Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #16  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, coaches~ Working from home today and have been steadily chugging along. Questioned by my director if I would consider a duties change and take over something I don't really care to. Initially, I said I'm not really interested, and as I'm further thinking it, I am set with that decision, even though it means it affects others that he wanted to provide different opportunities to. I typically am the one who will take on whatever, but this time I think I'm going to fight to keep this one project, even though it's my highest stress and requires a lot of work. I work very well with the folks I work with on this event and have put in a lot of prep work through the years on it. But this has been occupying my thoughts today. I understand that my boss could just say, tough, I'm making this move, but I'm going to push back for once and if that still happens, it happens. I spoke with one of the guys I work with on this event and he agreed with me, so that was good confirmation. I am torn with wanting to be a team player and wanting to keep my own career/workload in mind.

Realized that with all my recent weight gain, those size 10 jeans that fit perfectly last winter, were not going to fit at all ... I need to get my priorities set and not just be all talk, no cattle. (OneByOne, you have no idea how much I like your line from a few years ago! Except half the time I say all talk, no hat ... not sure why). Tried on a pair this morning to get a feel for how big my body has grown. Reality.

We're in phase two meals now midweek, which is what I call boring. Alkaline veg and protein, not usually legumes. So it'll be cabbage and I'm going to save some of the head of cabbage for cole slaw on the weekend, along with rotisserie chicken, and sliced cukes, onions and tomatoes. DH got home last night after taking leftover gumbo for lunch, saying, "You can make that gumbo every week, if you want!" While that made me feel good, I said it was more prep-intensive than I'd tackle every week.

Hoping to get back to this with personals this evening. I know, though, if I hold, it'll be another day with no post.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #17  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches

Busy day yesterday and today. I am still eating on plan ( the I see the dietician soon plan) I am not sure why but it is working. I got a lot of walking today. Had DGD and she keeps me moving. I just wanted to post before I fall asleep. The good thing about being busy is that I don't have time for the computer. The bad thing about being busy is I don't have time to check in. I need to check in to keep on track. Thank you to all of you for being here and helping to keep me accountable.
Have a great night and hello to everyone.

Take Care
Ann
Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Henry Hudson discovers a great bay (1610, east coast of Canada)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – DGD exercise day, CREDIT moi. Talking now approaches non-stop. Every instance gets a five word sentence response. She played in the water portion of a local playground. Both water and other kids capture her full, undivided attention. Gotta admire the focus.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. The big event of the day was the arrival of a kilo box of Plantskydd - a rabbit repellent made from . . . wait for it . . . dried Ox blood. (OK, it's bovine and porcine blood, but Oxen are bovine, LOL.) I dread the thought of getting raided by the police for some mistake then having them find a box of Ox blood in the basement.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Waving. That Plantskydd was made in St. Joseph, Missouri - close enough for you to tour the plant, LOL.

silverbirch – Yep, there should be no link to Eton mess - although strawberries are high in Vitamin C, LOL. Scarborough Castle looks exciting.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder that following directions is an option. Kudos for sticking with your clothes plan.

nationalparker – Stay strong keeping your own needs in mind when offered changes at work. Thanks for reminding us of onebyone's "all talk, no cattle."

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for staying your plan to skip the beer. Iced tea is just the best. [Yep, we put a dishwasher in the rental house next door recently - good memory on your part.]

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Yay for a DGD to keep you moving. Kudos for eating on plan.

curlyjax - Yay for wild black raspberries in your own backyard. Kudos for taking that walk.

ennay - Always Kudos for leaving food at a restaurant.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

From Trigger to Eating

At other times, the chain of events that ends in eating is a little more complicated. You strongly argue with yourself before you make the decision to eat. You think to yourself, I think I'll have it ... No, I really shouldn't ... But I really want it ... It's not on my diet ... It looks so good ... But I'm not supposed to eat it. Depending on where this inner argument ends, you either make the decision to eat it or you make the decision not to eat it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 30.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #19  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Morning coaches!

I had a great day yesterday! I waited too long to walk outside, so resigned myself to an indoor treadmill walk. After a few minutes I really wanted to run, so I thought I would ramp it up for a minute or so. As I was ramping up I hit that weird point where its uncomfortable to walk, but kinda too slow to jog, but I just stopped there and ended up jogging for 23 minutes. I can never make myself run slow enough outside to go that long - my old fit pace feels more "natural". AND also kudos to me for stopping, I was going to keep going, but my sprained ankle started feeling warm so I immediately ramped it down. Ended up with a total of 45 minutes - which was my goal

Also credit because I was meeting friends at a bar for drinks and I had planned the drink into my week. But I was a bit too hungry and the bar food was awful choices and I had allocated about 300 calories for bar food, but nothing really looked worth it. I knew if I had nothing I would inhale the drink, so I put 6 of the cajun tots on my plate ~100 c and was able to ignore all the rest of the shared baskets of tots and fries.

And a spectacular cold dinner last night. dd hated it and ended up eating pbtoast. Everyone else loved it. It was a dish I that was supposed to be served warm, but imo was so much better cold and let sit overnight to get the flavors blended. Roasted sweet potatoes and roasted red and yellow peppers, diced grilled chicken with a taco spice rub, all tossed with lime juice, a little more taco seasoning, salt, pepper, green onions and feta.

Last edited by ennay; 08-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #20  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. Otis and I took our walk this morning which started out with me stepping into fire ants right in front of our place. They didn't get me near as badly as last time. I will have to take a closer look to see where those damn ants are. So I came in and changed shoes and socks and we set out again. We have a very strange, and I mean very strange, lady who lives next door. She was here 12 years ago when we were here too. We call her the bug lady. Twice a day she goes out to the pool with a net thing to find any bugs that may have gotten in and not just bees to save. Anyway I would put something on those fire ants to kill them if I could find them, but I'm afraid of what she might do. She also identifies herself as a witch and I don't want any hexes on me. So, I will just try to stay out of the darn things.

It was a really good workout at Crossfit yesterday and I have sore glutes to prove it. Today I'm going to the Y and hope to find someone to show me all the machines that work the shoulders and back and do some assisted pull ups and then on to yoga.

Bill Let us know how the Plantskydd works. We have rabbits here too, but since we don't have a garden I just think they look cute. They just chew the grass. I love the quote for today. I know that feeling oh so well. But now many times I can just say "No Choice". Following the Beck strategies works.

Ann That's super that your plan is working even though you don't know how. Does that mean that you're not feeling deprived or hungry? That's a good thing.

Nationalparker You work so hard, I sure hope you're not forced into something you would rather not do. That would suck, especially since you would rather not have to work at all. I've been making different things for dinner each night this week and I'll have to say we're really enjoying it. I have actually made these recipes once or so in the past, but they take a little longer since they are fairly new.

Ennay I bet your puppy is adorable. Several friends have Boston's and post their pictures frequently on FB. We crate our dog too. I always crate him when I leave. He is well potty trained, but I'm afraid what he might get in to. We do have a doggy door at home, but we only have it open when we are there and paying attention. We have a pool in the backyard. He knows how to get out of the pool. Eventually I hope to be able to leave him home uncrated with the doggy door open like we did for our last dog.

Silverbirch Well of course I had to look up Eton mess even before Bill provided the link. That looks delicious. I immediately thought of my Grandma Larsen because she so loved anything with whipped cream. She had diabetes later in life and was a nurse and she automatically adjust her insulin up for desserts with whipped cream.

Maryann I don't think daily points can be held over, but in reality what is the difference. The other thing that they don't promote, but you could do, is use some fit points that you have earned from exercise which could include garage cleaning. In my mind it really comes down to whatever works. I concur with the thin sliced sharp cheddar cheese. I will use some things that are lower cal, but if I'm going to eat cheese I want the real thing.

Curlyjax We were posting at the same time yesterday. Fun to hear more about your trip. I was surprised about the grocery prices.

Today I saw photos of the "Biggest Loser" winners at their starting weights, lowest weights and current weights for some of them. Not good. Most of them are as heavy as ever. The take away for me is slower weight loss is a good thing. It takes time to learn new habits and establish a new lifestyle.

Well on with the day. Have a good one everybody.

Last edited by karenrn; 08-03-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! Credit for going to bed a little hungry last night, and not having any sweets all day. I sat down with DH and we made a list of some new meals to try from our cookbooks etc as well as some old favorites we forgot about. It is easy to get bored and serve the same old stuff. We’ve kind of given up trying to plan for the kids as they often go off at the spur of the moment, so we’re going to have meals we like and let the chips fall where they may! Summer is often a time of more spontaneity so I need to embrace that and move on.

Silverbirch- yes, we did make it to Scarborough! Saw Scarborough castle but not the other thing you mentioned. Unfortunately, that was the worst weather of the trip, rainy and actually cold for summer (which I enjoyed, better than heat and humidity) but it was still nice to be at the water’s edge. I enjoyed Peasholm park, and DH and I enjoyed a performance of Taking Steps in a theater in the round. It sounds like Scarborough has seen better days (our B and B host went on and on about this) but it was fun to experience an English seaside area, and nice to relax after the business of York.
The place we stayed had free snacks in the room- like a LOT and it was all candy, crisps etc which was hard to stay out of.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #22  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

karenrn maybe you can just find some ant repellant that will coax them to leave your property and move in to hers. In my memory of fire ants, getting them to move is about all you can hope for anyway.

curlyjax summer is always hard to plan. I never know what veggies there will be on any given day so I need to be more flexible there. Your trip sounds wonderful.

Ugh no outdoor workout for sure today. The smoke from the BC fires has drifted the whole way down here. Thick enough that it is making my eyes burn in my house with the windows closed. We are probably 400-500 miles from the border.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit for a great day of OP. Then came the night and I couldn't quite close up the kitchen. Oh well. Tracked all the food at least. OP breakfast this morning. Weight remains three pounds above ticker. I move on.

Spent yesterday narrowing down college for DS. Knowing him, I was able to put together about twenty or so great possibilities that ranged from highly competitive to fun and accommodating. He is only a sophomore but he is such a perfectionist. I wanted him to know that he doesn't have to worry about Bs or test scores and to just enjoy his high school life. We have put together some great trips in conjunction with our goal to see every NBA venue. This winter will be Portland trailblazers and touring Gonzaga and Seattle University which are both Catholic. This is important to DS. Also University of Washington which has a strong engineering program. I think the time spent helped us all get some perspective and a sense of adventure. Onto planning my girl's weekend Charleston trip in October. I have just about finished my summer to do list. That feels good.

A trip to the gym is a priority when I sign off. It got lost somewhere yesterday and I settled for strength training at home.

BBE: We'll make a dinner date with you and DW in the next two years. Boston is our biggest college tour. Tufts, Boston U, Boston College (for music), and MIT. Maybe the Berkeley school of Music just for kicks. DS fell in love with your city. Big time Catholic as well.

Ennay: Yesterday's post about continuing to track through a binge was right on. Last night I could not stop eating OP foods. This morning, I tracked them and it wasn't as horrific an amount as it felt. The key for me is being held accountable without excessive self beratement.

KarenRn: I am big into ignoring my neighbors. Both DH and I really like anonymity. In our working class neighborhood, we have had an FBI search and seizure, a block closure while the police investigated a bomb threat from the teenager next door, and various other shenanigans. You can't choose your family or your neighbors unfortunately

Keep cool all..

Last edited by maryann; 08-03-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:02 PM   #24  
Enjoying la bella vita

Better post in the morning - all day on plan except for a few fingerling potatoes at the dinner theatre, and then of course, the dessert. I split with DH until they brought him his own on the house through a mix up and so I had a few bites of his, too. "So they didn't feel bad if it wasn't eaten." Not really, but I DID say, "We can't leave this uneaten." There is a law on the books somewhere that states that. HA.

I'm taking vacation day Friday because our summer schedule is a bit more flexible and I just am really wanting days off. I can't even get things done around the house because it's in a turmoil with the bedroom stuff all in the living room/dining room. I guess I can get started on meal prep for meals.

Our theatre event was a Johnny Cash music special and now DH is wailing away on his guitar, despite the early alarm for him/us. I long to sleep in on days off but wake up at 5 or 6 before the alarm goes off.

I will have to add Eton Mess to my "must enjoy" list. I was going to look it up until Bill linked as well.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Lizzie Borden took an axe (1892, Fall River, MA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – From experience I know that a fifteen minute task will take about an hour. So, I planned an hour to add a plug to the end of a wire that'll fit the new receptacle that the electrician will install this morning. Well, karma is catching up with me. A task that I secretly assume will take an hour now takes three hours - with a rest in between to try to figure out a solution. I got it done, CREDIT moi, even though it took a big chunk out of my day.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including, one more time, dawdling on the patio in the failing light. DW did shish-kabobs on the grill. The salad that I made had our community garden grown cukes. Summer is just so neat.

maryann - Kudos for starting early on down-selecting colleges - there do seem to be an infinite number. [DW was pleased to hear that she has a dinner date in the future with you and your DS.]

nationalparker – LOL at "So they didn't feel bad if it wasn't eaten." A clever justification reduces the calories. I just checked. Yep, Johnny Cash is still dead; you must have seen a video about him.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at your "bug lady." Kudos for that good CrossFit workout.

curlyjax - Yep, Kudos for going to be a little hungry. It amazes me how easy that is despite my thinking that it's the worst thing in the world to do.

ennay - Your cold dinner sounds great to me. Kudos for working out a solution for bar snacks. Ouch for that BC smoke.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 2 What Really Makes You Eat

From Trigger to Eating

This inner argument between your sabotaging and helpful thoughts can make you feel tense. The tension is unpleasant. Often, you'll try to alleviate that tension by deciding to eat. But before you eat, take note: Interestingly, what usually happens is that you find your tension abating as you reach for the food - before you put it in your mouth. However, just as the decision to eat can reduce tension, the decision not to eat can also reduce tension.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 30.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #26  
Enjoying la bella vita

Happy Friday, all! Yep, scale bumped up this morning, but know aside from the potatoes/salad dressing that wasn't just balsamic and dessert from last night's meal, the week has been a good one on plan with a healthy variety of foods/nutrients.

I'm struggling with ideas for gifts for my brother's birthday, things we can bring with us. Any suggestions? He has always enjoyed experiences over things and that seems to be the logical choice still ... but with his chemo and how he feels well/not-so-well certain days, locking in tickets for an event isn't the best option. I did find that their museum there has a Tapas Tuesday with live music on the patio while you watch the sunset, etc. Every week! So I was thinking about doing envelopes of experiences - to be used when desired. His chemo is on Tuesdays but he has one Tuesday off/month. I just am "stuck" for ideas. He used to enjoy nice wine, biscotti, rustic pasta, etc., but now - not as much.

Our temp is just crazy for August - high not to 70 while everyone else is roasting. In between the rain, I'll get out with our pooch for a walk. I am thinking she's older than we thought when she showed up years ago since she seems like she's really slowing down.

Bill - LOL at your 15-minute to three-hour project. Better your patience tested than mine. More Costa Rica thoughts/recaps coming? True! We saw Ring of Fire at a dinner theatre, no live Johnny.

Karen - How's the project moving along? Benefit of others doing it than you and your DH is that it doesn't sit on hold while you're working for the paying jobs! Our dog likes her crate as well; it's her safe spot but luckily we never had to crate her since she wasn't a chewing puppy when we found her. I say luckily only because I think it's harder on us worrying about it than it is on the dogs, who just kick back and snooze most of them. I used to dog sit for a friend who ran a pit bull rescue and had to go in and uncrate dogs in a certain order to ensure those out all got along (all rescues so better safe than sorry since they were only there a few weeks). Every time I'd go in, they'd be chillin' and snoozing vs. anxious to break out like I imagined - haha!

Maryann - Enjoy the college hunt with DS, and all the tours/trips as you narrow it down. Exciting planning.

CurlyJax - Keep the trip notes coming! I'm enjoying the updates and think I need to add more places to my wishlist. I have the very broad English seaside villages as a desire ...Mmmm.

Last edited by nationalparker; 08-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #27  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. Otis and I took our walk this morning in cooler 77 degrees. I'm skipping the gym today because I am just miserable from the fire ant bites I got yesterday. I thought they were not as bad as last time. I was wrong. My ankles are swollen and the bites have nasty pustules some as big as 1/2 inch across. I have used Benadryl gel and took Benadryl tablets before bed and slept on the sofa so I wouldn't keep my husband awake. I'm just going to keep an eye on them to be sure they don't get infected. I think I must be kind of allergic to them or something, because it isn't pretty. The fridge is empty all of a sudden, so shopping is something I feel like doing. It seemed like there was quite a bit of food in there and all of a sudden it looks almost empty except condiments. There is a class at the gym on Saturday that I haven't attended before now so hopefully I'll feel up to that by tomorrow.

Nationalparker The benefit of having others do our remodeling project is that it gets done. We have had walls taken down, a trench dug in the floor to move the plumbing and electrical, lots of electrical work for additional lighting and sheet rocking over all the holes they put in the wall to move A/C, electrical etc. We don't know how to do any of this. They are on schedule and hopefully the flooring won't be a hold up. Since the footprint of the kitchen has changed there are areas where more hardwood is needed before it all gets refinished. Now the part that isn't so good; it's expensive.

Bill That sounds like kind of a big job you did yesterday. Good for you for having the skills and persistence to do it.

Maryann My Mom graduated from Seattle U and my brother got his MBA there (I typed his thesis). My Dad received his Engineering degree from the University of Washington, his Dad also graduated from UW and so did I. Lots of good schools to check out, so that will be fun.

Ennay The smoke from those BC fires sounds just terrible. I remember being up there a couple of years ago when I backpacked the Wonderland Trail. The smoke from the fires in Eastern Washington was clear west at the beach. Luckily the wind shifted and blew it back the other way and the rains came and helped put out the fire. Great job on your long jog. I totally get not wanting to be out in the bad air for your exercise.

Curlyjax I am right where you are in trying some new recipes to beat the boredom. We have had some good things this week although last night ended up being leftovers. Tonight we're having Chinese General's Chicken which I made once before and we enjoyed.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #28  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Morning coaches!

credits yesterday: weighed, logged, worked - out. Was hungry yesterday and struggled a little bit.

Need to get better about measuring side dishes. Like curlyjax & karenrn I've been trying a bunch of new recipes. I've been using the recipes (not the delivery) from one of the meal delivery places. The good thing for me is that it is a complete meal because I have the habit of picking the main dish and then figuring out too late that I have no sides or forgetting to start them. The servings are big and we tend to have leftovers but not in the original ratio of meat to sides. I have the whole meal as a calorie count, but not measured out how much sides there originally were. Last night was all leftovers and I just guestimated. (ironically 1/3 of each of 3 different meals hit my dinner calorie target to the digit where none of the meals were particularly close).

BBE That is the law of DIY, it always takes 3 times longer than you plan, even if you plan for it to. What works best here is dh plans for it to take an hour and I plan for it to take 3 and then it usually only takes about 4.

ok, must stop now, I have 20 minutes to get my menu planning/shopping list together .
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.

Woke up at 9am this morning. It is very uncharacteristic of me. This is one of my last opportunities to sleep in as school starts next Wednesday. The only item left on my summer "to do" is loosely plan Charleston. I'll get to that today. I know I am thinking of a MIdnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Tour in Savaanah.

Yesterday's plan of "gym first " worked. I'll repeat it this morning even though I want to leave it to last. Discipline with food remains illusive despite my resolve. I know I will drop a little starting next week. My focus this weekend then will be on healthy stuff and exercise. Weight dropped two tenths.

KarenRN: do both Seattle and UW have the college atmospheres we hope for DS? Some of the colleges here have become impersonal cities.

Last edited by maryann; 08-04-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #30  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Coaches, I have been getting out early walking because of the heat. Then I am just super busy. Food has been on plan. I saw the dietician yesterday and she agrees with the Dr that I should maintain my weight for now. She doesn't want me to be a scale watcher. She gave me some talk about it controlling me and asked me to give her 12 weeks her way. She also told me any way I was eating previously to stop and make sure I eat a protein, a fruit or vegetable and a starch at every meal. I did this today and felt full all day. I am not sure how I feel about not weighing in. She also said there are so many myths about eating /dieting. I am not sure I feel comfortable with her way.

Bill- You are very patient with a 15 minute job turning into 3 hours. I think I would have been inclined to call someone. How fun with your DGD talking nonstop.

Maryann - Wow school starts early there. Here our kids start back in September. My youngest DS will graduate high school in 2019. He too wants to take Engineering and we did his post secondary visits last summer. He has narrowed it down to three Universities in Canada. Some of my friends thought we did it too soon but he wanted to go visit the schools so I thought why not. That is great you are combining NBA venue visits with school visits. It sounds like fun.

Curlyjax - Great job not having sweets. I find when I come back from vacation I seem to find it difficult to get back on track.

Karen - Those fire ant bites sound awful. I don't think I ever seen a fire ant. I hope you feel better soon.

Nationalparker - The Tapas Tuesdays with live music sounds wonderful while watching the sunset. It makes me daydream. Good luck picking a gift for your brother.

Ennay - I hope today was a better day and you did not struggle. Do you meal plan for the week? I meal plan daily but the dietician thought that is more work. She suggested I meal plan weekly or monthly. I think I might try to make a standard grocery list and that may make it easier.

Hello to everyone else and have a great evening.

Ann
Closed Thread