Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #106  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I followed my plan yesterday -- yay!

And, got my big project done. The person I sent it to asked if I could provide a list of the sources that I used. Ha! Provided it in under 5 minutes!

Weigh-in: NA
Exercise: +35, 805/1100 minutes for September
Food: 100% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes

nationalparker: I listen to British radio dramas while doing kitchen work. The Archers is the longest-running soap opera in the world, set in a fictional rural village and the surrounding farms in England. Home Front is about WWI, each episode airing on the 100th anniversary of that day during WWI. Both are high-quality productions and are less than 15 minutes a day.

BillBlueEyes: the changing season brings Honey Crisp apples!
Old 09-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Made it through the week with reasonable on-plan-ness. Last night measured out spicy chicken teriyaki and rice. They continue to refuse to give me steamed vegetables with my chicken, so I carefully measured the rice. (The first time we got takeout here, they made me some amazing tender-crisp steamed vegetables.) Unfortunately this is the only clean teriyaki joint in town. I have leftovers ready and measured for lunch today.
We have a wedding to attend today; not sure how to plan for this. One strategy may be to go only to the ceremony and not the reception, which is scheduled to start hours after the wedding.
Bike riding planned for tomorrow; would like to squeeze it in today, also, if I can schedule around the wedding and the travel back and forth.
Bus rider readers report: today I just smiled at them when I walked in the room. When I would get up from my desk, I could hear them: “She’s coming! She’s going to the candy cupboard!” But I made ‘em wait until moments before the bus came. Felt like I was marching in a parade-throwing candy every which way. My favorite part is two 4th -5th grade girls who sit together and read picture books out loud, in unison. These are English Language Learners, so I feel pretty good about not only the quiet and order in the hallway, but the oral reading practice that is happening, voluntarily!
Old 09-24-2016, 03:31 PM   #108  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

The anticipation I have for a happy hour 4" pizza is off the chart. Yikes. I am predicting that DH will drag his feet on our departure and so we'll miss happy hour and I'll end up with a larger portion than anticipated. He's moved it back already and now is starting to do some home repair work. So we'll see. I don't want to be so frustrated that I overeat if we order a small and share. I KNOW I can handle the calories of two small pieces of pizza but it's the principle. Weight remained in 164s today, but barely. Knowing the trend to go up in this phase has me prepared. I like that data, GardenerJoy!

Got oddball things done today - cleaning out fridge and washing the drawers, etc. Made healthy lunch and rode bike and did a weights. Last night we did the trail walk - nice. Still very muggy and it will be with us through early next week. I don't mind late summer as the fall seems to rush right into winter. And winter, I despise. Probably will until I retire and perceive that I don't need to be anywhere regularly during bad weather. This might be a complete fallacy, but ...
Old 09-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #109  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - William Faulkner born (1897, Yoknapatawpha county, MS)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Birthday party for my DGD was super fun after I decided to skip the cupcakes. That's not a big deal; even homemade cupcakes and just cupcakes. A bunch of one year olds makes a lively event.

The kitchen faucet no longer leaks. CREDIT moi for doing what needed to be done. Early in the morning I watched three YouTube videos on how the task was done and found that the nearest Home Depot had the package of o-rings that were needed. So, I was one of their first customers after 6:00 am. The job was more difficult than the videos because I had to use CLR to get rid of calcium buildup before re-installing. Old calcium is difficult to remove. Yay for acid.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats for having your sources at your fingertips. Sorta like a librarian, LOL. [Now drooling for Honeycrisp apples.]

Nature Girl – LOL at the role of candy lady. Yay for kids working out that reading aloud together is super learning.

maryann - LOL at "Fall comes not matter what. Just like dinner time." Neat strategy to wait twenty minutes to see if you're still hungry.

nationalparker – Now I'm getting excited about 4" pizza. Yay for an oddball day.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

#2: The Wall-to-wall Treats Trap

Deanna needed a guideline for office treats. I told her about a rule I have for myself: no junk food before dinner.

"We frequently have treats in our office kitchen year-round, not just during the holidays, and if I didn't have this rule," I explained, "every time I went into the kitchen to get water or tea, I would see the food and struggle about whether to eat it. I'd put myself at risk for cravings throughout the day. But because I made this firm rule for myself, it really isn't difficult. It was harder to stick to at the beginning, but over time, it got easier and easier because I proved to myself that I can always resist those treats. I know that if there's something I really want, I can bring some home and have it after dinner - I just can't have it at that moment. Knowing 100 percent that I'm not going to have junk food at the office makes my day so much easier."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 155
Old 09-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #110  
Enjoying la bella vita

Busy, busy day ... DH is replacing trim around the house and I'm putting the first coat of paint on it. Did marketing, baked apple-cinnamon-oatmeal bars for Mon/Tues breakfasts (if good), made the loaf pan of lasagna for tomorrow's dinner so we can pop it straight in the oven, cut up fruit for snacks (four fruits Mon/Tues so have some apples and peaches and plums and cantaloupe). We'll do the peach sorbet tomorrow evening, I think. DH is still working outside, so dinner will be a late affair. He's worked so hard today, I'll end his with a surprise massage ... not to compare with the "real" ones, but ... Laundry is moving along, Shopped a few items for my sister's package, and did my weekend office stuff that has to be moved along so I can finish tomorrow with my reports. Feels like the day has passed in a blur. Must remember to call bugman for yellowjackets - there are many more than we initially thought. Personals tomorrow! Credits, though, Bill, for skipping homemade chocolate cupcakes at a party! That would rank as unusual for me, and I'd have indulged At least in the frosting! Scale up slightly for me and DH dropped a pound. Go figure.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

I was going to say I fell off the wagon last night but falling implies an accident or being pushed – I need to say I JUMPED off the wagon. We went to the wedding, and skipped the reception. Somehow, I had myself set up to indulge just a little and when that chance was gone, I decided in my brain that I ‘deserved’ something. Didn’t stop for dinner out, so when we got home I convinced DH to go for yummy comfort food that I don’t even know how to measure or count. And ice cream afterwards. Really????
Good news is I got up and planned my day, stayed on plan all day with food left over. Will get up after posting and make lunch for tomorrow – it’s all written down, as is breakfast.
Bike ride didn’t happen because after spending three hours on schoolwork, I got involved in the dreaded ‘seasonal clothing switch’. But I was sweating and panting hauling boxes of sweaters down the stairs and the same boxes upstairs full of shorts and tank tops. Bummed about the bike, but usually I wait too long for this chore and also drag it out to take days or weeks so very happy to get it (mostly) done today.
BBE thanks for the excerpt about snacking at work. I really like the way she added “I know that if there's something I really want, I can bring some home and have it after dinner - I just can't have it at that moment.” Usually if I am strong enough to resist initially, I won’t “need” it later, but this gives me the freedom to decide.
Wait a second, nationalparker, did we get a report on how delicious the long awaited happy hour pizza was?
Old 09-25-2016, 11:45 PM   #112  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default mixed bag

Coaches:

Ate too much yesterday and tried to reign it in today to compensate. Result? Ate one thing too many today and scale rose this morning 3.5lbs (salt. we ate out yesterday) and official weigh in day is tomorrow so I predict weight will be up and possibly over my starting point last Monday after my 8.6lb drop. It's all very confusing. Of course all will become clear to in the morning when I am on the scale.

This week was something else. Hoping for a calmer one sarting tomorrow.

Bedtime.
Good night all.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #113  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Drake circumnavigates the globe (Plymouth, 1580)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi. Also moved a cord of firewood from hither to yon with a line of folks passing the wood along in a human chain. I've never done that before; it was fun and didn't feel like a whole lot of work. My arms did note that they'd done some work. A whole cord is a bunch of wood.

Meals were all weird. Morning snack was large enough to declare as lunch. Afternoon neighborhood affair was large enough to declare as dinner. Maybe I was close to plan. I pretended that a grilled turkey sausage eaten with guacamole was good for me - as if that reduced the calories.

onebyone – May it be a calm week. Or at least calm enough, LOL.

Nature Girl – Congrats for doing your ‘seasonal clothing switch’ - not a chore to my liking.

nationalparker – Ouch for yellowjackets. Do they commonly appear? Kudos for all that food prep.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

That sounded reasonable to Deanna, though she thought the rule would be really hard to stick to. "I'd like to learn how," she said. "Whenever I eat sweets at the office, I always end up feeling guilty. "Sometimes I just sit at my desk and obsess about the food in the kitchen. Then I start to crave it, and eventually I give in. And then I get mad at myself."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 155
Old 09-26-2016, 06:29 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello to all, tough last few days here. Both kids had a bout with norovirus, one after the other. Had to miss work, miserable weekend with no sleep. My husband and I haven't gotten sick yet, knock wood. I did well enough on my plan, practiced the first four days of Beck strategies, and exercised everyday except Friday and the scale rewarded me. I'm also focusing on getting to bed at a reasonable hour, which is always tough for me. A reasonable hour is 10:30. What would help with that is deleting two iPad games which I play compulsively. There - did it. Do you think I can leave them un-deleted for an entire week? Let's find out.

Maryann: I like your watching the clock game. I will give it a go.

Nationalparker: credit for all that food prepping. Sounds like you're going to eat well. Yum!

Nature Girl: credit for clambering back on the wagon. And for taking responsibility for the jump. Is there anything you could have done to avoid the jump, or at least make it less likely?

BBE: thanks for being here so I can start my day off right.

Last thought, I love eating when I'm hungry so letting myself get hungry is awesome.

Last edited by flnu; 09-26-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:19 AM   #115  
Green Tomatoes

I never made a plan yesterday, but eating was reasonable. I never posted yesterday either, but here I am now!

The drama in one of my volunteer gigs got worse last night and I'll have to spend much of today dealing with it. Sigh. I'm now committed to quitting this one because I do better work in my other gigs. Unfortunately, I'm also committed to finishing what I started so I can't actually quit until mid-February. Tonight's the biggest hurdle, though. I'll get through that and getting to February will seem easy by comparison. Credit for examining my feelings and options and making clear-eyed choices.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #116  
Enjoying la bella vita

Wow - scale bebopped up a great deal this morning, despite on plan day. I can't attribute it all to the deliciousness of the 4" pizza (for $2.50 no less!) haha ... since DH had the same, along with a beer, and still lost. Something's afoot but will drop down when it's time. Ahh, NatureGirl - that pizza was savored like crazy. That is "my" food - if I could have one food forever, it'd be pizza. Sorry, Bill, not fish soup. ;-)

Have swerved a bit off plan with the lasagna loaf pan tonight - I've added shaved parmesan in there instead of skipping cheese altogether, and in place of mozz. About 2.5 oz for the whole pan. I want to stay OP but also want to add in a bit of what will be in our lives for life, really. Supposedly after the first four weeks, you've reset your metabolism and can add things in slowly that you want to on occasion. I clearly still have a ways to go to get to where I want to be, though. And probably further.

Bill - Have someone coming to handle the yellowjackets Tuesday morning. They've build a nest in a gap between the gutter and wood, I think ... I feel bad eradicating them but don't want them finding their way inside. Started reading A Square Meal and am enjoying it so far. Thought it might be of interest to you if you've not read it. Read a bit out to DH on the farm meals and he said that's how it was still in the 90s when he was working on farms.

Joy - I feel for you with the drama-filled volunteer gig. Remember that treating yourself with compassion, too, is important, and sometimes outranks following through on commitments. So if the tension gets too much, there's grace in withdrawing and letting them search for someone else who is a better fit. Take care of yourself.

Glad to see you back, flnu - good luck in staving off the illness!

NatureGirl - Credits for ownership on a brief hop off the wagon... sometimes it seems an indulgent day/meal can let our system know we're not starving it and it drops some weight...fingers crossed for that I might be the ONLY person who likes moving on to the next season's clothes. I'm always rooting through a bin to find something before it's time to move them into the closet. We don't have a lot of storage space, though, so it's all in two bins and part of a closet. Well, we have ample storage space, I just have it used for other things... ha.

OneByOne - Good luck on plan this week! We're starting week 7 and I'm starting to get antsy with our meals, so will work on that a bit this evening to come up with some of our regular meals with some food swaps. I think it's always going to be a bit of work to balance our work, stress, relationships with our health.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Default Credits

Credits: Ordered Jr. Burrito for dinner and said no chips. And they really wanted to give me chips so had to say it a few times. Ran 2.5 miles. Signed up for trx course. Had salad as intended for lunch.

Demerit: Was driven by the debate to seek comfort in mindless ipad game despite intending to forgo for a week.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:17 AM   #118  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - European SMART-1 satellite to orbit the moon (2003)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to classes, CREDIT moi. Evening was spent at a meeting where snacks sat on the table. I indulged modestly. That included ignoring the dark chocolate covered almonds when they were calling to me.

DW thinks that it's time to turn on the heat in our house. I have to try to remember what steps to take in addition to just turning it on. I vaguely remember that there's something else to do. Hoping to remember before I blow it up, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Drama when volunteering is so unfortunate. Kudos for being clear about what will work for you.

nationalparker – A bebopping scale is just the worst, LOL. A $2.50 pizza is such a good buy.

flnu - Ouch for norovirus - remarkable that you and your DH have resisted. Kudos for taking steps to get away from addictive games. LOL at the difficulty of ordering NO CHIPS.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

And even worse, having one treat didn't stop the craving. Because then Deanna would keep thinking about the food and go back and eat more - and feel guilty again. "The cravings and gaining weight. It's just not worth it. I think I'd like to try your rule." She made the following list:
Holiday Treats
  1. No to eating office treats in the office.
  2. Yes to taking a piece home for after dinner - unless I have a party that night and will be eating a treat there.
  3. If I have a craving, do something else (or several things) until the craving passes.
    • Refocus on my work.
    • Do some deep breathing.
    • Drink water.
    • Take a walk.
    • Check my e-mail.
    • Do desk aerobics.
    • Talk to a coworker.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #119  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for following my food plan on an otherwise weird day. It's kind of a comfort, actually, when my food plan structurally supports my day. Last night's event went about as well as could be expected and it's a big relief to have that done.
Weigh-in: NA
Exercise: +25, 925/1100 minutes for September
Food: 100% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes
Old 09-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #120  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking yesterday and today

Coaches

Last night's demo at the local artists' group went great. I was carving a relief print for them and when I inked up the beige block I'd carved with the black ink audible gasps went through the group AND I got ooohs and aaahhsss!!! Unbelievably great reaction! ANd then when I made the print, they all spontaneously clapped! How wonderful is that? Amazing.

And to top it off I got an email saying they forgot to give me my cheque. Cheque? I had no diea I'd be paid for that. Wonder what I made??

Today I am back to house cleanup. I have 3 hours. The guy who's coming has been called, In several texts from the landlord, a house inspector, a home appraiser, and today, a bank agent. More and more it sounds as if his visit is for some kind of refinancing for the landlord and not about selling the property. But, all of sudden DH has become a reasonable human being, talking budgets, talking chorelists, talking paying down debt, talking moving--with excitement and hope! All these topics when brought up previous to last week filled him with anger and he just shutdown. Glad that phase may be over and we can finally move forward.

Foodwise/weightwise. Wow. This plan is working. Today my wii fit didn't work right so it wouldn't save the -1.3lb loss giving me 265.4 I think. So I stepped onto the backup scale and it said 264.4. Both numbers are down from the last weigh-in I had. YES!!!!

AND... both of them get me to my first goal: 265. I need a reward. Maybe a visit to a gallery is in order.

Anyway, off to clean whatever I can manage in the next 3.5 hours!

Will check in on the declutter thread and then start in on the work.

Bye for now.

Last edited by onebyone; 09-27-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Closed Thread