Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #16  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Back home and up a pound and DH is flabbergasted because he dropped a pound and we ate nearly the same things/diff quantity. I said I typically retain water when flying and expecting a fluctuation now anyway but hope it drops tomorrow. Great trip - I miss my brother so much. We were able to lay roses at my parents' graves on the way out of town, so it was an emotional day leaving him and I'm always a crier at the cemetery.

OneByOne - Hugs to you - that comment from your sister's friend was so uncalled for and I wish you'd asked your sister, what would make you think that is appropriate to pass on to me? What the heck? Every one of us cycles up and down where we are more attentive to things than not. I'm just now getting my interest in putting forth a more pulled-together look back after a few months of ehhh...it's summer ... She's not the fashion police and certainly fails at personal relationships. It's easy to say let it go from your mind, but those never seem to fade fully away. No one needs to tell one another to pull themselves together. It's not her right/job/business to do so. How would she receive it if you approached her on her terrible interpersonal skills in your relationship and that she needed to change completely, that she's not good enough. Hm. I doubt it would be well-received.

I thought I posted more while gone but nope. DH's folks are bringing our pooch back and DH is stopping on his way home to get gift card for them. His mom's bday is tomorrow but we've not made plans yet. I don't want to cook/bake for us - I would rather go out and then I'm not cooking with items we can't really enjoy right now. We'll see what we work out. I know DH and I are going out for my bday as a break from the 28-day plan. We're going to enjoy the salad and pizza this weekend and then continue right on the plan. My travel plans at work will make this very difficult next week. Especially on the meat/veg day. Snacks of turkey bacon, meat, would be too hard to find/prep during meeting breaks. I will have to adjust the days a bit somehow.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #17  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I hope every one who had a holiday yesterday had a good one!

Weigh-in: NA
Exercise: +30, 190/1100 minutes for September
Food: 90% on-plan
Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Refrained from eating in the car: yes
Old 09-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #18  
Green Tomatoes

I have to make a quick run to the grocery store with multiple conditions in place that would normally make me want to overeat. I'm posting this so I can come back in a little while to say that I didn't eat anything while I was out, because that's the plan!

Edited to add: Success! Thanks, y'all. I can't think of anything else that would have worked at that moment.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-06-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #19  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up off once again

Coaches

I'm off to Ottawa once more to install a gallery show of my prints. I completed the ten prints over the last three days, though some were ready to print last week before my sister came. Today the printing was not easy. I am unsatisfied with the big ones I did and the afternoon ones had me try a different paper so now it's not all the same paper, though it is all white, but what worked for me two days ago did not work today. It's like that sometimes. And I am pretty exhausted so I don't have much gas in the tank to try this or that. It all pretty much needs to work at this point. The prints are still drying so I will wait until I am with my friend at her studio tomorrow afternoon to try to frame them. Yes. Yikes.

I am expecting to have two of my images censored. We'll see. While it is nothing risque, I forgot the gallery space caters to families and small children. I doubt anyone will actually see the work but some super sensitive humourless souls may complain. We'll see. It wouldn't be a show for me if something like this wasn't in the air!

Foodwise, another no sugar day! yay! That is all I am aiming for plus a limiting of crabs, (lol I did limit crabs as I had none, but what I meant to say was CARBS) which I did and generally eating less. All the boxes are ticked and I am ready for my trip.

gardenerjoy
Your kind words yesterday did much to lift my spirits and to begin putting all that behind me. You are an inspiration to me as well. So glad you are back here posting.

nationalparker Thank you as well for your kind words. I always know you are in my corner! It's a good feeling. Thank you.

to all!

Last edited by onebyone; 09-06-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

A rare check in from work. I am really struggling to break my rule of no sweets at work. The strike has been called for tomorrow. I am crossing the picket line in protest against the AMORAL union leadership. I could be the only one at the school doing so. Many teachers who feel the same way but they are simply calling in sick. I think I have more judgement against them than those who will be on the picket line for their beliefs. The kids are super amped up. And I got a call that my uncle doesn't have long left. So . . . the candy in the prize bucket is starting to look really important.

I will do what I did for my brother's visit (I was successful by the way): I will factor a cookie into my plan if I do not eat sweets while on campus.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by maryann; 09-07-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #21  
Green Tomatoes

Good luck, maryann! I'm thinking of you. I hope that posting here works as well for you as it did for me yesterday.

I'm also dealing with some emotional issues around an organization behaving in ways that don't feel right to me. But, with much fewer consequences. I have the option, and will probably take it, of not taking any stand at all rather than set up a confrontation. I'm not opposed to confrontation, but after working through it this morning, I realized that, at this point, I'd be engaging in the same kinds of behaviors that I'm objecting to. Until I can find a different path, I'm going to keep my observations to myself.

And, yeah, that makes me want to eat. Also, it's getting in the way of making decisions about what to work on. Oh, I just remembered that I have a tool for that, a priority grid. I'll employ that next and see where it takes me.

Weigh-in: NA
Exercise: +30, 220/1100 minutes for September
Food: 80% on-plan
Old 09-07-2016, 09:03 PM   #22  
Enjoying la bella vita

Another day OP ... now it's seeming like there is no challenge to staying on the plan (jinxing myself, I know) because of the No Choice ... I am planning to go off on Friday night, but only Friday night, and am trying to build in a plan for the two-plus days I'm on the road for work with plated meals for some of them next week. I'm not using much Beck knowledge here but the Oh well and No Choice are serving me fine right now. Scale was up a tiny bit today - expecting a couple of days of water weight gain, oh well. I know that will subside here in the next week.

Wore a pair of capris to work that I'd not worn there all summer. They're actually a bit roomy! Measured and waist is still down 2" ... hips are down 1" and over my abdomen where I REALLY want to lose weight is down 1" as well. Seems like I'm only finding 1/3 of the success DH is finding and he's committed to staying OP until he reaches his goal. I am worried I'll never get to mine. But it's not as if the food is unhealthy while I try to get there. This is the healthiest we've EVER eaten. Only things from the land, sea, earth and sky. I want to find a Fresh Thyme market this weekend to pick up a few alternative products (safflower mayo, sprouted grain or spelt pretzels, etc.) ... I didn't want to spend the $$ to buy too much to start with.

Good luck, Maryann - with crossing the picket line and teaching. Will the buses be running and the students there with subs?

OneByOne and GardenerJoy - Hello! Safe travels, OBOne and good luck with the gallery showing!
Old 09-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #23  
Green Tomatoes

I weighed myself for the first time since the first of the month. I think I've improved my eating as much as I'm likely to without the data from the scale telling me if I need to do better or not. This first data point says that I'm doing fine to start. Much of that was water weight so I'll need more data in the coming days to get this worked out.

Weigh-in: -1.05 kgs
Exercise: +40, 260/1100 minutes for September
Food: 80% on-plan

nationalparker: I love it when "Oh well" and "No choice" are firing on all cylinders. Good for you for making it happen!
Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #24  
Enjoying la bella vita

Another OP day ... another pound down for DH. I went down 1.2 pounds, so only 0.2 from my lowest so far last week. Pleased. We'll see how the rest of the week rolls ...

DH is excited and bought a weight bench and weights ... he's enthused about getting closer and closer to his goal.

Off to prep my sweet potato hash browns. Lots of food prep and DH is really lending a hand and I'm happy for the help. I just prepped his. Sweet potato counts as a veg on this listing and I'm THRILLED. I like sweet potatoes but not with butter, etc. And with potatoes and butter nixed for now, I'm enjoying these on the weekend.

Maryann - Hope the day at school went okay and without much harassment.

GardenerJoy - Congrats for continuing to refrain from eating in the car. I know that's a big temptation for you. Kudos!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #25  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Good Morning to Us All

Coaches

I'm calling this month No Sugar September. So far so good. Credit.

I'm back from my trip to put my prints on a wall in Ottawa. My work looked great. Better than good enough! I'm happy with the show.

Pictures were taken. Again. This time I did find a few clothing items and my body was ok but my face was round and sweaty and it was super hot and humid once more. Seems every time I am doing some public thing this summer it is over 38C. Oh well. The important this is my work is there and I did it. Big Credit. A few more things to wrap up today and then a fun outing with the ceramics guild tomorrow. We're all on a bus for the day visiting local potters within a 3hr radius. 4 studios and a stop for lunch where we have pre-ordered our food. I am vegan/vegetarian! Looking for something different.

Weighed in-credit-saw a rise: 272.9. OK. Ate a lot of salty things plus travel plus not enough water. Time to scale back and prepare to commit to a foodplan next week. I will be trying a low carb low glycemic index eating plan. My task will be full commitment for a month then re-assess.

nationalparker:
Great job, big credits, for continuing to follow your fast metabolism plan. Fabulous you are wearing things that were out of reach before! You give me hope. Thank you!

gardenerjoy:
I see your routines falling into place a bit at a time. Excellent. I am glad you (and others) have all mentioned the *work* of being on and sticking to a plan. It's like the myth of the "overnight success". Losing weight, getting thin, reaching goals, nothing happens overnight until you've put it all the work and made the ground ready for success. That is exactly what I see you doing and what I need to do as well. Kudos!

maryann:
I see you as such a brave person. A person of your convictions. I support you for being an independent thinker and then taking action. Crossing a picket line, being at odds with your co-workers that's stress-making but perhaps you will give strength to those who feel the same but can't take the action. Maybe they will. And very sorry to read your uncle is not well. Eating off plan will not help either situation. Multiple credits to you.

to readers and lurkers and those who are with us in thought and spirit.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #26  
Enjoying la bella vita

Quick check in as DH's folks will be with us this evening for dinner and bday celebrations. Scale was down 1.6 pounds to 166.6 today. I'm starting to believe in the power of the mind, because we're wrapping up the four weeks ... when we started out DH said he wanted to get as close to 20 pounds down as he could. I KNEW I wouldn't get near that point, so said oh, I'll be happy to be down 8 pounds - about 4-5 pounds more than I've lost in a month in the past years. I'm at 8 pounds down and DH is 16+. Anyway, thanks for listening to me stress and worry and gripe a bit about the incessant food planning and prep for the past four weeks. I know I'm heading into the phase where I tend to slide up a little bit on the scale but then back down with the healthy fats phase. I'm going to alter my mind process to think that I won't. We'll see haha.

Took a vacation day for my bday tomorrow and I have to hit the road Sunday evening for a work trip. Will do DH's food prep/meal plan with him so he's ready and we're both set for midweek.

OneByOne - We're recommitting for another month on our plan - let's tackle this together for this round with your commitment to the next month of your plan. Imagine getting partway into October with a strong start to the fall!
Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #27  
Green Tomatoes

Late check in but I didn't want to miss a day. I refrained from eating in the car only so that I could come here and celebrate the feat -- yay!

nationalparker: sweet potato hash browns sound yummy.

onebyone: No sugar September -- great idea! Have a great time on your bus tour.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Elias Howe patents sewing machine (Spencer, Mass, 1846)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Iceland lived up to its reputation of the land of fire and ice. Highlights included walking on a glacier, climbing to the ridge of a quiet volcano, and straddling the rift between the two tectonic plates that are spreading the country apart.

Food drifted and exercise was sporadic - either strenuous or lax. I'm still more jet lag'd to compose personals. Thanks to all who switched to the new month's thread.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 8 Holiday Traps

So many challenges can pop up during holidays. You might be invited to parties where other people are eating and drinking with abandon. People might bring you treats, either at the office or at home. Maybe you have a long-standing habit of overindulgence fueled by the sabotaging thought, "It's a holiday, so it's okay to let loose." You think you'll be happy if you let yourself eat freely. But is that really true? Think about the outcomes of a loss of control. Guilt, lower self-esteem, a drop in confidence, and an increase in weight will certainly put a damper on your celebrations. On the other hand, if you learn how to stay in control, you will probably enjoy the holidays much more. Prepare for common holiday traps to help you escape them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 151
Old 09-10-2016, 06:21 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Welcome Arizonagal

Arizonagal

And, on the occasion of your first post to 3 Fat Chicks,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3FC?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. These last two days have fundamentally changed my professional world. I was one of two teachers who crossed the picket line at my school. In a district of 720 teachers, 76 total showed up to work on Thursday. 85 did on Friday. Admin loaded me at 6:00 a.m. into a holding tank in the gym ( because my key had been taken.) Rather than watch the subs being shipped in, I put my headphones on and corrected papers for two hours. DH followed both day to make sure I was safe. The buses and the kids came later on to the basketball courts to avoid the picketers. For two days I have tought two different groups of 35 angry, defiant,, scared kids. Many looked me in the eye and said "I don't have to do this because it doesn't count." I replied, "It is learning. It is good stuff. You'll need it." Their response, "But it isn't graded." Wow. And my heart sunk while I asked them is that the only reason they come to school - to receive someone else's opinion.

Shining moments:
1. Quiet kids smiling during my activities - glad that there was peace in my room and not chaos as in others.
2. The librarians bringing me coffee and lattes , thanking me for being there.
3. Five custodians cleaned my room.
4. The way DS looks at me with respect.
5. A kid across the campus yelling "Hey, there is Mrs. D.. She's still here."
6. Gratitude from administration who gave me back my key, turned my internet back on, came by to check my room during the day.

Low moments:
1. Parents picking up there kids midday in the middle of my lessons because the kids had texted they were bored and their friends had already left for home.
2. Five minute "discussions" with kids who said their compromise was sitting in the classroom but they wouldn't do anything. Not an option was my bottom line.
3. Outrageous lies told by the union officials and peers about circumstances.
4. No hope for resolution in sight.

The biggest awakening: I was worried for months about what teachers would think of me. And now I couldn't careless. I am worried that I will never be able to forget how I feel about them right now. As they chant "We're all about children" from the outside, I am standing in the inside with their abandoned charges because they are holding out for a 13% raise in a time where every other district settled for 4% or less. I told DH this is my last year teaching. I am done with it. I have seen it all. I'll see this thing through and then find another work life that doesn't confront me with the worst of the human condition on a daily basis.

Final miracle: No sweets at work in September. There is always a silver lining.

Personals tomorrow when I stop being self centered and get back to "my center"

Last edited by maryann; 09-11-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Closed Thread