Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #46  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I can't believe I missed two days of posting. The week has become so rushed and I'm feeling behind on everything. I'm not sure why this happens to me a few times a month and then eases off. It might be a good thing to figure that out!

A jump up on the scale when I expected it to go down. Water weight, for sure -- my muscles are sore from yard work yesterday and I know that I didn't drink enough water yesterday to flush things out. I'm having to work at not being discouraged, though. I wanted more breakfast than planned -- CREDIT for measuring and counting as I would normally.

WI: +0.85 kg, Exercise: +40, 195/1000 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

curlyjax: so sorry about your husband's diagnosis. As of last month, I'm a 31-year cancer survivor. I hope they find a good treatment plan. If we're helping you, then keeping posting here. This group has supported each other through all kinds of things, not just weight loss.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #47  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday had many twists and turns because I had almost 24 hours without sleep before going to bed at 3am after picking up DH at the airport. I got about 5 hours sleep then got up to start my day. I felt "hung over" all day. I did have my smoothie, then a healthy lunch. Got to Denver late in the day for mega chores and ended up deciding to have something to eat at Costco. It's the first time I've noticed they have added calories to their big wall menu. 4,000 + cal for a large pizza. Red chili was my best choice and I had half. DH had his pizza and finished my chili off. Snacked later at home. Drank water, worked in the yard and weighed, as usual.

Today I just made a plan for dinner. I've been working in the yard all day. Pacing myself. Didn't make my smoothie. That's not great for me. I will nap and do that when I get up. Right now a yummy orange.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #48  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default friday

Coaches

I'm on plan today. *credit* I feel good today which is great. I have started to declutter *credit* and move things around once more, the incentive being to find my "square" credit card reader so I can accept credit cards at the farmers' market tomorrow. So far no luck, but I have made big strides in clearing space and getting a feel for how much stuff I actually have to deal with. It is good to face reality.

Better to get back to it. Bye for now.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #49  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Both cats had an extraction today (never again will I schedule them together) ... they're fine now but grumbly. I want to be with each one, but of course they are always separated, so that is never an option.

Another busy day at work - this weekend will be a lot of work at home along with housework ... seems better to be doing office work with pets around, though. DH is working all day tomorrow and then 6 hours on Sunday. We are going to bbq for his folks on Sunday afternoon. I do not do bbq sides great. I wonder why that is - that's where I lack kitchen skills for certain.

Scale remained the same today - sad thing is this morning seemed so, so long ago. I think it was 172.4 ... so no great hopes that tomorrow will drop bigtime. The staff lunch out was to a place with po boys. Not my "thing" so I ended up with the one non-beef/seafood option and it was cajun chicken salad. It was good but i typically don't order something with mayo as an ingredient. Winged it on counting it. We'll see how it all shakes out. I'm hungry again though. At least I ordered just half of a sandwich and NO SIDE. Major for me on the no french fries.

NO plan for dinner tonight at all. I'm home and wondering if DH wants to go get Thai and his glasses fixed and a bit of marketing in one swoop ... or just this and that here at home. I can make bbq turkey mini meatloaves or leftover mex but I'm just not in the mood for much of a plan.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi everyone- thanks so much for your supportive words!! He got out of the hospital friday and had a consultation with an oncologist who said, w'ere not exactly sure whats going on actually. Something is causing him to accumulate huge amounts of fluid in his abdomen (ascites) and lose weight, and a few episodes of vomiting. There are indicators for stomach cancer but until they get the results of the second endoscopy, can't say for sure. And even if it is, she said there are new treatments etc so that was good to hear. So he will have more blood tests, maybe MRI etc. I just feel better having a point person now who will take charge. they are so nice at the cancer center and its not far from my house.
It's so good to see him eating a little better yesterday too.
Take care everyone and thanks again!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #51  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Silly scale. I'm down today when I thought I'd be up because we had a stir-fry last night. I'll take it!

CREDIT for talking back to myself, out loud, in the car when I was tempted to forage a snack while running errands. The idea was that I would have this treat and skip my second snack. But the treat wasn't going to be that satisfying and it was way too early. I'd end up going home and eating another snack. I said, aloud, "That won't work." And, I didn't do it! I waited until I got home to eat the snack that I planned.

I haven't written a food plan in a couple of days -- always a danger sign. Off to scribble one down....Done! A nice light day of food, but satisfying.

WI: -0.6 kg, Exercise: +30, 225/1000 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: That's not much sleep! I hope you're able to catch up on some.

onebyone: glad you're feeling better! Did you find your Square? Those things are tiny. Square is a St. Louis-based company and we were the first market for them, so I've been seeing them at Farmers Markets for a long time. We're seeing ones, now, that take the chip cards.

nationalparker: I usually bring fruit salad to bbqs -- which is just cut-up fruit with something juicy like pineapple on top to provide the "dressing". I'd rather bring coleslaw or a tossed salad, but my mother-in-law staked out that territory.

curlyjax: so glad that you're getting the medical help that your DH needs now and that things are feeling a tad more positive.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #52  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

had a food-grab moment last night. I was trying to figure out what the thought process is when I have the mini-binge because most of what she said in the book didnt really resonate with what I feel in those moments. Had 1 piece of pizza as the "this is the food I must have now" moment, but could feel the list of other foods starting to pile up. Got out and went for a walk and brought it back under control (credit). Overall the pizza isnt a problem calorie wise, its the intensity of the urge and I am still not sure how to short circuit it. I felt better after the walk so that is a technique if it is an option but I couldnt make myself do it first. Even though by my rules had I had the walk first I would have had enough calories banked that I could have chosen the pizza for my open snack before bed.

scale is down a little this morning and I feel back in control. Mornings are the easiest time though

nationalparker - I'm with gardenerjoy on fruit salad. If you want to make it look really fancy do it in a watermelon bowl - people are always impressed by that for some reason. I like watermelon with strawberries and blueberries.

Last edited by ennay; 05-07-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #53  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi coaches!

I got preoccupied in the yard yesterday and never made my smoothie. Had a little unplanned meeting in the afternoon. Went to bed early.

So today is another day. My husband and I have already spent an hour in the yard and despite my urge to just keep going with my next round of outside accomplishments, I am going inside to make my smoothie. It will give me much more energy to plug through the rest of my day. I have a plan for dinner which is the same plan I had last night which never happened. LOL.

Curlyjax, thanks for taking the time to check in with us. It's good to hear some encouraging news. I have had several very stressful years and found it so helpful to keep in touch here as often as possible.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #54  
Enjoying la bella vita

Oh - Joy - I like the fruit salad idea. We'll be doing the full meal - DH is grilling ribs (at least that's his plan now) and I'll make baked beans, which is one recipe I do love, cole slaw and potato salad and will do the fruit salad. His folks typically take a great deal of the leftovers, so there will be no challenge with that. I have to finish up another hour or so of cleaning and then will hit the market after showering. Thank you for the idea. Our fruit in house is an overripe banana and lemon and lime! Everything else has been used up. Now I'm enthused for that! I can add a small bowl of toasted coconut for anyone who wants it, as well.

I did have a See's chocolate but feel I've already worked it off Back to it. Now with a good meal plan.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Slept ten hours last nite. That was a relief after rough sleeping before my event yesterday. Feels great this morning to sit on "the other side" of a challenge. One of the greatest tools Beck has given me is clock watching. I was frantically setting up for the 11:00 a.m. event. I was carrying three buckets of frosting for the cookies and knee deep in decorating treats. I was trying to control mayhem and my mind urged me to break my seventh month "no sweets at work" rule. So I looked at the clock and reminded myself that no matter what happens it will be 2:15 at some point and I can go home and have a snack. I repeated that several times a day. No matter what happens, time will pass and it will be appropriate to have a meal. I kept putting my head down and working through the craving and finally I DID get home. So grateful. The event was huge success. Some wonderful students made the operation go so smoothly. They loved feeling grown up as my leaders. My boss came into my office especially to give me a high five. The rest of the year should be down hill. I am reaffirming my commitment to exercise. No Choice now.

Weight hovering at ticker and that is fine. Ten pounds from goal. Here I go.

gardenerjoy: Thanks for reminding I can say things aloud. Being a voice major, I can even sing them aloud
national parker: For a bbq side I now have my husband make deviled eggs. He uses very little mayo - mostly fancy mustard, relish and a few other things. Great source of protein and the relish makes them a little sweet. We bought special party plates to hol them. Plus, I almost always have the ingredients in the fridge.
Lexxiss: It is always impressive how you support yourself with you smoothie. "This I know will work" and you go ahead and do it. It took me years to discover things like that in my life.
curlyjax: Great to hear from you.
onebyone: DS and I always threaten to pack up our oranges, walnuts and pecans and head to the farmer's market. I think it would be a great experience for him because you have to deal with all kinds of people in all kinds of circumstances.

Last edited by maryann; 05-07-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #56  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Going out for dinner tonight with the family. Should be interesting.

maryann 10 hours! That sounds heavenly and well deserved!

Last edited by ennay; 05-07-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #57  
persist

Default Saturday results

Coaches

I did the market today. Credit for not having any sugar treats while there. The day felt warm, at first, then we were all cold. The wind was cool and it was sort of damp, or humid. I didn't buy anything off plan after I unloaded the car even though I was craving sugar like crazy. I continue not to have sugar tonight. Credit. We had a meal with a higher carb count tonight but it is OK. I move on.

I weighed this morning and saw another small rise: 0.4lbs to 265.2. Tomorrow I don't know what to expect and tomorrow we got with MIL to a swanky Mothers Day brunch at a local gallery I've never been to. It's a fantastic menu. I plan to enjoy and then move on.

Very tired and heading to bed.

Curlyjax: that's hopeful news. I am glad to hear it.

Maryann: I would always recommend a Farmer's Market. I love the direct contact with the public. Makes you really feel appreciated. Your DH may really like that. I wish we had local pecana here! What a treat that would be.

Have a good night everyone.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #58  
Enjoying la bella vita

OK, Maryann - I'm going to do deviled eggs, too ... Good idea. I don't care for them but DH LOVES them...but unfortunately I had to buy fresh eggs as we're out. I dislike using the fresh ones because I can never get them cleanly peeled. Got the fruit for salad, and have cranberries as well, and will just use mandarin oranges. We hit the market after an early dinner (counted as my lunch/dinner) and got right home. It has looked like it's going to pour all day but only sprinkling. No complaints.

Work started in earnest hours ago and is still going but I think I'm going to table some until tomorrow - just stack it on the stuff that needs to get done then. I can work when DH's folks are here for part of the time, they know it's my crazy month.

Panicked earlier tonight as DH accidentally (while he was showing me how to open/close the screen door that goes off track for me every few days now. Showing me 25 times. Hm.) anyway he let the kitty out that is always lurking there and if she gets out of our yard, we have no way of getting her in the field of tall grasses. She runs from you, not to you and we'd lose her to the coyotes or cars. Anyway, my heart was in my throat trying to get in front of her to head her off. I ended up dropping down on a landscaping wall and have solidly bruised my legs but snatched her and got her in. I said to him PUHLEEZE do not let her out while I'm gone later this month. He looked a bit sheepish and said I promise. He's just not as alert to her as I am.

Accomplished a lot today ... tomorrow will come soon. I'm weary and the longer I stay up, the more I'll eat. I just ate a minitub (120 cal maybe?) of nutella as a dessert treat. That's two treats today - this won't fly. And the clothing shopping was a bust. I'm struggling with the whole "Why bother" again and that's not healthy.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #59  
GlenwoodHotSprings

Hi coaches!

Not much to report because I just woke up and have to be to work in 50 minutes. Long hours of yardwork is helping me sleep. I had a great day in the yard yesterday before it hailed. Fortunately, all plants are in my little greenhouse. I'm in a rush but I've already weighed and I will make my smoothie and take it with me.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #60  
persist

Thumbs up G'day to y'all

Coaches

Gorgeous sunny morning here today. Just told DH he has to get his mom a mother's day card. We will be leaving to go to her place in a little over an hour. His sister is planning to visit her mom as a surprise. I think that's great. His mom will be thrilled about that. Maybe she's over whatever it was that kept her away all year last year when MIL was diagnosed with cancer. I hope so. But she says things like "I'll take her off your hands" "You can pass her onto me" etc like MIL is such a huge burden. DH's family have no idea how difficult families can be sometimes. Oh well. For today, I am glad we're going out to a nice place to visit, that it is sunny outside, and that flowers were abundant (kinda cheap!) as I bought myself a bouquet of orange tulips: a first for me. Yay! After we come back from MIL's place I will go visit my mom and then go for a walk in the park by the lake.

Weightwise.... The scale has not been my friend this first week of May. I am up 4.9 lbs since May 1st. Physically, I have not eaten the calories to make the scale rise so, so the number is reflection of other things. Most likely sodium and water retention. Not enough liquids being drunk. Not enough eating low carb. Not enough times in the day when I "feel hungry". Too much stress as well which more and more I am seeing have an impact on keeping the scale steady/preventing a loss. I have a big fancy brunch to attend at 12:30 with DH and MIL and then my next challenge will be Tuesday night and then Friday night and Saturday market. Challenges and opportunities to go offplan abound. What do i want? To keep struggling to keep my weight from climbing or to struggle to lose weight by following my plan? Either way it's not easy right now. I *really* want to see the 250's by the end of the month. It's still possible. I must keep my eye on the prize.

gardenerjoy I personally want to thank the fine citizens of St. Louis for creating and testing the Square reader. It is revolutionary for small businesses like me. What we/I had to deal with to accept credit cards pre-Square was incredible. Let's just say, banks were involved bigtime. Ugh. I did find my Square btw. I had actually put it in a safe and obvious place in my studio, on the shelves. I just didn't look there!

Have a good Mother's Day Sunday everyone.

Update: feeling bad cause I stayed tooong at MIL place making it too late to visit my mom today. I felt deeply sad all evening. I felt the loss of the two women who were.more.of a.mother to me than my mother: my grandmother and my Aunt. They are gone and mother is here, but gone. I was just sad. I had no plans for food but DH requested I make these.cookies.from a.mix and I did and ate at least 7 sub-par cookies. So sweet. I felt sick. I expect the scale to be up over 270 tomorrow. I am trying to keep positive that I can get back to seeing the scale fall but I am losing my confidence on that again. Thankfully I don't have to stay feeling this way. I am on plan right now.and I will have a great sleep and a new start has already begun. I want to move forward again.

Last edited by onebyone; 05-08-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Closed Thread