Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #136  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I thought that one weird check-in to say that I didn't eat a treat would be enough, but I should have done it again yesterday. Be prepared for frequent "I didn't eat...." check-ins. I'll see if I can keep them under 140 characters.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 07-30-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

The boys are off selling a box of melons at Tahoe. I have committed this weekend to eating on plan and exercise. I can do anything else or nothing else but i will stay on plan. I will check in frequently if i need to check in per gardenerjoy. I will weigh in and buy a scale on Monday.

Good news yesterday. DH got his new lab work and it was terrific. Six months ago he was scared straight by his Dr. because he had high cholesterol, put on BP meds, and showed pre diabetic blood sugar. He committed to changing his lifestyle and i promised to help. He began eating 2.5 ounces of walnuts with fruit as a breakfast and one serving of whatever I made for dinner. He stopped sodas and most candy runs. Although he only showed a drop of three pounds, his cholesterol dropped 40 POINTS!!!!! and his blood sugar is normal. The only thing that hasn't improved is BP and Doc says he will still have to lose more weight for that to happen. DH is determined. I am so proud of him. My big, brave farmer was terrified in the office waiting for the verdict. It just shows that lifestyle can change health. My labs were great even though my cholesterol was a little up from normal. But the HDL was super good. BP was 93 over 55 which means my heart beats every other day Onward we step toward healthy and happy.

Piano tuner is here. Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 07-30-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #138  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! Got a lot accomplished in small bursts today. Dog to vet; check. She is most likely blind in one eye with a situation that has been coming on, not due to age, but she doesn't miss a crumb that drops, so not worried. We're keeping an eye on that eye, but no plans for a prosthetic eye. (This might be why DH gets a bit aggravated bc that wouldn't have even come UP at his country vet.) Then some time at home going through a postal box that was left to me by my Nana - a lot of gems in there. I have some that I'll mail to family members - excited to do that. One from a cousin's mom says how she hates to leave her daughter's home with the new baby - she will miss them so much. Her mom just passed away two months ago, so that will be a nice treat to have. They range from 1940s to current, some mailed, some not. I'm enjoying perusing them. Then onto errands. We had a gift card to a steakhouse, so decided to use it for lunch. I looked up online and we planned our main meal for lunch. We got there and all of a sudden realized the gift card is to another place, starting (logan's vs. longhorn. Oops) ... I had the soup/salad lunch and brought the salad home and DH had it for dinner. It had feta cheese and I don't eat that at ALL. bleh. Once I thought of stinky feet with it on my food and now that's all I can smell. Mental.

Did some oddball marketing - wine, sauce ingredients, etc., and will run out for the ground chicken and turkey tomorrow morning. Scale is UP. I will have to just accept that I'm likely back to starting point and focus on week #3.

Found this card in a small journal I'd taken home when caring for my parents. I pulled it out and will keep it handy.
- Less is enough.
- If not now, when?
- I control this
- Care
- Change, not chance
- choices to be proud of
- Recognize wrong path early.

I still think all of those fit my needs now and the timing of finding that was perfect.

Enjoying making my Italy plans - DH said for me to do the planning on this and as a wannabe travel agent, yay! We're starting in Florence for several days and it will always be too little time there for me, before scooting around. Instead of saying we're backtracking to a town, I'm going to call it "revisiting" it. We'll see how that rolls haha.

I've cut up a bunch of overripe strawberries for dessert. I'm loving this fresh fruit season. Hoping to post personals in the morning and then a full check in tomorrow evening. In the meantime, Marynn - WONDERFUL news on DH's appointment and cholesterol reading.

Last edited by nationalparker; 07-30-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:19 AM   #139  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Jimmy Hoffa disappears (Detroit, 1975)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Leftover lamb kebabs for dinner on the patio. CREDIT moi for sane eating. I had a chance to overindulge at a late afternoon meeting where snacks sat on the table for two hours. I made choices - good ones but not quite as good as the two year old who ate hummus and carrots non-stop.

Walked, CREDIT moi, stopping to get my hair cut. I arrived home soaking wet from the humidity. I later took my car twice for errands just to avoid more sweating. By evening, it had cooled enough that DW wanted to go inside since her T-shirt wasn't warm enough.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – We should do a week of 140 character posts - just to see if we're able to select from our thoughts.

maryann - Congrats to your DH for making the changes that reduced his cholesterol.

nationalparker – LOL at the gift card confusion - that's something I could do. I just picture Florence when I read of your planning.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#4: The Vegas Mind-Set Trap

Karen's traditional mind-set had been, "I'm going on vacation. I deserve to loosen up. I don't want to ruin my trip by having to watch everything I eat." She told me it felt good to feel free to eat whatever she wanted. When I questioned her more closely, though, she realized that unrestrained eating didn't feel completely good. She actually felt guilty quite a lot. "And," she reflected, "when I have a big lunch, I feel heavier in my body. I feel pretty self-conscious when I change into a bathing suit and go to the beach.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 142

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-01-2016 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #140  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile We probably have 140 characters right here, right now :)

Coaches

Market day today. Yesterday's market was not bad. I went to bed at 7:30pm and got up at 7:12am. It has been nonstop work for me. It looks like it will be scheduled to teach a relief printmaking workshop to the artist group i am a part of. I had said I would begin teaching and it looks like opportunities are there. I just have to accept that I am someone who does that now. As practice I already have two informal students. Both have begun to make prints and are happy and eager to continue and both say I can teach. So there you go. A new revenue stream opens up.

Foodwise. Tough month for me. Down almost a pound since the start of July. Was aiming for 4. My backup goal was to stay below 270. So I did manage that. Credit.

DH is giving up the Coke Zero this weekend. This means he is serious now about weightloss. That will just help me as well though it's not as though we are in sync these days. I'm going to ask for his thoughts re:meals and what or how he would like to eat but I expect no real direction or requests will be offered. I do have a foodplan I'd like to try out but this month is unpredictable and challenging. Three Ottawa trips. Two to deal with my father's ashes and then interment. Third visit is my own pleasure trip to hang an informal print show with my printmaking group there. And I'll catch up on what my friends are up to. On the way back I'm going to check in with current friends who are moving away this week. By the end of next month I'll be able to visit them in their new place. Really looking forward to that! We are forming big art plans.

But today: market day. Need to eat breakfast. Will buy cheeseburger for lunch at market. Supper is unclear. What is clear is I am making veggie juice tonight before the greens I bought yesterday wilt even more. Juicing vegetables was one of the best additions I have made to my diet ever.

Better go.
Have a good day, Becksters.

PS Billblueeyes and gardenerjoy... I'm in for 140 character check-ins. Let's try that!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 AM   #141  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Week #2 results - +0.6 pound. I said to DH there should be no surprise or frustration in that because I did not work at it to get down. Bypassing things I normally don't eat ANYWAY will not get me lower. It might help me not gain a great deal extra, but not get lower. So, a hunkering down and embarking on Week #3. Temptation was there to try weighing again tomorrow to see if I get a number I find more pleasing.

Beautiful morning here, sunny and clear, though still. I thought there was a nice breeze but it was the AC that cranked on, so will either turn it off or shut the windows. I love my mornings and decided maybe instead of taking full days off, some days I should take just mornings off, but we're closing in on the time when we have to push data every morning, so that won't work. Better cram them in.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #142  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm back from Washington and California. I don't even remember if I've posted at all during the past 2 weeks, but I have read your posts. My trip to Washington was busy as I was seeing a different friend during each day of the week and then back to my brothers. Dh flew up on Friday 7/22 and then we flew back together on 7/24. I quickly finished my packing for the backpacking trip and left on 7/25 at 4:30 a.m. for Mammoth Lakes, CA.

On 7/26 we drove to the area where we caught the shuttle to the trailhead and began our hike. Our packs were heavy, 35 pounds. Some of that was the weight of the bear canister and food and then just things we though we should have like jackets and rain jackets which we didn't use, but wouldn't go without. The weather was warm and it was pretty buggy. I sprayed my clothing with Permethrin before I left home and I think it helped quite a bit. The mosquitos swarmed around Carrie. I got some bites, even in spite of Deet, but they barely raised and didn't itch, thank goodness. We only hiked about 8 miles each day the first 2 days, but then 11 and 10 miles the next two days. The heat made it more difficult and Carrie had some headaches in spite of getting there a couple days early to acclimatize. We decided to get off the trail at Tuolumne Meadows which is at about 8600 feet, rather than continue another 2 days to the Valley at 4000 feet. It would only get hotter and of course the Yosemite Valley is like Disneyland with the people. The scenery was nothing short of spectacular I would love to do more of the trail, but I think I might prefer doing it with a group, maybe the Sierra club.

I'm happy to be home and will do some shopping today. Dh did not go to the grocery store at all while I was gone and the fridge is bare. I'm really craving fruits and veggies after a few days with almost none. I probably lost a pound or two, but will get on the scale tomorrow after I lose a little more water weight. My feet and legs are still a little swollen from hiking and the 10 hour ride home in the car.

Nationalparker I'm hunkering down with you. I didn't have MFP because I didn't have cell service, so will start back on that also.

Onebyone It sounds like teaching will be a great opportunity for you. Good luck at the market today.

Bill It's even humid here today. We had thunder, lightening and rain in the night. It was 84 and humid when I got up. Oh, I do prefer the dry heat.

Maryann I saw your post about your hikes and I am proud of you. I hope you enjoyed it. Also glad to hear your husbands test are good.

GardenerJoy Would love to hear how the frequent check ins help. I've got to really focus on a bit of a weight loss before 8/17. Even a few pounds would be great so I look better in the dress I plan to wear for a wedding.

Waving to Loves2garden and the Amazing Lexxis.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #143  
Green Tomatoes

The only errand I expect to run today is now planned. It might help to remind myself that every errand is planned, at least for a few minutes before I exit the door. That's a few minutes when I can ask myself "Am I hungry? Would it work to have a snack before I leave? Am I going to eat anything while I'm out?" At least 80% of the time the answer to that last question should be "no." And that's the answer today.

nationalparker: This is a reality that I have a hard time grasping: "Bypassing things I normally don't eat ANYWAY will not get me lower."
Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was completely OP. I realize when I eat according to what I know works, I am not hungry or craving. My stomach feels pleasantly empty by the end of the day. When I slip and slide I am fighting craving every minute. The Devil rests on my shoulder. I am planning another day just like it and will weigh in at WW tomorrow and buy another scale. I am nervous about the number. It has been years since I have gone two weeks without some kind of scale accountability. Clothes feel ok and I have made such progress with exercise that no matter what - tomorrow will be a win.

I watched a thought provoking movie, 45, that had me awake at 4:00 a.m. this morning thinking. Glad I watched it without DH. He hates movies with lots of space and little dialogue. I also started a new book, Molokai, about the leper colony. Finally, I downloaded an app game the is sentence diagramming. I am trying to catch up on all that picky grammar stuff I forgot while I was building remedial programs. Credit for Beck's distractions that challenge the mind.

Credit for planning for healthy food when i go back full time in a couple of weeks. I have ordered a pressure cooker. I have thought about it for a long time and am a little scared. I did the research, though, and feel it will really help with healthy meals. I asked for a foodsaver for our anniversary to freeze lots of the meals I plan to make. DH is on board with anything. I want one bean meal a week and one salad meal a week. I can always have some extra starch and smoothies for DS who certainly needs more calories than the two of us do. We are grateful he is a very healthy and adventurous eater.

Karen: i grew up going to Mammoth for summers. You are right. It is breathtakingly beautiful but there is a reason they call parts Mosquito Flats.
Nationalparker: As gardenerjoy said, your words resonated with me about not getting credit for foods I don't eat anyway. I could eat a box of Sees candy and leave twenty boxes on the shelves. That will not help me meet my goals. I'd rather be thinner.

Last edited by maryann; 07-31-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:47 PM   #145  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Hi everyone,

I have been MIA for awhile. I think last I posted my wrist had just started hurting, It looks like it may be serious, potentially surgical, and it hurts to type, so limited posting - typing with one hand. I completely went off the rails for awhile, got back from vacation late last night and restarted today. Good day to resart as I have very Little appetite today. Our flight home was a nightmare and by the time we got home I has been awake for 48 hours. Didnt have any interest in food until about 3 pm.

Had a good time in hawaii, got a second wrist brace so I could have a "wet sandy" brace and a dry, clean brace. went snorkeling and got a really good close up of a green turtle. You arent allowed to get too close to them as they are protected, but he swam right up to me.

Up about 3 lbs, mostly from the pre-vacation pity fest.

OY! I went back to see how long it was since I had posted. 7/13!!! Wow a lot happened since then. My mom's partner threatened to leave her which caused major panic as she can not live alone, none of the kids live near her, we were all traveling at the same time, and partner has total control over mom's finances. Partner isnt leaving currently which is equally stressful because I think it was just a bully passive/aggressive move on her part.

I have 8 pages to read!

Last edited by ennay; 07-31-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #146  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Hello Becksters: I stop by and ‘lurk’ often, and find this site is more helpful than others I browse on the 3FC forums. I’ve GOT to do something, so I’m ready to start back with Beck and the things that worked for me 4 years ago. Nice and clean to start on the first day of August!
A revelation: I always try to start everything at once; eating, exercise, water, etc. and the experts say do one thing at a time and get good at that and then add another thing. Well, right now is a great time to get on a healthy eating course because most exercise is not possible now until the Physical Therapist gives the OK for recovery from foot problems. Second reason: school starts in 22 days so let’s get some good habits started before I fall into last year’s lousy patterns!
Excellent trip to the farmer’s market yesterday so I’m set up with some amazing vegetables and huge berries. Tonight’s job: clean the kitchen, and that doesn’t mean wash the dishes: evacuate everything tempting and not healthy—easier to do these days because DH is celiac and gluten free so the only one nibbling on those cookies, crackers, etc is ME…get ‘em out of here!
Tomorrow morning I'll do an official weigh in and change my numbers.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #147  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the August 2016 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 08-01-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Closed Thread