Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #16  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

A week ago today, I spent the day in the Emergency Room with DH -- the problem turned out to be appendicitis. He had an appendectomy on Tuesday. Fortunately, these days, that's a laparoscopic procedure. I brought him home from the hospital on Wednesday around noon and he's been improving every day since.

There were a couple of days in there when I had limited access to food and limited appetite. Since then, though, I've been catering to his stomach's needs which has included several unexpected errands. Unfortunately, unexpected errand-running is a trigger for me and I haven't done at all well with it.

We're getting past that phase now, I think, and it's time for me to regroup. Glad to be back here with you all to do that.

Happy Independence Day to the USians among us!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Default Phone check in

Happy 4th
Scale arrived yesterday and no drop in weight. All I can think is all the things I didn't
eat. Plus tracking and trying to walk. This morning up one and a half pounds after 10 points over. So tracking for two weeks is no loss. One day of over is a pound and a half gain. Ok. Now I'm ready to say Oh well. Thought about trying to go extreme low today but that is setting myself up. Nope. Just another day of tracking. By consenting to be bound I'm free.

Last edited by maryann; 07-04-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #18  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches

Good to see you GardenerJoy and glad to hear your husband is recovering. I once saw one of the physicians I worked with as a patient in the ER, when I was there with my husband. He had a perforated appendix and looked horrible. He was so darn sick. Glad your husband caught the problem before it got that bad.

Bill It sounds like you have been pretty busy with plumbing projects lately. It sure is great that you are able to fix them yourself, it would likely be pretty costly if you couldn't.

Nationalparker Sounds like a nice relaxing day for you yesterday. I'll have to check out the Valley Uprising.

I've had an odd start to my day. I woke up at 2:30 in kind of a panic about getting ready for my backpacking trip. I don't leave until 7/25. I got up and got on the computer to do a little research for a few hours. Finally at 7 ish I went back to bed and slept for an hour and a half. I should remember not to worry about things in the middle of the night. During the daylight things always seem less scary and stressful.

I'm going to be in Washington 7/17 until 7/24 and then I will drive over to Mammoth Lakes on 7/25. Therefore essentially I need to be packed and ready before I leave for Washington except for last minute food purchases. The bear can takes quite a bit of room in the back so I need to be very careful about what I take. Anyway, it's time to make a list and get a little bit done each day. Today I will repackage my first aid kit/medication packet. I don't take much.

I did get up and get some housework done and likely will have some pool time this afternoon. It's 100 degrees now at 10:15 and looks like it is going to be about 108 all week. Tomorrow I'll get out for an early walk and then my class at the Y.

I got on the scale this morning and it was 143. I didn't really have a clue what it would be. I need to try to be careful these next two weeks and hope to get down below 140 if possible. I hope to find a new pair of shorts and a couple of tops before I go to Washington. Hiking shorts and tee shirts just don't cut it while I'm there visiting.

This morning I did make myself a couple of pancakes, but ingredients were measured and logged into MFP. I felt like it was something if I didn't allow myself I would likely be eating too much of something else instead of just having what I wanted. They were great and I was satisfied.

Happy 4th of July everybody!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #19  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

maryann My scale and your scale are in cahoots. I am coming up on 2 weeks of no movement on the scale. I may need to make dh weigh so I can be sure the numbers are not just painted on.

gardenerjoy Hope dh's recovery goes smoothly. The unexpected stuff is always a big trigger for me, good luck getting back on track

karenrn ack! And why is it always ~2:30 or 3:00 that the brain does that? Have fun in Washington when you are there. Given what you are used to, you probably need a few fleece to visit up here!

BBE awesome job on the plumbing. I need to do something about my outside faucets, but never quite seem to get around to it.

We took the kids up to Mt. St. Helens yesterday and hiked for a bit. It's a long drive for us so lots of restaurant food. It was a bit of an impulse trip so no time to shop for packable food. We ended up with great weather, I was worried on the way up because it got cold and rainy and we were not dressed for that, but it warmed up just enough that we were not too hot, not too cold.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #20  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Brief check-in before bed. We zipped downtown mid-Risk game (I was losing so no great loss of momentum of troops ) to see the fireworks, shrouded in low-hanging drizzly clouds. I know DH wanted to go, so suggested it and he jumped on it. I didn't really want to get out, but it was time well-spent together.

Credits - got on bike and rode for 45 minutes. Again, not burning up on speed but did it. Ate great breakfast and lunch was splitting my leftover Thai with DH. Dinner was at home - I ate too much but portions i served myself weren't grand. But still I could have gone lighter. Scale at ticker today. Clothes are tight, though. I get frustrated when I accidentally dry something that isn't loose - then the next time I wear it, it's TIGHT and I auto think, I'm getting fatter, when it could be a combo of smaller clothes that shrank and me a bit plumper. Oh well... Mentioned to DH that I'd like to go south to the outlet mall (it's about an hour and a half away) to look for tops at Eddie Bauer. We'll see if i get there. He's always up for anything. A good day today. Aiming for better note and personals tomorrow. Just wasn't on here much today.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Bikini introduced (Paris, 1946)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Our planned walk got put off when we realized how hot it was. So off we went to the Museum of Fine Arts. I was delighted to get a FREE parking space where we normally have to pay a steep rate - totally oblivious that the reason was that the MFA was closed for July 4th. Everyone else knew, or was at the beach of at Fenway Park watching the Red Sox. Oh well. We toured a rose garden in the Fenway. It took a gardener to be impressed since we were about a month late for peak rose blossom season. DW read each label and examined the dying remains of each variety. It wasn't exactly the aerobic walk that I'd expected.

Dinner on the patio was crab salad - our Fourth of July tradition. This year we ate it on a plate of lettuce rather than our traditional Pita bread - CREDIT moi for small steps to sane eating. I made up for any calorie gain by the volume of fresh cherries for dessert. They're only here for their season. (Feel free to note that that was a Sabotaging Thought, LOL.)

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Hope your DH continues to heal rapidly. Unexpected errands, like most unexpected events, can get me out of sync, also.

maryann - Thanks for the reminder, "By consenting to be bound I'm free." Hope you are enjoying LA.

nationalparker – Seems to me that almost any meal at home is more likely to be within bounds than at a restaurant. Hope you had good fireworks.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for pancakes - occasionally and in moderation.

ennay - Mt. St. Helens has been on my Bucket List ever since the eruption of 1980. Kudos for doing a spontaneous trip with hiking.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#1: The 24/7 Treat Trap

"You're right," Kate said. "The food isn't the onlly special part." Kate made the following reminder cards:
When I eat out, decide in advance what to order -
and stick to it. Even if I think I'm really hungry
and won't be satisfied, that's not true. I'm always
satisfied!
The food is just one aspect of eating out. Even if
what I get doesn't feel as exciting as the specials,
it's still good food that I like. And every other part
of eating out is still special (spending time with
Matthew and the kids, not having to cook or serve
or clean up, the decor, people-watching).
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 132
Old 07-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #22  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default still truckin'

Coaches

I am busy maintaining 270/271. Today was a 270 day (270.4).
My biggest issue is non-commitment to a formal foodplan. And being busy then exhausted all day long. Once more I am busy and my presence is demanded at the guild but once this last (surprise) firing is done around noon I am "free" for the day: have to unload the car from Sunday and then do homework for art business class-due last night at midnight. THEN I can relax a bit. Food, foodplans, are really coming in a distant 3 or 4 and I am fortunate I am maintaining. Credit for doing something right.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:38 PM   #23  

Good morning coaches,

All I've got to say is holy moly I am a lazy slug. I think I'll use the heat as an excuse. I really had to talk myself into going to my class at the Y this morning, but I did get there and was so glad. I didn't do any elliptical or anything else though. I will really try to get there tomorrow for the elliptical before I leave for Flagstaff which isn't until afternoon. Food has been okay, but not great.

Onebyone I hate to say it but being busy sounds good to me. I don't really have anything I have to do just now except the basics around the house. I'm just glad I have some get aways that I need to be prepared for.

Bill Crab salad sounds delicious. What kind of crab do you have there? I just love the Dungeness crab we had in Washington. I'll hope to have some when I'm up there. Somehow seafood just doesn't seem right in Phoenix.

Nationalparker We only listened to the fireworks. I suppose we could have seen some of them from the front yard, but we were watching the Boston Pops. We were both discussing that of the 4 dogs we've had, none of them were unnerved by the fireworks or storms. By next year, we'll have a pup again. That will be so nice.

Ennay I did a nice hike with my brother and family at Mt. St. Helens when I was up there last year. We went out by Cougar. It was a really nice hike. Have you ever gone to Merwin Dam? We used to go there almost daily when I was a kid. It's on the way to Mt. St. Helens.

Maryann How long is your get away? It's a bummer that the scale isn't showing a drop, but we always know if we follow the plan it will. My problem is following the plan.

Dh will be home for lunch soon. I think I'll at least get the bed made before he shows up and sees what little I've gotten done.

Happy Tuesday that feels like a Monday!
Old 07-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #24  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

karenrn I haven't. There was a lot of nice looking hiking around there, but it is almost a 3 hour drive each way for us. I need to do better getting the kids out to some of the good hiking near where I live. There is a lot of it,I just never think of it until too late in the day, but dd really likes hiking. I need to find the trail my friend and I used to do every couple months. It's been decades so I cant remember what it was.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

Hot and muggy today. Did I mention muggy? Phew. What a change that rolled in. Did well OP today and rode bike for 45 mins this morning. Well, 46, but I wasn't counting We spent time tonight working on retirement contribution amounts now that he's eligible in his job again. Felt like we got a lot accomplished today, even though we really didn't tackle a lot. I got our pooch shaved/trimmed and bathed (and she smells a lot better now...) and he vacuumed up after me, so that was nice. I should thank him now that I think about it, even though at the time I was thinking, of course you should do that. But "thank yous" are always nice, even late, right!?!

Bill - LOL at you being lucky finding a parking spot when it was closed Way to find the positive! I sure wish you could hear this bird I have (well, not HAVE, but enjoy), so you could ID the fellah for me. He sings and sings and sings long songs. LOVE it.

Karen - OK, you laying claim to being a lazy slug and then hitting the gym - all I can say is WHAT?!?! Safe travels tomorrow!

Joy - I'm sorry to hear about your DH - so thankful that he was able to get checked out before it reached a critical level! My grandmother used to talk about nearly losing my Dad to ruptured appendix back in the '30s. He's lucky to have you caregiving for him now. Remember to care for yourself, as well.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #26  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Thursday - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama, born (Takster, Tibet, 1937)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to finally find an electric vehicle while it was being charged at home. I couldn't see the brand of charging cord, but I'll continue to walk by there until I happen to bump into the owner.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with all snacks consumed. Breakfast continues to include a huge serving of blueberries - much to my delight.

onebyone – Smart that you are keeping up with your art business class.

nationalparker – Congrats for working retirement stuff instead of just hiding under the bed, LOL. Yay for birdsong.

Karen (karenrn) - Waving back toward Flagstaff - assume that you're off on an adventure. [We love what we call Blue Fin Crab although it seems to be called Blue Crab. We fell for it when I took a business trip to Maryland several decades ago and was 'asked' to bring back a bunch for a senior executive. So, brought back a bunch for us, also. So sweet! Unfortunately, we use packaged stuff that's available at Whole Foods.]

ennay - I remember that it's hard to get two kids and two adults out the door at the same time.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

Escape the 24/7 Treat Trap

When eating out, keep in mind that you will be able to eat only slightly more than usual if your goal is to lose weight. Most restaurant meals have hidden calories. A dieter who owned a restaurant once told us some of their tricks; you wouldn't guess how much oil or butter is added to dishes to make them more delectable!
  • If you can, look at the menu before you go and decide what to have. Put your plan in writing. Making a healthy decision when you are at your computer is much easier than when you are in the restaurant, and influenced by what you see and smell. Once you get to the restaurant, you won't even have to look at the menu and be tempted by other options.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 132
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #27  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb today!

Coaches

Good start to a semi-day off. After I drop DH off at work I am heading up to have a swim in my friend's pool then coffee by the pool. OMG so my idea of Heaven. She's a good friend. One of the best I have made here. I am also going to see the large print we printed together of my woodcut. She had it framed and I have never seen that print framed so I am looking forward to that. She says it looks "important". I'll get a few pictures. And I will finally see her bathroom reno. Since she is ceramic guild president, I had suggested she/we make her own tiles.

We didn't. Lol.

Foodwise, slowly getting back into the losing weight arena. Focus is definitely on it once more and scale is under 270 today: 269.0. Today I will make my green juice. Today I will write my plan. Today I will pick up Beck's green book and renew my commitment to health.

Bye for now.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Great Fourth. Fun Family and babies. Super credit for being a key player in a rousing two hour pool-volleyball game. I made a decision I want to be the middle aged lady in the pool rather than the one preserving her hair on the deck.

DS, SIL and I took a tour of Harvey Mudd Engineering School- one of the Claremont Colleges. I thought of you BBE since you and my son are the only ones I know who could understand the three foot strings of various equations that covered every surface of the "work rooms." I hoped no one would "out" me as a simple music major. 800 kids go there. Average GPA is 4.1. Good Gravy. I told DS he could do anything he puts his mind, too. That is true.

DS and I spent yesterday in memory lane. I was born and raised in Malibu, California and although no one from my family is left there, I wanted to visit my old haunts. As we passed the intersection of HWY 405 and the 10 in downtown LA, I had my son salute. "Here is where your destiny was decided," I told him. Long ago, I was stuck in traffic AGAIN commuting from UCLA. There and then I swore to escape to Northern California to a magical town yet to be named which had no traffic. And the rest, as they say, is history. Eventually I married his farmer dad and have lived happily ever after. The only dim regret was the loss of my beautiful Zuma Beach.

So much has changed!!! We were the last generation of middle class families. I looked on the realty website to see how much my old house ( which is now unrecognizable) would be - over 2 million! Rents on the beach are 35,000 a month. Wow. Weird feeling knowing I would never be able to live in my family home again. Oh Well. Life moves on. And I have been far happier in my farm town than I ever was in Malibu as an over 200 pound, depressed teen. I brought DS back to Zuma and told the waves: See, everything turned out and this is my wonderful son.

Scale says I have gained a pound and a half in the ten days I have been gone. I have been exercising a bunch and tracking every day. I'll take it as a win.

onebyone: Visited Pepperdine University in Malibu and saw a Leffel collection. Art is so precious. What a wonderful offering you give this world.

KarenRN: One more day in Ventura and then we are homeward bound. Yes, if I keep tracking food, things will eventually fall my way. I wake up in a panic often thinking I won't ever be able to get things done. I have noticed that this is often connected to my age. Older people do less and less, keeping more and more safe. I want to push against this enertia and keep challenging myself like you are.

Ennay: My mother used to say "The scale owes us." Hope that is true.

Nationalparker: Grateful that you reminded me to thank my husband for all the little things he does.

Last edited by maryann; 07-06-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #29  

Good morning coaches,

I'm feeling so happy this morning. I think partly because I've been to the gym and finished 5 1/2 miles on the elliptical on the rolling hills program and partly because I'm heading to Flagstaff this afternoon with some people in my hiking group. I am riding with 3 gals who I have not met and 1 guy that I do know for several years. I'm so grateful that I don't have to drive since I did 1200 miles last week to cousins and back. We're staying at a condo in Flagstaff and then hiking Mt. Humphrey's the short way tomorrow. It's about 10 miles round trip and from 9000+ to 12,633. It will be a good workout and it will be so much cooler than Scottsdale.

I am not doing what I wish on the food plan. I'm holding my own, but not losing. I am not doing well this last week on "no beer" and yesterday I had a few dates that I purchased to put in my oatmeal backpacking breakfasts. I'm trying to get things ready so I don't stress and it's all put together before I leave for Washington 7/17. I ordered a few more things from Amazon today for the trip. Amazing how I can always find a few more things to purchase that are a little lighter than what I have.

Maryann Your trip sounds like a great time. And the beach, aaaahhh! We used to live blocks away from the Puget Sound and I do miss it. I like the mountains too thank goodness. Real estate prices are incredible, aren't they?

Onebyone Sounds like you have plans for a great day. Enjoy!

Bill I've never had a blue crab. We're heading to the east coast for a wedding next month. Maybe I'll get to try it.

Nationalparker Believe me, when a person has as many hours as I do, hitting the gym isn't much of an accomplishment. I did get out and run some errands yesterday afternoon though. When it's over 105 or so I just get real lazy about wanting to get out in it. Good job on getting on your bike. I hate muggy, it's so hard to want to get out in that.

Ennay I looked on the wta.org site to see what hike we did. It was the Lava Canyon hike. It is 5 miles round trip, but there is a suspension bridge, a ladder and a little bit where there is some drop off. I don't know the ages of your children, but I probably wouldn't want young ones on this. It was a beautiful hike though. We've also done Coldwater Lake, but that is up the highway nearer the Johnson Observatory I think it's called.

GardenerJoy I hope your patient is improving each day. Hang in there!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #30  
Enjoying la bella vita

I could definitely get used to this "retirement" living - seems like that rather than vacation living, since we're at home and not tackling major projects. Worked on my Roth IRA determinations today, so have that wrapped up. Now hoping things don't tank, as is everyone else, I'm sure. Ended up doing office work for the morning, anyway.

An OP day today until dinner. I caved in and made a dinner that I knew I would LOVE - it's a skillet corn/mac & cheese with bacon type dish that uses chicken broth instead of all milk/cheese. I actually used REAL bacon, as DH noted. Last time I used turkey bacon and it was good, but thought he'd like this one more. You top it with chopped tomatoes across your whole bowl, and the combo is just really tasty. I ate a full bowl. If DH wasn't here, I'd have eaten more, I know. But ended feeling satisfied. Skipping even fruit for dessert tonight since I just don't need more. Either a diet pop or hot tea will fit the bill tonight.

Biked for 56 minutes I think. I put on two Beatles' videos when my 48 Hours episode was over and kept on going to amp it up a bit more. Got some weeding done, even a bit at a time is getting stuff done. Deadheaded my big daisy bush and still have 100+ blooming. Big storms moved in again this morning, and our grass is just soaking it up - so lush. It will go dormant in the next month, as usual. Hard to picture that now, though.

Scale remains at ticker. Good.
Closed Thread