Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - King John seals Magna Carta (1215, Runnymede on the Thames )

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chase the DGD day, CREDIT moi. Resistance exercise came from lifting her up into the swing, taking her down, and lifting her up again. Apparently, going up and down is even more fun than swinging back and forth. It was warm enough that she was given a plastic container in the back yard to splash in. Wasn't long before DW accepted that the pants had to go. Then the shirt. Then the diaper - and a fully exuberant young lady and the water did their thing. Part of the fun is having two adults in attendance because if you insist on standing up when there is a stone patio around, they're fully convinced that you're only a split second away from throwing your head onto stone. A good day.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. DW was mortified that, in order to rush out to her evening gardening meeting, she had to serve the other half of the grilled salmon from last night. It's her thing to NEVER serve the same dinner on consecutive evenings. I, on the other hand, love grilled salmon so much it could be dinner every night. After she left, I dawdled away just enjoying the evening light. Pleasant moments should be savored.

onebyone – The glaciers left lots of kettle lakes around here - what a fun place you've chosen to explore with your sister. Kudos for reaching through the angst to land on "No progress without effort."

silverbirch – Neat that you can already enjoy the benefits of improving your environment.

nationalparker – Always Kudos for an OP day. Congrats for continued diligence toward retirement.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats to your trainer Otis for keeping you going in his gym class. Sounds like you're moving forward with the kitchen project.

curlyjax - Yay for driving old cars with many miles - my favorite thing for many years. Kudos for planning your snacks for the bus ride.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 1 The Key to Success

How Cognitive Therapy Works

Cognitive Therapy helps you solve both practical and psychological problems and learn new thinking and behavioral skills - skills you'll be able to use for the rest of your life. You'll not only overcome your current problems, but also learn how to use your new skills to overcome future problems.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Where is Lexxus when I need her? As a Father's Day gift to DH, I have decided to try and replace the flush valve. I actually made it through half way. Tank is on the floor( who knew they came apart?) off to store for new bolts and chain. I am very nervous. Totally out of my wheelhouse. But this is who I want to be - always reaching and growing. This is the antidote for age which has stolen some of things I use to rely on like stamina, looks and strength. As with my food, I must constantly tell myself I can do it even if I am a complete novice.

Curleyjax: I used a travel vest and was very happy with it in Ireland. No bag at all

Last edited by maryann; 06-15-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #78  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food was off plan yesterday. I had an additional turkey Italian sausage and a cup of yogurt. I felt a bit hungry and it's probably because my body was about to release a little weight. I didn't want to get on the scale this morning but darn if I'm not just the same. So, I am vowing to be very careful these next two days. I did try on a pair of size 6 silk capris that I've had for a long time and they zip. Too tight across the abdomen to wear, but I do know my shape is changing.

This morning, Otis and I took our walk and I'll go to yoga in a bit. I packed all the china and Christmas dishes that were in a side board type thing I have in the living room (separate from the one in the family room). I realized yesterday that dh would be no help in deciding what to get rid of. He sarcastically said, "why don't you just sell all the china and dishes we don't use?" What he doesn't realize is that it wouldn't be that difficult for me to be rid of them although I wouldn't sell them. I already tried to give the Christmas dishes away to my niece, but she didn't have room for them. I have a closet with shelves in the hall and I was able to put most of the dishes in it and there is room for more. This end of the house will be sealed off, and in addition I put them in plastic bags. Much easier than packing them in boxes and toting them around.

Maryann Good luck with your project. Remember YouTube videos if you get stuck. They have a wealth of information.

Bill It sounds like it's a good thing there are two adults to protect DGD head. That girl has energy. I'm so lucky, dh will eat the same thing two days in a row if he likes it and I don't mind it either. We are in the process of eating all the freezer and cupboards down to the bone. I'm afraid there are some grains that will be going in the trash. I guess we just don't eat much of them and don't think that will change.

Silverbirch I'm glad you're making headway on your environment. Mine will be looking pretty empty soon. I seem to use the computer for my break between tasks, in fact I am now.

Nationalparker It always feels good to have an on plan day, doesn't it. I shall have one today.

Well, time to train Otis. Have a great day everybody.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #79  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

On plan again today - I'd say about 95%. I'm good with that. Cooked up a head of cabbage tonight, so DH will have extra this weekend. He likes it a lot. Thinking of GardnerJoy and Lexxis today - prompted by Maryann's note about where is Lexxis! Hope you're both doing well!

I head out tomorrow morning and DH will drop me to get the rental car, then I'll head over to my friend's and we'll get on the road. Want to pack a few healthy snacks and some water in a cooler. We will stop for lunch, so that'll be a good break. Will be interested to see how this trip goes - she and I are not close, just don't know each other well, but she's a very kind person, and we're both close with those we're visiting. New opportunity for friendship.

Sorry for the lack of personals here lately. This is a rough month, time-wise, and I feel guilty about not jotting notes. Off to pack and get the kitchen cleaned up and dishes done.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:59 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Bloomsday (1904, Dublin)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner on the patio was lentils, CREDIT moi - an on plan day even though I ate the planned snacks. Was even a vegetarian day, a periodic gift to my heart. It's my contradiction: I plan the snacks hoping that I won't take them so I win either way. The duplicity isn't a problem since I don't tell anybody.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included dropping off six items at the library and bringing home none. The books beside my reading chair are currently in stacks and boxes. Kids' books have become stacked on top of the stacks so that I'm a bit puzzled about what to do next. At this moment, only one book that I'm currently reading is easily accessible. Lack of organization with the books in my life follows me like a needy dog.

maryann - Replacing the flush valve in a water closet is a great homeowner task. Hope you survived. I hear you about age stealing some things.

nationalparker – Bon Voyage on your road trip today. Kudos for planning and packing your travel food.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for "I do know my shape is changing." What you need is the old-fashioned butler's pantry where he would keep all the dishes - along with all the silver serving platters and giant soup tureens. (Hard to disguise that I miss Downton Abbey.)

Readers -
Quote:

Are You Like Sue?

For more than 20 years, I've used Cognitive Therapy to help many people resolve many different problems, including struggling to lose weight. Sue is typical of these dieters. Before Sue came to treatment, she'd tried many diets, off and on, ever since high school, only to become mired in a familiar cycle: During the first few weeks or months of each diet, she'd confidently lose weight and feel in control; eventually, however, something would make her stray.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 21.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #81  

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. So far Otis and I have had a nice walk on a day that is probably cooler than those in the near future will be. After I got home I had breakfast and thought about what I would get done today besides the gym at 9. I decided to clear out a whole lot of books to make room in the bookshelf for the books I really use at least a little, cookbooks and hiking books. I had so many books left over from my parents. When they first died, I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. The whole back end of my car is full of books to donate. I saved a few that are still pertinent, like birding books (I imagine we still have the same birds).

Bill You're right, a butler's pantry would be perfect. I could probably get rid of 75% of the dishes though and still be fine. How do you or your wife fix the lentils?

Nationalparker I must have missed something, but where is it that you are going? A girlfriends trip? Have a great time and I do hope it's a fun trip and not work related.

I am missing Gardener Joy and Lexxis too!

Maryann How did your project go?

Waving to curlyjax and Silverbirch. I guess I'll do a little dog training so he can be a little more tired by the time I go to the gym. I wish we all had his energy!
Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #82  

Good Morning,Coaches.

Well, the project was a successful failure. Successful in all that I learned over four and a half hours, several trips to the home store, and some youtube videos. I ended up just about replacing everything that could be replaced but I did not have the strength to tighten the water line. Plumber is coming this morning which I found out is just as well since it wasn't flushing properly DH told me.(I never use that bathroom.) I told DH his real present was the understanding I gained about why he gripes so much about people who think "working" is spending a day online at Starbucks. Work, to him, is having a physical task ( like watering the trees or fixing a toilet.) Theoretical jibjabber doesn't cut it. And I guess he is right in a sense. In a zombie apocalypse I will definitely be expendable. He and his brother (the hunter/mechanic) will be kings.

Good news is that while engrossed in this overwhelming task (I took the tank and bowl apart twice which is something because I didn't know they came apart), I kept to my plan of tracking sugar for a whole day. Enough is enough. I am using a knock off Weight Watchers app called iTrackbites. WW is all about no sugar now so I thought it would be a helpful gauge. I plan for the same today. I have already done a pilate/stretches and plan for a gym run.

KarenRN: I decided to cut WAYYYYY back on extra dishes that hung around for company that never came. I donated doubles of everything as well as pots I never used. Now when I open the cabinets there are just a few well loved workhorses. In the spirit of getting ready for a garage clean up I donated some ceramics from my grandfather that had never been used in the 25 years I had them. Tme for them to be of use in someone's house. I donated a 25 year old paper cutter. There is one next to my classroom that is new so why store a rusty version. Also to go were a couple of pictures I had meant to hang in my bathroom that were leaning against my bedroom wall for three years. OK. I guess they are not just that important. Freedom for me is less even though we have a ton of space between the ranch office, the house in Tahoe and our home here.

nationalparker: Good Luck on your trip.
BBE: I can't believe i am saying this but i am evolving to a kindle. I never thought it would happen but the travel and then the eyesight benefits (late at night I need a bigger font) has made me willing. Image all your books on one small device.

Last edited by maryann; 06-16-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Hello Beck friends. After a long time away, I'm peeking in the window and delighted to see all the familiar faces here. It's been a long time. 3FC says my last login was April 2016. And it's evident in my (lack of) progress. Well, my intention today is to rejoin you all. I have been on a plateau of +18 over goal for a couple months after a slow upcreep. None of my half-hearted efforts at "doing a little better" are working. (Duh) Time to pull out pink Beck and start at day 1. So... thanks for being here, and I'll be checking back in tomorrow on Day 1.
Happy Friday to all.
-Ani
Old 06-17-2017, 05:54 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - The Statue of Liberty arrives (1885, New York)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan until dinner. We took out of town guests to dinner at a fish restaurant that served HUGE portions. I chose not to leave any fresh fish on my plate. Maybe it wasn't that caloric, but it was almost double what we would have served at home. I turned down the appetizer of clam chowder and made my sides seaweed salad and green salad even though I had to pay extra because I didn't order the fried onion rings or French fries. I do better when I can nobly leave behind pasta or potatoes; fish is just hard for me to see discarded.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the bank to get cash. The world seems less and less interested in cash; mostly putting down a credit card makes everyone happy. It's the season to buy too many blueberries - which I did. I'll now go downstairs and consume too many blueberries with my breakfast. I do love summer's fresh fruits.

maryann - Yep, "In a zombie apocalypse I will definitely be expendable" - not sure that's a bad thing, LOL. Kudos for working the flush valve as far as you were able. I, too, have had difficulty with the final connection to the water supply after replacing a toilet or a flush valve.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for gathering a trunk full of books to donate. LOL at "I wish we all had his energy!"

Ani (dailypractice) - Most of us currently posting were here a year ago, so you're a familiar face. Starting the Pink Book is right in sync with the daily quote for Readers - reviewing the basics is a great idea.

Readers -
Quote:

Are You Like Sue?

The reasons varied. One day her boss asked her to work late, which, she said, "caused" her to pick up a pizza on the way home. Another time, after an argument with her husband, she was upset and "found" herself eating a pint of chocolate ice cream. Yet another time she "lost control" at a holiday party while at a buffet table covered with one tempting dish after another.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 22.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #85  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

The first day of our trip went great! The drive, 7.5 hours, seemed not too long and we chatted the entire time. I'd not spent much time with this friend and I'm getting to know her more. We stopped at McD for bathroom, bags of ice (that one didn't sell them, phooey - ours has signs outside telling you to buy a bay for $1, so that turned into another stop), but also decided on an early lunch. I'd not eaten a meal at McD in years - maybe 10? So I'm the one person who had to read their menu and the woman nearly rolled her eyes waiting for me to decide. Options were limited since I didn't want beef and chose the artisan grilled chicken. I'm not sure on the artisan labeling since it tasted no different than a grilled chicken sandwich but the mayo goop dropped onto my fave capris. Needless to say I showed up looking liked I'd been on the road for a few days, not hours. Credit: I bought a separate small order of fries after I saw others munching on their fries, but then realized that was NOT a $1.50 well spent since I'd be eating off plan here anyway as a guest. Ate one, rolled up the bag with the fries and put it away. No need. Our first night did include a homemade sheet cake and a scoop of ice cream they'd prepared and decorated for us. They're fun hosts. They've been in a three-year process of redoing the home they purchased, restoring it to the Craftsman style and it's unbelievable. Another example to me of steady, focused work on a goal... and the end result of each detailed project is amazing.

Side note is that a stray (?) cat came up on the porch when we were sitting out and I'm in love. This cat is everything mine are not - it wants to be held, purrs in your arms and doesn't always look to jump down, settled in like a loaf - you know when they fold paws up. I was in love. If we didn't have the one aggressive cat, I'd really think about checking for a microchip and taking her home. She's bone thin, but our friends said several neighbors are feeding her. I struggled with it later in the evening because she jumped up into the window and meowed for attention. It stormed during the night and I woke up thinking I hope she's sheltering here. Then I realized this street is ALL homes with HUGE front porches and plenty of places to find shelter. Enough of that.

Scale was up a pound from ticker yesterday morning, so need to adjust. At least it came down from the shocking number after our trip. But still ... I need to make steady downward progress. Did cut and bring carrot sticks for some snacking on the road, and we enjoyed those.

Ani - Great to see you back here - I was wondering if you'd make your cross-country journey yet this summer. Looking forward to your checkins.

Maryann - BOY, the first thing I was thinking was, "Oh! I wish I'd known Maryann and lived closer to buy dishes from her in her purge! Then realized I've plenty. That is a treat of mine to set my table different many days and thoroughly enjoy it. Other things I've culled down but the dishes remain ... holiday ones as well. DH makes a point of telling me he'll just use paper plates while I'm away so no dishes. So I thought, I'll buy him some nice summer bbq paper plates. HA. Will be interesting to see what I do cull as I'm packing up for us to do the flooring, once we actually FIND the flooring. I'm not packing early.

Karen - I saw you're to get even hotter temps in the coming days/weeks. I can't imagine. I've visited Arizona in the summer several times but never was hiking. Always was just sight-seeing and then back in AC. I remember everyone talking about the dry heat and I kept slathering on the lotion. I can see why those who have the $$ have a summer home somewhere cooler. My friend and I drove to a common friend's home in Missouri, about an hour from Arkansas. He is a docent at a museum about an hour and a half away some days he's not restoring their home, so we'll tour that tomorrow. Those donated books will bring a lot of folks some enjoyment!

Bill - Sounds like a fun evening and great choices you made! I agree with you on cash, too. My brother has long been a cash person, with the exception of credit card at a restaurant or for a big purchase. I used to joke with him that come a hurricane, he'll be the one person who can purchase stuff. So we set aside extra emergency cash in our safe for a weather disaster in case there is ever a point of no elec transactions and folks are still willing to do business Does that sound weird? We joke that it'd be going back to the 40s.

SilverBirch - I hope your week ended up well - you seem to be making incremental changes in environment and choices - credit! I love hearing that because it's resonating with me that I don't have to tackle all of everything at once. I told DH that with just two days home between trips, I won't have time to really get him set up like I usually do. He was fine. I might just touch base tomorrow and tell him, if you want your favorite soup, make sure the items are in the fridge and I'll make that (the ingredients I don't have on hand are leeks and turkey italian sausage). But that puts part of the responsibility on him on the weekend when he does have the time to make a marketing stop. Thank you for that nudge.

CurlyJax - Now I can't remember if it was this weekend you were heading out - hope it goes well, if it was. A generous gift of the older vehicle and that speaks of how your family regards you/yours. Nice! I don't have a favorite type of travel bag, but if you go on the ricksteves.com website to the graffiti wall and scan that, I think you'll find suggestions ... or search ricksteves.com for it... I found all sorts of good stuff on there, and then spent a lot of time reading about other good stuff I'd never use haha.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #86  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was unbelievably productive and unfortunately expensive. Plumber came and I discovered I had added an $150 extra to the project by stripping the intake system. It had to be replaced. Total ticket= $450. Wow!!!!!! Oh well. While he was here I was so cranky I did the three worse chores on my list. I hate having strangers in the house so I couldn't relax anyway. I cleaned the garage, completely emptied and reorganized the pantry and food cabinets; and cleared the cobwebs off the front door entryway. Good. That is done. Moving on.

This morning, I am making a menu to use up odd ball items found in pantry. I started by denying myself a Nespresso in order to use up a pound of Starbuck's Christmas beans.This will help offset the cost of the plumbing. Pantry and closet challenges are the most fun for me in the summer when I have time to putter. It is very relaxing. Along those thriftylines, I redeemed all of DS itune gift cards and have a total of $86.00 to spend. It will probably go to audiobooks for our numerous travels this summer. Another trip to donate at Goodwill.

So all in all yesterday was a big success. One more day tracking sugar in ITrackBites app, Pilates, and the scale is down to just one pound over ticker. I also ordered more protein powder for green smoothies. Today will be another OP plan and bike at the gym. Temp way above 100.

BBE: Now you know how much you save being a DIY person. Tell your wife to appreciate you.

nationalparker: Good for you for keeping in touch on vaca.

Welcome Back, Ani. I have been here the whole time and still have the weight creep. Maintenance is daily practice of intention. Being here makes that easier for me.

Last edited by maryann; 06-17-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #87  

Good morning coaches,

Food on plan. Exercise was walking Otis at 5 this morning and then squishing fire ants. We sat down on our usual bench so I could give Otis a small bowl of water. All of a sudden I felt these little stings on my ankles and looked down to see many tiny little ants all over my shoes and socks. I had to get up and get to the concrete and then remove my socks and shoes and squish the ants, all the while ensuring I didn't let loose of the leash. I walked down the cement path and then up the hill to the neighborhood and called dh to come and get us. When I was a kid I could run down the sharp rock alley in bare feet and not notice. I wasn't sure my feet would take six blocks on the sidewalk without shoes. I think they probably would have, but didn't have to. Once we got home I put Otis's legs under the water in the sink to be sure there were no ants on him. I didn't see any and he hasn't acted like there were.

After that I showered and went to my Weight Watchers meeting. I decided on the walk that I was going to raise my goal so that I was under it. I did that and low and behold I had hit it months ago. So they deemed me at goal and finished with maintenance, so I am now a Lifetime member. I just figured what I am doing is maintenance and I don't feel like I want to lower calories or change foods to get lower only to find that weight unmaintainable. It could be once the weather is cooler in 4 months, I will do more hiking again and lose. In the meantime, I will keep doing what I am doing.

Nationalparker Sounds like a good trip. Aren't the descriptions of food by the fast food restaurants funny. I think I can count on one or at most two hands how many times I've had fast food in the last 10 or 12 years. Luckily dh doesn't like it either. Truth be told, I don't mind it so much, but the calories are usually so high. So glad to hear scale is very near ticker. The big jumps up are scary to look at but luckily don't usually last.

Bill I rarely have much cash, but dh has been taking the same $60 a week out of the bank for years as his allowance. I'm not sure what he spends it on and I think it's funny that he always takes the same amount and it hasn't increased over the years. We usually keep a small stash hidden in case of an emergency too. The fruit is so good right now that I really got more than enough yesterday including strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe and Cotton Candy grapes. I had never had the grapes before and I'm not a big grape eater, but people were raving about them on a FB site I'm on. They're okay, but the container is so large I'm sure some of them will end up in the garbage.

Ani Nice to see you again. Are you in Florida or have you returned to Washington for the summer? You may recall that I am from Washington (lived there for 50 years). My friends and family who still live there really complained of the weather this year, but it sounds pretty nice now. Good luck on getting back to it with the weight loss mode. My biggest news is that my hiking and traveling has diminished because of the addition of our pup, Otis, who we got in early December when he was 2 months old. I promised dh this would be the year of the pup, so my longer day hikes and trips have taken a back seat to him. We just love him and once he's a little older I'll get back to what is a more normal life for me. In the meantime, I'm doing more gym time, walking and training him.

Maryann I think we are cut from the same cloth as far as getting rid of things. I'm debating about the dishes so far though. I have some china from the great Aunt Ellen that is Wedgewood, some Limoge from Grandma Larsen, and my own Wedgewood as well as the Christmas dishes. I'm thinking Aunt Ellen's Wedgewood is going to go and mine and Grandma's goes together because they are both white with a gold trim.

That's it from me for today. I need to get online and stop my WW dues since I am free now if I keep my weight in check. Have a great Saturday everybody!

Last edited by karenrn; 06-17-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Smile

Thanks much to everyone for the warm welcome. Truly warms my heart. And what a perfect time for me to be restarting, what with the daily readings being from Chapter 1 of the Pink book. Perfect! Thanks, Bill for posting those.

And thanks to those who asked: We HAVE completed the semi-annual cross country trip, arriving in WA late May, the trip starting later and taking longer than usual due to THREE mechanical issues on our 2000 Astro Van… sorry Astro… no more trips for you. And yes, Karen, I recall your connection to the beautiful state of WA.

In my post yesterday, I’d reported a +18 plateau. Well, strike that. As of this morning, make that +19. Grrr. That I believe is an all time high for me. So, I’ve set a goal of losing 1 pound a week, so … 19 weeks. But that won’t happen if I stay in lahdeedah mode.

But from past experience, I know I can do this. And the time is now. To restart my “daily practice”

Today, I re-wrote the advantages afresh. And I inventoried the kitchen. Unfortunately I have stashed: spice drops, potato chips, Cheezits and graham crackers. (See what I mean about recent lahdeedah). I don’t know what to do. My thrifty nature makes me hate to throw it away. I did toss the spice drops. Woo Hoo. In the garage can. Gone. I will track carefully what happens to the other items. The first time they cause me grief or cause a slip, I’ll re-plan. Eventually, my bf will eat those items… but … hmmm… any tips appreciated!!!!!

One additional new challenge to conquer… And I’m already seeing some ideas from you all. My 13 year old pooch can no longer walk distances, thus I don’t either. She’s always been my personal trainer, and I’ve not had to incorporate any cardio habits without her. But I see Karen has a similar issue with a pup. And MaryAnn writes about pilates, bike and gym. And Bill walking to the bank inspires me to drive into town, park and walk…sounds like fun and something I’ve not done.

Have a great rest of the weekend… and the best to each of you.

Ani
Old 06-18-2017, 02:18 AM   #89  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Sunday

Quick note from phone. On road to my mum's for a week so may be offline.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Father's Day (1910, Spokane, Wa.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked all day, CREDIT moi, counted as over 15,000 steps by the smartphone app of the friends who I was taking around the sights of Boston and surrounds. It's fun to see one's own city afresh as a tour guide. In historic Faneuil Hall area where I'd hoped to impress the teenage guest with the profound history of the American Revolution, her interest was captured by a street performer getting himself tied up, lifted upside down under a fifteen foot tripod, and escaping from rope and a straight-jacket. She'll remember that longer than she'll remember the somber halls of Harvard University, MIT, and the tech giants with offices and window displays of genetic research. I should tour more often without needing the prompt.

Eating wasn't good. At Mr. Bartley's Burgers the political sarcasm on the menu was a big hit (warning, the menu will offend some folks regardless of political persuasion). And the burger was sized for the college aged crowd that filled every table. I got my beef hit for the month for sure. Pistachio Gelato appeared near the North End of Boston. Finally dinner was at a Thai fast food place where I could share a bunch of my order and then leave most of the brown rice. At least breakfast was normal since that happened in the privacy of my own kitchen.

silverbirch – Waving back toward your mum's - wherever that may be. We also celebrate today that in 1928 Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean flying from Newfoundland to Wales. Hope you have an appropriate marker.

maryann - Kudos for your accepting attitude about the cost of the plumber. I've had to have a plumber finish something that I couldn't do - not fun. Yay for the windfall from your DS's iTune gift cards.

nationalparker – 7.5 hours is a VERY long drive - Kudos for surviving that. And Super Kudos for ditching the McDonald's fries.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch, Ouch, Ouch for those fire ants. Congrats for reaching Weight Watcher's Lifetime membership. Doesn't that mean that you no longer have to pay?

Ani (dailypractice) - That Chevy Astro Van seems to be loved by everyone that's ever owned one. Ouch that it's feeling its age - although overdue since it's been running for 18+ years. Kudos for rewriting the advantages afresh to give yourself the best chance for success.

Readers -
Quote:

Are You Like Sue?

Whenever Sue gave herself an excuse to deviate from her diet, her resolve quickly diminished. She'd continue to eat out of control. Then she'd feel like a failure, decide she'd never be able to lose weight, and give up entirely, eventually gaining back all the weight she'd lost - and sometimes more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 22.
Closed Thread