Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:03 AM   #181  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - RIP Giacomo Puccini (1924)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was a second repeat of Thanksgiving; DW is either anxious to get rid of the leftovers or just taking a break, LOL. I'm pleased because it takes me a while to tire of turkey. The major accomplishment of the day was to wrestle with choosing our medical insurer for next year. Because prescription coverage has been separated, I have to select a new one or reselect the old one adding prescription coverage. The websites that I had to venture and the data evaluated is as boring as anything I understand. For all the brouhaha, the options that fit us are limited and I'm most likely to just resubscribe to the same plan as last year.

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening's entertainment in our living room: The King's Speech. It did take me a moment to realize that I knew why his two little girls were named Elizabeth and Margaret. Our last local DVD rental store has closed. Fortunately, the library carries a superb collection of older movies - a good fit for us since we're decades behind.

onebyone – Such moving final gifts from your father - that you'll be reuniting with your cousins and a space for your mother. That sitting-rising test is scary.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that you recognize "But that doesn't mean that I need to eat more later in the day."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Thanks for the perspective, "ultimate goal in my life is balance."

maryann - Kudos for ignoring judgements of others so you can take care of yourself. Smiling at "I believe holding babies scrapes a little crust off a soul"

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for sending away the remaining cake.

nationalparker – Always Kudos for using tea for distraction rather than off-plan food.

curlyjax - Congrats for scoring some deals in Black Friday shopping - with Kudos for making a successful adventure with your DD.

howyoulose - Congrats for renting the hall for your wedding. Kudos for engaging with your Maid of Honor for your own food plan journey. (Is that the two of you in your avatar?)

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #10: Capture "worth-it memories" to remind you why it's worth it to you to stick to your plan.

Here is an entry that Jessica composed:
May 5

I feel great! I went to Abigail's party and I stayed
in control. I had one piece of cake, just as I had
planned, and then I stopped. I really enjoyed the
cake because I ate it slowly and enjoyed every bite -
and completely without guilt. I was tempted to eat
a second piece but I reminded myself that it wasn't
worth it and that I wouldn't enjoy it anyway because
I'd feel guilty about it. I left the party feeling proud;
it's a great feeling. It was totally worth it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 41
Old 11-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #182  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

One of the petals on my Beck flower is 5 minute morning freeweights. I have a standard favorite song. (Thx gardenerjoy) I had been super consistent until I hurt my back and then it was too much. My back is not 100% but is much better. I've started back with my morning add in. It has to be morning....later and I never do it. It was half hearted this morning as my back was still a little stiff but I did it anyway. Credit.

Work today. I've pledged to start bringing my own food to work but I won't do that today. I work a short shift and it's in the back room which is closed during the week. There isn't any food there and I am too busy to eat. I am reminding myself that this IS the season of treats and I never know what I walk in to. I will not eat any sugary treats today.Credit.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #183  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
quick post. food was okay yesterday, not great. DH said lets not have desserts for a week to give ourselves a break so we will try that. The small fry need to get on board too which will be the challenge!
Exercise yesterday was walking around stores picking up a few more odds and ends. Our church sponsors gifts to kids who don't get much for christmas, so I picked up my contribution, a rather awesome lego set. I remember when DS was so into legos, i kind of miss that!
Lexiss- i love the idea of a Beck petal, that is a great idea!Something visual and different.
Off to church, groceries and hopefully a little chat with DS's friend when I drop him off. It's nice when you really like the mom of your kids friends, that doesn't always happen!
Old 11-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #184  
Green Tomatoes

I've not been feeling well for several days and it effects my willingness to eat what's planned. I'm not sure whether it's allergies (we've had rain so the mold count might be up), lack of humidity in the house (in spite of the rain, the house is dry because we've been using the furnace), or that I'm trying to fight off some sort of infection. Just kind of low-grade ickiness. Not even real symptoms to point to or treat. It's probably congestion in the ear and there's just not much to be done about that but wait until it decides to drain away.

So, here's the reminder I need today: I don't know what's causing this, but I know that food won't fix it.

In fact, if I really pay attention, I find I'm not all that hungry. I can lean into that a bit and get ahead by eating less.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +40 1125/1200 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I really liked The King's Speech. I wouldn't mind seeing it again, now that you reminded me of it.

onebyone: I got an 8 on the sitting / rising test after a couple of tries. I can sit due to all the squats and lunges I've done in recent years. But it takes both hands to get back up again. I have a hard time imagining how I would do better. Get the excess weight back off? More yoga? I'm not actually sure if either of those would work. Interesting.
Here's what helped me the most, from a quirky book called Play As If Your Life Depended On It by Frank Forencich. Think about what I want my body to be able to do in ten years. He's talking about real functional stuff here -- the answer isn't "run a 10K" unless that's something I passionately enjoy doing. For me, it was "be able to work in the garden without pain" and "be able to walk around a city all day while traveling with a reasonable amount of energy." To get me there, I need a fair amount of walking, some strength-training (my secret to gardening without pain is to never bend over -- so squats and lunges become very functional when I work in the yard), and just enough stretching to keep from injuring myself while doing those other things.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #185  

Hello Coaches,

After 10 days off work I am having to gear myself up for tomorrow. I still have a horrible pain in my shoulder/neck/arm. The chiropractor helped a bit, apparently I had a rib tip out and once it was back in place it took all of the pain away in that area - but this other....I go back again on Tuesday. I also begged the receptionist to tell my deep tissue therapy gal to please put me in any cancellations. My next appointment isn't until Christmas Eve. She is that good.

onebyone: My condolences. I often wonder how I will feel with my own father passes away. He has been out of my life for decades, even after I kept in touch for years and years. That said, I do believe strongly in the afterlife and am certain your father was greet with love, grace, compassion, and forgiveness. I am glad you were able to reconnect before he passed.

gardenerjoy:
My goal is to be active - to be able to go what I want to do. I recently passed the half century mark but remarked to my husband I feel so lucky that I am healthy enough to work out, participate in what I want to participate in and enjoy doing and being. I couldn't get up without my hands either, and I do yoga on a regular basis. I think my bottom end was working it's gravity

It has rained for three straight days here. Chickens are staying under the porch in back - it will be a mess to clean up but no one wants to get drench carrying them out to the hen house.

DH has two job interviews in two weeks. Both are about a 45 minute drive away - not ideal, but either one would definitely be a blessing. Not taking anything for granted, but praying for the best.

Watched a documentary on Joan of Arc and decided I need to find a book about her to read more. History is so interesting and I know so little of it!

Have a great Monday.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:48 AM   #186  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Food is returning closer to normal. I'm trying to recognize that just because it's leftover and we're doing good to use them up, they still have calories...treat for the week was dinner at our pizza spot downtown and then driving by the lights. Started with salad and mine is always just cheese on thin woodfired crust. Less cheese that's better quality makes the difference here.

Quiet day...lots of reading. Dread returning to work...not sure why.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #187  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Sir Winston Churchill born (1874)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – My standard Sunday walk was drizzled away so I went out after lunch, CREDIT moi. I was deterred, of course, by the local bookstore; they put out new books faster than I can even skim them. I ordered two new books from the library after reading the New York Times Review of Books. My numbers are low enough that I may get both before the year ends.

Eating was OKish. We're still working on Thanksgiving leftovers and DW is serving large-ish size portions perhaps to make them disappear faster. We celebrate each plastic container that gets removed from the fridge. (Remembering fondly that John F. Kennedy said of Sir Winston, "He mobilized the English language and sent it into battle.")

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I like the clarity: "I don't know what's causing this, but I know that food won't fix it."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for your consistency with those five minutes of free weights every morning. Congrats to your Denver Broncos for their hard fought victory over the New England Patriots (in American football) in overtime last night.

nationalparker – Yep, we suffer from not remembering "just because it's leftover and we're doing good to use them up, they still have calories." Yay for a planned good pizza.

curlyjax - A week without desserts is a Kudos worthy idea.

SuzLen - Welcome back to school! Nice to hear that you've found some relief for the shoulder. When you find a good book about Joan of Arc let me know; my understanding of her is truly confused.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #10: Capture "worth-it memories" to remind you why it's worth it to you to stick to your plan.

Capturing "worth-it memories"
  • Increases your pleasure and pride. As you focus on these positive situations, you prolong the experience and the positive emotions that come from the awareness that you've stayed in control of your eating.

• Increases your motivation when the going gets tough. Reviewing these personally meaningful and important memories allows you to visualize and relive these positive moments at a deep level. Remembering how good those moments felt creates a warm feeling of accomplishment that will give you energy to keep going, especially when staying in control is difficult, so you can achieve your goal of lasting weight loss.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 42
Old 11-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
eating continues okayish. I didn't make a plan yesterday but i don't think i overdid it. we did end up having a dessert but will really try today to start the week without!
I started having that achy type feeling you can get when you have the flu, last night and its still with me. I don't have chills or high temp, just overall bleagh. I have to go into work today for a bit by I will avoid people and maybe come home. Its been so long since i've been sick, it takes me by surprise!
Suzlen- sending good wishes for your DH job interview. It gets discouraging for mine- he keeps getting interviews and a few second ones but then no offers. I do think there is some age discrimination going on. At least he is doing some contract work which helps.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:53 AM   #189  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I can't believe it is already Monday again. Saturday was a very good on plan food day, credit. Yesterday was okay, but I had a dish of ice cream that I didn't need. My weight was only 1/2 pound up yesterday, but today it looked like one pound. My goal is to really stay on plan this week. I would love to be down a few pounds by Christmas.

Curlyjax Take care and I hope you don't have the flu.

Bill Luckily we didn't have too many leftovers except turkey, and most of it is in the freezer. Good luck on the medical plan selection. I'm on an individual plan which is less than going on dh's group plan, but I don't get much and the deductible is very high.

Nationalparker I'm glad you had a nice quiet day yesterday and hope your return to work is better than expected.

Suzlen I hope your shoulder/neck pain is relieved soon. That sounds miserable.

Gardenerjoy I think you all must be spreading something among yourselves. I hope you are feeling better soon too. Great to remind yourself that food isn't the answer.

Lexxis I like the idea of your Beck Flower. So much more creative than a list.

Waving to howyoulose and Maryann.

My goals for these few days are to be diligent with my food plan, get the Christmas decorations up (we brought them in from the garage yesterday and the tree is up) and get a good start on the Christmas cards.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #190  
Green Tomatoes

I'm never sure whether it's better to resist feeling icky (sometimes it goes away if I ignore it) or accept it and deal with reality. Yesterday's acceptance was definitely the right choice. I ate better and got more done, but in a low-key way -- appropriate for a semi sick day. I'm feeling a bit better this morning, I think. Which may mean that it was the dry house causing the problem. DH started up the extra humidifier so that should help.

I haven't got a full food plan for today because I haven't planned food for the week yet, but that's next on the list!

WI: -0.15 kg, Exercise: +40 1165/1200 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 AM   #191  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Hello All. Long time no visit. In the (long) meantime, I've been "vaguely" following Beck and you all know how successful vagueness is. LOL. I think of the lyrics to Joan Baez's song "Diamonds and Rust"
"You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague"
So, yeah, I've done REAL well at keeping things vague.
But no more.
Time to restart.
And I'm thankful to have all y'all here to share the journey... and to help as coaches.
Thanks much coaches...
Ani
Old 11-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #192  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Welcome back, Ani! Good to see you back here! We're in the time of the year when DH and I always think of moving to Florida (my home, not his). Aahh... in only more than a decade when we retire if we can retire early.

Changed ticker to back where I was on Halloween - restarting again (stop laughing!) ... argh. Figured a new ticker look has to help, right? I almost am getting to the point where I'm wondering why I don't care about my weight all the time. I've been a Beck lapser and NOT reading the text, except what you're posting here, Bill ... clearly not enough to get inside my brain. SO ... I want to start monthly cards - this month why I want to lose weight and goals I'd like to see. I stop paying attention when I'm not changing them up.

Food - on plan today. Good first step. I'm sitting next to cookies that I'll give DH one more shot at when he swings by, then they're going down the garbage disposal.

OneByOne - thanks for the link on the healthy down/up. I did need one hand to push up so not a 10 for me, either. Tried it many times and each time, I stalled out without that hand.

I've got 17 days to work until the Christmas holiday break. Actually only 16 because I'll receive a comp day from this weekend, and I'd like to take that on Wednesday. Would also like Friday afternoon from home, so we'll see. I'm in countdown mode.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #193  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Super Credit for sending November into the books with a record - No sweets at work for one month. I am going to carry on into December and try to do the unthinkable - ignore all the xmas home baked treats in the staffroom. My plan is to bring a small piece of anything rare and homemade back home where I will eat it sitting down. I will add food to maintain the correct balance of protein, carb and fat. I am doing the Zone.

Weight is now just two pounds above ticker and I am grateful Thanksgiving didn't set me any farther behind.

Food is in MFP. Plan is to do a short walk tomorrow while DS is at music practice then maybe some stretches and standing planks against the music building wall. If someone sees me Oh Well.

Food is packed in the frig. Long week at work. I will need lots of energy and I will not use food for it.

Suzlen: I am sorry about your pain. I have a first rib out as well. Be careful with yourself. This is not easy as a teacher of small ones.

nationalparker: I believe in restarts and every choice counts.

BBE:Re: Joan of Arc - I want to write a historical fiction - action adventure for teens featuring saints. I can't find anything to give DS and he would love it.

Ani: Welcome back.

Two nights in a row, I cancelled my evening treat because my calories were over. This is a very rare thing for me to do. Maybe it will tempt me to not go over midday so i can have a treat in the evening.

Last edited by maryann; 11-30-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #194  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the December 2015 Thread

Please join us as this discussion continues on:
You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:.
Closed Thread