Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #91  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - Lucy holds football for Charlie Brown (1952)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, enjoying the chill in the air. The trees are looking bare. I stopped at a yard sale just as it was closing and all items were FREE. I only took a few CD's, including Handel's The Messiah and another disk of Great Choral Music. I wasted a portion of the evening watching the New England Patriot's football game against the New York Giants. It proved worth the time as the game was decided with one second left on the game clock. The Patriots won with the help of a chunk of good luck.

The good weather enticed us to a gentle walk in a nearby town where sometimes there are good birds. A Black-crowned Night Heron made it special. Eating was OKish. I seem to be determined to nibble when it's not necessary.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I'm going to try to remember this today, "No more snacks because I don't need them."

maryann - Kudos for the fundamentals in line for the day. [You got me playing Copeland's Rodeo as I type.]

nationalparker – Appreciated "Staying on track has to be more important than the scale number."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 2 Foundation Strategies to Escape Your Traps

Foundation Strategy #7: Manage hunger and cravings.

Continue to add to the list as you think of other activities. Then, when you encounter a trap, engage in one activity after another until the urge to eat subsides.

Managing your hunger and cravings
  • Helps keep you on track. When temptation hits, you'll be able to tell yourself, "Big deal. It's just an urge to eat. It will go away."

• Increases your confidence. When you get really good at this skill, you won't have to fear potential traps! You'll know that you can definitely accept the mild discomfort of not eating.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 37
Old 11-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #92  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Awake. Early.

Hi Coaches and Good Morning:

I've been awake since 4 and finally I just decided to get up and check in here.

I woke up thinking about food, eating, dieting, losing weight. Specifically I woke up thinking I need to restrict my carb intake. My sugar consumption has been only moderately restricted and the white flours have become and everyday event as well. Veggies are falling by the wayside. I can't keep doing the same old same old when I am under stress or pressure. I am seeking a "new normal".

I finally feel I am ready to tackle this in a real way once more. All my craft shows are done, including the farmers' market and I have resisted signing up for the winter indoor markets. I am sure if I change my mind there will be space for me, and if not, there is the whole world of online selling.

More important is getting work done for my application to the MFA program in printmaking due mid January. I've decided to simply take the steps to apply. I'll take the other steps needed if/when I get accepted. Only 2-3 graduate students are accepted every year so my chances are slim. Plus I have to be able to fund the whole thing. Plus I have not discussed this with DH yet. Many unanswered questions but that doesn't bother me.

What bothers me more is my weight, my appearance, my inability to really move on that front. I need to make some progress. The days/weeks/months/years are passing me by without any significant change happening. *credit* though for not re-gaining what I have lost. And *credit* for always re-grouping whether it leads to the Great Leap Forward or not at least I have not abandoned the pursuit.

More later.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #93  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm glad it's Monday, I need a bit of a restart. The last three nights have been dinners out. All of them with too much sodium, but probably only Saturday with too many calories. Friday and Saturday I had good hikes, credit. Dh continues to do well with the hiking and on Saturday we did almost 3 hours. Yesterday I decided to take the day off of exercise despite the fact that it kept me from winning the weekly step challenge.

I just read my cards, credit, and have a food plan for the day. I have greeter duty at the trailhead from 8 to 10 and if it isn't raining I will hike after that. I made plans to fly to Washington in early January for a friend's retirement party. There will be lots of people I know there and I'm trying to keep it in mind for additional motivation thru the holidays.

I'm still fighting the blues/grief and realize it has brought up the previous losses of parents, brother and a sister in law who was a good friend. There is a meeting at church regarding getting thru the holidays with grief and I think I'll go. Any little tidbits that help are good. My immediate family is so small I really depend on friends thru the holidays.

Onebyone I am a firm believer that the only way to succeed is to "Never Quit". I have my better times and my worse times, but I never give up. One day at a time.

Bill I hear you about not comparing ourselves to the lean, muscular (and usually young) people at the gym. I try to remember that many my age are not getting any exercise, or at least not much.

Maryann I also use MFP for keeping track of my food and exercise. I need to tighten it up a bit today and be sure I am measuring and weighing more than eye balling. Have you gotten out for a hike yet? I think one of the things I like best about hiking is I can spend a lot more time exercising and really enjoying it. One of my motto's, "I hike to eat!"

Gardenerjoy I like the way you really analyze what you are doing. The card I'm going to focus on this week is "Emotions are not an emergency."

Nationalparker Good job staying on plan. I'm sure the weight loss will follow. It's hard to get in the Christmas spirit in Arizona because of the weather. The cues are the store displays instead of the weather. I'm about ready to listen to Christmas music too.

Waving toLove2garden, Lexxis and Curlyjax.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
sorry I have been missing, my mornings have been busier than usual and that's when I usually post.
On Saturday I went to take an exam to get a license and I passed! It's for an LSW and I have been working towards it a long time by work experience and getting clinical supervision, its not a taking classes thing. It could open some doors for me in the future in terms of other jobs so I'm glad it's finally done, I really wasn't sure I would pass it. It's good to know I can accomplish a goal occasionally!
Karenrn- I think this is a really hard time of the year for many folks. I'm glad you have some good friends to help, and the church thing sounds good. We always spent thanksgiving with my in laws and now we need to think of some new traditions. I really don't want to sit around the house on thanksgiving with just the four of us, so I'm trying to talk my DH into finding some alternatives.
More tomorrow, thinking of you all!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Good news for many today it seems. Onebyone and KarenRN have maintained their weight losses. Dipping into the lower decade is a big deal and I will join you both in a lower decade (150s) by the end of November. (I just changed 'hope to join" with "will join". )

And the other good news is curleyjax passing her test. I know we are suppose to be intrinsically motivated and all of that but the truth is is feels great to get a little extrinsic pat on the back.

Credit for another day OP although the scale was up a pound and I have to think it is because I worked out three days in a row. Credit for focusing on long term gain rather than a certain number. Food is in MFP.

I am taking my first walk today. It is not Karen's hike but it is a first in months since the bursitis in my knees. I have a knee appt in two weeks to make sure there is not another problem. Credit for chanting inwardly "keep active. Active heals you more quickly" My PT says it is the people who stop moving who have the most problems.

BBE: I am listening to the soundtrack of About Time. I highly recommend this movie to anyone. It is from the same director as "Love Actually" and is very light fare but with a a provoking thought about spending time on what we value.

Our PecanPicking count looks to be about 80 with a sunny 70 degree forecasted in full fall foliage along the Sacramento River. I'll take a picture and post it.

Last edited by maryann; 11-16-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #96  

Height: 5' 2"

MaryAnn Good news that you are taking your walk, hope the doctor's appointment show improvement, and no further problem with your knees. True: Activity heals us more quickly. Need to remember it today.

Bill noticed your problem with your bank and sympathize. My bank is 17 miles away so I'm there only when I have another appointment near by. Used to be no problem when I was working, but developing into problem now.

Pecan picking along Sacramento River? I'd like to be there.

Blood testing this morning and noticed Dr failed to test AC1 so I went to his office to request he add it since the lab tech offered to hold the blood vials for a bit of time. I worry more about Diabetes than any other problem after loosing my Grandmother to it and 2 sisters. Surprised that it wasn't on my lab test. Next week I'll ask Dr. why.

Warm enough for a walk, see you all soon.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #97  
Green Tomatoes

Posting late. Yesterday went fine after I finally made a plan. CREDIT for making a plan last night that I have, then, mostly followed today.

CREDIT for passing the half-way point on this month's exercise yesterday, at the half-way point of the month.

CREDIT for posting today even though it's late and feels weird. It's helping my word count to get up and work first thing in the morning, but I think my life flows better if I make my 3FC posts first -- they don't take that much time!

WI: NC kg, Exercise: +40 610/1200 minutes for November, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #98  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm struggling against wanting to eat my frustration this evening. I'm not sure WHY I'm cranky - the day was not bad. Busy, but I accomplished a lot at work. Have two busy weeks coming up. Heated up dinner quickly - I'd made it last night. Decided even though DH was working, I was going to reset my attitude and ate by candlelight, turning out all lights near there and savored my dinner. I cut the portion a good deal to see what would satisfy. But then added 250 calories later when stomach was rumbling BUT I was also a bit grumbly and could have probably been okay with a diet soda or tea.

Dressed up nicely for work today and it was apparent that I don't dress up in skirts often for work ... received so many compliments. Whenever I buy a skirt or dress, DH is always very complimentary but I guess I look better in a skirt. Less peg-leg Anyway, (sorry, Bill), a run to Kohls is in order before I can wear many of my dresses because I need a good shaper to feel a bit more confident. I've been trying to pull together new looks, but think I need a few more scarves or ... ??

Getting a lot of small things tackled tonight. Staying busy has been a key for me. Scale still at 173.6.

I reread some of my journal and the one thing that keeps surfacing is that I want to get back into yoga, but I'm not willing to pay for classes... so why do I not commit on my own to doing it at home? I am going to check my dvds and check netflix and see what the options are. I can order one off amazon and commit to it a few mornings or evenings, depending on schedule. Goal - at least stretch a bit tonight. Baby steps.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #99  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Queen Elizabeth I ascends (England, 1558)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Kept food on plan, CREDIT moi, by choosing to have dinner at my favorite falafel place. They encourage stacking the pita bread with all their salad condiments. And, they accepted a 20 Euro bill (left over from my trip to Italy) giving me $13 in change. The exchange rate is such that they gain slightly on the deal but I gain more since my bank charges you're-stuck-using-us exchange rates.

Walked, CREDIT moi, both to class and then to dinner. I used apples for snacks to get that part of life under control. First Christmas present arrived in the mail: a bag of hand cracked Black Walnuts pieces from my brother. Just WOW! We cracked those as kids from the wild trees in the woods behind our house. They're a lot of work but the flavor is intense - probably too much for most uses of English Walnuts.

onebyone – Kudos for moving forward with that MFA program. Glad to hear that you're up at 4am - the best time of the day.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Your mention of word count suggests that you're doing NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) again this year - you do seem to keep yourself busy. Kudos for that exercise halfway mark.

maryann - Kudos for adopting "will join" - that's a commitment. [Have to think about that movie About Time - it might be more chick flick than sci-fi.]

nationalparker – Love the notion of dinner by candlelight when dining alone. Good luck finding the way to do yoga that works for you.

Karen (karenrn) - I think it's smart to recognize that grief continues to be felt - Kudos for choosing to use your church meeting for help.

curlyjax, LSW - Congrats on getting that license! Yay for busy.

Sandy (love2garden) - Kudos for taking advantage of the warm weather for a walk.

Readers -
Quote:

Foundation Strategy #8: Eat according to a schedule. Do you know when most dieters run into trouble? When they make spontaneous decisions about whether to eat something. These spontaneous decisions are rarely to eat less than they had planned; the decision are almost always to eat more.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 37
Old 11-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #100  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I'm trying to get a new routine going which includes posting right after I read my cards in the early morning. Food was mostly on plan yesterday, some credit. I did have an extra snack of some cheese and think I may need to make it off limits. I had two portions. Exercise was pacing around at the trailhead while I did greeter duty for the few that came out in the cold and windy weather yesterday. I had planned to hike afterwards, but it was a bit rainy. I did get my 10,000 steps in though in those couple of hours, credit.

I have had a couple of days with no beers. Sunday I picked up my friend from the airport and we had dinner, but no drinks. Last night dh was out at a work dinner and I don't drink alone. Tonight is the grief meeting at the church and tomorrow a meeting for my volunteering with the McDowell Sonoran Preserve. That will give me 4 nights in a row and hopefully kick that bad habit that I had fallen back into.

Bill You are so fortunate to have all different kinds of restaurants available. The falafel place sounds great.

Nationalparker I think YouTube is also a good source for exercise videos. I have looked up strength training routines, but I bet they have yoga too.

Loves2garden Does the doctor check your glycosolated hemoglobin (A1C) each year? I don't know that mine has ever been checked, although fasting blood sugar is. My Dad had Type 2 diabetes and so did my father in law. Both of us try to keep that in mind as one of the many reasons to get weight down/keep weight down and keep exercising.

Maryann Saying a prayer that your knees are all good so you can enjoy your walking.

Curlyjax Congratulations on passing your test. I worked very closely with social workers especially when I was a hospice nurse and a palliative care nurse. We were a close team so I really value the work social workers do.

I can't believe that Thanksgiving is just around the corner. My brother and sister in law will be here from Washington for the week, although they will be in and out as her two grown children and their families live here. I need to start planning. They'll all be here for dinner the day after Thanksgiving.

Okay, better get moving. Have a good day all!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #101  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Today is going to be a turning point one way or another for me with this ... stepped on the scale to a 1.5 pound gain and the thought of "nothing is ever going to work" skipped past and tried to gain hold. I thought about it and yes, I've returned to this point every time I've gained weight (well, initially was 20 pounds higher) but instead of thinking, I must've not had enough to drink ... I must've eaten more sodium ... i'm just UP and will go DOWN. No, I thought, this is impossible. We had our holiday luncheon yesterday and luckily I don't love a lot of the typical Thanksgiving options. So I did half of my plate with mixed greens, and added a serving of turkey and a blop of mashed potatoes. Skipped the roll and had a few bites of apple cobbler, but took the decor off the platter - the grapes and raspberries - and had some of that. I guess I just ate more than I counted yesterday. Thanks for letting me mentally work this out. Breakfast today was on point, and lunch was in debate. Either soup at work or drive home in the rain to have something there and get out of the fluorescent lights.

Bill - I never thought of using our leftover euros here. I tucked them away and they were the seed money of our return trip. They'll get us what we need before we exchange money next year. I am hoping that I can rid my foot of the plantar fasciitis pain soon, though, but DH said when he had it, it took 18 months or so. I don't really want a shot unless that cures it

Karen - I like the idea of the grief meeting. This sounds very selfish, but if you glean anything helpful, would you pass it along? A day doesn't pass that I don't think of my parents, and if I'm honest, of my pets who have passed as well. I guess I thought that time passing would lessen the immediacy of the thoughts. Credits abound for skipping the beers day after day lately!

Goal - stick with the plan and not give up today - today will predict tomorrow. I have to remember that I had WEEKS when on WW when I gained and still stuck it out.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #102  
Green Tomatoes

Posting late again, sigh. This morning's problem was a meeting. Tomorrow morning, I hope to be here!

WI: -0.55 kg, Exercise: +30 640/1200 minutes for November, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: I love that you have a suitable place to use your Euros. Cuban CUCs are very hard to spend in Missouri and can't be exchanged at all in the US. We managed to run mostly out at the end of the trip -- DH has been giving out 1 CUC bills as souvenirs.
Yes. I'm kind of doing NaNoWriMo. I don't have a suitable project, but working toward 50,000 words on whatever project wants to assert itself each day has been working for me this month.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:12 AM   #103  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Exclamation Plan.

Coaches

Quick one tonight. I got stumped when pressed to get dinner and tired and hungry. Did not choose low carb. I need a go to foodlist for grocery stores when I cannot think straight. I need fast things on that list .

Bye
Old 11-18-2015, 05:02 AM   #104  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Democracy declared (Spain, 1976)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, without comparing myself because there was no one next to me. On the way home I was able to buy strawberries that hadn't been available from my favorite supermarket or from Whole Foods. Don't know what's up with strawberries this week.

Lunch was a sandwich made from leftover meatloaf. It's a CREDIT moi because it was the second sandwich that I'd made from a piece that DW deemed too small for two servings. So There! If I eat a small enough portion of meat I'm more certain to eat my raw carrots that fill me up until dinner.

onebyone – Oh Yes, "tired and hungry" are such a challenge when the brain refuses to cooperate. Kudos for posting.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Neat that you've defined your own NaNoWriMo (GaJoNaNoWriMo). I have a friend who just self-published a novel. He said that publishers only want novels that lend themselves to movies with flash-bang special effects. Dickens wouldn't get published in today's market.

nationalparker – That's an encouraging goal: "Goal - stick with the plan and not give up today."

Karen (karenrn) - Getting 10,000 steps from just pacing around is a lot of pacing - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:

Foundation Strategy #8: Eat according to a schedule.

Have you ever promised yourself that you're not going to eat until a certain time? Then you encounter some mouth-watering food (at a store, a get-together, a meeting, or a vending machine). And you impulsively eat it, because you haven't mastered eating according to a schedule.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
Confession: two nights ago I brought home the extra candy from DD's party and after lecturing both kids about not getting into it, DH and I ended up scavenging through it and we all attacked it like a bunch of wild animals! We do not usually have that stuff sitting around and I think that is partially why. Also seeing the kids chomp through their halloween candy does make crave it after awhile. I wish I could get to that point where i find it all disgusting but i'm not there yet!
I did look at the cupcakes at work and resist them however.

Maryann- I'm glad that you could get back into walking. I hope you knee is doing okay. When I was younger I thought it was only folks in their 70s and up that had such aches but i now know from my own experience that is not true, it starts in ones 40s!!
Lexiss-hope you are still finding time for good self care. It's very impressive that you are on your feet all day for your job, but still have energy to do so much!
Onebyone- the MFA program sounds exciting!
Bill- My DH had black walnuts growing up too, and would gather some every time he went home to see his mom. It makes for very dirty hands!
Gardenerjoy- credits for always setting and meeting those exercise goals, you're inspiring!
Nationalparker-Have you tried the boot for plantar fasciitis? It was cumbersome to wear at night but it did help me. I had that about 8 years ago- it did go away finally!
love2garden-We are having frosts these days, hope your garden is tucked away.I don't know what that entails but gardeners seem to do that in the fall.
Karenrn-good job on the no beers! I like posting in the am too, then I can look forward to reading everything the next day. I hope the church meeting was helpful.
Closed Thread