Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #61  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Packed a lot into the day so far ... DH has been replacing the garage door opener since it broke yesterday and I've done a bit of prep cooking and the oddball errands. Have been on to go until a few minutes ago. When DH is done, we'll go for a trail walk. I want to eat dinner first no surprise there. It's freaking freezing ... well, to me. For the first time in a LONG time, I'm wanting to snack a lot today. Environment has only on plan foods, so I had my allotted snack and then realized I went really light on my water, and have been chugging and realized that's all it was... I'd start to wonder what the deal was. Glad I didn't get around to baking the biscotti yet - I will do that tomorrow and freeze quickly. But will enjoy a piece as desired. This will be a timely test.

Bill - I'm drooling at a "table of cookies" - how grand that must have looked. Many credits for passing it by. My all-staff big food work party is Monday - the released the menu - for different rooms of food and dessert. I think from now until we return from Italy, it will be a challenge. I'll be pleased to stay in the same range of a few pounds from now until then.

Maryann - Good luck with self-care this week. Do you enjoy hot baths? That's my [water wasteful] me time. Even if the pooch comes in a slurps water.

I can't figure out how to reset my goal - i plugged in 145 in both spots and it won't show up in the signature.

Last edited by nationalparker; 12-10-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #62  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Edward VIII abdicates for "Woman I love" (London, 1936)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Typing fast here; DGD is asleep in the next room as DW and I do our first overnight babysitting. All has gone well - meaning two full time adults servicing a high energy dynamo. The big milestone, going down at seven o'clock, happened with ease. I'm amazed.

So dinner was at 7:30 after she was down. It's hard to overeat when you're recovering from a constant workout.

maryann - Kudos, indeed, "for not letting my perfectionism stop me from treating myself well with food."

nationalparker – Yay for recognizing that you needed water, not snacks.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#2: The Deprivation Trap

Two of Catherine's ideas gave me pause:
  • When she was following a diet, she couldn't eat foods she enjoyed.

• She could only eat salads, while everyone else ate what they wanted.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 183
Old 12-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Thinking of all the things I would rather do this morning than correct papers. I would rather be putting babies to bed or planning Italy. Even cleaning out the freezer sounds good 😄 But that is for another day. I still have mounds to correct. Watched a ton of favorite reruns like Sense and Sensibiltiy which require little focus. Study break was going to gym with DS. He ran on the treadmill while I walked. Credit also for fulfilling homemade Advent calendar's direction to play Find the Wiseman. It is a tradition we started last year. I hide three little things and DS hunts. At 14 he still laughs like a toddler. Now that is Christmas.

Today's food challenge is to somehow prep for a crazy week of multiple parties and closing out the school year. Maybe cleaning out the freezer on a study break is a good use of time.

Last edited by maryann; 12-11-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:00 PM   #64  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food well over plan yesterday, but it was tasty food. It was my get together with former co-workers and a wonderful dinner including great appetizers and desserts. I made the two desserts and the good news is my sister in law just took them with her to their family get together, so that's the end of that. Today I am back on the band wagon and had the Bell Pass hike this morning, credit.

I listened to the Fast Metabolism Diet while I hiked to get more info and get geared up for tomorrow. I'm sure I don't have everything I need for the week, but I have enough to get started and then our company will be gone and I'll get the rest. I think the Beck skills and the FMD will be a good combo. It seems like so many food plans these days are limiting sugar, wheat, dairy, caffeine and alcohol. My plan is to be rigid and really give it and me a chance. Dh doesn't drink coffee at home when I'm gone, so we'll either use the coffee maker to make hot water or get it off the counter for awhile.

Also this morning Otis had his first bath at our house. Talk about squealing. You would have thought we were trying to murder him. Dh and I worked together to get it done as quickly as possible. It doesn't take much time to bathe a pup who is just over 5 pounds. Doesn't take long to blow dry either.
I can't tell you how much we are enjoying our new little pup. We are both just crazy about him. I'm glad we had the time before we got him, but now I'm so glad he's here.

Maryann Glad you're getting a little fun in today with "find the wisemen". I am dreading just one party this week. It's dh's work Christmas Party. My plan is to stick to my plan, but I may have to put some food in my purse to assure it. Good luck with all your events.

Bill The overnight babysit sounds like it went really well. DGD has spent so much time at your home that I am sure that was really helpful. Heck we're tired just chasing a dog, I can't quite imagine being responsible for a little human.

Nationalparker Your dh must be very handy indeed. I don't think I would let my dh get near the garage door. I've heard those springs can be very nasty and I'm afraid he would lose a hand or something. Aren't you so glad you've lost so much weight. With all the functions and Italy coming up I'm sure you're looking marvelous. That alone would be motivation not to go too overboard.

Waving to GardenerJoy, Dorodango, Lexxiss, Onebyone and whomever else is reading this. Onebyone, I'm wondering how your appointment went. Let us know when you have a minute.

Okay, that's it for now.

Last edited by karenrn; 12-11-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #65  
Enjoying la bella vita

I keep wanting a relaxing weekend day, but then I keep trying to tackle a too-long (by my own choosing) to do list. I've just started the oven and will make two recipes of biscotti and also give my brother a call. We headed up north to a Sam's Club and we spent too much, but the items purchased will be used a lot. I bought two fleece tops mainly prompted by the upcoming trip and my others are about 3" too short sleeves and hem now. Also bought a black jacket, not superior, but will do with layers as that Adidas one DH bought me a few years ago is STILL snug on butt. I removed the tags the other day and it said for the female athlete, I thought, "Oh, that's why it's not fitting!" , but will keep the tags on this new one until I wear it for the first time. DH wanted to stop at Panera again - he's getting in the mood of treating ourselves with that, but think it's because it's been so dreary. The "treat" has been the financial treat, not the food. Though it was nice to have it prepared and cleaned up by others.

Have been doing a bit of Italy planning in between things and forgot how gorgeous some of these hotels will be. In 300-year old and older buildings, beam ceilings, mmm. The one thing that has popped into my mind a bit has been FOOD! We're remembering that most restaurants will be closed, so will stop on Christmas eve day at a market (I know one is right near the Accademia) and pick up some items to use for lunches and snacks. Dinner reservations were made at one spot for Christmas night at 21:30. Only table available and time left - our B&B owners made it for us. The photos looked just wonderful. It is from late 1600s and used to be where the carousel from a nearby piazza was stored in winter. Part of me wishes I was older when I lived in Italy, but I'm so fortunate throughout my life, that to wish for that might have made other events go off the rails.

Bill - The question will be - if DGD departs today, will you and your DW take a nap? Your DS is mighty lucky to have you both.

Karen - I would have loved to have watched Otis getting a bath. Love that your DH helped! Mine is back out in the garage, wrapping up the project. I know what you mean about that coil. My dad almost got whacked a good one with his when it went. DH is a lot like my father in his abilities and knowledge. Just more patient. And maybe a bit more safety conscious.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #66  
I defy you, stars

Another busy weekend of not posting. My mother was in town so I met up w/her a couple of times for dinner & a show. Between that + errands + housework (and decorating the Christmas tree!), well, you know the rest.

Instead of eating on plan I've somehow wound up undereating. Since I'm a naturally slow eater and haven't found a lot of time lately to start a meal, let alone finish one, it works out to about 500 under goal for what's supposed to be a maintenance day. It's really satisfying now but I hope it's not setting me up to lose muscle / metabolic rate or feel like I'm gonna die come fast day.

My environment is finally under control. Not perfect. I have room in the fridge now, the good stuff and bad stuff in their respective places, the food inventoried - those are the main things. Whatever's left isn't enough to stop me from moving on to the next "day" of the Beck plan.

Something that randomly came to me today in the middle of a boot camp that was kicking my butt: I need to remember that struggling does not equal failing. Every single time I do anything that doesn't come easy (be it a major project at work or a sinkful of dishes) I spend the whole time thinking "this is impossible". The thought is the same whether it turns out in the end I can or I can't - it's as consistent as a stopped clock. About as credible, too.

Bill - kudos on your power to resist yummy food over the last few days! If you can do it at this time of year you can do it forever.
Maryann - congrats on a semester well done and not letting the pile of term papers throw you off your plan. And thanks for "this last week before break will pass whether I eat sugar and flour or not" - that's going to come in handy.
Thanks nationalparker for the Atlantic article! And congrats on the new decade! Hope you find those ideal work pants in the end.
Lexxiss - hope your mom's OK. My thoughts are with you and her.
To all those starting FMD - yay for positive changes! I'm kind of fascinated but not ready to make the jump yet - looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:57 PM   #67  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Lots o snow a fallin'

Coaches

Phone check in so apologies in advance re: random periods in the text.

My appointment at the clinic did not happen last week. The clinic.messed up the dates big-time, like instead of Dec 7 it was Nov 4. Hello? Good thing I called to check an hour or two before me.and my friend were set to drive there. It is now on for tomorrow, Dec 12 at 3. Happy to start the process.

I completed the last part show and sale of the season yesterday. It was a relief to be done. I am grateful for the teaching that is happening now and coming up in the future. I can really use the money.

I've been super mopey though. I am trying to imagine going away to grad school and finding it very hard to see it happening. I think I need to just do the steps and see what happens.

I haven't stepped on the scale in about a week. I might be up but maybe not. My food has calmed down this week so that's good.

Anyway just checking in and I'll be back with the scoop on my new foodplan tomorrow.

Bye for now.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #68  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Kenya becomes a republic (1964)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The DGD woke up on schedule; quickly came to a good mood; looked for 'Baby;' and continued the game as if the night was a mere moment's interrupt. My DD and her DH showed up at 8:30 quite pleased with their night out and delighted that their daughter was happy and in perfect health - meaning not harmed by the doddering old grandparents, LOL. A pleasant experience.

I'm behind on some coursework due this morning. Life just got more busy than I had planned. Exercise, CREDIT moi, was a bird walk that had the added fun of three new birders joining us. It's just great when young adults look through good optics for the first time and experience the additional birds that are sighted when a group is out. We saw three Red-tailed Hawks - at that location seeing one would have been a treat. Three Mute Swans were on the water - not my favorite bird but striking to see. There's snow on the ground right now. Events today may be cancelled. Boston isn't good with its first snowfall each year.

onebyone – Bon Voyage as you have your first appointment at the clinic today. Hope things calm down to improve the mood.

maryann - Good luck for a busy week ahead. Chuckling that your 14 yo DS "still laughs like a toddler."

nationalparker – Your Christmas night restaurant La Giostra looks so enticing - with I was headed to Italy with you guys. Neat to be planning all your clothes as combos and layers.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for having a SIL who took away the remaining desserts. Yay for surviving the first bath for Otis.

dorodango - Kudos for completing Environment Day in the Beck six weeks. Room in the fridge is a great benefit.

Readers -
Quote:

It sounded to me as if part of the reason Catherine was feeling so deprived lately was because she actually had been depriving herself. She was displaying classic all-or-nothing thinking. She didn't recognize the huge middle ground between being able to eat everything you want whenever you want and not being able to eat anything that you enjoy. I asked her what she thought would happen if she continued to feel deprived. "I'll eventually end up going in the other direction and eat way too much," she said. "But if I do eat my favorite foods, doesn't that mean I'll gain weight?"

"Not at all," I explained. "When you have a reasonable plan to incorporate your favorite foods, you may slow down how quickly you lose weight. But isn't that worth it if it means you can lose weight and keep it off long term?"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 183

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-13-2016 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Typo: DW => DH
Old 12-12-2016, 09:27 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Credit for lots of work done and a day with much better portions. Advent calendar said to drive around for Xmas lights. DH found an abandoned circle and pretended we were back in Ireland on the wrong side of the road. Thrilled DS. I was able to prep the food I'll need. Good to remember that meals don't have to be perfect. I can do better tomorrow. Hunger is not an emergency.

Appropo to nothing. I corrected best essays I have ever had. I let the kids use "I " and spent the prior days on round table discussions on parents and spyware. My department says "I" is a no no but it unleashed their voices. I think whatever gets them writing is great. The collegboard agrees with me I know.
Everybody sounds like they are in the main stream of life with food on the side. That is a good thing.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #70  

Good afternoon coaches,

My the day goes fast when a person takes a two hour nap mid morning. My brother and sister in law left to see her daughter and without any coffee this morning to keep me going, I just fell asleep. Yesterday was within calories because I did the Bell Pass hike which is a little over 2 1/2 hours, but it wasn't perfect. I ate a couple of molasses cookies that my sister in law made. This morning is the start of the new food plan and I'll have to say with guests in the house I wasn't very creative with the menu, but they leave this evening so it can only get better.

Maryann I bet some of those essays are pretty interesting. When does your break start and how long are you off?

Bill So did you have DGD for the whole weekend. If so I can see why you are a little behind. I can't even get things done with a new pup.

Onebyone What is it that grad school will get you? More and better teaching jobs? It just sounds like so much darn work. I hope you like the sounds of the new food plan and that it's a workable situation.

Dodorango I started the FMD today, but I will say I don't think it's a magic bullet any more than many other plans that entail careful eating. I am going to continue to journal what I eat in MFP to see how many calories I am eating. I think the good thing about it, along with some other plans, is that it is good healthy food and limits some of the foods known to cause inflammation. Nationalparker has done so well and I'd love to follow her lead.

Nationalparker The restaurant you will be going to looks lovely and the food looks divine. It all looks wonderful. What fun the two of you will be having! Yes, it was something else giving Otis a bath. I sent a message to his Colorado momma and she said he was always the most vocal. An owner of one of the other pups commented on my FB post that her pup loved the bath and the warm water. I almost wanted to post a snarky reply, like "Oh you used warm water?", but I refrained.

Well I had better get a few things done around here before my brother and sister in law get back and wondered what I did all day.

Waving to everybody else!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #71  
Enjoying la bella vita

Well ... apparently I can withstand all temptation until it's right in front of my face. AH well, one holiday event down and several more to go. I didn't stay on plan for the holiday party, but every single thing was one bite except a blob (best way to describe it) of banana cream pie that I thought was unique because I thought it was coconut. I ate a few forks and left the rest, right proud. It WAS good, but looked a bit of a mess. Bite size pizzas (!) of which I had one and the "lids" off two more, and a small potato skin - I thought it should have cheese, but the one I got was "empty" ... so of course, went back looking for another one and took that with a few shreds of cheddar. The ones I remember from decades ago had pooled cheddar in them. Hopefully by this point, my metabolism is cranking away after 16 weeks or so of the plan, and this will be just a bump. Will do dinner as planned, with large salad to start with.

Dressed nicely and felt so much better than in years past. Spent time at lunch on Italy transit planning. We'll be taking planes, trains, buses, taxi, vaporetto/water taxi...think that covers it. I sure hope ticket offices have some regular hours!

Blah day here with cold wind and deep gray skies. Dreary and depressing.

OneByOne - Hope all went well with your appointment today!

Bill - What would your favorite birds to see be? I enjoy them all but half of what I see is classified as a songbird or littlebird (those little wren-like, and used with a cat, "oh, look at the littlebird on the patio" from inside the screen door... I know, I need more knowledge!)
Old 12-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #72  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Abel Tasman arrived in populated New Zealand (1642)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The terrible weather wimped out before noon. The snow never had to be shoveled. There wasn't hard ice on the car's windshield. I feel that we escaped a potential hard time. I drove instead of walking to class because it still looked like the end of the world might be coming.

I completed three tiny student-reports for my class, CREDIT moi. Taking classes in retirement has assignments with low expectations, but I felt that absorbing fifteen minutes of a class's time required showing them more respect than to just report a list of facts like a Manhattan telephone book. What I produced worked. And some more work that I had to prepare for my evening event got done on time. In my next life, I won't procrastinate. I won't.

maryann - Congrats to your creative DH for being able to drive on the wrong side of the road from the right side of the car. Yay for doing whatever it takes to let kids come out.

nationalparker – LOL at "blob (best way to describe it) of banana cream pie." I'm just the opposite; I'd gobble the banana and skip the coconut. How soon is your trip to Italy? [Large, rare birds would be a favorite, like the Secretary Bird that we saw in Tanzania.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for a two hour nap. My body can nap for exactly 60 minutes then wakes up ready to go. Bon Voyage on your new food plan. [We had DGD for just the one night; a full weekend might have to wait until she's a tad older.]

Readers -
Quote:

Following our discussion, Catherine made the following reminder card:
If I start feeling deprived, ask myself, am I being too
restrictive? It's important to incorporate my favorite
foods into my diet (even if it means I lose weight
more slowly) or I'll rebel, give up, and gain weight
back.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 184
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #73  

Good afternoon coaches,

Day two of the new food plan. I think the hardest part is the no caffeine, but I think the worst of that is over. Today's biggest hurdle is not eating over the construction woes. The bathroom is redone except the expensive glass doors won't go back in for some reason. Probably because the shower pan was built a little different. We don't have any assurance that insurance is covering any of this so I am not very happy about it. They were expensive. It is what it is though, so I need to just let it go.

Bill As much as I like a little snow, I think I'll take our weather. It was 74 yesterday and so far today it is 70 and sunny. Very easy to take a puppy outdoors numerous times.

Nationalparker Sounds to me like you did pretty darn well at your party.
The potato skins I used to eat were loaded with cheese too. They had so much cheese that they were greasy.

Well I'm going to put the pup in jail and go run a couple of errands. It will probably do me good to get out of here for an hour or so. More tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #74  
Enjoying la bella vita

Well, apparently this will be the temptation week for me. Huge tins of good chicago-style popcorn were delivered to our office today. I'd forgotten about that. Luckily they don't last long around here because that, despite its neon orange rarely found in nature on the popcorn, is a bin of yumminess. I took a sane portion, about a cup, and just ate it and enjoyed it. DH and I are on the same page - enjoy the special treats, bypass the routine treats. Came home from an errand last night to find two huge zip lock bags of Christmas cookies from a neighbor. When all packed in together, they all kind of taste about the same. I broke off a bite and it was good, and so gave the rest to DH. That's not supportive or smart of me. He asked me to hide them so I did, but ... if we don't want to eat them, I don't want to keep them. I think I might sneak them into my work kitchen. Soup for dinner at home tonight, that great Italian turkey sausage and veg soup with sweet potatoes and leeks and carrots. Sounds bleh but it's spicy and delish.

Snow today - so our city's interstates and roads were littered with wrecks all over. Many closures. They're saying close to 400 accidents today. The "Arctic freeze" moves in with single digit lows and highs in the teens ... wind chills will be miserable. Skirt, sweater and tights in to work today, but forgot my snow boots. Not in the winter groove yet. Slippery walk from the parking garage.

Want to take a few minutes to journal as well this evening in between movie, tree decorating, gift wrapping and package prep ... feel like I've been putting more effort into my to do lists instead of the thought releases.

Bill - That is an aggressive-looking bird! Kudos for putting forth the effort for interesting reports.

Karen - I have full blown weather envy. And I try hard to not envy others I might also have a bit of puppy envy!
Old 12-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #75  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile My appointment yesterday was ____

Coaches

I had my appointment yesterday. Dr. Nadia, the naturopath, is my contact person and the group facilitator
She was a mess. She'd had a bad day with one troublesome patient and she told.me.all about it several different ways. Had I been someone who.knew nothing about the program I would have been turned off. But, program-wise I don't officially begin until January 6th when I have an orientation from 10-4 which goes over the complete plan. Low carb, high natural fat, limited protein.

Wow. Late. More tomorrow!! Promise.
Closed Thread