Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Default Good Evening, Coaches

I'm here. Following food plan but with wrong portions. Work, PT, marriage stuff all taking every moment. Can't exercise at all due to still weak arm and leg bursitis. Eating sensible is the only thing that stands between me and a huge weight gain. Thxs for all being here.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:34 AM   #197  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Angry Finally.

Coaches

Finally the Gallery art show opening is over. We sold several things and all her effort was rewarded. It felt good to make that happen but I am wiped out. Everything aches.

A guild member asked me if I had lost weight. She said I looked thinner in my shoulders neck upper area. I said I'd lost a little.and that it was all very slow. She said it was.good it was.slow. I actually dislike people saying things about my weight. I just want to melt into the floor. I hate having to reply to that. Oh well.

Must sleep.now. A other heavy day tomorrow and another.heavy market day. It never ends but that's not a bad thing my friends.

Bye.

Last edited by onebyone; 08-28-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #198  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - "I Have a Dream" (MLK,Jr, 1963)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included the library to pick up two books waiting for me. There is nothing to eat at the library - a sanctuary as it were.

Book recommendations for the 0 to 2 Crowd from Carol Stoltz of Porter Square Books:
Red Socks - Ellen Mayer with illustrations by Ying-Hwa Hu
Sweet Stories for Babies - a wonderful gift collection of board books for young children. Each book individually is a winner.
Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes - Mem Fox
Time for Bed - Mem Fox
Everywhere Babies - Susan Meyers

onebyone – Yay for sales to lift the spirits. I join you in wishing to get no comments about my weight. Loved the parting thought, "It never ends but that's not a bad thing my friends."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for a plan. [I have a friend who spent four hours in the bookstore to buy a stack of books for his first grandkid. Lots of negative reviews and a few ecstatic ones. (I need to get his list.)]

maryann - I needed this right now, "Eating sensible is the only thing ..."

nationalparker – Tossing blue tortilla chips is Kudos worthy - even if broken.

curlyjax - Ouch for water problems in the house - they're my worst fears and the thing that makes me jump immediately. Good luck. Kudos for resisting snacks.

Sandy (love2garden) - Ouch for that rear end collision. I'm jealous of a bumper that can absorb a hit - they're pretty rare. Congrats on those few ounces at a time.

SuzLen - LOL at a 19 yo in a grocery store. Kudos for "I am trying to envision myself as a thin person."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 Are You Trapped?

The Traps Are Set and Waiting

Well, no more. We are here to tell you that there is a solution. Your traps don't have to ensnare you any longer. You can learn precisely what to do to avoid your traps - and if you fall into one, how to get out immediately and put yourself back on track.

How to successfully lose weight isn't intuitively obvious - but the skills you need can be learned. Like Jessica, you'll need to craft your own personal escape plans, based on understanding why you make particular mistakes, so you'll know exactly what to do and what to say to yourself the next time you face a challenging situation.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 7
Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #199  
Green Tomatoes

I had a better day yesterday, even though at one point I'd moved on to a Plan B. When that didn't work out -- I went back to Plan A! That seems obvious, but I often don't see it and end up with a bunch of unplanned eating as unPlan C. It's always best to at least consider if Plan A still has merit. Usually going back to Plan A is the best choice on such a day.

Today has a lot going on, but there's no reason for me to eat anything but my own food from my own house, so that's my pledge.

WI: -0.4 kg, Exercise: +50 1145/1300 minutes for August, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for the book recommendations. Those look perfect! The baby shower is for the child who will make me a great-aunt.

onebyone: I'm another who prefers no comments about weight -- even positive ones can knock me for a loop. Good for you for recognizing that and dealing with it. All the best for your market activities.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #200  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good morning and Happy Friday. Not a good start to my day ... feel like the more active I've been, while trying to focus on not increasing portions bc that's been a menace in the past, I'm just going UP.

Decided to move to a five-pound ticker to try to help visualize that I can do this, and that I won't be seeing that 150 anytime soon. At the rate I'm going, I'll see 180 before I see 150 and that infuriates, frustrates, worries, scares me. Right now, I'm really bummed at the uptick again on the scale. My cousin is reprimanding me (kindly) for getting on the scale but I worry that if I don't, it'll jump up so high.

We were given jacket-type clothing yesterday - we had to guess on sizes for the ordering since no samples were available. Well, I vary from women's medium to XL. Split the diff and ordered L and one is completely fine and I like it, the other doesn't even meet in the front to begin to zip. oh, yay. If I order up, though, the sleeves will be an add'l 3" longer, it seems. Clearly this isn't the end of the world, but it's like, dang, one more thing that doesn't fit.

Dinner tonight is lettuce-less veggie bowls - chopped fresh veggies with homemade dressing. Once I decided on that, I checked the fridge and realized I'm pretty darned low on fresh veggies at the end of the week, so will stop and pick up a nice fresh variety. I am running home at lunch and will stop at a farm stand I pass if I go one route, and see if I can luck out there.

Just really in a funk about feeling like I'm focused and on track (since Aug. 3), and active, and scale is just ticking up. Grumble mumble.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #201  

Height: 5' 2"

National Parker Understand the frustration over the weight going the wrong direction. Fully agree that getting on the scale daily helps know what is actually true and not hiding from it.

Bill with 3 great grandkids around 2 your list of books is helpful. Our GG who is a 7 year old is very active, but not at all interested books. sad but true

I'm so grateful for the training from Beck so I simply begin sensible eating today and let my goof yesterday pass away. Her emphasis on positive self talk has really helped me tremendously.

No side effects from the fender-bender 2 days ago. I give credit to the good bumper and to excellent massage from Kelly.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #202  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default hi

Hi Coaches

Super long day after las night but I am installed at the gallery once more and ready to work in residence for another week. After a bit of a rough start the day went along and I made a small woocut that will be a part of a series of things so credit for making something when I didn't think I could.

Foodwise omg I'm in trouble. My gallery partner V has a plate of homemade treats and a small cooler of sugary drink on the table for guests at all times.ugh. Due to near exhaustion and no preplanning re bringing food with me I helped myself to about 5 or 6 sweet things. I had to physically leave the room at other times and just thinking about having to explain where they all went ie. maybe lying helped me to say no a few other times, but I fought mentally with the cookies all day. DUH... Just realized... She wasn't there. I could have just removed them when she wasn't around. I will do this next time. Thanks coaches!

Market day tomorrow. Then 1/2 day's rest. Ahhhhh!!
Old 08-29-2015, 07:04 AM   #203  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Saturday - Full Moon - Metacom, a.k.a King Phillip, killed (1676)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, in a nearly empty facility. Seems that the dog days of summer are drawing folks to the beach or somewhere outside.

Entertainment was watching Theo Jansen’s Strandbeests in Boston (Thanks onebyone for the tip). It's hard to believe that they hold together since they're made of thin PVC with no metal connectors. They look medieval. Walked the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston to experience most of the city out to play after work. Kids were laughing on the full-sized merry-go-round (which has no horses but does have only native animals and butterflies). Got home so late that it was dark when we finally finished dinner on the patio. But stars were visible and the near-full moon was rising.

onebyone – Neat public problem solving to figure out how to get past your gallery partner's sweets. I do wish you had been with us to watch the Strandbeests. Their movements were magic - DW thought they had the gait of a camel. Jansen says that he expects them to evolve into more human like forms, but I'm happy without comparing them to anything real.

Great-Aunt-to-be (gardenerjoy) – Yep, it's the old "unPlan C" that grabs me when I'm not looking.

nationalparker – Ouch for having to order clothing blindly - that should be illegal. Kudos for having a mind that thinks of stopping at a farm stand as a solution instead of McDonalds.

Sandy (love2garden) - Super Kudos for "simply begin sensible eating today" - we win big when we choose to go forward. LOL that the solution to life is a "good bumper and [an] excellent massage."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 1 Are You Trapped?

The Traps Are Set and Waiting

For example, to overcome her emotional eating trap, Jessica needed to question the idea that the only way she could calm down was by eating. She was able to recall a number of times when she experienced negative emotions, even high levels of emotion, but was able to calm down without food. With her changed thinking, she was able to do some problems solving, opening her mind to other activities she could do when she was distressed. She discovered she really could feel soothed by a nice, hot soak in the tub for fifteen minutes with People magazine. And if a bath didn't do the trick, she had a list of other activities to try, none of which were followed by guilt and recrimination - or weight gain.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 8
Old 08-29-2015, 07:39 AM   #204  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi Coaches-
I am definitely going downhill again, eating too much sugar. Yesterday was a day of rejections for various members of the family (job, sports) and I'm hoping we can all wake up and feel better today. I have been avoiding the scale feeling cocky and today realized i'm up a few pounds again.
TODAY I will eat better and stay on plan!!

I ditto this sentiment from love2garden -National Parker- Understand the frustration over the weight going the wrong direction. Very frustrating to be on track and not see results!
Maryann- thinking of you and sending healing thoughts.

happy weekend all!

Last edited by curlyjax; 08-29-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #205  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Catching up on posts feels great. Many of your thoughts resonate with me.

nationalparker and love2garden: The scale does feel a punishment as I have hit middle age. It is difficult to be grateful for the relentless accountability especially when it feels like everything we see, everywhere we go, everything people talk about is unhealthy relationships with food. DH and I were looking at a rerun of Emergency from the 70s. All the nurses, doctors, and patients were slim and natural looking. In today's shows the people are either plasticized, emaciated, and young or obese and unhealthy. Not many models for me. Thankfully we have a community here that is real.

curleyjax: Just went through a work day that felt like rejection. It made me feel very visible and therefore vulnerable. There is a book called "Daring greatly" that is somewhat babbling but the title comes from Teddy Roosevelt talking about being in a stadium of critics. The "doers" are the ones taking the risk of rejection. They are noble for "daring greatly."

BBE: So grateful for your excerpts that keep me linked into Beck.

onebyone: How many times I remember eating other people's food. These times fill me with great shame. Talking about it here; living in the sunlight of the truth, maybe a conversation with your gallery mate may take the shame away.

Suzlen: I always gain weight when I start working out hard.

As for me, six days OP - free from the seven most highly allergenic foods. I am one pound from ticker and still committed to the full 21 day cleanse. I am tracking my daily weight and my food and often watching the clock saying," It will be noon soon." As always when I take away extra food, I am amazed at how little I really need to eat.

Another helpful trick for right now: DS and I are listening to a wonderful audio version of The Odyssey. I had a strong reaction to the part when Odysseus and his men reach the isle with Helio's ( the sun god's) cattle. They are promised safety and health as long as they don't harm the cattle. They spend many peaceful days but eventually become obsessed with the idea of eating beef. Of course, they give in to the obsession and are cursed for the rest of the journey. While listening I grew self righteous. "Who are these idiots who can't simply leave the cows alone. Morons." Then I had an awakening. I continue to eat in a matter that has cursed me my whole life even though I ALWAYS know the outcome. Years of pain and still I give in.

For today I am staying away from the sacred cow.

Last edited by maryann; 08-29-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #206  

Height: 5' 2"

Curlyjax Good for you facing the scale so you know where you stand.

Bill what a wonderful day you had, all the things I would thoroughly enjoy, too.

One by One Making the woodcut was such a moral builder. You can do what you think you cannot. Now to use this new understanding of yourself toward making your self the best person you can be in regard to food.

MaryAnn So sorry for your pain that won't leave you alone and limits so much of what you do.

Today was spent outside and 2 pots of coffee gone with plants watered and lots of conversation between us 3. Too nice to be inside till now as it is getting much hotter.

Beck habits led to decent night's sleep and waking up cheerful. I'm so grateful for this teacher.

May each of you enjoy the weekend and hold firm with what you know is best for your health.

Sandy
Old 08-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #207  

Good morning,

Didn't report in yesterday because I absolutely bombed dinner. DS left the sugary cereal on the counter and I just did it - I ate some (on top of what I fixed for dinner). In addition, I was so full I couldn't exercise.

So today is a restart. I didn't even weigh this morning - I just couldn't bare another reminder of how much I ate last night.

nationalparker: This is me right now: My eating struggle
Quote:
infuriates, frustrates, worries, scares me
I so scared of gaining the weight back that I have lost. I have already gained two of the pounds back and it is making me a nervous wreck. The thought that it may never be under control scares me. There is still more I need to lose.

maryann-
Quote:
when I take away extra food I am amazed at how little I really need to eat.
That is so true. And also a little depressing for a person who really does enjoy eating. I loved your analogy to The Odyssey. It has been awhile - I will need to dig it out and re-read.

curlyjax: the sugar has always been my biggest problem. I feel like if I can conquer the sugar, the rest is more easily managed. But that is easier said than done, obviously.

I went the week at school without snacking, and every lunch was eaten in the lunch room in a mindful manner. So CREDIT for some successes. I went to make tea as I prepared dinner, as nationalparker suggested, only to discover that I took ALL my tea to school and didn't have any in the house.

OP so far today and will exercise as soon as I post.

Have a great Saturday.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #208  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good to read all of the posts so far today. I've been working on a day of actions to mesh with what I say I want ... connecting with a friend who moved away, eating healthfully, clearing items out for donation. Feels good. Decided to boot one of the scales to Goodwill, along with a few boxes of other stuff. Want to load up the car and drop it off today.

Repeated last night's dinner for lunch (but without corn since I just bought one measly ear as hands were full and couldn't juggle it all) with a veggie bowl and dressing, which turned out to be super tasty. Now if i could just stop walking in the kitchen on the hunt for something else to nosh.

Bill - Some of your notes make me long to be retired. Seriously. To be able to enjoy fulfilling pasttimes every single day - gardening, visiting, learning, touring, all things I want to do when I am able to retire. Not for a decade or more, grumble... I, too, am benefiting from the excerpts from the new book. Thank you.

The heat and humidity has returned here. While I'm active with the cleaning/clearing, I'm waiting until later today to walk with our pooch.

SuzLen - Maybe pull one of Lexxiss' tricks when faced with a processed food that might be a temptation - think of all the chemicals and how it was created in a lab, basically ... and do you want that in your body? Any mind games that might work for you? How can we use the fear of regaining more back to our benefit? Sometimes I feel it's inevitable when, in fact, I was able to keep off 65 pounds for YEARS. I should view that as ability to succeed instead of "that was then, this is now".

Maryann - I know exactly what you mean about watching some old shows and noticing shape of the actors ... I am an I Love Lucy fan and think it's astounding that she tried to lose weight on the show now and then...I think she looks fine! KUDOS for your near-week OP. GREAT JOB.

Love2Garden - Your morning sounds wonderful! I always think I'll spend weekend mornings on my patio all summer long, but when I head out and get so sweaty, I think, hmmm... the late evening will be nicer Aiming to get it "nicened up" for us to eat a late dinner out there tonight if the rain holds off. I bought some pretty uber cheap lanterns at World Market to hang in the tree with tea lights but DH thought they'd look nice on our small hooks out there. Of course, I imagine Martha Stewart gorgeous, but it'll end up looking a bit boho.

CurlyJax - Your yesterday sounds so painful. Hang in there. If only hearing "no" was something we could register as merely input and move on without hurt feelings. That would certainly send me into a tailspin. What are your best comforts (non-food)?

OneByOne - I could feel your pain from yesterday with the never-ending temptation of the sweets right there. Great job working out how to handle the issue! Is there a way to do a mini checklist card of what to bring when you go there to have the food/drink that's on your plan? Or does it come up without advance notice that it won't work?

I thought I was on track for a GREAT day but am struggling with the dang biscotti that I finished baking this morning. BUT I need to register that just opening the box and then closing it without taking a piece, isn't a big failure. I have taken two ends, though... because clearly the ends have fewer calories sheesh.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #209  
Green Tomatoes

Quick check-in to say that I kept my pledge of eating only food from my house yesterday and I'm doubling down on that today. Tonight's activity comes with free hot dogs, chips, and soda. It's a no-brainer that I should be having none of that. I'll eat before I go and put nothing in my mouth except water from my water bottle.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #210  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

gardenerjoy reminded me a quick check in is OK. Several tremendously busy days and I head back to the real job tomorrow morning. I just finished mowing my lawn and have given myself permission to relax perhaps even take a nap. I took a break and my gardening this morning to ride my bike down to the Shriners parade. It was very entertaining. Apparently there is a convention in Denver and they took time out to come up and visit us. The guys who were parked out in front of my house were having an interesting time adjusting their little scooters to the higher altitude. Apparently they were having start up problems.
Food has been going pretty good and weight bouncing around a little as normal. I did have a very off day yesterday. I left in the morning without my smoothie anticipating a very quick trip to Denver which got complicated and left me having to make some spur of the moment decisions without a lot of options. Oh well. I Did not forget my smoothie today. Credit.
Closed Thread