Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - George Bizet’s Carmen premieres (1875, Paris)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The good news was that I recharged my electric car while I was having my teeth cleaned. Best twofer ever! The hygienist said that my brushing had been good - a seemingly random evaluation since I brush the same and each visit get told 'good' or 'needs to be better' according to the position of the stars in the night sky. It continues to annoy me that the hygienist plays doctor by asking about my medical condition as if she'd understand it or do anything about it if I had a condition. Perhaps I'll start replying, "I'm pre-heart attack" since, in a logical sense, that describes everyone who isn't actually having a heart attack at the moment. Searching for a positive: I got a new toothbrush which I enjoy as a reminder to change the one I'm using before the bristles completely lose their worth. In my next life, the butler will swap out a new toothbrush every month and I'll never think about it again.

Eating was OK until I ran into a table of appetizers before an evening lecture. Seems there had been a previous event that was poorly attended leaving most of their food. So, I joined all the starving graduate students grubbing for food as if I, too, was underpaid and in need of sustenance to work through the night. I made minor concession to my dinner later but, CREDIT moi, didn't pledge to "eat little, if anything, for the rest of the day" to assuage my guilt.

onebyone – Congrats to your scale for admitting that you've been staying on plan for a while now. That event you've been invited to looks deadly for a sane eating person.

maryann - Congrats for being chosen for the newbie teachers to watch - however uncomfortable. Kudos for a good start without sweets. [Playing Grieg's Wedding Day at Troldhaugen to capture the mood.]

nationalparker – Kudos for walking your dog despite the challenging weather. Thanks for the mini tour of your art museum.

Karen (karenrn) - Cleaning up because the project is over is a rewarding task.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Waving back. Sometimes "super busy" helps me avoid over snacking.

curlyjax - LOL at "Yup, that sure tastes healthy." Congrats for trying a new thing with the acupuncture.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#3: The Overcompensation Trap

Perhaps you've had this experience, too. You overeat and then decide to eat little, if anything, for the rest of the day. But at some point you get hungry. If you've promised yourself you're going to make up for your mistakes in an overly restrictive way, you get a little anxious and think, "It's too hard to deal with this hunger. I've already overeaten today, so what the heck." If you do, you may very well wind up eating much more food than if you had just decided to eat normally, or close to normally, for the rest of the day.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 207

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 03-03-2017 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #17  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food on plan and exercise was a 4 mile hike with a friend and then a 2 mile walk with Otis. As soon as I finish this note I will make sure all my backpacking gear is packed for the most part and ready to go. I think I'll take my Camelback in my pack and it will go in tomorrow after I put some ice in it, so I don't put everything in the backpack yet. I found 3 dehydrated meals in my supplies, so I don't need to run out and get anything for my dinner, just choose one of the three. The good news is we aren't leaving until 8, so I can go to my 7 a.m. WW meeting before I go. We are only hiking 8 or 9 miles in on Saturday and of course the same out on Sunday. One person hasn't really backpacked, so it is not a strenuous trail. He needs to have success so he'll want to go again.

Bill I go to the dentist for cleaning in a couple of weeks so I am more diligent than ever with the flossing, etc. I just hate "the lecture".

[B]Nationalparker[/B] That is so funny about Lucy running for the food bowl when you vacuum. I found Otis under the bed a couple of times and encouraged him to come out once the danger was over. Today is a windy day here, although warm enough. The flags we pass on a couple of houses were really blowing and I could not encourage him to walk by them, so I just picked him up and carried him a ways. He is getting so much better about some things, but I don't think I can expect him to get over every fear at the same time. I just love At the End of the Porch. I would love to have that porch.

Curlyjax I hope the accupuncture is successful. I have never had it, but the lying still sounds awful.

Maryann I hope you have a relaxing fun weekend planned, TGIF for you.

Onebyone The Buttertart Festival looks absolutely lethal, but they sure do look good.

Well I had better go and be sure I have everything I need. I'm sure I've got a checklist someplace and I had better use it to be sure nothing is forgotten.

Have a great weekend!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #18  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, today's weight was up near the top of my maintenance comfort range. And then I didn't do well today - don't get me wrong, the eating was DELISH ... but not fully on plan. So this was my splurge and back to it for the next six days. Which should be doable. Ebb and flow.

No grand plans for the weekend on my end - hope to have some time to relax a bit and read. I put us on hold (again) for Brunelleschi's Dome - think DH would be interested in that one. I read part of it and skimmed part of it twice already. Maybe this time I read most of it. My mind just doesn't grasp a lot of the specifics. DH's will.

Bill - Love your possible response to the health inquiries by your dental tech ... double dog dare going your way.

Karen - Safe backpacking and fun travels this weekend - smart/kind of you to work to ensure he enjoys the trek. Do you ensure he has enough water, etc., if he's not backpacked much? Good luck at WW beforehand.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Another Friday. Yeah!!!! Toe is much better. Credit for stretches and Pilates exercises for two days. I will try a walk tomorrow. I don't think it will fly but maybe. Credit for three days "No Sweets at Work." I am always amazed how getting a day OP will elude me for weeks and then suddenly I have three days together. I'll take it.

Credit for putting some boundaries around people calling me. I do NOT have to call anyone back on a Friday night when i am exhausted. First things first. I did my exercises. Cooked dinner and played a game with DS. These are my priorities. Everything else can wait.

Karen: Good luck with the housework.
Nationalparker : Congrats for an OP day.
Curleyjax: I am interested in reading how the acupuncture comes out. I am thinking of trying it for my neck.

Rented Dr. Strange. It was just ok for a mindless distraction.

Last edited by maryann; 03-03-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #20  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Charles II grants charter to William Penn (1681, Pennsylvania)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to the library to demonstrate that the world still needs librarians. I returned The Great Wall of China, a book of hundreds of pictures of that physical structure to pick up The Great Wall of China by Kafka - the book I had originally wanted. I had cleverly ordered the wrong book using the library's web page. Duh! "Different books," smiled my favorite librarian as she laughed at my mistake. Walking felt more like February than the last week of February had felt.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi, except for snacks being larger than planned. I did avoid any evening snack since we snuck out to see Hidden Figures. Good movie about the three "colored computers" who were presented as real people - although nearly magical. All the white men were thin stereotypes used to make a background. The complexities of NASA's Langley Research Center were watered down to nearly laughable. But I'm glad I saw it.

maryann - Yep, Kudos for three days OP. Glad the toe is getting better.

nationalparker – Thanks for "Ebb and flow" - a reasonable outlook. [LOL at "double dog dare" to tell my hygienist that I'm pre-heart attack.]

Karen (karenrn) - Waving back toward Camelback as you are heading off for "only hiking 8 or 9 miles in." Your standards are high.

Readers -
Quote:

Deciding not to eat anything is a punishment. When you make a mistake, you don't deserve punishment. Not to mention that fasting doesn't work; you usually overeat again later in the day. It's better to modify your eating to some degree rather than to plan to eat nothing.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 208
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
I went to acupuncture again yesterday afternoon and felt very relaxed afterwards. My leg had felt little better thursday but aching last night. i assume it takes time and is more effective after time. I asked the practitioner how she became interested in doing it, and she herself had back pain when younger and treated it that way. She suggested applying heat after exercise and stretching, and suggested some other things like upping my vitamin D intake and taking some B since I don’t have a ton of energy. It’s always nice to have someone take an interest in your health, even if they’re being paid to do so!

My mom had uterine cancer a few years ago and was doing well, but it seems to have come back in her lung. Just a tiny spot, but still. She is debating the next step and thinking about quality of life vs prolonging it. She is 82 and doing quite well otherwise. I do wish I lived closer than a 5 1/2 hour drive but at least I can get there when needed. So we’ll see what happens.
Its very windy and cold, early March weather today!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #22  
Enjoying la bella vita

Struggling today ... I looked back and my journal and I was zipping along fine until I self-destructed when I heard my brother's not-great update. Too many "off plan" things - they're still technically on-plan but not phase appropriate - and other things just are treats. I indulged this morning in a couple of pizzelles from a package bought a while ago - 75 calories total but it's the rushing to eat, not savoring. I initiated a discussion with DH last night about retirement goals again - and when we adjusted when we'd like to retire and when collect social security, our analysis numbers varied greatly - some scenarios really good. So that got us thinking again. Well, ME, anyway. I keep thinking all rosy thoughts about retirement except for the huge unknown being health insurance/long term care/possible medical expenses.

Two-plus weeks until I get to see my brother for a week ... I need to rein it in and get on track, or I'll struggle to stay on track there. Planning for my black bean soup again this weekend - making it every other week now. Will strip a rotisserie chicken for chicken salad. Last time I stuffed it into campari tomatoes and it was delish. Looking forward to the yummy tomato season.

Got out and worked in the garden for an hour in the weak sunshine this morning ... clearing out leaves, twigs, old growth. Felt good, brisk.

Editing to add that I got out there for another hour after the funeral. First one I've gone to since my parents' funerals more than two years ago. Dinner was on plan with exception of a few tortilla chips - that I'm OK with since it's something we added back in - a few with chicken tortilla soup or black bean soup. Thought I was making a favorite of DH's - made homemade guac and the cilantro lime brown rice as well as matchstick sweet potatoes with lime and red pepper ... then DH decided he needed to cook a steak he had in the fridge for days.

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-04-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #23  

Good Morning, Coaches.

Sitting by the window with a second cup of decaf coffee. I have actually made it a couple of days with just decaf. I am following through with my commitment to only ordering decaf Nespresso. The things I have continued on from nationalparker's program are decaf and no wheat. I have cut wayyyyyy back on all dairy and soy. Still, the scale creeps up - 4 pounds from ticker. I would like to see how the "no sweets at work" contributes to a loss. I continue to try and have two "green" meals a day one of which is usually a smoothie. I have to believe that following these guidelines along with no standing while eating is really the way for me to lose the last 10 pounds. Anything more rigid will just result in a yo yo effect.

I have committed to a pilates routine before I head to the Brahms rehearsal.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #24  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Short note

Coaches

Ready for bed but know I need to check in here and gather my thoughts. I've been wobbly in my foodplan since the 5 item sugar indulgences on Wednesday. I have not managed to stick to my plan since. Mostly it's behavioural. Like I am eating by the stove again. I start my meal with a few bites there and then go sit down with it. I wanted to feel connected to dh so I ate when he did even though I wasn't hungry and he didn't care if I ate or not. I have also had higher quantities of food than I need, than my body wants. I have not been willing to say no to myself in these ways. The sugar was super deadly. I need to stay strong and Remember I worked really hard for weeks for the 262 I saw, even if today it was 267. I see the clinic Dr on March 18. I would like to be 260 by then. I am going to do what I need to to make it happen.

Thanks everyone for being here.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:19 AM   #25  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The Boston Massacre (1770)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Outing for the day was to hear Nicole and her father of Becoming Nicole: The Transformation of an American Family. Both were compelling speakers. He had to move forward from being a hard core 'manly' type who just didn't believe in transgender to become her biggest supporter. She knew before she was three years old. Most diverse audience I've been part of in a while since it included some folks who gave widely conflicting indications of gender. It was neat to know that I didn't have to know - or care.

After dinner we started watching the HBO mini-series Olive Kitteridge. I was intrigued by the first episode, Pharmacy, but found that I had something else to do rather than watch the second. Olive is not a likable character. DW had read the book and will probably watch all four hours. She told me that Olive didn't get more likeable, LOL.

onebyone – Thanks for the reminder, "The sugar was super deadly" - evil stuff, that.

maryann - Pilates and Brahms sounds like a good plan for the day.

nationalparker – Kudos for getting back on track. I once had a financial advisor run his simulation of how we'd do in retirement. To my surprise, the answer included how old we'd have to be before the money ran out.

curlyjax - Yep, windy and cold sure contrasts with a week without winter coats. Sending supportive thoughts as you and your mother work through her decisions.

Readers -
Quote:

I discussed this more forgiving - and more practical - strategy with Brianna. We agreed that skipping her afternoon snack and having a slightly smaller than normal dinner would have been more reasonable. She decided to implement this plan if she found herself in a similar situation in the future.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 208
Old 03-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #26  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

The backpacking trip was good, but shortened due to one person being unable to make it. It was our first warmer day out on the trail and we only went about 5 1/2 miles before setting up camp. Carrie and I took a 3 mile hike after that with the backpacks empty except for some water. Today we all got up and I ate and hiked in by myself. I had my own car and then I could go my own pace. I was own before 11 a.m. and happy to be here.

Just wanted to stop by and post a note, will do personals tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #27  
Enjoying la bella vita

Just finishing up my office work this evening ... we watched "Allied" - enjoyed it. I think this Sunday night movie night is working out - we still get to spend time together while I'm working so it's not a total loss of a weekend evening/night. Leftovers for dinner, so it was a quick prep and cleanup with no pans.

Bill - I found a photo on my camera phone of Olive Kitteridge blurb in an airplane mag that I'd taken, thinking I'd be interested, but never followed up on it. Thanks for the mini review. I think I'll pass it by if she's not likable.

Karen - Glad it worked out, though shorter than anticipated, for you. More time with DH and Otis has to be good

CurlyJax - Thinking of you with your mother ... you have been a lot of support for others through your journey here.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Bayer patents aspirin (1899, Berlin)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was an extra day with the DGD. DD and her DH had an event to attend so we got additional time. We took her to see my DS and his two dogs. She was enthralled - two dogs in the same room with her both being friendly - actually super friendly. Friendly puppy teeth and friendly big dog tongue licking the face of a 17 month old needed to be constrained by the three adults in the room. It was a fun day. Exercise, CREDIT moi, was the standard chasing and lifting. I got a break when she napped to walk to the drug store for an errand.

Eating was OKish. Dinner was the second half of a frozen lasagna that was labeled 3 1/2 servings. So we each had 7/8 servings each time, LOL. Since that was, each time, less than a full serving, CREDIT moi for modest portions. Whatever is the expectation of the company selling a 3.5 serving quantity?

nationalparker – Had to look up Allied - romantic lead man, located in Casablanca; seems familiar, LOL. Yay for time spent with your DH instead of washing pans.

Karen (karenrn) - Glad that you were able to find a camping site when the one person couldn't go any farther. Was the freeze-dried meal still good?

Readers -
Quote:

"But what about when I make a smaller mistake," she asked. "Like having my treat earlier in the day instead of waiting until the evening?" After some discussion, Brianna decided in that circumstance, she would forgo her usual evening treat and substitute a piece of fruit. "That way I wouldn't be punishing myself because it would just mean that I'd already had the treat."

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #29  

Phone check in. I am recommitting to one week of Nationalparker's FP. I saw a number on the scale that is a wake up call. Food is all prepped. Short week at school. I travel to college town starting rehearsals on Thursday night.
Olive Kitteridge was the book that inspired me to get my masters in writing. Never saw the movie.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches!
Not much to report. Kind of a boring weekend, although I did get to meet a friend for coffee I haven’t seen for a long time. She lives in the sort of condo I am interested in moving to down the road. It was a little smaller than I remember but has 3 floors. The only full bath is off the master bedroom which I don’t like- anytime someone takes a shower they have to traipse through the bedroom and potentially wake you up, as the kids tend to do quite late or quite early showers. Many condos seem to be designed like that.
I ate too much junk, but did manage to go to bed feeling a little peckish, and got a quick indoor work out in, so credit for that.
Closed Thread