3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Beck Diet Solution

Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #76
1.have a plan 2.follow it

S/C/G: 291/259/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up 1st hot day of 2017

Coaches

Environment Canada predicts a high of 30C feeling like 36C today. Wow. So thrilled! I will have all the windows open. Maybe I can persuade DH to buy a portable BBQ for our back porch today. It will feel like BBQ weather that's for sure.

Yesterday I moved my citrus tree, mini orange, outside. It's quite beautiful. The oranges are small and tart. I'm going to make some tea and squeeze the juice into it as a treat later on.

My weight this morning is 261 again. Never mind. That's not far from the 250's. Maybe tomorrow.

Food is planned for the day and I've checked in so time to get to work. I'm opening the first two doors in the sideboard so I can declutter in there! So exciting!

Bye for now.
onebyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #77

S/C/G: ?/139/130

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in this morning so I am sure than I do it. Food on plan. This morning I took Otis for a 50 minute walk on his new leash and collar, not the previous vest type. I did this because this is what the trainer wants us to use and honestly he did back out of the vest once and is soon to outgrow it. I will attend my first small group gym class this morning. It is hard, a combination of aerobic type things, like jumping rope, jumping up on to boxes and swinging kettle bells, with a group of weight lifting things in between. If I can just do it I know I will get stronger. It isn't going to be pretty in the beginning and it is a bit humbling. From what I hear I am doing well though, so others in the class must struggle like I do. My goal is to make it a priority for Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. I already told Suzanne that I can hike on Saturday, not Friday, so off to a good start.

Otis goes to the groomer today, so I will use that time to do the vacuuming. I've already done most of the dusting and I know there is controversy about whether to do it before or after vacuuming, but it is something I can do with Otis here and not upset. All in all I guess I'll be getting lots of activity today.

Have a good day everybody!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:56 PM   #78
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 177/152/145

Height: 5-4

Well, the past two late nights, I've written a post and apparently forgotten to hit Submit. Stress eating. Not getting enough water. Going WAY too long between meals and no snacks, which is exactly opposite of the way we're to eat on this FMD plan. Odd in that water is just not readily available and without seeing it, I am not thinking of it when running all over the place.

With eating the wheat and sugar that is in nearly everything (bread, etc.) I am going to end up substantially up but know that bloat should diminsh in the week after I'm home in eight days. Everything gets going at warp speed tomorrow through Wednesday.

Keep on keeping on!

Started the Fast Metabolism Diet mid-Aug ... Down 23 pounds and attempting to hold in 150-52 range until next push!
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:44 AM   #79
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday - Mount St. Helens erupts (1980, Washington State)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Chased DGD, CREDIT moi, for constant exercise. We took her to a different play ground that had a flow of water running into the sand. The kids mucked about making dams and causing general mayhem. Every kid has their own style of learning how sand and water work. I had to move DGD away from an older kid with a stick whose mother didn't want to intervene when he came close to hitting other kids in the eyes. Playgrounds are a great place to encounter parents laid back enough to warrant calling Child Protective Services as well as to encounter parents who can teach how to deal with kids in a loving manner.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including the potluck with our book club - lots of salads. Some dessert also, but more or less balanced. I had no snacks between meals - continuing my streak.

onebyone Yay for having your own citrus tree. Kudos for continued decluttering.

nationalparker Glad that you're surviving "warp speed." I just read about the aerialist for Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey who gets shot out of a cannon multiple times each day. Offered so you can ponder that there's a more demanding job out there. And, hard as it is, she's losing it because the circus is closing. Stay strong.

Karen (karenrn) - Gym can well be "a bit humbling." Kudos for going anyway.

Readers -
Quote:
Conclusion Stay Free of Traps - for Life

Using Escape Plans for Life's Varied Traps

Once you've mastered the first six skills and your self-discipline and self-confidence are strong, you can start to focus on when you eat, and then what you eat. To be honest, you could probably get by for a time without mastering those first foundation strategies. You have doubtless lost weight before without using them. But if you use your old methods, will you be able to sustain those results? If you want a different outcome this time - if you want to escape your personal traps for good - you need to operate differently.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 228
Following Dr. Judith Beck via 3FC's Beck Diet Solution Forum: 9 years
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #80

S/C/G: 152/147/138

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- Dh had endoscopy yesterday which thankfully showed nothing wrong, so he won't need a stent. the TPN started and he had another round of chemo Monday so hopefully that start kicking in. Its all very discouraging and I'm feeling bad for him and sorry for myself. It is WAY too hot these days, 90, but it should settle back down after today. The sun is shining . One day at a time.
curlyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #81

Good morning coaches,

I had a little more food yesterday than planned. Basically had some walnuts after dinner. I was just exhausted by the end of the day yesterday. The class at the gym was great, but then I got home and did all the floors since Otis was at the groomers. We have a lot of hardwood floors in the house and it entails vacuuming, mopping and then Bona on top of that, which is kind of like another mopping. I will say the vacuuming didn't seem to bother my back as much as it usually does. It's the vacuuming of the area rugs and bedroom carpets that is tiring. It will be good to be stronger.

Today's exercise was just a walk with Otis and after that to Costco and the grocery store. I did get the guest room back in order and have one bathroom to clean this afternoon. When I win the lotto I will definitely be getting a housekeeper again.

Curlyjax Definitely glad to hear the endoscopy was clear. I hope your dh is feeling better soon which would be such a relief to you I'm sure.

Bill Crazy how some parents are with their kids, especially with little ones around. It would be tough not to want to just say something. We have the dog owners who don't think the leash law was intended for them. Same kind of thought process I guess.

Nationalparker Thinking about you today and your warp speed day. I hope it goes well.

Well it's one of the highlights of my day . . . . lunch time.

This afternoon the dog trainer comes to start some training. I think dh and I are both a bit nervous about it. They guy is weird. I hope I don't regret this decision. I'm trying to think positive and be open minded to his suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #82

Thumbs up Thursday? Really?

Coaches

I know it's Thursday but I feel I have missed a day. I guess I didn't get as much done yesterday as I thought I would and so today I am feeling like it should be Wednesday and tomorrow Thursday. Alas, 'tis not the case.
This means that I see the clinician tomorrow at noon. Today's weight was 260. Still hoping to be below 260 for tomorrow. Luckily, I have many more hours of activity ahead of me, including some lifting and toting. I will begin the process of emptying the locker tonight after DH gets home.

Food has been good today and it was good yesterday. Really I have been on track since the weekend's feasting. This is as it should and needs to be. *credit* for staying focused.

Decluttering is going ... OK...not perfect but well enough. I have released about 24 boxes of various shapes and sizes and filled 4 garbage bags. Well, 4.5, the half one is for the bag half full of paper that Caesar the Cat has decided is the best place for him to sleep ever?! I hesitate to remove it now. I may leave it overnight since he was such a menace last night.

Today it's still hot but intense thunderstorms are predicted as the cool and the hot air meet up there in the sky. By the time I am at the farmers' market on Saturday it'll only be 14C. It's 29C right now, feeling like 33C! As soon as I send this I'm heading out to put my plants in a sheltered area (high winds are coming) and I think I'll take a break and drink my coffee out on the porch.

Better go.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #83
in development

A quick good morning. Exercising remains good. Food is improving.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 AM   #84
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Endangered Species Day (U.S. Fish and Wildlife)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including no snacking during the day. Evening snack was clementines - so juicy right now. Dinner was salmon grilled on the patio and eaten outside. Earlier would have been uncomfortable but the air was cooling about 7:00 pm. There were at least five Chimney swifts circling overhead. A Gray catbird buzzed my head to land on the bush next to the bird bath. It clearly wanted us to go away so it could splash in private.

Walk, CREDIT moi, including stopping at the drugstore to pick up a prescription for DW. To my surprise, they let me do it. All I had to do is state her birthday, home address, and phone number. Two of those are easy; and I've devoted the last forty years to trying to remember her birthday which, fortunately, I got right on the first try.

onebyone Kudos for on track since the weekend. Good luck with your plan to empty the locker.

silverbirch And good morning to you. Yay for continuing the exercising.

Karen (karenrn) - Walnuts are just the best - even if slightly more than planned. Congrats on all that floor work - specially timed so as not to disturb Prince Otis.

curlyjax - Yay for finding nothing wrong on your DH's test. Yep, 90 was just too hot yesterday. Thanks for "One day at a time."

Readers -
Quote:

Once you master the foundation strategies, start tackling the real-life problems that could throw you off track. Anticipate which traps might ensnare you (the quiz starting on page 19 can help) and review strategies to create the escape plans you will need. Don't forget that some challenging situation in your life may contain elements from several traps. For example, if you're going to visit family for a week, it may be useful to reread sections on family problems, food pushers, travel and eating out, and getting off track.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 228
Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #85
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/175/179

Hello everyone!

I wanted to say hello and let you all know I'm still working my foodplan ala Beck. My DH left for Alaska Sunday evening and I'm working very hard to get caught up with everything so I can work this Summer in my yard.

It's been a crazy 24 hours. We got 20" of snow yesterday and I was no different than many other Coloradoans' who had already switched their brains to Summer. It wasn't supposed to start snowing until 6am...rain all night. When I woke at 5 we already had 6 wet inches and it was snowing like mad. I headed out to retrieve a huge pot which was already producing salad greens. Very heavy, I got it down to the final stair by the back door and it tipped over. I quickly got a cardboard box and retrieved all the plants from the snow....got the pot inside....grabbed 2 brand new planters and took them to the greenhouse where I dug soil from a bed and brought them in to help accommodate all the displaced plants. Then I headed out to start knocking snow off my bent over lilacs and honeysuckles. (Much already broken). Then I heard the hummingbirds so I made sure their feeder was filled...and I refilled the songbird feeders. I had to go out 4 times during the day and knock off snow getting soaking wet every time. It was frustrating and very tiring yet I pulled the day off OP. Credit.

The snow seems to have passed yet there is much to melt, which is already in progress. There is a river in the middle of the street and a sea of mud. I won't really know the extent of the damage until the snow melts off the trees. Lilacs were already starting to bloom....I hope they can continue.

Observations....I was very calm throughout. I did what I needed to do and it got done. My house is full of plants but everything survived, even the many plants that endured a faceplant in the snow. I decided I'd live in the precious present and get everything I could get done inside for 2 days which has worked out very well. Tomorrow I will begin the process of cutting/trimming the many broken branches and assessing damage.

Day to day stuff has continued to fill more time than I have yet I find time for self care. Beck helped me find that space. I still weigh everyday and have many daily items on my "list" which fall under the Beck category "enrich my life today." I have a relatively new habit in that I have continued to drink only decaf coffee since I gave nationalparker's food plan a try many months ago. I continue to research nutrition and am trying to get back to trying new recipes. I work daily on keeping to move forward in both my yard and in my home. My Beck books and my deck of cards are on my desk both visible and accessible.

I have a goal, which I don't know if I can make happen, which is to renovate my master bath while DH is away. Tearing out my mom's wet mess last month reinforced my doing this sooner than later. I know I have some serious issues that need to be addressed. (bathroom has a musty smell) It's going to be a big mess and will require much learning and hard work. I will have to shower elsewhere during a 4/6 week period, if this happens. My girlfriend and I will do the work with assistance from my plumber friend.

I have some other issues; I'm having to work an extra day at the restaurant, my dogs both are amidst veterinary care for lice (they acquired at daycare) so are "quarantined. Much time has been spent cleaning and recleaning both of our homes to minimize adults, nits and eggs. I've had to come up with a new plan for their care while I work. The road project continues to be super messy...right now I need rubber boots just to get to my car. Sis has new medical issues and extra time and love is what my heart needs to give her. Mom and DH continue to have many needs that I must attend to. I'm caring for my elderly kitty knowing she doesn't have much longer with us.

I care very much about all of you but what I really recognized this morning is that in order to keep forging ahead with my food plan, my self care, all my obligations while working an extra day AND the unexpected messes which seem to have a life of their own with my 2 rentals and my mom's 9 (ouch); I need to be realistic and just accept that for right now getting back to "regular" posting is just not in my near future...
I think it's important for me to acknowledge this in writing so I can accept it and let go of a bit of self flagellation because I rarely manage to get here any more.

I feel very close to all of you.
BBE, I admire your dedication to this forum, to your maintenance, to your family and to all your many outside interests.
MaryAnn, I am so moved by your persistence and caring presence in so many different areas, especially the effort you find for your DH and DS, and of course, the extended efforts you put into your own self care.
onebyone, I am always amazed at your many accomplishments in your art world and that you never give up on your journey of health and decluttering.
CurlyJax and nationalparker, I think of you both daily. I continue to join you both in working to find peace whilst living daily with a loved one who lives with cancer. I'm one of you as I live daily with my Sisters continued treatments and the ups and downs.
KarenRN, your stories of Otis and your daily food/hiking log give me joy. I love both. Thank you for including me in journey on the Camino. What an accomplishment!
silverbirch, l always try and imagine where you live and it's beauty and hope someday to travel to your kingdom.

I won't be a lurker(don't like that word) so I'll read and chime in when I can. I'm going to make a promise that I won't go off the rails and lose what I worked so hard to achieve without getting back here and getting back to basics. I'm going to try and check in via the declutter thread because my accountability there directly translates to finding time to diet. I'm shedding a few tears right now....not quite sure why yet. I'll try to process....it's part of THIS process that we journey together on.

Love you all!

My last 58 pounds lost on SBD My 2014 Beacher Bio!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:06 PM   #86

Good afternoon coaches,

Food on plan today, but I was a little bit over yesterday. It has been a little bit more difficult week for me and not really sure why. For starters I had two beers after the dog training session which actually went just fine. Stress relief I guess.
Otis did well with his training yesterday afternoon and we did just fine too. All we really did was walk around the house with him with the leash in a particular way and clapping our hand on our thigh and turning a particular way. We have done the prescribed two twenty minute sessions today also. This guy is a stickler for the training and we are both fairly regimented, so we will do our best to stick to our commitment.

Today after walking Otis in the house for 20 minutes, we went on our outdoor walk for 40 minutes or so. I don't have to use the prescribed method when we're not training. After that I did my gym workout and let me tell you it is hard, especially the ending session where we did jumprope, lunges, push pulls (jumping with dumbbells) and more dreaded burpees. I can tell you I will for sure be getting stronger with all of this. Then I came home and cleaned the final bathroom. After lunch Otis and I both took a one hour nap. Actually he has napped a lot longer than that.

Lexxis It is so good to hear from you. My goodness sakes you have a lot going on. I really can't even imagine it. About the only time I was that busy was when my parents were sick and I was both working (part-time) and carting them to the doctor, PT/OT and ST. By the time my Dad died I could hardly sit still cause I had done so little of it for about 18 months. I am so proud of you for all the things you do and somehow getting some self care in there too.

Bill You are doing incredible on the no snacking. I'm afraid my little extras have been an after dinner snack, which I don't need at all. I pick up dh's prescriptions regularly. I am the designated errand person in our household since he works and I don't. If there is a way to stay out of a store of any kind, except the PGA golf store, he will find it.

Onebyone Your decluttering work sounds quite successful this week. A friend has asked me to come to Tucson in two weeks to help her declutter before she moves. She has carried the same stuff around for years. I'm afraid it will be a difficult job as already she is telling me the value of many of her books that she is sure her family will want. I may need stitches in my tongue before I leave. If my family is any representation, they don't want my stuff (even though some of it is very cool). In any event good for you.

Waving to Silverbirch, Curlyjax and Nationalparker.

I'm hiking with Suzanne tomorrow, but no gym until Monday!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #87
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 177/152/145

Height: 5-4

I cannot resist the food temptation here. I ate a toasted coconut donut this morning and it was delicious. There are bakery cookies, donuts, candy, chocolate, homemade kettle chips, more cookies and a bowl of fruit that is NOT tempting me at all with red delicious apples (which I never have found delicious) and granny smith apples (again, not one I like... I eat probably every other apple!). I am not derailing to the point of multiple donuts or cookies/day but I have had one a few cookies since I arrived and that dang donut. Still not drinking enough water and I think it's bc it's hard to zip away at all times for a bathroom... or that's a handy excuse. I need to vent about it because I'm beating myself up. I will not fit into my pants if I keep indulging each day. Not a lot of walking in the event yet at ALL. Today it was 50 degrees with 20 mph winds and rain for hours. At an outdoor event. I was able to manage things from inside for quite a while, but when out, it was cold. Salvaged a bit today at lunch when I filled my plate with mixed greens and added the seasoned mexican chicken on there instead of making tacos with rice. Small victory A few more hours here, hoping under four, and then done. Started at 6 a.m. on site and will have another early start tomorrow.

Started the Fast Metabolism Diet mid-Aug ... Down 23 pounds and attempting to hold in 150-52 range until next push!

Last edited by nationalparker; 05-19-2017 at 07:52 PM.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #88

Default Before bed check in

Coaches

Off to bed but here are the credits for the day:

1) Went to clinic. Down 3 kg now down 9 kg+ in total =19.8+lbs. Dr. N said I passed the 20lb mark and that makes me happy. Official weight 259.8. ok!

2) Took a break and changed my priorities for the day. After the clinic I grocery shipped then, exhausted, came home, made lunch, and made the decision to rest a little as getting ready for the market ie. packing the car, sorting stuff, finding stuff, assembling stuff, all takes time and energy. Also put decluttering second to getting market-ready.

3) Despite being second priority, I did unload the trunk and make one trip to the locker with DH. We removed my large prints and large paper, all in rolls, and brought them home.

4) After bringing this stuff back I to the house I can see I have gotten rid of a lot. My place isn't overflowing. Yay! Most of the rest of the stuff will go to the studio and not end up here.

5) While shopping when I was tired and hungry​, I grabbed two big bags of kettle chips, a favorite, in a brand I never buy, cause they were on sale, and placed them in my cart. In the end I removed them and ate on plan. Right now I am very happy I left them at the store.

Ok sleepy time. Bye!
Old 05-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #89
in development

Up early on Saturday morning. It's raining so that's good for the garden.

My new exercise pattern (splitting it into sections, interspersed with other things) is working well and I'm feeling more supple. Thank goodness. Food isn't too bad but it's not too great either.

Two nights away this week and then that phase is over. I wish the bad neighbours phase was over too. It's making me more apprehensive than I like.

Can't do personals today but Good Luck to us all this weekend with the challenges that cross our paths.

Last edited by silverbirch; 05-20-2017 at 03:39 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #90
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Amelia Earhart begins Atlantic flight (1932, Newfoundland)

Diet Coaches/Buddies Walk, CREDIT moi, to the garden and back to get it ready for the tomatoes. The tomato plants themselves spent the night on the floor in our kitchen in fear that the 90 degree day was predicted to plummet into the 40's. Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, ignoring the morning and evening snacks but having Cracker Jacks with DW for afternoon snack. Boxes of Cracker Jacks were handed out recently commemorating the Chicago world's fair where they were introduced. At least it's a snack that's unlikely to happen again since FREE boxes are unlikely to appear again, LOL.

Expand your senses was done by the play Arrabal - a powerful story of one girl whose father was an early 'disappeared' in the Argentine military coup that overthrew Peron. It was nonstop music and extraordinary tango. I'd forgotten that the loss of the Falkland war was the downfall of the dictator general. That period of Argentina is so powerfully sad.

onebyone Congrats for passing that 20lb mark to land in the 50's. Neat that you can see the progress of your decluttering.

Debbie (Lexxiss) Sure hope that 20 inches of snow doesn't kill your Lilac season. Super Kudos for spending your snow day saving your plants. So glad to know that you're still on track - and that you're centered enough to know that we don't want you to feel guilty for taking care of your life instead of posting.

silverbirch Congrats for "feeling more supple" - an earned feeling to make gardening more fun.

nationalparker I'm with you; Red Delicious apples should be named 'Look Delicious' apples - we avoid them here. Kudos just for staying sane during your insane work period.

Karen (karenrn) - Your gym session sounds exhausting. Yay for Otis making progress in his training.

Readers -
Quote:

The more you practice the foundation strategies and implement your escape plans, the easier dieting and maintenance will become. But you should expect to go through periods in which losing weight or keeping weight off is harder. Don't despair! Just go back to the fundamentals and make sure you're practicing the foundation strategies. Like the dieters in this chapter, if you've stopped using your skills, don't try to institute all the changes you need at once. Start with a few foundation strategies, master them again, and go from there.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 229