - Will wait for your review of Maudie - looking for a verb in the story line. Yay for controlling your environment per, "when there is nothing in the house that would be tempting." [Interested in hearing how a book of drawings does on your Kindle.]

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Congrats for being flexible enough to step in as a server in a restaurant. It's on my Bucket List to do that; not sure how well I'll do with the patience required.

Readers -
Quote:

If you've never had the experience of feeling proud of yourself for not eating, you're in for a wonderful surprise. Keep reading and do all the tasks in the Beck Diet Solution program. You'll not only lose weight, but also you'll be so glad that you learned how to control your sabotaging thinking so you can permanently control your eating.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 32.
Closed Thread