Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 06:20 AM   #76  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Catcher in the Rye published (1951)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Saw the movie Finding Dory with DW. The animation was terrific. Ellen DeGeneres did a great voice of Dory. Our goal was to escape the 94 degree F heat until the evening cooled. The good news was that there were few people in the theatre - I was concerned that we'd spend the time with screaming kids. Moral: Girls can do what they set their minds to do. Yep, it was an inexpensive way to cool down before we had dinner on the patio.

Exercise was climbing about my house with the "Site Auditors" from the solar panel company. The auditors climb and measure, note that panels can't go where sewer vents penetrate the roof ("We're rather fond of our bathrooms"), moan that trees exist and worry that my house is three stories. "That's a long way up for the installers." "It's closer to the sun," I helpfully responded. This could really happen. More importantly, I'm driven to evaluate if it's time to replace the roof shingles which have suffered under New England sun and snow for a bunch of years.

onebyone – A written food plan does seem to help with the angst about what to eat. Good luck avoiding stress from dealing with your sister.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super celebration for your sister's remission after two years. I admire that you can pick more raspberries than you eat.

maryann - Yay for getting a box of peaches at the peak of their season. We're savoring the ones we have right now.

nationalparker – Chicken limone is one of my favorite dishes. I shudder at the thought of how large a huge container of Roma Tomatoes from Sam's might be, LOL. Kudos for the bike time.

Karen (karenrn) - Freezing mac-and-cheese is a great way to get it out of sight. Leftover mac-and-cheese in the fridge calls to me big time.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Cleanup Crew Trap

Giving in leads to negative consequences, which you are probably trying not to think about at the moment of temptation. But the consequences are very real. You will make it harder for yourself to stay in control the next time. You will consume extra calories, which will slow your weight loss or lead to a weight gain. You will put a damper on your after-the-restaurant experience.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 135
Old 07-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Drat this tablet. Lost message.
Karen: I can't enlarge pictures either. Maybe BBE holds the secret.
Nationalparker: a goal is a wonderful thing. You can do it.
Onebyone: I am an emotional eater as well. It is very difficult but important to put yourself first.

OP and DS is home today. I will take time to make a batch of spaghetti sauce and fresh bread. I am finishing "The Screwtape Letters." Credit for gym.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #78  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good day so far - food seems indulgent but have been tracking and it is not. Just the treat of puff pastry baked up to have with fresh strawberries but had less than a portion, so I'm not going to entertain the sabotaging thought that I'm already off plan. Healthy breakfast and lunch and got on the bike already today. We did a trail walk last night as the sun was setting; nice to pick that back up again. I'm hopeful that the foot pain dissipates before too much longer.

Plan for dinner is to go out to the little pizza spot we love. I always start with the salad I love - mixed greens with peppadew peppers, pistachios, etc. and it all blends so well. I would like to go with the wood fired as I think it is healthier - I can make smart choices even if DH wants the regular one (which I believe has more cheese, and I would never ask for less cheese in all honesty...).

Gorgeous day here. Talked with my brother on the phone for a long time. Good to catch up! I miss him. Plans are in discussion stage for us to visit them over Labor Day.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #79  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,
No real exercise today, but I did clean the three bathrooms in anticipation of being gone for most of 2 weeks. Other than that, finished up some ironing, finished packing for Washington and a few other odds and ends related to the backpacking trip. Food on plan so far today, but I know we're going out for dinner with a friend. It's half price burger night, but I'll see if I can find something lower cal, not eat all of it, or at least get a side salad and no fries.

My flight to Portland, OR leaves at 7:45 tomorrow which is nice because it puts me in the cool by 10:15 or so. I'll spend the day and night with my brother and sister in law before heading north in the morning. It's actually going to be a pretty quick trip, but will be fun to see my friends and family.

I'll have my phone with me, but no computer, so my posts will depend on how frustrated I get with typing on the phone or using the voice memo function. I am hoping I can stay busy enough that I'm not thinking about food. Coming home a few pounds less would be a very good thing.

I'll be reading if not posting.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - An Apollo spaceship docked with a Soyuz (Space, 1975)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Somewhat surprised to see 30 species on our bird walk, CREDIT moi, in the morning. July isn't prime time to see birds. A Green Heron caught us by surprise for the treat of the day.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, including our first gazpacho of the year, on the patio. I visited a friend who installed solar panels last year. He sold $500 of electricity back to the power company last year. I'm impressed. Took him for a ride in my electric vehicle - just his sort of thing.

maryann - Kudos for gym. [Alas, your Avatar picture is 110 pixels by 147 pixels - that's all there is.]

nationalparker – Super Kudos for the insight, "not going to entertain the sabotaging thought that I'm already off plan."

Karen (karenrn) - Waving back toward Portland. Half price burger would surely tempt me.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the Cleanup Crew Trap

How do you want to feel when you leave?
  • Establish a firm guideline of not eating other people's food unless you've planned in advance to do so.

• Initiate a habit of ordering what you want for yourself, so you can end the struggle of "That looks so good. I really want it," and replace it with "I'm only eating what I ordered."

• If what you order is highly caloric, or you're served too large a portion, plan to eat just part of it.

• If you're tempted by your dining companions' food, remind yourself that it is unlikely this will be the only opportunity in your life to have this food. You'll undoubtedly have a chance to have it again.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 136
Old 07-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #81  

Phone check in.

Computer is ready. I'll pick it up Tuesday. Food tracked yesterday. Credit. Fruit is free in WW. I know if I cut it down I would lose. I am willing to limit myself for today. Walked yesterday. Hopefully family bike ride today.
Old friend called to plan a spa day. I suggested a hike first. She has set up a four hour round trip to a waterfall. Credit for my suggestion.😄

Good luck on your travel Karen.
Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 07-17-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #82  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Hellos

Coaches

Took a day off today. Have not had a full day off in a while. Lots of half days but no full ones. Today's been good.

I juiced a whole bunch of green veggies. I have one juice.in the fridge for tomorrow. I've had my share for today. And there is one in the freezer foe the day after and.the day after that. Feels good to be doing g the right thing g for me. I'm back I to cutting back on the carbs again but ate both my pint containers of blueberries. Yikes. So good though. Credit for good food. But minus a few bits for offplan consumption of second pint.

Cooked from.scratch and I'm drinking my water. All is well. Scale rose.this morning again, inching further into 270(270.8). Seeing that made me redouble my efforts. I do want to see weightloss progress. I just want to be smaller and.healthier.

Have a good Sunday.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Nero’s Rome burns (Rome, 64 A.D.)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – There was a mix up in the date of an appointment causing me to drive eleven miles and back pointlessly. I was even more annoyed when I was told, "It's not as if you had to drive all the way from Maine or something." Customer bedside manner isn't all that strong these days. The good news is that I found a full pound box of blueberries to improve our dwindling stock in the fridge.

Standard Sunday walk with DW, CREDIT moi, even with the blazing sun. I amuse myself this morning by asking the Nissan Headquarters in Japan how well my electric car is charging in my driveway. Nissan Japan responds that it's 83% charged via the magic of internet connectivity and cell phone connectivity to my car. Of course, not believing in such technology, I looked out the window to check the flashing lights on the dash to verify that it is so.

onebyone – Both pints of blueberries seems right to me; the season isn't going to be here forever. Kudos for redoubling your efforts.

maryann - Four hours is a gutsy hike, Kudos for such a plan.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#3: Limited Food Options Trap

Joe, a marketing executive, travels often for work, flying all around the country. As a result of frequent business dinners, unhealthy room service, and junky airport food, he has gained over forty pounds in the past ten years. When Joe first came to see me, he told me he was fed up with his increasing waistline but felt helpless to stop it. His wife was a healthy eater and cook, so eating at home wasn't usually a problem for him. Traveling was when he seemed to lose control.

"The problem starts right at the airport," he told me. "I'm always rushing, and I don't have time to look for healthy food, so I just grab fast food. It goes downhill from there."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 136
Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #84  

I will never do the tablet again. Lost everything. My computer will be home tomorrow so now it is phone.

Two hour bike ride. 90% food was weighed and measured. Today is Pilates. Read Dont Let Me Go. Not prepared for disturbing nature. Today I will read light hearted mystery.

So glad gardenerjoy suggested Good Reads. I have read 24 books this year that I started logging in in April. It goes with my goal of Challenging myself intellectually as a food distraction which believes me doesn't take much.

Wave to all.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #85  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

I weighed in this morning and took my smoothie to work. No time to eat at work today it's been very busy. I had a couple of french fries and took the corner off a cheap pastry that was sitting there. Credit for not taking the whole thing. After the first bite I thought it through and it wasn't worth it. Dinner tonight is the same as last night. Quinoa, cooked beet greens, an egg and toast. SF chocolate pudding for dessert. Of course, my banana before bed. It's one of those days where having a plan really helps as I wanted something less healthy when it came time to think about dinner. Credit.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #86  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello, all! I strayed today, but regrouped with a lighter dinner and used the rest of a rotisserie chicken, so counting it as an even day. I was lured in by, of all things, key lime pie gourmet popcorn that was from a gathering at work. Never heard of it but it was decadent and I overindulged. If still there tomorrow, I will deem it stale and not even try it.

Big meeting at work tomorrow, and have breakfast and lunch ordered for the group. I need to dress up for this meeting, too ... thought of that today. I keep trying to come up with one more and one more day to take vacation at work. This is the time when it's pretty easy to get a day or more off.

I didn't realize that I never checked in yesterday. Biked and did fairly well, so was frustrated at the scale jump. Was down in the 174s and then back up to 176.6 today. Kept busy all weekend, it seemed.

Lexxiss - KUDOS for only a pastry corner. It's so hard to stop on stuff like that.

Bill - I wish you'd have replied, "what makes you think I drove here ... yes, it was an inconvenience for someone walking." You never actually SAID you didn't drive haha ... but I commiserate with you. I never remember thinking, "SERIOUSLY?" so much in my life as interactions with some businesses now.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #87  
persist

Thumbs up

Super fast check-in ...

Last day spent on art business class stuff. Started getting my"passive revenue streams" set up online. I'm actually exactly on time according to my business plan. All this inspite of all my inner turmoil over it.

Foodwise, well are steadily improving. I had the willingness and ability to cut out extra carbs today AND cut the quantity of food AND drink my water. A stellar day. In the past I'd have indulged my stress with food. Change is happening. At least it did today. We will try again anon.

Last edited by onebyone; 07-19-2016 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #88  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Full Moon - Rosetta Stone discovered (Egypt, 1799)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to the dentist, CREDIT moi, where we compared my Nissan Leaf to his wife's BMW i3 electric car. I got reminded, one more time, that talking to a dentist is the pits. We start out equally verbal until the moment when I could only grunt. So, for half of the conversation, his opinion dominated the discussion, LOL.

We did dinner on the patio despite threat of rain. It did rain, drops and drops worth of rain. Our new reality is that our rain is like the cowboy with "All hat and no cattle," introduced to this forum a few years ago. We got an emergency email reminding us that any city-owned tree in the front of our house desperately needs water - the city can't possibly keep up with the watering demands.

onebyone – Yay for tending to the business end of your art.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I do like your routine, "Of course, my banana before bed."

maryann - Kudos for that many books on Good Reads without creating a stack of physical books that need to be dealt with.

nationalparker – Good luck at your big meeting today. The thought of "key lime pie gourmet popcorn" just boggles the mind.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#3: Limited Food Options Trap

I mentioned to Joe that I had seen a real change in airport food in the past few years. Now there are usually lots of healthy options. I suggested that if he couldn't get to the airport earlier next time, he could always get a prepackaged sandwich and a piece of fruit. When Joe agreed, I asked him to write a reminder card for his next trip:
Since I want to lose weight, I need to get a healthy
sandwich at the airport. It doesn't take any more
time. Fast food always makes me feel guilty and
greasy, and it will made the time sitting on the
airplane that much more unpleasant.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #89  
persist

Thumbs up Pleasant surprises. May they continue today.

Coaches

Terrible horrible start to my day today with the Caesar cat barfing not once, not twice but four times. At 4am, and then at 5am. He was ravenously hungry inbetween. I. didn't want to feed him because his tummy was bad, but he wouldn't let me sleep because his tummy was empty. I ended up poaching a boneless skinless chicken thigh for him. Yes, I know. Spoiled kitty. Even after that, he'd doze on my lap and I'd nod off sitting up in the loveseat with him on my lap then he'd get restless again. I did a record amount of kitty brushing. He just calmed down and is now happily napping. To my relief, he has kept the chicken down. He probably ate some plant or something. He does that and he also likes to eat cobwebs (yuk), and chew on the broom's bristles (yuk). Drives me nuts! But I love him very much.

So I really needed to be well rested, instead though I am keyed up because tonight is the night: final presentation night for our Artrepreneur Art Business class. My two minute "off the cuff" talk to accompany my four slides, to be done in 2 minutes happens tonight. Also picture taking happens tonight. Snacks laid out for the crowd happen tonight too. The evening is officially 3 hours long from 6-9 but I need to be there before 5 to get my half-a-table display set up. I have yet to choose my items but I will. I also have to memorize my talk. I will do that too, though I am nervous I will forget. My written words are so different from my regular speaking words that I am getting flummoxed. See? Would only rarely say that to someone if regular conversation. I'd say "I'm getting messed up." Very different.

Scale was very kind and generous to me this morning. A loss of 3.3lbs right when I needed an emotional boost. Thank you scale. Credit for weighing. The credit goes to a written foodplan though and closing the kitchen at 8. I've been diligent with this for a week now and also with the green juice/serious uptake in vegetables. Yesterday I did not have bread or processed foods and I drank more than 8cups of water, probably closer to 12. I've done that a lot too since for whatever reason the containers I bought for storing my juice really suit me. They hold 4cups but seem like nothing. It is not hard for me to drink the four cups in there. I should get a couple more of those containers.

Ok better go. Lots to do today on little sleep. I'll sleep like a little tiny baby tonight
Old 07-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #90  

Phone check in. Two Dr. Appts in town. I have made a plan to pack lunch and bring a book to pass time rather than too much shopping.

I tracked all food even the meal out last night which was super indulgent. I have officially followed WW for two months and have lost two pounds. Hmmm. Looking at the postives - I have eaten a ton more fruit and veggies; I have increased my exercise, I have weighed consistently. I am going to stick with this plan making minor adjustments to see if I can speed up weight loss. Dr's appt yesterday said my numbers look terrific from my blood work. Cholesterol fabulous, etc . . . Blood pressure was 92 over 55. All that is missing is the scale number drop. Hmmmmm. Today is the day to practice denying myself that sweet treat that is forcing maintenance.

Last edited by maryann; 07-19-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Closed Thread