Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #91  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Early check in to post my intention (whether I meet it or not remains to be seen) for the day ... but they have brought in a beautiful assortment of freshly baked muffins and cookies, another huge bowl of fruit that just doesn't call to me, so I'll see if the breakfast options include any berries, etc. I ate dinner at 11 p.m. - a leftover salad from someone else's dinner and two breadsticks that were passable at best. I SHOULD have just made an almond butter sandwich with my ezekiel bread and raw almond butter that I hauled up here, but have had that a few times in the past two days. So I dipped my breadstick in the almond butter. I'm fine with the fat/protein of that, just not the wheat/sugar I'm sure in the stick. Put on my new 10 pants and fully expected them to be too tight, but they fit. I must've bought them when bloated.

Morning started at 4 a.m. up and will be another full day.

OneByOne - GREAT JOB at putting back the bags of chips. That is a committed choice. I'll be thinking of that with some of the temptation here today, and hope I choose well.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:12 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

So good to read everybody's posts.

OneByOne: Congrats on 20 pounds down? (Did i read the conversion correctly?) In any case, down is down. I bet that feels great.
curleyjax: you get to be sad, mad, cranky hopeless and then hopeful. Anyone would in your family's situation.
BBE: Don't get me started on childrearing.
KarenRN: How exciting to start a new exercise class. I started back on the elliptical. I haven't done it since my nerve damage stuff two years ago. 20 minutes went fine. In two weeks when school ends I am going to sketch out serious training schedule.
silverbirch: I read a quote yesterday that made me think of your neighbor situation. "Our enemies can be our greatest teachers." I love that. Irritating and scary parents and students are around for me to learn a few more lessons about finding peace from within.
Lexxus: I always appreciate you popping in. i know you will appreciate that I have begun planning for my 30 year sobriety bday on October 1. I am going to rent a house in Charleston and invite the ladies that saved my life 30 years ago by staying with me as I went from the psych ward to AA meetings. They knew me when.

Nationalparker: What keeps resonating for me in your posts is the frustration with society's 's ADDICTION to wheat. It almost always seems to be the most readily available snack item. Why not a bowl of nuts, dried fruit, granola, fresh cut veggies, even dark chocolate? As a teacher I can tell you that teacher appreciation day is all about baked goods. I know I am oversensitive to the issue because i am staying away from wheat. The bottomline is even when I am undisciplined (like right now), I can still be at ticker if I stay away from wheat and cut almost entirely back on dairy. Wheat makes me hungry. Period. I like to eat wheat standing up. Period. Knowing these two things about myself is vital. I have been leaning on nuts, dried fruit, roasted veggies, and chocolate. I have been struggling to get in two green meals a day but I have succeeded in remaining sweet free at work. What a blessing.

What a week!!! My son has had three orchestra performances. One was an award ceremony where he won freshman of the year. One was a concert in which he had a solo and one ( a "fiesta night") in which he played and sang a spanish song. One cute parent came up to us and said, "What next? a tap dance?" Then the next day, he ran in the state sectionals for 3200 meter. As a freshman, we knew he would be slaughtered, but his goal was to not be last and to beat 11:00. Lap 6 he approached an older kid who had given up. He set his sites and made a huge surge. We were screaming our heads off which was funny because the race had ended a minute before He did it - he came in second to last and 10:56. We were crying and the crowd joined in. So fun.

I am making lists of things I will do in summer. I make a short list of what I can do today. Taught DS to make some brownies. Let him lick the spoon and made a commitment to NOT cut them until the party on Sunday. It is little tricks like this that keep me maintaining.

Best, Mary Ann

Last edited by maryann; 05-20-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #93  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Dh is doing his 20 minutes of dog training, so I am hiding out in the office and getting my post in. I did my training this morning and then hiked with Suzanne. I will come clean and say I skipped my WW meeting. We went out to happy hour last evening with a friend who we don't see often, partly cause we choose not to see her too often, but it was time to get together. I kind of just decided to order whatever I wanted and it was not low in calories or sodium. I could have done a quick weigh in before hiking today, but I chose not to knowing it was going to be slightly up. So, I'm back on track, good hike and then walked Otis when I got home.

This afternoon we went in the pool and dh told me he is giving up or severely cutting back on cheese. I think that is a good thing to share before I buy a large package at Costco, but oh well. I'm glad he's doing it. He is really eating healthy, even the meals he does for himself, like breakfast and lunch. He's also going to set up one of the spare bedrooms for some stretching, his golf swing trainer and planks. I'm glad he is motivated to do some core strengthening. It helps me to know he's working too.

Maryann Sounds like you have had a busy week and I bet your son will be ready for a break too. I do love my new exercise class. Well I guess it's not quite a love/hate relationship . . but it is hard, so it has got to help.

Bill The Cracker Jacks sound so good. I love them and I love Caramel Corn. My grandparents used to bring Caramel corn over very frequently. The play sounds really good. I love most anything with music and dancing.

Silverbirch I hope the problem with the neighbors is over soon. What a stressor.

Onebyone Good job on the weight loss and the decluttering. And super good job putting the potato chips back. When I do things like that I really do feel I'm strengthening my resistance muscle, don't you?

Nationalparker Boy an early day for you. How many hours will you be putting in?

I guess I'll go check on my boys, I heard the "Break" and "Otis, you're such a good boy!", so I know they're finished.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:19 AM   #94  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - “Maybellene” recorded (1955, Chuck Berry)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked with the DGD at a fair type event where she got to examine a turtle and a frog - both just the right size for a 20 month old. It was hardly aerobic since talking to people was part of the fun and because a toddler doesn't move very fast when there are things to pick up.

Lunch came from handouts at the fair and then finished off at home. Total calories weren't that bad, but composition wasn't that nutritious. I did pass on a bowl of chocolates being offered - CREDIT moi for that one act. Events plus the DGD squeezed any rational notion of an eating time. Even worse, I had a meeting in the late afternoon where food sat in front of me for two hours. I had brownies because I was bored. I need to remember that food doesn't make boredom go away.

maryann - Congrats for surviving such a busy week. Kudos to your DS for making a realistic goal for the track meet with a sane awareness that he wasn't going to win. Thanks for the tip that uncut brownies can't be nibbled ahead of their scheduled debut.

nationalparker – Yay for pants that remind you that you're doing well with your eating plan. Your event work sounds so grueling; I hope your colleagues are supportive so you're not alone doing this.

Karen (karenrn) - Sounds like serious exercising is planned around your place. I do like the notion that being surrounded by healthy people tends to motivate us toward healthy.

Readers -
Quote:
Conclusion Stay Free of Traps - for Life

Using Escape Plans for Life's Varied Traps

As you've seen from the experiences of dieters in this chapter, you can apply many of the skills in this book to other goals that are important to you. Do you want to enhance your work life? Home life? Health? Finances? Improve your family relationships? Strengthen your friendships or cultivate new friends? How about exploring your creative or intellectual or spiritual side? Might you have a goal to enrich your leisure time or to contribute to your community or to society?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 229
Old 05-21-2017, 08:14 AM   #95  
Enjoying la bella vita

I think the mornings while things are getting rolling here may be the best check-in time. I set my intention yesterday, but the day still wasn't a full success. We lost a day due to weather, but still ended up working nine hours to start the day and then another two in the evening before falling asleep soundly. I chose a large salad for lunch and then ... since I was able to be on my own, I chose the pizza spot that everyone has been raving about for a few days. I wavered between pizza (and then the oh, so handy leftovers which I love) and a small calzone. Went calzone route and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't a huge thing. It was a reasonable portion for one hungry person and the cheese wasn't flowing out like crazy. I might just be rationalizing things, but ... it satisfied and now that's out of my mind. Today started with my ezekiel bread and raw almond butter and feel like I made a good choice. Fingers crossed I can follow through with the freshly baked muffins about 6' from me on the snack table and the cookies that they'll be dropping off here soon. I looked closely at the cookies yesterday and then No Choice. that's a rare call here on my part, so I had to report that one time i did it. HA. I feel like I'm just going to go home a chunk heavier.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- yesterday was very busy with getting ready for the prom. I was zipping around doing stuff for that as well as the “man” chores like going to the dump and trying to figure out why the lawn mower wasn’t working. DS helped with those things fortunately DH was able to help trouble shoot as well and sat outside for a bit in the beautiful sunshine, which helped his spirits I think.
Lots of pre prom drama as the thing now is to go take photos with lots of other kids at someones house, all posed as if they are bridesmaids. It is really over the top. Then some kids drive to other houses for MORE photos. Then there is the getting there and back, and the after prom party etc.
So I’m exhausted today with very little sleep- but she had a good time, and now its over. I did get to hang out with a friend last night for a few hours, who has mutual feelings about all this, so that was great.
I’ve been eating way too much junk - back to planning some better meals.
Great to read all of your posts. Thinking of you all!
Old 05-22-2017, 12:09 AM   #97  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Short note

Coaches

Just wanted to (phone) check-in before sleep.
I stayed on plan until I had a wobble around 9pm. I went to the fridge, took out coldcuts, and just ate some slices with a piece of cheese. I wasn't hungry. I just wanted to eat. I got anxious while thinking about finishing up a certain project. It sent me to the fridge. Happily, this rarely happens now. I will remind myself of that and take credit for the rarity of this but will chalk it up to a warning to stay ever vigilant.

I was not hungry at supper but ate my planned meal anyway. We are told not to eat if we are not hungry. To wait until we are. I knew I wasn't hungry but didn't want the food to go bad and didn't want to freeze it so that meant cooking it and I couldn't just leave it for tomorrow, I had to eat it. I need a strategy for this. That was not the best solution.

Ok bedtime. G'night.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-22-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #98  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Lewis And Clark Expedition begins (1804, from St. Charles, Missouri)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Started the day with an early bird walk, CREDIT moi. The expected migrants were there for us to observe. Several first time folks got excited and that made the day special.

We had another session with the DGD for a few hours in the afternoon so her mother could run some errands. My delight was hearing her correctly say "this one" while pointing to a nearby car followed by "that one" while pointing to a distant car. How does such a little human grasp the English use of 'this' and 'that?' I continue to experience grandfather awe - an unexpectedly wonderful gift in life.

onebyone – I do know about "just wanted to eat" quite separate from any need for fuel. It's not always convenient to wait until we're hungry. Planned food isn't always available where we are when that happens.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for "No Choice" to those cookies sitting only six feet away. Finding a reasonably sized calzone is indeed a treat. Hope that one day delay doesn't extend your sentence in the gulag.

curlyjax - Congrats for surviving the prom, the pre-prom, the pre-pre-prom, and the post prom. As well as the chauffeuring about for the whole affair. Glad your DD had a good time - there are always horror stories. Kudos for "back to planning some better meals."

Readers -
Quote:

What has gotten in the way of achieving these goals up to now? Just as your diet traps locked you into negative eating patterns, similar traps may be keeping you from pursuing or achieving other goals. Think about a specific goal you'd like to set for yourself - for example, sticking to a budget. Have you had sabotaging thoughts? ("I have no self-control. If there's something I want, I just impulsively buy it.") Do you need to develop new skills? (Maybe you don't know how to budget.) Are psychological issues (such as a sense of deprivation or lack of willpower) creating obstacles?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 229
Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #99  
Enjoying la bella vita

Brief checkin again this morning. Had to open my area up around 5:45 a.m. and fingers crossed the weather holds out for us today. I'm feeling a bit punch drunk and not fully alert but coming into the three busiest days of the event. The end, late Wednesday night, is in sight. I'm hopeful all will go well, but nervous about the number of things that can derail. But I'm a worrier with this anyway.

Ended up with my Ezekiel bread and raw almond butter for dinner at 10 p.m. last night, along with gala apple. I was ravenous. I can't go that long again ... my food plan maintains that you eat every few hours to keep your metabolism chugging, like you feed a fire regularly. The analogy was that when you have a fire going and then it burns out and you add a ton of wood then, it doesn't help - you need to keep it stoked up. I like that (who knows if it carries over...).

Pants still fit. Fingers crossed they do by the weekend.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #100  

Good morning coaches,

Just back from a walk with Otis. Food is on plan and was yesterday also. Scale is back down, so I'm planning on a good week. I'll be going to the gym today for my class at 9. I will be glad when it gets a little easier. It is a challenge for sure. I will let Otis have a rest for another 30 minutes and then we'll do his 20 minutes of training. I wanted to get our outdoor walk in before it gets too warm. The high is expected to be 103 today and it is 77 already.

Nationalparker How is the weather there now? I hope things run smoothly for you. Do you have some snacks with you, so you don't have to get so hungry?

Bill It sounds like you are absolutely enjoying your DGD. Hiking Suzanne has a DGD just a couple of months younger and I get to hear of her antics too. So fun. She also loves books.

Onebyone I think that frustration/anxiety/procrastination eating happens to all of us. It is a difficult habit to break. Good for you for doing better with it.

Curlyjax Glad the prom went well. I hear you about the production it is these days. And if you think the prom is bad, what about weddings? Just absolutely over the top.

Our niece and nephew are coming back for a week in November. They love it down here and we enjoy having them. So, I have a little less than six months to get stronger. Just for a reason, not that they care. My goal is to be able to really do the burpees by then and also some push-ups. Those things would be huge for me. I could probably walk across the U. S., but the upper body is not strong.

Have a great start to the week everybody!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon,

Waiting at the dentist. Boy, the kids are feeling the summer itch. It is my experience that keeping structured and pushing helps everyone. A disciplined approach helps. Where have I heard that before? This
Old 05-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #102  
Enjoying la bella vita

One of my worst work days ever, condensed into a hectic four hours ... Day started at 4 a.m. and will end here before long, hopefully. Lots of stress, errors, issues, frustrations, and i just want to put it behind me. Too busy to eat dinner. Snagged an apple now and will get a sandwich of the ezekiel bread and the almond butter when I get back to my room. Just on the go corralling people, ensuring tv gets who they need and just no time to eat until now. Two more days. I cannot WAIT for this trip to be done. I'm almost to the point of counting hours But 1) I have a job. 2) Others want my job. 3) I don't have to work another 30 years to retire. 4) I make the bad things worse in my mind - I know I relive some of the issues.

Tomorrow will be another day. Starting at 4 a.m. and another day wrapping at 11 p.m hopefully.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #103  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Royal Canadian Mounted Police founded (1873, Canada)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – A buffet lunch was served at the home of a friend. I ate one plate, sitting down, with modest servings, CREDIT moi. It did, unfortunately, end with a cookie somewhat pushed by the host. I had to seriously resist a second one, then seriously resist half of a second one. Really nice people can be food pushers, also.

Exercise was mostly running in circles with an overscheduled day. I had a makeup class held some two weeks after the semester ended, a luncheon, some writing to get done, and an evening event. Everything was by my choice but I've got to learn to spread life out a bit more.

maryann - Thanks for "A disciplined approach helps." I find it easy to get sloppy.

nationalparker – Kudos for choosing such a nutritious dinner even though it was late. I do like Gala Apples. And Kudos for gratitude that you're working even during your boot camp period.

Karen (karenrn) - Yikes! 103 degrees F is seriously hot. Neat that you've identified the return of your niece and nephew as a goal for getting in better shape.

Readers -
Quote:

Think about the skills that you've learned in this book. Here are just a few foundation strategies that could be applicable to a wide variety of challenges and goals:
Writing an advantages list for achieving your goal

Developing consistent behavioral habits

Composing and reading reminder cards for sabotaging thinking

Creating lists and scheduling what you're going to do when giving yourself credit for each step you take

Accepting discomfort

Strengthening your resistance muscle
Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #104  

Good morning coaches,

Food remains on plan. Who knows, I may even have a loss this week if I keep this up. Exercise today was a walk with Otis this morning. It was 74 when we walked at 6:15. It is expected to be 104 here today. I've got an easy day planned. The ironing is in much need of a little attention and I'm going to make Kong treats for Otis. I ordered 5 of them and did them up once before, but I need to try a different recipe. The last time I stuffed them with a peanut butter and cottage cheese mixture and it was too hard for him to get it out.

My class at the gym yesterday was challenging, but good. They change it up every time, so I like that. I think my body likes that too. I find I can squat with a barbell on my back as long as I take it from the rack and not heave it over my head. Yesterday one of the exercises was pull ups. Of course I can't do them, so I did ring rows instead. Just to think it would ever be possible to do a pull up is something else.

Bill Cookies would be very hard to pass up. I probably would have wanted and maybe had 2 or 3.

Maryann Good for you for keeping up with the structure in the classroom.

Okay, time to hit the ironing basket.

Nationalparker I sure hope today is going better than yesterday. From the sounds of things, it couldn't get much worse. I know you are your own worst critic though, so if it came to your performance I bet you did fine.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #105  
Enjoying la bella vita

Brief check-in. Light at end of tunnel - will be en route home in two more days; I leave Thursday. Busy evening ahead and another early start tomorrow.

CurlyJax - How is your DH doing this week? Hopefully he's finding pain relief and the new meds are working some magic. I will look to restart with you when I return home. I'm struggling in the ingredients more than the calories.
Closed Thread