Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #31  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Was excited to pop in and list my credit today of being hungry after an early lunch and deciding (WHY?) to drive into McD for a small order of french fries. I never do this. The calories would have been okay but the action was not, and I pulled out of line and drove off. Decided I'd have a small meal this afternoon after the carpet cleaners left and well before DH gets home. CREDIT. BUT then I decided I was still "hungry" and not satisfied so 15 minutes later I had a half serving of cereal and tbsp of peanut butter on top of 250 calories of pasta. ARGH. I know my other meals were small and I'm "OK" - not falling off the edge of the Earth, but disappointed that I didn't first off try the hot tea I often turn to.

Now I have a drink that I'm sipping. Dinner will most likely not be large - DH is not feeling well and I don't need one. Thinking of breakfast for dinner - small square frittatas in my really cute small square 3-4" baking dishes that I bought and NEVER use...bought only on the cute factor. Oof. Meatless day for me all around, unless I crumble a bit of turkey bacon on the top of these.

DH's birthday is Saturday and I will bake his cake on Saturday to celebrate with his family on Sunday afternoon. But I would like to make something SMALL to have Sat. p.m. Thought about mini chocolate bundt cakes with fresh raspberries and conf sugar. and I could freeze the remaining ones. My first thought was I'd share with my neighbors but I'd hate to impose food on them like OneByOne has to deal with.

Thanks, Bill, for the book suggestion! I looked that up and then looked at my library and then stumbled upon "Our Mathematical Universe..." (I HATE long book titles - pet peeve). by Max Tegmark. I had to put that audiobook on hold. Not sure if it's kaflooey or legit but it sounded interesting. I do better listening to those than reading them.

Joy - Hang in there - Hoping that you find some relief soon!

FutureFitChick - Thanks for the info on the astronomy groups. The last time we did anything like this was when we were in Glacier National Park and headed to an area at midnight for viewing until 2 a.m. -they'd brought out some LARGE ones and it was pretty amazing. No light pollution there. Setting your table nicely sounds like the start of a great dinner. I pulled out some mercury glass votives and they're on our table, waiting to be lit tonight. A candle-lit frittata hahah. I get that's strange.

Anyone facing down some Super Bowl party goodies this weekend? We're going to watch it and I'll do some tids and bits but not for a lot of folks, so that makes it easier.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi,Coaches and Buddies.

Credit goes to me, for making it through the day. I feel beat up and worn down, but nothing has happened today to cause it. My walk this morning was tortuous. Every step I wanted to go home, but I did do it. I never got to the point of feeling better. But, it was done. Food was difficult. Breakfast was on plan. I don't know if being under for 50-200 kcal for the last several days contributed to this in addition to a bad headache, but I was so hungry and miserable after my walk. I ate lunch right away, which I usually don't do. I went back for more of some leftovers, and I had snacks in the afternoon unlike what I have been doing lately. In all, I was over my plan by 50 kcal, so it could have been worse. I did get some work done.

My husband took pity on me and made dinner, so I did not bother imposing my desire to sit at the table to eat. Tomorrow I will, whether or not he is home to have dinner with me. So, overall, I am disappointed that I ate off plan, but I forgive myself so that I can move forward. I know in previous years the result would have been a lot worse and I would have let it get me off track. I made it through the day.

Bill Blue Eyes, nice work getting in your walk and sticking to the one pork chop MO.

Gardener Joy, sorry to hear the allergens are still getting to you. Good work continuing with +30 minutes of exercise.

National Parker, yay for getting out of line and driving away from the French fries!

One by One, excellent job at tossing what was "not on your plan" AND getting in your exercise.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 02-04-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #33  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Weekend looks ahead.

Coaches:

A good day on plan. Credits for weighing, exercising, posting, tracking, working at the studio and at the guild, buying making and eating my food which adhered to my plan.

At the end of the day, while I was just waiting for DH at his work, I was overwhelmed by fatigue. I could have come home and gone straight to bed. That never works for me unless I'm sick so I stayed up.

My weekend will be spent at the sold out hockey game, at the B&B, also visiting friends and making g prints with my other friend. We drive up one day and drive back the next. I bought some veggies today to cut up.for our trip and I bought some other food to cook up for additional protein (on plan) snacks. I am worried about going off plan though I know Beck says it's OK to calculate 200 or so extra calories for being on the road. I just don't want a free for all attitude to take over. Everyone I see will offer me food. I can expect that and need to plan for it. I need to practice turning it down and being happy to do that vs. feeling sad I'm saying no! Super important detail for me to accept and practice daily.

Off to add to my workbook now.

More tomorrow. Have a good night.

Last edited by onebyone; 02-04-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 176.2/154.2/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the very warm welcome to the group and for letting me know which Judith Beck book you found helpful. I wrote out all my reasons for wanting to lose weight which was the first thing I was supposed to do. (This was a couple of days ago). Since then I've been feeling a little under the weather - extremely tired and feel like I've got a bit of the flu. I'm hoping in the next few days, I will continue with Day 2 of the plan - off to a bit of a slow start.

BillBlueEyes - I found this website by searching the web. I can't recall what my search criteria was but I was looking for a weight loss support group and found TFC. I found the Beck diet by looking at the TFC website. After reading the description of the Beck diet, I thought that this might be the missing piece in my weight loss journey - the cognitive aspect of trying to lose weight.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:23 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - Georgia abolishes primogeniture and entail (1777)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Pumpkin soup for dinner, CREDIT moi. Despite temperatures reaching 60 degrees F again, DW's menu is acting like winter. It's raining right now at 37 degrees F, but 5-8 inches of snow is predicted for today. Waiting to see. Later walked to get milk for cereal in case that's the only thing we have to eat in the cold and dark.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included a lecture at the Boston Athenaeum about the efforts to restore Atlantic Puffins to Egg Rock off the coast of Maine. Some amazingly dedicated volunteers spend summer months on the small island monitoring the Puffins hoping to achieve a self-sustaining colony. It's so encouraging to see positive results as the colony grows in size.

onebyone – This seems so important, "I just don't want a free for all attitude to take over" - Kudos for thinking in advance about your trip.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – LOL at "food doesn't fix allergies" - but I suspect that many folks have tried it.

FutureFitChick – A torturous walk sounds awful - Kudos for persevering. Hope you're feeling better today.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for standing down the call for McD French fries.

flower1 - I agree, the Cognitive Behavior aspect to the Beck strategies appeal to me, also. Kudos for writing down your reasons for wanting to lose weight.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

Escape the No Alternatives Trap

In the meantime, distraction can help you avoid eating. . . .
  • For additional ideas, ask a friend. Or enter "pleasurable activities" in a search engine.

• Once you have your list, see which activities require advance preparation. Do you need to buy a book of crossword puzzles? Inflate the tires on your bike so you can take a ride? Put any required objects (your scrapbook, magazines) along with a copy of the list in an easily accessible box so everything will be ready and waiting when you're upset and have the urge to eat.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 72
Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #36  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Food barely within calories yesterday, credit. Exercise was 3 miles on the treadmill prior to strength training class at the Y, credit. I came home to see an email that there was another problem with the new credit card, which is now a credit card we cancelled and they supposedly will reverse the annual fee. So much for thinking I was going to get some air miles. Paying for tickets is preferable to spending hours on the phone with that company. After that I headed out the door for a hair appointment and ate my lunch late in the afternoon when I returned. Today is a strenuous 5+ mile hike to Tom's Thumb with a couple good friends.

Bill It was warmer in Boston yesterday than it was here in Scottsdale. It is getting back to normal now though and should be in the mid-70's this weekend.

Flower1 I hope you're feeling better soon. It's difficult to think about eating healthy when you're feeling poorly.

Onebyone I'm glad your new plan is off to a good start. Have a great weekend; sounds like fun.

FutureFitChick It is so weird how for no apparent reason we can feel so great on one day and not the next. I hope today is a good day for you.

Nationalparker Glad to hear you're going to REI to hear about the Camino. I attended a talk at REI several years ago that was very informative. We also have a local chapter of American Pilgrims or something like that who meets monthly to answer questions. There is also a FB site that is very informative.

GardenerJoy I hope the allergy symptoms don't last too long. That may be what I've been battling off and on for a couple of weeks. I've never been known to have allergies, but I can't explain these symptoms that come and go.

For those of you who use Overdrive, I want to put another plug in for using the computer to make selections. Boy is it easier, especially to search for a book. I have the sequel to The Art of Hearing Heartbeats on hold and also found Paris by Edward Rutherfud that a friend recommended and it was even available. I will have to do a lot of walking, but that's a good thing. As if by magic they get onto my phone.

I continue to do a great job of maintaining, but not reducing the calories enough to lose. One of these days I will decide whether I really care or not.

Waving to Maryann, Curlyjax, and Loves2garden.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches- its snowing here and all the schools are closed! I didn't think it was going to be a big storm but i guess its going for most of the day and we may get 8 inches. I'm staying home today and will continue my cleaning.
My arms are killing me so I guess I am getting a good work out with them! And today will be shoveling.
We don't have a lot of "bad" things at home so will help anyhow!
More later or tomorrow!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

I never managed a plan yesterday and might have done a bit better on a weird day with one. Today should be considerably less weird -- and, I have a plan. CREDIT!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40, 165/1200 minutes for January, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: I know just what you mean about thinking about hot tea right after I ate something that I didn't need. We need to get "hot tea" burned into our brains somewhere. Hot tea Hot tea Hot tea. Does that help?

karenrn: I loved Paris by Edward Rutherfurd, although I have to say that it didn't hurt that I read it in Paris! I wrote about that experience on my blog: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2013/06/...rd-rutherfurd/
Old 02-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

I'm checking in early because I am experiencing a "Hunger is not an emergency. HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY. HUNGER. IS. NOT. AN. EMERGENCY."-moment. I did a workout DVD today. It was a short work out. Food has been on plan so far, and I am trying hard to keep it that way. I woke up feeling much better than I did yesterday. I am choosing hot tea over off plan food right now. I got a little work done today, more than nothing but less than I needed to.

P.S. I made it through the cravings. Thanks for your support!

Bill Blue Eyes, yummm -- pumpkin soup sounds great! I hope you received exactly the snow you wanted! Thanks for sharing the neat results of the puffins!

Curly Jax, I hope your cleaning is continuing to go well. What are you working on now?

Flower 1, great job pressing on in spite of the slow start. You can do it!

Gardener Joy, congratulations for getting back on track and having a plan today!

Karen, RN, great job getting in your walking and strength training. Sorry to hear your woes with the credit card company continue.

One by One, congrats on another day on plan! Good luck and extra strength on lots of saying no to offered food.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 02-05-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #40  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not my best effort today and not in a great mood after our cats got into a terrible scrum. One is exceedingly aggressive and must be separated at all times from the other but can be with us or the dog ... and I missed seeing a door wasn't latched. And in a matter of seconds, literally, all heck breaking loose. Upset about it all day. Fur is all over - out in tufts. I thought there was a pool of blood on darker carpet and REALLY worried - got the carrier to get her to the vet ... but then discovered it was urine. Scared the pee out of her. So dealt with that as well. Poor thing. They're fine. But as I told DH I love this one (aggressive one) but don't like her at present. Then DH said I jumped on him and didn't say, "hi honey, good to have you home" I just looked at him and turned away. I didn't want to snap with something else. We worked it out later, but I can honestly say I don't remember being greeted that way. ah well. He's sick and I'm irritable, so not the best manners tonight. Apologies for a supremely cranky note.

Joy - HOT TEA! I needed to have checked in here and read that before I ate a 110 calorie maple cream Santa leftover from Christmas this evening. It felt great for the five minutes while I nibbled it while reading a Jeanne Dams mystery. Side note - I like them - have you ever read hers? Set in England and the central character is an ex-pat living there having moved from South Bend, Indiana.

Bill - Embarrassed to say that I had to look up primogeniture ... i didn't try to guess. Now that I know what it means, I should have tried. With our camping stoves and fuel, if we lose power, we'll have hot food for a month. I said I'm not worrying about water if it's bc of a snowstorm, too. Our expected snow next week looks to be minor at this point.

Karen - I'm with you on the Overdrive ... this opened up such another world for me when I got better at it last year.

Better note tomorrow. Furniture comes in the morning slot, so a lot to do before then in the morning. Sleeping in the LR since DH is sick and snoring away. I just want to sleep soundly tonight. I've not gotten good sleep for three nights due to arm pain and misc. stuff. I want to have a better attitude tomorrow for his birthday.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #41  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Great

Coaches

Credits: on plan
Tracked
Exercised
Posted
Planned ahead
Said no
Completed tasks by deadlines
Ready for trip away

Gotta sleep!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #42  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Princess Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II (1952)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – We did get our snow - maybe 5 inches of it, but ever so slushy and heavy. Shoveling was exercise, CREDIT moi. It came down slowly for hours so we were out there several times. I also spent over an hour in a most unpleasant conversation with a series of customer service reps at Comcast - our cable/internet provider. They make is so unpleasant; the computer voice interaction requires that I individually eliminate every choice, that I acknowledge that I know that I paid my last bill, that I acknowledge that my current balance is zero dollars, and that I really, really, want to talk to a rep who, by the way, "Is assisting other customers."

Eating was so unplanned. I converted the snacks between shoveling into my meals for the day; maybe I came out even in calories, maybe not. I was responding to the phrase that Beck uses today, entitled.

onebyone – Sounds like a good day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – The world needs more "considerably less weird."

FutureFitChick – Super Kudos for "HUNGER IS NOT AN EMERGENCY. HUNGER. IS. NOT. AN. EMERGENCY."

nationalparker – Ouch for fighting cats; glad that you've brought it under control. Hope you get some sound sleep. [Yep, without the repeal of primogeniture, since I'm not the first born male, I wouldn't have gotten a share of the estate. Had there been an estate, LOL.]

Karen (karenrn) - I'm with you on being fed up with phone time with companies. Yay for a 5+ mile hike to work it off.

curlyjax - Well, that's a silver lining to being snowed in, "We don't have a lot of 'bad' things at home so will help anyhow!"

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

#3: The Entitlement Eating Trap
You believe you deserve to comfort yourself with food
Sometimes emotional eating traps take a slightly different form: you may or may not believe that you have to eat to feel better, but you think you are entitled to eat.

Beth, a social worker, took care of many people at work but did not always do a great job taking care of herself. Many evenings she left work upset, still thinking about a problem one of her clients was facing. Then she'd stop at a fast-food restaurant, get a really big meal at the drive-through, and finish it while she was driving home. Although Beth knew that eating fast food had packed on the pounds, she found she was unable to stop herself; those meals felt nurturing. She had spent all day trying to help others feel better. "Eating feels like what I do to take care of myself, to make me feel better," she explained.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 72
Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
We got very heavy wet snow, perfect for building snow forts etc. I think about 8-9 inches. We lost power but only briefly thank goodness!! It is so awful to be without heat in the winter. I did realize I need to stock up on flashlight batteries and candles, we seem to have gone through them.
Beautiful sunset with the snow looking picturesque on trees, I wish I had taken a picture!
I did break down and make some dessert last night- feeling entitled as Bill said-there is something about being snowed in that makes my dessert making abilities kick in!
Today we are doing errands and last minute stuff before company comes for dinner. I like these folks but don't know them well so I'm a little anxious but exited to be hosting. We need to get more social so we are doing it by golly!
Futurefitchick- good for you for posting during a craving! That is such a great phrase to remember, isn't it!
Nationalparker- I learned a new word from you- scrum! I'm wondering what that is from! Hope your cats are behaving better today.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #44  
Green Tomatoes

I got distracted by someone else's project this morning. It was fun and I'm glad to help, but I have my own projects to work on this weekend, too. Time to switch over to my stuff.

I haven't made a plan of any kind for today. Pause. Okay. Now, I have a food plan. I can work on the rest of the project plans later. A food plan in place makes it likely that I'll make good choices the rest of the day.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40, 205/1200 minutes for January, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: the Jeanne Dams books sound delightful -- thanks! I just requested the first in the series from the library.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:28 PM   #45  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I returned from Glenwood and appointments with my sis early Friday morning. (actually I traveled in the middle of the night). Was tired and agitated and made a plan and didn't stick with it. I had my smoothie and planned lunch out but had unplanned snacking later in the evening. This morning I made my plan right off and am determined to stick with it. My sis got scheduled for surgery on the 18th then her oncologist moved it into March. My tenant continues to be my biggest agitation....more excuses perhaps some valid but bottom line is they aren't being responsible....don't call back, etc. I think I'm officially "done". I can't get to courthouse until Wednesday perhaps if they contact me before then we can sit down and come up with a workable arrangement. I'm going to try to let it go for today. I have done all I can for now until they choose to contact me.

I'm not too chatty. Feeling a bit depressed. I did make a decision this morning. I'm not going to start any "new" projects at home right now. I am going to focus on 2 things: 1) my foodplan 2) keeping my household chores current. Credit.
Closed Thread