Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches! finally got a walk in yesterday, made it brief but it felt good. Still waiting to hear for further DH medical results. he has lost 20 pounds without meaning to (loss of appetite, etc) that is never a good sign. I feel like something really bad is lurking and it will just take awhile to show up. Just trying to take one day at a time. We are off to visit family for a few days so it will be nice to have a change of scene, and DH is up to it thank goodness!! I was hoping to leave early but the kiddies are just starting to wake up so it may be awhile!!

nationalparker-i thought of you the other day as I improvised leftover chicken with salsa and mexican cheese blend, I think of you eating mexican type food a lot. Your meals always sound great to me! Good luck on your work trip- I hope its nice to have a change of pace for a few days!
Happy weekend all!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #122  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Decided I'm checking in early today, despite there being not much different than yesterday evening's check-in. But DH works early shift today - he'll be home around 3 and I want to be off the computer until I have just my work to do at night. In a bit of a funk, as I realize that nearly all of my capris from last year are just too dang tight. Ugly tight, not "could stretch out on the drive in to work" tight. I cannot travel in jeans for work, and so need to come up with my outfits and business dressy outfit today since I kinda halfway did it last weekend but not really. So I am going to make a quick run to Dress Barn, which often seems to have something that is appropriate/age appropriate and affordable. But of course, I must look around for a coupon because that's just ME. Sheesh. I have an hour until they open, and will do a quick Trader Joe's run as well, since they're closeby.

After getting DH the Tiffin set for his lunches, I guess someone commented on it and asked why (because that's not common here) and he said it's so hard to get to a microwave, and someone showed him one back in a corner in "his" area, so ... ta dah! No need, now. I said, well let's return it! NO NO... So we'll see how much it's used... I think it will whenever I get up to do it, so ... that must be why I was wanting to return it.

CurlyJax - Sounds yummy!! I struggle with always wanting to add the very bland mexican rice with my stuff filler! Good for you. My area is very populated with Hispanic businesses and restaurants, so I try to even out going there with some of the stuff at home. I can't tell who uses lard and while the American chains have gotten away from it, I suspect the small hole-in-the-wall yummy places still use it. But on to more important things - I have really had your DH in my mind here lately - the stress he's had this past year has to be such a mind-filler. Keep positive - don't let the heavyweight thoughts creep in too often. So hard to do, I know. Hang in there - hoping the family trip will be a good relief.

Bill - What a clever gift idea! And a wonderful ROI, too to discover something new for you as well. We are in a bit of a dearth of performances until the last week of the month, a super busy workweek - go figure. My brother and his wife are also going to be closeby in Chicago then, and are hoping we'll get up there for a visit, but I just don't know/see if that'll happen.

No weight lost this week, only a couple of half-inches down on the tape measure but I figure that might just be me putting it in a different spot. Certainly nothing showing in the way clothes feel.

OneByOne - I had to look up cross-hatching to see what that was... I was not gifted at all artistically and envy/admire you on that front because I know you work hard at it, not just viola a gift.

SilverBirch -Ahh moleskin notebooks. A favorite gift between my brother and me. For some reason, I think we feel it's ok to spend as a gift, so it works well. But life's short and we should gift ourselves, too, I agree.

Flnu - OP-ish - love it! I keep wondering if I'm getting more stressed by all of the shootings because I'm hearing about them, but then I check the crime stats and they're just stupid high. New sheriff in town and doubt any of the promises will have much of an effect.

OK - running out to the store to see if I can find something to hide 20 pounds of fat. Or at least make me feel better about it and my lack of effort, I guess.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Wonderful day yesterday. It was the first Friday in months that I didn't have a Dr. appt. or "the three stooges" repairmen traipsing around the house. I was able to putter. This is crucial for my mental health I understand now.

Dug into three big boxes inherited from my older sister who just downsized to a rental. Most stuff I donated but I did a major clean on a zoirushi rice maker, tested it out, and it worked beautifully. (I order the missing measuring cup online). It is going up to the cabin along with some much need sturdy glassware. I tried to clean a kitchenaide kettle but there was serious black stuff on the inside. That got a toss.

Then I found a mysterious terra-cotta pot and lid- glazed on inside only. Well, I was off on the hunt. Several text messages and hours of internet later I decided it was a bean pot. I made a recipe of Tuscan white beans with garlic, sage, and bay leaf. I had to soak the pot in cold water first and put it into a cold oven. It apparently doesn't like rapid heat changes. Four hours later came a DELICIOUS product. I just learned today I wasn't suppose to peel the head of garlic but I love it anyway. No fat, lots of healthy fiber and super frugal. I am roasting veggies this morning and with the rice from my rice maker I will have lunch for the week. This is my idea of a fun weekend. Learning something new, experimenting, quiet. My grandma lived past 100. She was vibrant, stylish and curious till the end. I learned from her to always be interested in people and learn new things everyday. So I try to learn three new things everyday. I might start keeping a three new things journal. But at this point in my life, I feel I am learning dozens of things a day. There is an ocean of things I don't know. A13 year old, menopause and job/life crisis has kept me humbly on a steep learning curve.

Exciting to change my ticker. I like the fact that I have kept ten pounds off since starting this journey on this blog ( a nice round number) and have ten pounds to go. It is a tipping point. Food in MFP. Pilates and a walk planned.

gardenerjoy: Thanks for mentioning Goodreads. I have been thinking about tracking my reading for awhile now.

BBE: Great gift idea. More and more, my gifts are experiential or charitable. I don't know if I do it 100% but I am making progress. DH this Tuesday is getting a massage for his bday (a professional one)

nationalparker: Shootings sound very upsetting any time but especially so close.

onebyone: I vote for fun art. As a singer, I enjoy an eight part Gloria and a show tunes medley. Both feed the soul.

curleyjax: Enjoy your family trip.

Wave to everyone else.

Last edited by maryann; 04-16-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #124  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I made it to the half-way mark of my exercise goal, half-way through the month. CREDIT!

Yesterday was a hungry day. That can sometimes throw me off the track the next day. So, I'm reminding myself of these things:
  • Hunger is not an emergency
  • Hungry days happen
  • Not-hungry days happen, too

Today, so far, is shaping up less hungry. I want to notice that so that I don't eat more in an attempt to "fix" whatever went wrong yesterday. Nothing went wrong yesterday. I'm in no danger of eating too little. Drink a cup of herbal tea and remind myself that I'm safe.

WI: -0.35 kg, Exercise: +35, 500/1000 minutes for April, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #125  

Height: 5' 2"

CREDIT: walk again yesterday, that is 3 this week and 2 times at gym. Add in some gardening and regular house work I've been far more active than usual.
CREDIT: Logging food and exercise daily and am glad to see the fiber is good, as well as plenty of fruit and veggies. I always have plenty of calcium with milk, yogurt and cheese. Actually have to limit it.
CREDIT: Eating slowly is becoming natural. At Asian Restaurant DH had to wait till I finished and I ate 1/2 what he did or less. Certainly no rice nor pasta.

MaryAnn Thankful I DON"T have boxes to go thru. Sounds as if the rice cooker is a real find.

CurlyJax Keep us updated on your husband. Sure hope it is not serious.

Finished another book that actually was very good and about Peru. Felt as if I were really there and with all the talk here about hiking and Peru, it fit well.

Still short on rain. Had to water gardens, especially new trees, and mulch very well. looks better as well as the mulch will contain some of the moisture with drought symptoms coming in.

Trillium are beautiful in the woodland garden here. Also the Red Japanese Maple planted in the west catches the setting sun and is glorious. So glad we put it there.

Sandy
Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #126  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Saturday

Hi Coaches

Gorgeous Saturday here. This is the second full day of sun. I am amazed.

I completed one of my paintings for my exhibit this afternoon. Now I have two new ones. And another one that I started is up on the easel. It's probably 30% done. I have to stay focused because I set my work up this Friday.

Foodwise I am OP. I just had a snack of peas in their shell. I've grown to really like that as a snack. I cooked a ham in the crockpot (a first for me) today and so dinner is ready. It's a big ham so there will be lots of leftovers and even some for the freezer I think. Yay.

And this morning I stepped onto both scales, the Wii Fit scale and the new weight watchers scale. The Wii Fit said I was 266.7 and the weight watchers scale said 265.8. I've bee tracking my weight daily and monthly in a couple of other forums here and I was using the weight watchers scale so I reported that number. I'll decide if I switch back to the wii fit scale when it's May 1st. Really the scales just show if the scale goes up or down from day to day. At my weight it's the movement down that I am interested in. There is no real number I am aiming toward in the near future. Goal weight is far away and a mystery to me as to what that number will actually be. I don't need to be focused there right now except to believe that I will reach it one day.

I've been watching this show called My Diet is Better Than Yours. Yikes! 6 contestants each choose a specific diet to try. They get the diet's expert as their coach. The premise is "let's see which diet actually works". It's all good except there is a major thing at the end where all the contestants have to complete a half marathon in order to awarded the $50K prize (on top of having lost the most weight). It's still and unrealistic and tough on people show but I like the diet comparisons. Quite interesting. Looks like you can watch it online. (BTW one of the "experts" was clearly nuts.)

I'm about to head out for my walk along the newly renovated shoreline of Lake Wilcox,which is a "kettle lake". They have been working on that park for two summers! Looks like it will open to the public this year, but not yet. Only the shoreline area and the walking path is done. It appears the town has put a lot of cement over top of what was a lot of grass in the old park (Sunset Beach Park). This seems to be the trend in newly contructed parks around here. It's disappointing but all that grass and soil. Ew! So dirty! Think of the children!

Bye!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #127  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday - Apollo 13 splashdown (Pacific Ocean, 1970)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Two events with food gave me a hard time. Ouch. I did declare the snacks that I consumed to be dinner only completed with a bowl of miso soup when I got home. Miso soup has few calories and two scale pounds of sodium - but those will wear off.

Short walking as I was all preoccupied doing things that were scheduled. Yesterday was one of those days to decide that I'd be a good monk who sits in his cell and reads books from the library all day (while the Abbot thinks I'm meditating).

onebyone – Yay for peas from the shell as a snack. I'm so hooked on Sugar Snaps that I forget that regular peas are also choice.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the reminder, "I'm in no danger of eating too little." I still worry about starvation when going out for a couple of hours.

maryann - Yay for the discovery of a good bean pot. Beans with lots of garlic sounds like my kind of dish.

nationalparker – LOL at discovering a microwave. Good luck in your shopping for work clothes.

curlyjax - Sending supportive thoughts as you have to just wait for results of tests. Have a nice trip.

Sandy (love2garden) - The Red Japanese Maple is just about the best looking tree in a yard. Kudos for being more active.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

Escape the Willing Accomplice Trap

Shortly before entering a situation with a known food pusher: . . .
  • Remember, you won't be firm with someone else if you're not first firm with yourself. Be sure to give yourself extra credit when you do stand firm, with both yourself and the food pusher, and record that experience in your memory journal.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 101
Old 04-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #128  
Green Tomatoes

Somewhat less hungry of a day yesterday, so that's helpful and encouraging -- I'm not going to be hungry all day if I follow my plan.

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +35, 535/1000 minutes for April, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 04-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Slept in till a near record of 8:30. I also had a two hour nap yesterday in between chores. I am clearly catching up with rest after such a challenging March. Signed up for GoodReads (thanks to gardenerjoy). I shelled and roasted the last of last fall's pecans (thought of BBE with pity that he has never tasted the world's best tree nut. I'll have to send him some next Xmas.) I took two walks and cook/froze a pot of cranberry beans given to us by a fellow farmer. "That is enough to do in a day, Mary Ann. That is enough." This is what I practice saying to myself.

All kinds of plans are running through my head for next year's high school class. I need to start compiling. Quote I found today which I think is great to use for the next generation: Henry James - Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; the third is to be kind.

Pilates and bike are in key position this morning. Food is in MFP. In my continuing vow to change everything - I am NOT going to call either parent today. I have come to an awareness that when I really start to feel good, I call one of them and he or she gets the drama going. I am going to call them when I feel down and see what happens

Last edited by maryann; 04-17-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 176/175.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi Coaches! I'm brand new here, and I hope you don't mind another addition to your group. I just found the Beck Diet book recently (I'm working through the original one I think, the blue one) and I'm working on Day 6 - Find a diet coach. I have a family member who I will probably also use as an in-person coach, but I thought I might like finding some online support. So after a little searching I found this forum, and I love the positive attitude and sharing I see here. I have trouble sticking with things sometimes, and I feel like logging on regularly to share and say hello might be just the accountability I need.

Please let me know if I do anything I'm not supposed to in the group --- I haven't really participated in any forums for a while. But onto how today's going. I am currently working on giving myself credit, sitting down when I eat, and slowing down and savoring my meals. Credit for doing this well at breakfast today - I started snacking while cooking, and then realized what I was doing. After sitting down and paying attention to my food, I enjoyed it more and took the time to concentrate on it. I'm off work today and hoping to get some cleaning and to-do list items done around the house. I am very much an emotional eater, and being at home can be tough for me when I am so close to things to eat. I'm really enjoying working through the book so far, and I love that it can be applied to whatever diet you are following. Instead of index cards, I have a very small moleskin notebook I'm writing my ARC in and my response cards and notes from each day. So far I am doing a page for each day, and trying to read through it as much as possible. This has been really helpful so far. I keep the notebook in my purse and use a matching one for a to-do list, so I can keep it on my desk at work (with the cover closed) and not worry about someone seeing.

Oh and credit for working hard on not letting slip ups derail me ---- I had a slip up today with having a tempting snack I shouldn't have had --- but I'm going through my response cards/notes and reminding myself that it I can regroup and keep making good choices for the rest of the day. I am also hoping to get outside and plant some marigolds I picked up yesterday. The weather is just gorgeous here right now, but spring allergies make me try to balance out my time inside vs. outside. I noticed there seem to be quite a few gardeners in the group ---- I am a beginner but I will enjoy reading those notes!

Any tips for this forum in general or reminding yourself to come post and read each day?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #131  

Height: 5' 2"

Llizard WELCOME!!! You are certainly welcome here. Isn't Beck a delight to read and help us? I use a journal more than the cards. Found that my normal journaling really fits well with the successes and issues with Beck way. Giving yourself CREDIT is one of the best things I've learned. Stopped me from beating myself up and helped me let go and start from there.

Bill We have a Lunch Bunch at Church Thursday so your experience will be fresh in my mind. I've noticed if I ignore the table of desserts I do pretty well. Also ONE trip to the serving table. The delightful people there are such fun to talk with that food is not the main attraction.

Gardening has been watering and mulching. As I examine all the plants above ground BEFORE Tax day I'm both amazed and a bit concerned that drought is in our near future. This will determine some of the annudal plants I purchase to plant. Food we can eat has preference and we'll put parsley and other herbs intermingled with veggies all over. May even go in the area on the north fence that is usually simply flowers, there is a small area, about the size of a bath tub between front Day lilies and tall Silver Grass at the fence. I could get to the plants to harvest. Peppers are really very, very attractive and may just find a home there this year. Also that area is close to hose for watering.

We had frozen garden peppers with our morning eggs again today. Last year's crops was so good but we also had more than average rain.

Gym time later today and NBA game watching the San Antonia Spurs this evening. Enjoy the day. Sandy
Old 04-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #132  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Sunday

Coaches

Today went alright. I pushed myself a bit more during my walk this morning. That was good. I ended up at a community center as a result of walking further and now I have the current aquabics schedule. I planning on taking a class tomorrow. Credit for exercise and planning for exercise.

Food was on plan today. Credit. Credit as well for weighing exactly what I weighed yesterday. I have to say I hope the scale moves tomorrow, but I don't think it will. I had such a good week two weeks ago now. Then I wrecked it with off plan food and now I am still not back to where I was even though I am on plan and being consistent. I am wondering how much stress conteibutesnto me holding onto my weight. Cortisol is secreted by the body when there is stress and cortisol is the hormone that is responsible for belly fat. I hope I'm not giving misinformation here cause I'm going from memory but it seems to.me they, scientists, had made links between stress and an inability to lose weight. I don't know. I'm just looking for something to console.myself with. I really want results. I really want this to work. I have lost 10lbs since February. If I lose 10 every 3 months that's 40 in a year. I may need to accept and appreciate and even celebrate that rate of loss. But, you know, I'm trying to predict my weight again. I have a track record of failure when it comes to.psychically sensing what I weigh. I'll drop that thought now.

Lizardnumbers welcome! I look forward to your input as the days go by.

Have a good night.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:11 AM   #133  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Long day that started at 5 a.m. and I'm just wrapping up some work now - and hope to be in bed in a half hour. Hotel is nice but no tub tonight - just too tired ... I think. I love a hot bath right before bed if the tub looks inviting (as in super clean in a hotel )...

Ate more than I needed most likely but felt like I made the best choices I could with no control on where/when we ate. No, that's a lie. I chose a 280 cal croissant at au bon pain at the airport for breakfast. In all honesty, if the calorie counts weren't shown, I'd have skipped it, thinking it was about 500 calories. Clearly a lot of fat. Anyway, wow in retrospect, the main good choice was a veggie lunch sandwich and lettuce wraps at dinner at 8 (11 my time) ... I did have less than half an order of fries that someone else bought to split with me for lunch and it was hard to not just keep picking at them as I love fries. So I guess I didn't do well, after all. And here I was giving credit where it wasn't due!!

Welcome, LizardNumbers. Great name! Looking forward to your posts sharing your challenges and successes and tips along the way. I like your moleskin notebook idea. - Great synchronicity as we were just posting about moleskin tablets this week! No rules for posting - I find I have been running out of time to post many personals, so trying to hit a few here and there and not let the guilt of not enough time to do everyone prevent me from checking in.

Bill - Thank you for the reminder that sodium hit is temporary. I bought tomato juice but then checked the sodium and have boycotted it in the fridge, so DH has been drinking it. I thought it was a good way to get in another veggie, but WOW. I guess it wouldn't kill me.

It's too late to eat but I feel like I deserve something chocolate for my long day. Got in 10K steps. I feel when you're awake a long time you are deserving of another meal.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #134  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome lizardnumbers

lizardnumbers

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Patriots Day in New England

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, in the Middlesex Fells Reservation with DW enjoying that the temperature made us feel a touch of spring. I was tickled at how many extra layers we each brought with us as if preparing for a blizzard. This is a chunk of land within sight of Boston that got preserved by some incredible foresight when suburbs were goggling up everything else. None of the pictures show its true appeal - it feels like being in a woods in New Hampshire instead of minutes from a major city.

Food was OK. Nibbles happen on Sunday while chatting with friends as if I wasn't in charge of the food that goes in my mouth when I'm talking. CREDIT moi that I didn't take a snack along on the hike. I took water because thirst is real when sweating along the trail. Hunger isn't for the duration we planned to be out.

onebyone – Neat that by extra walking you dropped into even more exercise. Stress does seem to contribute many negatives.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat to keep track of how hungry a day feels.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Waving toward the snowed-in Denver airport. Didn't you folks get the message that Spring is here?

maryann - Pecans are healthy. Pecans are good for me. It's good to eat pecans. Man can live on pecans alone. Yep, my brain does favor nuts from the tree. Thanks for the Henry James quote.

nationalparker – That is a long work day. Kudos for keeping sane eating in mind instead of letting resentment justify extra food.

Sandy (love2garden) - "ONE trip to the serving table" solves so many problems at a buffet.

lizardnumbers - Yep, the original book by Dr. Judith Beck is the 42 day plan. We call it the Pink Book. The second book has a green cover and the most recent, the one that's being quoted for Readers, we call the Blue Book. It's terrific that you've found a real-life Diet Coach - nothing can be better. In addition, on-line coaches have the wonderful trait that we never get tired of "I didn't eat a candy bar today" even when sane folk won't think that such a big deal. You've certainly picked out the great Beck strategies to begin working.

There are no instructions on how to use this forum in support of your eating plan and exercise plan. Happily note that each person does it in their own special way. I do advise to not be too eager to start writing personal responses. It can quickly feel like a burden and become a barrier to posting often - which reaps the most benefits. Note that some folks post only one or two personals when they chose to do so. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

Creating Escape Plans for Food Pushers

Most everyone has a food pusher in his or her life - but whether you get caught in a trap is entirely up to you. An escape plan can remind you that it is you - not everyone else - who is in charge of what goes into your body and can help you when you find your resolve weakening. As you become consistently assertive about your desires, you will find that other people are less likely to pressure you. You can start by creating your won escape plans:
  1. Identify a future situation in which a food pusher trap might arise.

2. Record your sabotaging thoughts.

3. Write a compelling response to each sabotaging thought.

4. Develop a list of strategies.

5. Review and revise your escape plan often.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 102
Closed Thread