Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #61  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Herschel discovers planet Uranus (1781, Solar System)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Survived an overscheduled day, CREDIT moi - five events. I had to prepare some information to be presented before a volunteer group of supportive folks. It reminded me that in my professional life I often had to present to a hostile audience where a mistake could hurt a contract. Some things in life get easier.

Exercise sorta didn't happen. Ouch! Even the standard Sunday walk got skipped since I had to get from hither to yon right away. The good news is that one event for tomorrow has been postponed so I can try to catch up. In my next life, my butler will remind me not to procrastinate whilst serving afternoon tea.

onebyone – Congrats for getting to see your art hung with such a select group. Kudos for "but I will weigh in. Back on plan again."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for "managed to do my short weight routine every morning, even when pressed for time" - I need you to drop by and teach me time management skills.

nationalparker – That's a lot of meal prep for the week - Kudos for planning ahead. Yep, sign me up for the extra day during the weekend.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#4: The Stuck Off-Track Trap

Then I asked Brianna to think about how difficult it had been in the weeks before the reunion. She recalled that for the most part, it hadn't been difficult to stay in control. "I had a good groove going," she explained.

My point exactly.

"You're right. Where you are right now is really hard," I told Brianna. "And if it were always this hard, then maybe trying to lose weight wouldn't actually be worth it. But fortunately, this difficulty you're having now? It's temporary. And once you get back on track, it will get easier."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 210
Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #62  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Scale bounce also an indicator

Coaches!

Good Morning.

Weighed in as planned *credit* and saw expected scale bounce the expected 5lbs to 265. Which, actually, is a good thing as it does mean I am truly at the 260 mark as the scale bounces keep falling along with my "non bloated" weights. There is a strange form of consistency in these numbers when I break my foodplan, and there is some comfort in that but I am ready to let go more weight this week if my body will accommodate me. My clinic check in day is this Friday at 3pm. That will keep me on plan for today. Food is planned for today.

Today I plan to do a workout dvd as well. I would like to push myself further physically today.

Workwise, my friend and I are back to my studio trying to figure out how to print an image onto a ceramic pot. I knew it would be trickier than it seemed.

Bye!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Tried to catch up in posts. 10 hour days for the Brahms rehearsals. I should have known my music better but I was proud when DS saw me up there. It was a very challenging piece but the conductor was terrific. Today's plan is to it take very easy on myself. I'm exhausted. We stood for 1:45 minutes worth of music repeatedly.

Lunch packed. I must stretch tonite to work through kinks.

Nationalparker: I'm going to check out the author and the recipes.

Last edited by maryann; 03-13-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches!
It was a pretty boring weekend. Some of it was spent prepping for the big storm that is going to hit us tomorrow- 12-18 inches predicted. So I went grocery shopping, got lots of laundry done, checked on the batteries for flashlights and paid some bills. I get a little nervous before these storms but as long as we don’t lose power and get enough snow off the roof, things should be fine.
I already know we are working from home tomorrow so I can sleep in a little!

Oh yes, and I did buy some new sneakers, and boy I can feel the difference!

Maryann- your concert sounds lovely! So glad you could do it and enjoy.
Nationalparker- glad you will get to see your brother soon.
Karen- an arboretum in Arizona sounds interesting!
Wave to all-
Old 03-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #65  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Need Accountability Today

Hello - Checking in early - I apparently need the accountability because I'm going off the rails each time I go into the office kitchen for ice and water. A HUGE chocolate cake with chocolate frosting is in the kitchen area. I decided to have a one-bite taste. Thumped the cake off the frosting, because who am I kidding, what I want is the frosting, not the cake. Well, it passed muster. So then I decided, well, a bigger piece is good, so took about a two-bite piece and put it in a water cup since I didn't have anything there. Savored that. Then just now, had another sliver of a couple of bites. Still amounting to less than the precut pieces that are out but unwilling to stop because 1) hard day at work, no super busy, not necessarily hard... 2) it's free! ... 3) it tastes really good, not just mediocre ... 4) um...no good reason. Just because I want it.

Balancing what was a stray off plan with the knowledge that our time here can be short (saw that Amy Krouse Rosenthal passed away). While I can't live every day truly as if it's my last, I can savor some scrumptious bites without too much guilt. Now that I've reported it here, I can get through the rest of the day without more frosting indulging. Water is refilled. Time left at the office is wrapping up to the last 90 minutes and not staying late today.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #66  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - National Pi Day (3.14)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Made an evening snack from the nibbles offered at my evening event. I didn't choose to take nothing, as I've done often in the past, but chose wisely. I'll take CREDIT moi for that much.

I've decided that living in the greater Middle East some 2000 years ago wasn't a good thing. The list of the sacked and burned cities is long. Jerusalem was done in twice. Life was hard. Makes me feel a bit wimpy because we're concerned about losing power in the predicted blizzard - predicted to start at 6am this morning. We'll still have a roof over our heads and will have ample blankets to stay warm. If I don't post tomorrow, the expected unexpected has happened.

onebyone – Kudos for determination, "but I am ready to let go more weight this week if my body will accommodate me."

maryann - Thanks for the reminder to take care of ourselves, "Today's plan is to take it very easy on myself."

nationalparker – Kudos for getting your perspective and planning the move forward, "I can get through the rest of the day without more frosting indulging."

curlyjax - The weather maps predict as much as a foot difference in the snowfall for just a few miles separation. Hope you survive it well.

Readers -
Quote:

Brianna made the following reminder card:
Remember, getting back on track is hard, but that's
only temporary. Once I'm back on track, things
will feel much easier again.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 210
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #67  
persist

Default Tuesday

Coaches

Irritations in the studio made me search for comfort food last night. I stayed within my plan, but stretched it to its limits. Scale did show a dip this morning by one pound, falling to 264 from the 265 on Monday morning. It is tough, always, to be 100% on plan with both timing and selections. 85% of the time I get both right. Then on a Friday night and usually a Saturday, I stray in my selections, recover somewhat Sunday, and Monday, but struggle, for if it's a sugar deviation I become obsessed with food thoughts and need to ignore them until they pass. They do pass if I don't feed them with the real stuff ie. anything sugary. Any kind of food is better than sugar so I try not to judge myself for my choices and just do my best and so this is how I get back on track, by making each successive meal better in quality that the last. Still, it is fairly rare that I have a non-sugar-deviation week. Well, maybe the word rare is harsh. I can say that the last two weekends I have zigged when I should have zagged. I am planning on cooking a turkey (yum!) this weekend so that is a grand occasion for me to look forward to. No sugar involved with that.

Going now. Bye!
Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #68  

I declare yesterday a success. Many challenges but I gave myself and others much grace. OP. The only thing missing was much needed exercise. I promise at least strength work tonite.

Onebyone: sugar is my thing. I'm so powerless. I have to focus on putting the most nutritious forms such as dried apricots and dark chocolate in me so there is a balance of nutrition. That seems to help.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #69  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a short note to get back on track. The gals left this morning so it's back to normal around here. Today is getting the laundry done and that sort of thing. I walked the dog even before they left. We're both tired just from having extra people around, fixing meals etc.

Food was way off plan on Saturday evening, but mostly back on track since then and totally back on track today.

Personals tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:54 AM   #70  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - “Et tu, Brute?” (Ides of March, 44 BCE, Rome)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – We survived with only some eight inches of snow followed by a whole bunch of rain. That's good because snow was predicted as one to two feet. I went out to work the snow with the snow blower just as it changed to rain. Then spent another hour plus another hour later shoveling the slush. CREDIT moi for some good exercise. Not so much credit for going out twice with a coat appropriate for snow - not rain. I had two soaked coats dripping on the floors last night and have two pairs of gloves that are still wet this morning. I do have proper outer gear, that I didn't wear, but I don't even own waterproof gloves. I suspect that we have serious chipping of ice to get our car out this morning.

Last night I longed for an extra snack after the half mango that DW served. I didn't do it, CREDIT moi, a simple act that I'd like to see myself repeat again and again.

onebyone – It's just amazing how much a small amount of sugar can push us off our path. When I get to be Czar, it'll be classified as a drug.

maryann - Kudos for declaring your day a success. Inspired by your sentence, "I gave myself and others much grace."

Karen (karenrn) - We so need people, yet it's so true, "We're both tired just from having extra people around."

Readers -
Quote:

I asked Brianna to contrast how she had felt before the reunion with how she had been feeling the last few weeks. "I've been feeling pretty crummy," she acknowledged. "When I'm off track, it tends to color my day. I feel bad about myself."

Then Brianna identified an important sabotaging thought. "It's funny," she reflected. "When I'm off track, I always think I'll be happier if I can eat whatever I want. But then when I do, like I have these last three weeks, it really doesn't feel good at all."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 211
Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches- we survived the storm. I think we got about a foot of snow maybe? And as Bill said, it turned to slush. I nagged my family to get out there before it ended so we could get some of the heaviness done, and good thing too. As we were out there with our shovels, a truck drove by, backed up and offered to push the end of the driveway snow out of the way, which is the worst. It took one minute for something that would take us much longer and be exhausting. thank goodness for good samaritans!!
It also reminded me I could hire someone to just plow out the driveway if i really needed to- its only a four car driveway but if there is a ton of snow it becomes a lot. something to keep in mind anyhow!

They delayed school two hours because of ice. DD pushed to drive, so I reluctantly let her. i figure it is better for her to learn to handle the road on a day like this when I’m home and it is an easy familiar route. Its scary though!

Yesterday was somewhat high carb with pancakes for all in am although I amped up the nutrition with nuts and bananas in mine, leftover calzones, and i did make a choc chip dessert- with oats too. today is back to salad or soup and more veggies.

Onebyone- I made a turkey this sunday- it is indeed a great treat one can feel good about, with lots of great leftovers!
Maryann-I am with you on the sugar, always my downfall.
Karen-great to have company come, great to have them leave!
Bill- I too realized I don’t have truly waterproof gloves. I will look into that on sale this spring.
Nationalparker-I can savor some scrumptious bites without too much guilt- yes! we all guilt trip ourselves too much. Life and food is meant to be enjoyed.

Wave to Lexiss, new lifestyle, gardener joy, and anyone else!
Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM   #72  

OP but no exercise. I'm finding it hard to balance work, home and self health. There is always something and then I'm exhausted.
Today is the first of two protein days. I know this is a great maintenance step and I tell myself that it is only two days.

I'm to tir esurrect a creative writing program at my high school. I have a chance to get video taped for the school promoting it. I DO NOT want to see myself in video tape. This is a dilemma.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #73  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I hear you completely, Maryann - I'm not excelling at balancing with only a set number of hours awake at home in the evenings. I don't want to sacrifice sleep so I can ride our exercise bike, but also don't want to just let things "go" ... need to do laundry, meal prep/cleanup, etc. I'm struggling with it here lately. We get to phase 2 (meat/alkaline veg) and I thought I'd done well by prepping two turkey burgers on the weekend for a grab this morning for breakfast ... except DH took one for part of his lunch earlier this week and I didn't realize that. Phooey. I'm feeling that as much prep as I feel I do, there should be more to show for it. HA Enough griping. I can afford the food, the electricity to prepare it, am healthy enough to shop for it, and need to shut my trap about mini frustrations, I guess.

I forgot to check in yesterday - day was mostly on plan but a few strays that I just keep allowing in there and make a choice to do so ... my back isn't against the wall and I have no other option for a meal at an event, for example. I chose a piece of chocolate covered coconut, and three choco covered pretzel bites (but a big bite). I'm afraid my new size 10 capris won't fit me by the time the weather warms up enough to wear them. That said, I'm in some 10s Lees that are fine today. Rampant worries.

Maryann -- Can you do a voiceover on the video of others writing, why they want the program, etc. Make it invigorating and enticing!

Karen - I commend you for all of your visitors. I think I must be a loner after a while...

Bill - LOL at your non-weather appropriate outerwear. Any warmup in the forecast that you can wait for the ice to melt? Or will that not come until the weekend?

CurlyJax - UGH on your DD driving in that, I feel your pain. I never minded it so much until I spun out and completely off the road down into a ravine. Now, I'll do anything to not have to drive in it and am a pest to my DH with going out in bad weather. Good karma with the good samaritan assisting with the last of the snow cleanup. I've never heard of a four-car driveway do you have a huge garage? Or am I not versed in that at all?

OneByOne - I realize the past few weeks that being 100% on plan was easier than being 90% on plan. I want to get back there more often. The strays seem to lead to more strays and then justification of them, and reasoning with myself, and then ... edging up. Read a sobering article about retirement for women today and how taking care of our health NOW can be one of the best moves we make for the future. A good reminder that our healthy (or not-so-healthy) eating choices reflect in our bodies and not just on the scale. I think I need to journal a bit about that to set it firmly in my mind.

Made the decision to go out at lunch and pick up some items to make meals easier for today and tomorrow and if I take longer than usual, so be it. I'll stay later this evening if need be.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #74  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food is on plan and just got back from a strenuous 9 mile hike with Suzanne. It is one that is quite hilly and the wildflowers were just beautiful. We started at 7 this morning and it was low 60's. By the time we finished at 10:45 or so it was low 80's. There were many people just starting out when we finished. I've got to say I just don't tolerate the heat enough to want to start out in the 80's and the sun.

Otis was whining over by the laundry room door. I thought maybe he was thinking he was hearing dh come in, but no when I open the door he just wants a dirty dish cloth out of the basket instead of one of his 20 toys that are all over the floor. Just like a little toddler.

Nationalparker and Maryann When I was working my exercise consisted of hiking on the weekend. I just couldn't do it all and we often ate dinner out. It was more about having the energy than the time as my commute was very short. My job was draining and exercise probably would have helped, but I couldn't get myself to do it.

Curlyjax I love pancakes. I just bought some pancake/waffle mix at Costco that is Kodiak brand and I think it has more protein. A fellow on a FB site that I keep track of has a recipe that includes that mix, plus protein powder and egg whites. I just used the egg whites and I think I might even do it for lunch. I even bought a new inexpensive waffle iron at Kohls. They were pretty low cal and low points for my WW tracking. Both of my guests are also on WW, so I made them while they were here.

Bill I'm proud of you, half a mango is a small snack. Heck I eat a whole large one myself. Glad you didn't get any more snow than you did. I watch the news and see all the snow and it is hard to believe compared to our temps which are 15 degrees above normal.

Onebyone Turkey sounds really good. I do best when I leave the sugar out of the picture. Sounds like maybe most of us do.

Well I had better go hop in the shower. I have a hair appointment this afternoon and I'm getting quite a bit cut off. Hoping I like it, but then I remember it's just hair and it'll grow back.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #75  
persist

Default Today=ok

Coaches

I stayed home today. I did some dishes *credit* have dinner in the crockpot and now wont be eating it tonight as DH is having dinner out with people from the office overseas. I am not hungry and so wont force food into me.

I'm a little perturbed by having to have dinner out tomorrow night. Clinic weigh in and visit is Friday afternoon and I wasn't planning any kind of a real meal for supper tomorrow, more a larger lunch. Now we are all going to a Korean restaurant before we all go to a movie.Lots of noodles will be eaten at the table. I don't know if I can resist but I will try. I'll do some homework as to what to order . Any suggestions for low carb Korean food?

Bye for now.
Closed Thread