Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Looks like a nice Mother's Day. DS has committed to cooking all meals which is a big treat for me. DH is getting me a new bike and if the sun comes out, we will take a nice ride.

Food was better than hoped for yesterday at the Kentucky Derby party yet the scale went up a pound because I did a Pilates session. It never fails that it goes up with a session. That never seems fair does it. Do what is good in the long term and it feels worse in the short term. Wait! That is life, isn't it?

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 05-08-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #62  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

A meeting ran late, yesterday, and I got to the grocery store hungry. CREDIT for eating nothing and waiting until I got home for my planned snack. The only thing that I would have considered remotely on plan wouldn't have been satisfying enough. The things I wanted to eat were loaded with sodium or are foods that I know to be triggers for overeating. I talked myself out of them because I don't want to be bloated and I don't want to be craving foods that are unhelpful to me right now.

The scale rewarded me with a new low for the month.

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +30, 255/1000 minutes for May, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ennay: I'm still working out the thought process for those "grab food" moments. For me, it seems to be related to wanting a break and nothing but food provides exactly the break that I want. Some of the language around addiction helps me here -- in the short run, nothing is as satisfying as feeding the addiction. In the long run, of course, acting on addictive impulses negatively impacts every other aspect of life. I have to accept the lack of full satisfaction in the short run if I want the benefits in the long run.
Taking a walk is an excellent strategy!

Lexxiss: good job on getting back to the smoothie habit that works so well for you.

nationalparker: hope your bbq goes well and gives you a bit of a break from all the work you're doing.

maryann: I like the idea of singing encouraging mantras to myself!

onebyone: enjoy the good things about your day and good luck with the challenging aspects.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #63  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

credit for going out to dinner and sticking 90% on plan. I had a little excursion but took a walk when we got home and still came in within calories for the day

credit for calculating roughly the sugar cookies we have an ample supply of and realizing that they are SO not ever worth it. I buy concessions for our community theatre and most stuff lasts between shows but we buy cookies from a local baker. I buy the extras and freeze them for my family. And overall this still isnt bad for my diet. Nothing so near as tempting as BAKING cookies for them. I just never really did the math on how big they were. They are probably around 400 calories a cookie. I took some out to thaw for dessert for Mother's day dinner and after calculating that was not even tempted to pull one out for me. They aren't a long for. (pie would be a different story. I am going to have to figure out how to make pie work somehow)

MAJOR credit for going to bed hungry. I think. We had dinner very early last night and I was hungry enough before bed that I feared it would interfere with sleep. I slept horribly but I think it had more to do with restaurant iced tea and having caffeine that late.

credit for working out this morning when everyone was home and wanted me to do stuff with them.

credit for planning on a special occasion. I am allowing 300 extra today in part because that will still average out below limit for the week.

gardenerjoy for me it is a combo usually of either the food is good and I just want more or some serious self sabotage, or both. I got better at it for awhile when I did this before but it is always a struggle. "Free Will" (Rush) has helped before. I need to make sure I have that queued up. The problem for me is when it hits it is so fast and so intense of an obsession I haven't lately been able to squeeze in any intervention between the impulse and the action. One of the things I think I am going to work on is my other non food addictions (I start to do work and take a facebook break, etc) maybe if I can strengthen those resistance muscles because it happens on such a frequent basis? Nice job on the new low!

maryann sounds like a lovely mother's day.

onebyone I'm glad you found your square. I "put stuff in a safe place" and can't find it ALL the time. :hugs: on family....they can drive you crazy!

Last edited by ennay; 05-08-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #64  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, could have done better; could have done worse. Busy work day and finishing up within the hour. Had a few issues that had to be dealt with (work) while DH's folks were here, but all went ok. Sent all dessert except one serving for DH home with them, along with much of dinner. They always seem to enjoy the leftovers, so ... works out well. I'm just wiped out tonight and will hit the sack before midnight, done or not. Kitchen is cleaned up, though, so that's good. Ate a lunner instead of lunch and dinner, but was SO hungry by the time dinner was actually on the table, I had some cheese/crackers and split a roll with MIL to "taste test" it.

Just want a bath and a mental reset tonight.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:41 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 176/175.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning Coaches! I definitely missed being on here, and I realized this board was improving my habits even more than I realized... so credit to all of you I seem to be fighting a cold today, hoping I'm wrong and just trying to head it off. Should be a busy week, hoping that'll help keep me from snacking too much. Am looking for meal ideas based on the number of calories per serving - any favorite websites that divide them up like that? I'm hoping to make this more of an on plan week and spend some more time today reading my Beck book and working on my notes. I continue to be surprised by how often I find myself starting to eat standing up..much more often than I realized.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #66  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation New Start to the Week

Coaches

Woke up feeling low. I realized this morning what triggered all my sadness last night. It was watching the interaction of DH and his sister at MIL's house yesterday. It reminded me of my brother and of how much I miss our shorthand, and our conversations. That, in turn, triggered the other losses, and I'm still sad today. Best thing for this? NOT EATING OVER IT. Feel the feeling.

"Face your stuff, don't stuff your face", as someone once said to me.

I'm going now to write out my plan for the day. I will benefit from seeing it written down. Maybe I'll make a plan for the week as well.

Have a good Monday everyone.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-09-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #67  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm struggling today - super busy rushed day and had to check in to confess that I already started stress eating. One of our systems went down again (moving at snail pace) and I turned around and took out my breadsticks (70 cal) from lunch and ate those a few minutes ago. Ate a 50 cal portion of chocolate, too. I need to be smarter than this bc this whole week will be like this.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

OP day but I need to cut down on the portions. I need to do what a few of you are talking about: Just don't eat between meals. Right now the food I am eating is OP but with no structure. I'll work on that today. Also going to take a long walk.

onebyone: In all my years of food recovery, I have never heard "face your stuff or stuff your face." LOL
gardenerjoy: Great to remind myself to think through the moment. These things I CAN eat won't satisfy me so I just will pass.
lizard numbers: This is a great place to remind ourselves of healthy habits.
ennay: going to bed hungry ALWAYS is a triumph and I ALWAYS wake up better for it.
nationalparker: Congrats for sending all the extras home.

Last edited by maryann; 05-09-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #69  
Green Tomatoes

Apparently, I'm not going to manage an update today. So, I'll share this thing I just learned -- Use the ideal to inspire, but measure against the past. Here's a 3-minute video that talks about it: http://private.strategiccoach.com/en...p20130117.html

That's mostly from a business perspective, but it obviously applies to weight loss. Our goal weight is meant to inspire, but focusing on the gap between my current weight and my goal weight only makes me miserable. If I focus, instead, on all the techniques I've learned, challenges I've faced, and progress I've made since I weighed 240 pounds (measuring from the past), I'm in a much better head space for continuing to do all of those things well.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #70  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Thanks gardnerjoy I'll watch that. Although looking in the past can be hard for me right now. Not enough recent success.

I am really struggling today. I am having one of those days where I just want to stay in bed with a box of mac and cheese. I wish I knew what triggers this kind of thing. I did force myself to get started on my workout as part of the stay in bed and eat urge was frrrrrreeeeeezzzzzing in the house today, but I only got through about 15 minutes.

Credits - last night I stuck to my plan. I allowed myself 400 more calories for the day and came in well under that. I did a quick eyeball of what I thought I would have done without a plan - wine 3 large glasses instead of 2 small, steak probably 12 oz instead of 8, large mashed potato serving instead of the baked sweet potato leftovers - and the aforementioned cookie - or more likely I would have made a big fancy dessert. My guess is I saved somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 calories last night

Credit - I got out of the recliner and tried the workout. My calves just kept cramping.

Credit - I stuck to my breakfast plan and stuck to eating at the table.

credit - I have a macro target but I am not really focusing on it right now. It's more an "about what typically works best for me " and last week I hit it spot on without every monitoring it. I am self balancing it over the course of the week pretty well

credit - coming up here and listing the credits.

Last edited by ennay; 05-09-2016 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #71  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

First I want to say I read the posts before I left, and you and your family are in my prayers, Curlyjax. I hope the doctor's come up with a treatment plan soon. It's got to help to have a plan and know what you're dealing with. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

So, we got back from our Grand Canyon backpacking adventure yesterday afternoon. It was a very successful trip and we all had a good time. We spent the first night in a motel at the south rim and then four nights camping in three campgrounds below the rim. We hiked from Rim to Rim to Rim, starting and ending on the south rim but different trails. We went down the South Kaibab Trail which is quite exposed and no water, and came back up the Bright Angel trail. Neil, Hiking Suzanne and I all did well. Suzanne was extremely good natured for a person who usually is a 5 Star Hotel gal and has never backpacked. I was quite surprised that I never had to chase her up a hill. The backpack was the equalizer.

We had warm weather the first two days and then it cooled down. We even had a little rain in the night, but that wasn't a problem. The cooler weather made it half as difficult to climb up the hills to get out of the canyon. It was almost as if someone flattened the hills since the last time I was there. I think the cool weather and perhaps being a little stronger made the difference.

I ate almost everything I had with me and lots yesterday and am at the same weight as when I left. I'm trying to be very careful now because usually I will drop a few pounds of water weight once I quit hiking those really long days and quit eating the freeze dried dinners.

Ennay Big time credit to you for posting when you are struggling. It's hard but I swear it helps.

GardenerJoy I just watched the video. I thought it was very good.

Maryann I'm glad you had such a successful cookie making even at school. Also it's very nice to hear about how well your son is doing. I'm sure it feels great to hear the compliments, especially because you work hard at the environment in which he is being raised.

Nationalparker I wish you didn't have to work so hard. It's difficult not to stress eat when you have so much going on and not for just a day. Good job at sending leftovers home with MIL.

Onebyone I hadn't heard of the saying you referred to either, but it is excellent. I hope your planning helps turn your day around.

Waving to Lizardnumbers and Lexxis!

Today I'm working on getting everything clean and put away. Tomorrow I'll get back to the exercise. Credit for taking a day off when I deserve it!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #72  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

karenrn sounds like you had a great trip! I like the sound of hiking and backpacking, but my insomnia is so bad that camping had been a no go for me for awhile. Maybe I should try again.

Gutted through the day. Never felt the urge to binge and hibernate fade, but got through it. Didnt get much else done, but meh.

I had thought ds had baseball tonight so I planned leftovers tonight and was going to cook a good meal tomorrow, but he has baseball tomorrow. I didnt find out until it was too late to cook. Grrr. I have a roast I could make but we would be eating it cold from the get go. I like the first night to be straight out of the oven! I might have to though as Wednesday is booked solid from noon to 9 pm.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #73  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday - Transcontinental railroad completed (Utah, 1869)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Just a wave as I'm back but behind schedule this morning. Our plane home from Miami originated in Peru and suffered a mid-flight "maintenance issue" along its way to Miami. The farcical set of problems that resulted included loading onto the plane, waiting, then changing planes, then waiting for explanation for the delays multiple times. It's the first time I've heard a pilot announce that he's getting off the plane to go find out what's going on. I've got to run to make class today. Over the four days, exercise was walking constantly, CREDIT moi. This, apparently, kept the weight the same even though food was the kind of high that goes with family gatherings.

Vacation Vignette #1: We arrived late and joined another couple just in time to order a sandwich from a pastry shop. Good: I ordered reasonably. Bad: The counter-waitress came to our out-door table to offer several plastic boxes of FREE bagels and chocolate muffins since they were closing. SIL jumped on them just as I was trying to find the words, "No, thanks." Good: The next afternoon while driving back from a tropical garden without lunch, we were starving. SIL produced the stale bagels, muffins, AND paper napkins from the night before. We drove back to the hotel chomping just enough to last until dinner.

I'll be back on track tomorrow when I wake up at a reasonable (for me) hour.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #74  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Welcome back BillBlueEyes

I was talking with my daughter on the way to school this morning. She mentioned that hardly anybody in her class (6th grade) eats any lunch because they snack all the time. During class! (I remember having a college professor in grad school say we couldnt even have water bottles!). And the healthiest thing they snack on according to her is a chocolate donut. She had some thoughts that a donut slightly outranked poptarts and candy. There are a couple girls in her class, I question if it was bullying behavior originally because the way she described it I think they are making fun of her lunches, but I think they crossed a line with her when they said "eeeew, what is THAT" to a chicken leg and she thinks they are just ridiculous now and gets excited about bringing "weird" food to school. Black bean pizza is the hands down winner.

dd talks (complains) a lot about how bad the behavior is in her class, lots of talking and disruptive behavior. Anyway I asked her if her best friend (who is as studious and serious as dd) was one who had snacks all the time and she said no. So I asked her if she thought there was a correlation between the kids who ate junk food all day and the kids who had behavior issues. Lightbulb moment for her. She complains alot about the vegetables but overall prefers real food to crap. Doritos for birthday parties, but not for lunch. She's been a pretty picky eater since day one, but at least she picks from mostly real food.

Last edited by ennay; 05-10-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #75  
Green Tomatoes

I just penciled in a food plan for today -- CREDIT. I'm pleased that I've been doing well on the days that I don't have a plan, but there's no need to take that risk too often.

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +20, 315/1000 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Welcome home!
Closed Thread