Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #166  

Happy Black Friday,

I enjoy this day by going absolutely nowhere. In no way, shape or form do I find shopping on this day fun.

My goal for today was to restart my pink book, but alas I have borrowed it out and the library doesn't have a copy. Sad day. I hate to ask for the book back, but I also hate to buy another one........

It was an uneventful travel home yesterday. It would appear that our dog sitter didn't really "sit" at our house like she was supposed to. Let's just say our dog didn't get out like he was supposed to and our house smelled like it when we walked in the door. I was not happy! Felt the worst for our poor dog. She also didn't take care of the hens or eggs because the left overs of possums enjoying the eggs was evident in the back yard. She is not my regular dog sitter, and needless to say won't be used again. I was extremely disappointed and upset.

BillBB: You family visit sounded wonderful. Nothing is better than having family around.

onebyone: I am glad you are using your veggeti, we bought one last summer for my son who has celiac. He loves the zuchinni "pasta" - and there are a million blogs and websites with recipes....who knew?!?!

howyoulose:
I am so glad you are back!

Lexxis: What is the "Beck Flower"??

I have been suffering with a crick in my neck that has now frozen up my shoulders, neck and the pain is radiating down my arm. I got a deep tissue massage which alleviated some of it, but I am still unable to move enough to exercise and the pain in my arm is increasing. I am saving the doctor as a last resort.........will see if the chiropractor is in today first.

Have a super Friday - for those of you shopping - be safe!!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #167  

Height: 5' 2"

SuzLen Glad you enjoyed Black Friday the BEST way, relaxed at home!!!

So sorry your poor dog and the hens were neglected by the one you hired to help each one. Sure your sore muscles were not helped by the stress you felt.

Bill Glad you recognized the clock is ticking on left overs that are NOT refrigerated. I've preached forever to others that stuff should be tossed rather than take a chance on eating food left out WAY too long. Sometimes I almost wish I didn't know better.

NationalParkerLoved the image of the hill - and choosing the important ones. I, too, get frustrated at tail gaiters and even more now after being "rear-ended" in August. Second is those shoppers who stand in middle of isles, blocking all others, while they talk or text. Thanks to Mom who made me very aware I could be making life hard for another and check to make sure I'm not blocking another. (Of course this may also contribute to me lack of enjoyment of shopping.)

Debbie, Beck Flower? I've tried to figure what other word you could have meant.

Polish Dinner at Grandson's tomorrow night should be fun for us all as we have first family party in his new home.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 PM   #168  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Friday.

Coaches

Got word from my sister that my father died in his sleep last night. Today, this morning they found him dead. A peaceful end that was a long time coming. I am glad we.made the trip last month but feel terrible I didn't send him the cards and letters I promised. I feel worse about that than his death right now. My reaction is odd. But how do you feel for someone who was absent? We didn't tell him his son, my brother, had passed. I don't believe in an afterlife but cannot dismiss the idea that my brother could.have been there to welcome him in over. Perhaps all is finally forgiven between them. It's a comforting thought.

I weighed in this morning at 268.5. Lower carb suits me. I'm feeling good. Feeling strong. Tonight we ate raw veggies and dip. We had planned nachos (a carb splurge) but nixed it as neither of us were really that hungry. Credit for plans. Credit for posting.

Bye for now.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:53 AM   #169  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Not my best effort today. Still have another hour or so of work to go. Data is running right now, so wanted to check in. Received a coat I'd ordered in an XL (14-16) and it's okay with a sweater on but would be marked better down 10 pounds. I am very critical in my thinking to keep or return items now because I used to keep something new even if it wasn't really doable if it was a good deal or I especially liked it. This coat was a superb deal, and it is doable. More flattering, though, if the wearer was less puffy.

OneByOne - I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing - I know it was coming but it still is hard to handle heading into the darkness of winter, I think. Maybe just look at the photos again that you were going to send on to him - you never know what his spirit/energy is aware of now. I don't really KNOW my beliefs in afterlife for certain, but I've felt presences at times and want to believe they were good energies

Bill - Love the image of the turkey on a platter with homegrown parsley being paraded around. Too cool! We have ample leftovers for many meals here. I need to NOT worry about using them up before they spoil. I need to worry more about calories in. We're in day one of three solid days of rain - that'll be coming your way, I expect.

SuzLen - We join you in no shopping today. It's been an annoyance to me all of the ads/commercials/emails to BUY BUY BUY. I would have been very angry at a petsitter that didn't "sit" ... I had that years ago and was furious - empty water bowls, etc. I called her up and asked what family emergency had caused her to leave town in such a hurry she didn't even alert me? HUH? It was a semi-friend, too. I don't seek out conflict but that was one of my "hills" (worth fighting for) haha. I feel your pain.

Joy - Your time babyholding sounds great - I like hearing that your plan panned out. Again, you've impressed me with the steady exercise this month!!

Karen - I hope the cake came out wonderful! And that you enjoyed an extra bite for me However, I did eat a couple of the small pumpkin spice cookies - I figured out the cal and they're just under 100. When did eating a couple of cookies in one day become acceptable for me? Probably the same time my jeans got too tight for comfort. ARGH. I admire your daily hikes - such an investment in your health and attitude, I think.

I got to thinking, when mid-afternoon I thought, "I've blown it again," that nearly always my day is rescue-able ... It's when I slide into that TOO MUCH mental state and just keep on going, that I, like many, get into trouble. I'm pulling forward that image of getting off the interstate when I miss my exit and not driving on, stupidly. EXIT! will be my new mantra when I run into that challenge.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #170  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday - Red Planet Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did a gym session alone, CREDIT moi, discovering when I arrived that classes were cancelled for Thanksgiving week. When I asked, they pointed to a small notice on a counter used by the instructors. I don't know where they could have put it since I don't look ANYWHERE for notices when I go to the gym. No big deal. I did the stuff that I like to do that doesn't happen in the class - and I did NO PLANKS, thank you very much.

Dinner was leftovers of exactly our Thanksgiving meal. I do like a leftover turkey sandwich so I hope that it doesn't run out before I get one. My trip to the supermarket was on nearly deserted streets into a nearly empty parking lot and with eerily few other customers. Perhaps I was the only person not at a Black Friday sale. I take pride in never having been to a Black Friday sale.

onebyone – Sending supportive thoughts as you experience the feelings of the loss of you father. Kudos for continuing your journey with raw veggies and dip. Hope sales go well today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the notion of the aunt who might be able to reach the difficult niece. [Thanks for the link to Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine - on my Bucket List.]

nationalparker – Love "EXIT! will be my new mantra when I run into that challenge" - it's such a common thought to give up after wandering a bit off path. Kudos for working your body image issues with a new coat. I wish for us all that there'll be the day when we don't think about our bodies - we just use them.

Karen (karenrn) - A 90 minute walk pairs well with German chocolate cake - good choices.

Sandy (love2garden) - Hope dinner at your Grandson's goes well.

SuzLen - Ouch for that crick in the neck - hope you get relief soon so you can get exercising back on track. Sorry to hear that your dog and chickens were neglected for the duration.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #10: Capture "worth-it memories" to remind you why it's worth it to you to stick to your plan.

Keep a "worth-it memories" section in your notebook, create an entirely new memory journal to capture these accomplishments, or write these experiences on index cards or on an electronic device. Perhaps best of all would be a diary app that provides you with the opportunity to write about these situations and to include a photo or video that captures the experience. Read through your memories at least once a week when dieting is easier and once a day when dieting gets harder.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 41
Old 11-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #171  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

gardenerjoy - that really cheered me up as corny as it sounds. I guess we're all, truthfully, afraid of success and failure at the same time because one comes with the other.

I had a good chat with my maid of honour last night and we've both been on a mission to lose weight before my wedding. We decided we're making a bet together because we're both very competitive and we know it will drive us to do better. At the same time Tone It Up (the nutrition plan I've been using on and off) did a major overhaul and sent out an entirely new updated version so I feel like this might be a sign of things to come.

Everyone here is so supportive. I wish my mother was even an ounce as supportive. She keeps buying me clothes because I keep making plans to go shopping with her and then refuse to go and tell her I'm too tried/sick/something/anything really to avoid the whole thing because I'm TERRRRRRRRRRIBLE at shopping these days (especially with her). It's not that I don't appreciate the gesture it's that she keeps buying me these long baggy tops and crap that aren't my style, telling me I need to hide my behind and my hips and everything and it's just so demotivating. Every time she does this I go home and binge because I get so upset, which is the exact opposite of what I should be doing. AND THEN she goes and says something like we can't go wedding dress shopping until I drop at least thirty pounds. Shouldn't she love me at any size and want to take me wedding dress shopping whatever I look like? I realize it's mildly trivial compared to other problems but this literally brings me to tears. We made the deposit on our hall yesterday and her first comment was about me needing to lose weight. I was totally excited and she completely crushed me.

onebyone - I find that often when a relative dies it's the little things that I regret the most, little things that I swore I would do. My uncle died recently and I sent out the thank you cards for my engagement party a little late. My aunt unfortunately received it the day after the funeral and I was more upset over that than his death. Death brings about funny emotions in all of us and I think how we cope is part focusing on those little things. Either way I'm sorry to hear about your father, I hope you're doing alright.

nationalparker - you sound like me when it comes to shopping/clothes. I haven't bought anything but, ironically, workout clothes in months and months and I rarely work out because I can't stop thinking about how something would look better on me if I were thinner.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #172  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
sorry i've been off a few days, I got off my usual routine.
We tried doing some new things for thanksgiving, so we wouldn't get too sad/depressed over not being with family, and it was a good idea. We all participated in a 5K walk/run in the morning (well, I limped since my leg was still hurting!) and went to a potluck for the thanksgiving meal. It was very nice to be with other folks, and we got to bring home some leftover turkey too, my favorite part of the meal!
I have been eating way too much so i'm just going to say, getting back on track today and move on.

I did indulge in black friday shopping and it wasn't too bad, the parking was probably the worst part! Other than one really long wait things moved along, and it was kind of fun being in a crowded mall, especially since DD and I were getting along (of course it was her idea to be there!) And I did snag a few deals for my hard to fit DH so i'm feeling good that I am ahead for Christmas shopping for once!

I will try to do some personals later- but for now just saying to Onebyone- I'm so sorry for the loss of your father, I know you have had a hard time with all that recently. Nice thought about he and your brother finding peace together.
Happy weekend all!
Old 11-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #173  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I did a little better with serving sizes yesterday and got a reward on the scale -- especially nice because we had a salty stir-fry for supper.

Today's challenge is an awkwardly timed class. I'll want breakfast and lunch early. But that doesn't mean that I need to eat more later in the day.

WI: -0.2 kg, Exercise: +45 1085/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

love2garden & BillBlueEyes: I'm always the one cleaning up the turkey in SiL's kitchen. She's vegetarian so it's hard to get her to think too much about it. But, she appreciates my effort.

onebyone: sorry about your father. That's going to be some weird grief journey for you, I think. I know that it will, already has, reopen the grief for your brother. Take care of yourself at this time. I love nationalparker's idea to look through the things you were going to send to your father and believe that's a way of sending them to him now. My beliefs are fairly flexible these days and I choose the one that represents the best care for myself and other is this moment.

nationalparker: EXIT! That's a great mantra -- thanks!
Old 11-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Thanksgiving was fine. I am most grateful for the memories DS will have playing with his cousins. On alternate years we are with extended family of DH( 70 plus people.) Most of them I don't know and have been unsuccessful in establishing connections. It is in a rented hall. I have identified that my anxiety level rises after everyone has eaten and people are not efficient cleaning up. I gave myself a pass this year. I did not want to be tempted to lift anything and hamper the health progress I have made. I went and sat in the car, content to be in the quiet and do a little online shopping. I ignored the voice in my head saying people were judging me lazy. I don't know if I have ever been called lazy in my life. I am usually criticized for pushing people too hard. Funny how we shape our self image by our fears and not by reality.

Scale is up four pounds but I have a plan to get it back down.

Curleyjax: You and I can hop on the wagon again today. It is not how far you fell off but how quickly you hop back on. My food is in MFP. Countdown to bday.

howtolose: I had a critical parent and I carry the weight of his comments thirty five years later. I was fifteen years old and woke up to "Good Morning, You Fat Cow." I would like to touch your shoulder with a magic wand and wish all the damage away but I have never found the wand. I have, however, learned to be a loving voice in my own head ( not always but often) saying "You are enough." Mostly I have healed myself with loving actions. At my highest weight I found clothes that looked and felt beautiful. As I lost some weight ( I started above 200) I donated the clothes and bought new ones. I spent some money on my hair. I chose loving friends and a husband who believe I am beautiful. I intentionally compliment others and watch as their faces light up. This brings good karma in my life.

onebyone: Thinking about you with the passing of your dad.

gardenerjoy and BBE: I believe holding babies scrapes a little crust off a soul. I am a little shinier this week as well.

love2garden: I am now famous for tossing food. In a few cases I have been angrily rebuked. Once for throwing away the last 2 tablespoons of a communal guacamole that was out for several hours. Oh Well.

KarenRN: I hoped you enjoyed that cake.

Last edited by maryann; 11-28-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #175  

S/C/G: 178/172/100

Height: 4'11

maryann: that's absolutely beautiful. I'm lucky enough to have a soon to be husband who met me when I was skinnier and has since then never ceased to call me beautiful from the day we met. It's just sometimes hard to focus on the good than the bad. I've never considered myself a good person, but I always try to do the right thing and above all, always be polite. I know words and people can hurt and a little compliment goes a long way and you truly sound like a wonderful genuine person. I wish I could sound half as positive as that.

gardenerjoy: congratulations on your little victories today!

curlyjax: I can't remember the last time I even attempted walking 3k so kudos to you for even limping a 5k. It's always nice snagging a few deals, especially for other people.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #176  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in. The family dinner yesterday was very fun and I thoroughly enjoyed my cake. I sent the left over cake home with the two young families. My nephew and niece and their spouses are thin, and I mean thin. They were happy to take the cake and I'm glad to have it out of the house.

Today I am back on the plan. So far, so good, credit. Dh and I did a two hour strenuous hike this morning, credit, and I read my cards before getting out of bed.

I think the thing I feel best about it just getting back on plan after a few splurges.

Onebyone I am sorry to hear that your father died. I hope you focus more on what you did do and not what you wished you had. I'm sure he was so happy that you came to visit him that nothing could compare to that.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #177  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Weight inches back down and I am being mindful with food choices. I made vegetable barley soup today with turkey bones. Tasty. I am actively resisting off limit foods and have put bubbly waters in the fridge for a treat later on. I am indulging in taking a time out to read a book today. It's a Southwest mystery taking place in the Monument Valley of Northern Arizona. I go back to work tomorrow.

Onebyone, sorry for your loss still grateful for the time tou got to spend with your dad. ((Hugs))

lovetogarden, bored with charts I draw my "Beck flower" on a sheet of paper with a pretty colored marker. In the center I write "Balance". Each petal represents a different task....weigh, track food, read cards, 5 min. Light weights, declutter.....whatever I want to add for that week. I base my philosophy on Ch. 9 in the green book. Where to go from here. It works for me. Why ultimate goal in my life is balance.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:45 PM   #178  
persist

Default Today

Coaches

Today I'm irritable and starting to feel a bit sad. I thank you all for your condolences. My father's death has.me and my sister reconnecting with cousins, the three children of my father's sister. We are planning a get together/reminiscing reunion at my aunt's cottage next summer. I look forward to exchanging stories. They will all be new to me.

Also discovered my father had a.resting place with his parents and sister in the Ottawa cemetery where I went when my grandmother died. It's nice, Gothic even, and well maintained. In 100 years I'm sure you'll be able to read the gravestones. The extra surprise is there is room for my mother, and that, as we say, solves that. My mother made no plans and gave.no directions as to where to be buried. My parents divorced but they loved each other and reunited once not that long ago. Anyway we have no other plan at this moment.

Tomorrow I go to the Guild sale for my sales shift. I haven't told the Potters my news and I don't want to. Another day maybe. We'll see. I can't take the looks of concern right now. I'm not ready to talk about it with anyone but a select few.

Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:57 PM   #179  
persist

Hi again! Forgot I found this and wanted to share it. Kind of scary, but interesting. What do you guys think about it? I think injuries could skew the verity of this test.

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-we...-you-will-live
Old 11-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #180  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Again, not my best effort. You would think that admitting to that here would be a deterrent. Apparently not. Overall not a disaster, but I feel I'm so far from being 100% on track, that is making it easy to be less than stellar.

Credit = turned to tea, both hot and cold, to distract myself. Wore tighter jeans to be more aware. DH suggested pizza for dinner and we remembered the fridge of leftovers, so tabled that to the healthier pizza joint for tomorrow, to "celebrate" the end of November and the end of my weekend project.

HowYouLose - one line that I've used for family and so-called friends, is "Why would you say that to me?" or "Why would you ask that?" It deflects the impact of what they've said back onto them, and their boldness/inappropriate lines. Even if they reply, "I want to help you..." you can say, "I'll let you KNOW when I need your help." Good luck. You're an adult and feeling you have to accept clothes you don't like/won't really wear repeatedly (a one-time thing is different, in my mind) is a waste of her money and your own closet space. So sorry to hear that.

More personals later or tomorrow. Have another four to five hours to go and I'm not a night owl... a few weekends a year, though, is better than many.

Wondering why, if my signature is checked, does it not show up. Hm.

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-28-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Closed Thread