Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #151  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Okay so I'll just admit i; I am not back to my normal routine yet. I only hiked one day so far. Yesterday I had things I wanted to do before it got warm. I was like Mary Ann and mostly didn't leave the house. I cleaned the inside of my car. This time I left the dog in the house and got dressed and pulled the car out of the garage. Last time I cleaned the inside of the car was the day I tripped over the dog and broke my arm. After that I had lots of ironing to catch up on. We did go to happy hour with some good friends. Dh and I split a burger which is just great cause it kept the calories more in line with what they should be.

I intended to get up and hike this morning, but it never got below 86 degrees. When I got up about 5 a.m. and saw that, I decided I am not in training and I don't need to hike in those temps just now. I'll see how it is tomorrow, but already have a walk planned with a friend for Monday and I'll hope that is the start of getting back to my regular exercise routine.

Food has been a little more than usual, but my weight is stable at 139. I know that won't last if I don't get some exercise soon and I am not going to allow myself to gain. It has taken months to take it off.

Dh went to play golf today so I went to see the movie, Everest, by myself. It was fun to see Kathmandu, Lukla, Namche Bazaar and the monastery at Tengboche. It has been 3 years since I made my trekking and river rafting trip to Nepal. However, even though I read "Into Thin Air", I was on the edge of my seat during the movie and was exhausted by the time it was over. Afterwards I got some food to go from an Indian restaurant. I love Indian food and dh doesn't. I tried to talk myself out of it, but decided sometime it's just fine to go ahead and have it. I enjoyed it and didn't eat it all.

My mother in law just called, which she seldom does. She received the photos I sent to her on Thursday. I haven't gotten prints made in years, but it was so worth it to send her pictures of the wedding we went to last week, her granddaughter/our niece. I didn't realize how easy it was to do, but now I know.

Throwing a non-diet question out there for anyone who might have an idea. I have quite a few Sherlock Holmes books that our hike leader is interested in having. They were my Dad's and I have held on to them for 15 years hoping I would run into someone with an interest. The problem, she lives in Victoria B. C. I checked at the post office and it is expensive to send them. I'm thinking 40 pounds or so. Any other ideas?

Gardener Joy Good job getting used to the weight you will be carrying while traveling. Do you have a bag, backpack or whatever that is comfortable and distributes the weight well? I'm sure there are plenty of options. Where are you going this time?

Curlyjax Enjoy the time with your Mom. My Mom has been gone for 11 years. I was so glad that she lived near me for the last 4 1/2 years of her life. We did lots of shopping, lunches and just going back and forth. I'm so glad we had that time.

BBE It sounds so nice to need a heavier blanket on the bed. I'm still a tad warm after being in a cooler climate. I had to lower the air conditioning to stay comfortable while I ironed on Friday.

SuzLen Hard to imagine what your little student is going through. Really what so many go through. I thank you and all the teachers who are sensitive and caring.

I hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!
Old 09-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #152  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

All plans for the day seemed to be turned topsy-turvy; some things done at different times, other things not tackled. Changed plans to see the movie late tomorrow morning as the only non 3D option is in another hour. Not gonna happen, despite earlier thoughts we'd do that.

Credits - Long story long ... Agreed to try Caribbean cheap restaurant bc I knew DH would really enjoy it. Limited menu of about eight items and I ordered very small. Then decided I wanted a gelato to stop the burning in my mouth. So after more errands and me finally spending some Christmas gift cards , we went to a homemade local ice cream spot and when asked what I wanted, I decided I didn't want anything.

Wanted to start projects and they're tabled until Sunday. Birdseed eggs to start with.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:44 AM   #153  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday - Super Moon, Blood Moon, Total Lunar Eclipse this evening

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to include a stop at our community garden to water. The tomato plants are hanging in there; there are still green tomatoes on the vines, but they don't look like they have any intention of getting ripe. I picked only four cherry tomatoes - that close to none. Also stopped by the Mini-Library to donate two books and remove none. This needs to happen more often.

Eating wasn't so good. Ouch. I was distracted all day trying to get stuff done with less success than agnst. Lunch was a tomato sandwich which always makes me happy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – My admiration for taking the time to practice walking with your travel bag. (That's one of the most striking aspects of the Pacific Coast Trail walk by Cheryl Strayed in Wild - she first put on her pack to leave the motel to start her journey.)

nationalparker – LOL at "Long story long." Kudos for skipping the gelato.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay that it's still possible to make prints for folks to enjoy who don't live on their computers or iPhones. Kudos for splitting that burger. No useful suggestions on how to ship books to Canada; the only things I've shipped to Canada required much hoop-jumping-through.

curlyjax - Kudos for having a meaningful talk with your teenage DD. Shuddering at "how exhausting high school is this days." Have a good weekend with your mom.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 Are You Trapped?

Our Many and Varied Traps

We all encounter traps. Anyone who has struggled with losing weight has fallen into traps. Each one contains a number of sabotaging thoughts. Do some of these statements ring a bell with you?
Emotional eating traps: "If I'm upset, I deserve to eat."

Stress traps: "I'm too busy and overwhelmed to keep on dieting."

Food pusher traps: "I can't disappoint people by turning down food they're offering me."

Family traps: "I shouldn't ask my family to make changes just because I want to lose weight."
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 15
Old 09-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #154  
Green Tomatoes

I never made a plan yesterday. It all worked out, but that's a dangerous precedent. CREDIT for making a plan for today.

I'm hoping it's not too cloudy here to see tonight's eclipse.

WI: -0.1 kg, Exercise: +50 1100/1300 minutes for September, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

karenrn: I'm carrying a small camera bag and a messenger bag, both with straps long enough to go across my body -- so one on each side. That seems to be working for me. We're going to Cuba!
I also have no suggestions for shipping books to Canada, but would be interested to learn. I shipped a couple of books in a hurry earlier this year, so I didn't have time to do the research, and it was quite expensive. Does your friend ever visit someone in the States?

BillBlueEyes: I can't remember if I gave you my green tomato recipe: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2013/10/...tomato-recipe/ I usually make it on the day that the first night frost is predicted.

nationalparker: I hope your projects go well, today!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #155  

Hello Coaches,

OP for the day - credit - even though it meant eating something for Sunday dinner than the rest of the family. You little Beck snippets, BillBB, have been super helpful.

gardenerjoy, I hope the sky is clear here tonight, it has been cloudy all day.

nationalparker
, congrats on passing up the gelato. That had to have felt great.

karenrn, sorry that I have no suggestions. My mother deliberates ships under four pounds when mailing things to my cousin. And even then, it is expensive. Perhaps they would be willing to pay for it?

curlyjax, reliving the teen years is something I never want to do again. It is rough!

I hope you can all catch the eclipse. I, for one, may not be around for the next time this happens!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #156  
Enjoying la bella vita

Just back inside from watching the first half of the eclipse until clouds rolled in and obliterated it all ...we'll keep popping out to see if the overcast moves along as quickly as it moved in. Impressive so far. First time I've sat all day except for the movie, Everest. We caught it at 11a, and both were glad we saw it on the big screen. Then home and I started prepping food for the week, turkey lasagna with extra veggies in a spicy sauce, chicken for burrito bowls and chicken pot pie with a splash of white wine in the sauce. Ran out to the market at halftime, and took me longer as the store I hit had only a few of the things I was after. Sheesh. Left DH watching the carrots and onions roasting in the oven. Not wise in retrospect. next time will just take pan out and put back in when I get home.

Eating was not in as much moderation as it should have been but was all fresh. We never buy popcorn or anything at the theatre and I typically don't want it but today it smelled yummy. No choice.

I've got to get to personals; I am aiming to enjoy writing those in the morning. Sorry for barely showing up here the past few days.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #157  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres (855)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi. It's so nice to have a clear day that makes walking fun. Big event was watching the Super Moon, Harvest Moon, Blood Moon, Total Lunar Eclipse. I could see its beginning from my favorite chair with an east facing window. At the three-quarter point, DW and I walked to a local park with a small 'hill' were we met friends with their dog. We didn't stay to find out how it ended, but I'll check tonight to see that the moon's still there, LOL.

Meals are great; snacks remain an issue for me. I did have less of too-much than I could have had - a variant of stopping even though I was already over my plan - I'll take a CREDIT moi for that part.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for success even without a plan. [Thanks for the green tomato recipe - this is a year when we might well use that.]

nationalparker – Slapping "No choice" on that popcorn is Kudos worthy. Interesting thought that Everest needs the big screen to capture those mountains.

SuzLen - Kudos for making yourself a different dinner. Hang in there; the next Super Moon Lunar eclipse is in 2033 - only 18 years away.

Readers -
Quote:

Do some of these statements ring a bell with you? . . .
Travel and eating out traps: "It's okay to indulge when I'm away."

Holiday traps: "It's a special time. I should be able to eat whatever I want."

Psychological traps: "I have no willpower. I just can't resist."

Getting off track traps: "I've already blown it for the day. I might as well keep eating and get back on track tomorrow."
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 16
Old 09-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #158  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just a quick morning check in. Food was good yesterday, essentially no exercise. I'm off to walk with a friend shortly. We'll have a good visit and I'll hardly know I'm exercising. It's still a little quiet (boring) here, but Hiking Suzanne will be back sometime this week. It's still hot here, too. I'm hoping it cools quite a bit before my friend comes next week for an 8 day visit. She's from Washington and won't like these temps.

Have a good day and start to the week!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #159  
Green Tomatoes

A bad day yesterday. I'm challenging myself to do well today because I'm tired of these slips that turn into multiple day slides.

Here's the response card that is speaking to me today:

Quote:
When "I'm going to do what I want" or "I don't want to" thoughts enter my head, remind myself that I feel entitled to good health and that I have plenty of great food options to get me there.
WI: +0.45 kg, Exercise: +40 1140/1300 minutes for September, Food: 60% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 09-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #160  

Height: 5' 2"

SuzLen Note to agree that I would NEVER want to repeat my younger years. Actually they were pretty good but I'm a better person in many ways with the years of wisdom. Sure I'm carrying way too much weight, but all and all I'm in a very good place in my life.

Moon? The only way we saw it was on TV during the NFL game. Way too cloudy here.

Karen You sound as if you are still recovering from the extended time away from home. Hope you kept a journal of your experiences.

4 more hours gardening in cool, cloudy weather. Perfect for transplanting and freshening up the fall plantings. Now changing some Patio Pots from summer Annuals to winter display of Violas in purple/white & yellow. These little plants are so cheerful looking and move to face the sun as it seems to cross from east to west. We can see them from several windows, including dining room.

Johnny-Jump-Ups look like the football stadium with all the cheerful faces turning in unison.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #161  
Enjoying la bella vita

We stayed up entirely too late last night. DH got only four hours of sleep, I think. Tonight will be an early night for both, but especially him. Glad I got the meal prep done and all that I need to do tonight is prep the salad and heat the turkey lasagna. Skipping any bread, which is hard choice for me.

Read recently in several publications that just getting 35 g of fiber/day resulted in better health, more weight lost than those going on a calorie counting/portion reducing diet. Has me thinking. Typically aim for fiber-rich foods but I often only crest 20g/day...not 35.

Bill - I thought your subject line would be Red Soxer Ted Williams became last player to hit .400. Lesson learned: when setting out an antipasto tray, add a little bit more and allow that to be dinner. I set out a tray with almonds, olives, hummus, a bit of cheese, along with a bit of meat for DH, and we enjoyed that, then ate dinner a few hours later, and could likely have gone without dinner. You do a great job of having snacks serve a smart purpose.

Karen - Honestly, I think if I got back from all of your hiking, I would find it exceedingly hard to get back into an exercise/hiking routine. You are doing a great job at reacclimating to the routine. So great to see your pooch again?

SuzLen - DH and I were calculating how old we'd be the next time this lunar event happens. I said maybe for the next one, we'd be sitting on a dock watching the moon rise over the water. For a dream in the future of living by the ocean haha. ya gotta dream...

Joy - Hoping you had a successful day to build upon for tomorrow and get your mojo back on a roll.

Love2Garden- I love reading what you're doing with the garden and plant tending. I love pansies, violas and johnny-jumpups...they remind me so much of my mom. This summer a pansy popped up in the middle of our patio pavers and bloomed. Just for me.

I keep thinking I need to challenge myself to stop drinking diet soda. Or just stop without the challenge. I just see such alternate views - it's nothing or it's vile for your body. Some days I drink too much, other days not at all. I think I'm afraid to challenge myself because I know I won't/can't do it?

Last edited by nationalparker; 09-28-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #162  

Hello Coaches,

Good day, today. OP for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was a tad off plan food wise, but I sat and ate mindfully and enjoyed it. I am not stuffed, and am planning on exercising when done here.

Woke at 2am, couldn't go back to sleep, and have had a headache all day.

Couldn't enjoy the moon last night, too cloudy

nationalparker: I have contemplated the struggle to get enough fiber on a daily basis. I have come to conclusion I would have to eat fruit and veggies, a lot of them, all day. Isn't going to happen!

BillBB: the 'ole "Holiday Trap" is what negates any progress I make during the summer by the time January rolls around. What to do, what to do.....

An apology to all of you as I skimmed over yesterday's post. Yes, I teach small children, and yes, I do spell better than my last post would suggest.

Have a good evening!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #163  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - National Coffee Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to my classes. I pack a lunch for the slot between classes. It's easy to avoid overeating when all the food available to me comes from my lunch bag. Krispy Kreme Donuts is giving away a free donut and coffee today. I don't really want the coffee and don't need the donut, but the FREE part is calling my name.

I did learn, again, that a banana in a lunch bag in a briefcase can be pretty mushy when pulled out. Ouch. Fortunately, I'm able to convince myself that a mushy banana is acceptable. I know that there is a plastic device that solves this problem, but I'm not inclined to buy one.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I so recognize your "I don't want to" - my two-year old raising his head.

nationalparker – It does seem that fiber seriously contributes to good health - real plant fiber that is. I'm not a believer that the new manufactured fiber has been shown to have the same benefit. [Yep, Ted Williams hitting .400 was tempting, but it seems a bit too Redsoxish, and I was taken by "All Gaul is divided into three parts."]

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, walking with a friend is so much fun.

Sandy (love2garden) - LOL at "Johnny-Jump-Ups look like the football stadium with all the cheerful faces turning in unison." I do like that plants can follow the sun.

SuzLen - "I am not stuffed" is the first line of defense. Ouch for that chunk of lost sleep.

Readers -
Quote:

Everyone has his or her personal assortment of diet traps. Maybe every time you visit your family, you find yourself overindulging. Maybe you munch on crunchy snacks or candy that you hadn't planned to eat during stressful times at work. Maybe you're disciplined during the week but can't resist overindulging in those wings and nachos at happy hour on Friday. (You know you shouldn't, but just the thought of them pulls you thought the last two hours of the workweek.)

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 16
Old 09-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #164  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
A quick wave-we're back and had a nice time. I was able to visit the Peabody Essex museum and see those strandbeests on display that Bill had mentioned awhile back and the Yin Yu Tang House, a very old reconstructed Chinese house. Very cool, I will have to take my kids there! This is in Salem, MA- lots of witchy stuff there which we didn't do. One shop owner said they recently had a cruise ships with lots of English tourists. Its funny to think that what seems really old to us- gravestones from the 1700s- is not so impressive to them!

Mom and I split dessert and lunches, so I don't think I overate. So great to have a big change of scene!
Will catch up with reading and get to personals soon.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #165  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up somewhat normal

Coaches

Short check in. My sister left yesterday. I pretty much sat in a chair the whole day. Exhausted inside and out. Today I a, back to the pottery studio. I have to get back to work. The local studio tour is in two weeks and we get to set up early in the guild gallery so I need to face this this week.

Food was ok during the past week. I was down yesterday and up today. I went a bit off the rails yesterday so not surprised but that was a blip. I'm back on track now. *credit*

karenrn I have shipped heavy things reasonably by bus. Go to your local Greyhound station and check into this. Just make sure you double box and tape it up good cause it gets tossed under the bus so to speak... My sister once moved all he stuff across the country by bus. It all arrived.

BBE
All Gaul is divided into three parts... couldn't be 855. We were into the Dark Ages by then. King Arthur time. Byzantium. Was it 55? I should look it up...but I'll ask you instead! ha!

Bye for now!
Closed Thread