Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:24 AM   #46  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, glad to be back in the saddle after a long holiday weekend. Watered our community garden, directing the stream toward the tomato plants which are growing more slowly this year than my patience.

Dinner included both of the newly harvested beans: the Yellow Wax Beans and the Green String Beans. If they had more protein, I think I could live on them alone during the summer. I left some of the rice on my plate at dinner, CREDIT moi. That's of note since I almost never think to do that. I get a demo of leaving food whenever our DD eats with us; she leaves stuff on her plate every single meal. She'll leave part of a chicken breast. "I'm full," is all she says. I can dream that it's genetic and that I have that quality inside bursting to get out.

Request English Translation Help: Don't understand this sentence: "The party has long since lost its ideological legitimacy: the madness of the Maoist era from the 1950s to the 1970s put paid to that." (The Economist, July 4th-10th 2015, page 35) What means "put paid to that"?

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I like being reminded that healthy eating is a foundation that supports my brain's other activities.

Erika (eusebius) – LOL at the thought of interviewing a pianist without a keyboard. Kudos for an upbeat attitude about being left out of the moment of fame.

maryann - Thanks for the reflections. I do like being reminded not to get angry at the drama caused by a 14 year old who has her own stress. Kudos for your "three meals/ nothing in between" day.

Sandy (love2garden) - Count me as another lover of Portobello mushrooms. Kudos for taking the effort to have so many organic veggies on your plate.

SuzLen - I love outdoor theater - when the weather is just right. Kudos for continuing on plan.

Diane (diane1102) - Kudos for clutter cleanup and that neat bike ride. I love riding with a destination so that I don't focus on how much further there is to go.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 39 Keep Up with Exercise

How You Can Change

End your session with something positive. If you like a particular piece of equipment or exercise, plan to do it last. If you dislike a part of your exercise routine, do it in the middle. This way, you'll leave feeling better about your exercise session and you'll be more likely to follow through and do it next time.
. . .

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 253.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 185/160/150

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning Coaches,

Finding all your posts really supportive!

BillBlueEyes: “to put paid to” means, “to consider something closed or completed; to mark or indicate that something is no longer important or pending. (As if one were stamping a bill "paid".)” - idioms.thefreedictionary.com

A phrase seldom used nowadays, but well, The Economist has a long tradition to uphold.

Mike

Last edited by NottsMike; 07-07-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #48  

Good morning!

Stepped off the wagon a bit yesterday thanks to my DS who came for lunch and brought a huge bag of chips, which he munched on so happily that I found myself mindlessly having some as I walked by the kitchen. Ouch.

Then I bought popcorn for my DS and DGD at the outdoor performance last night (which was excellent, by the way). I ate some and am paying the price this morning - it makes me groggy in the morning when I overload on carbs the night before.

Oh well. Today is a new day.

BillBB: Yah for a DD who is leading you down the right path, lol. She needs to eat over more often!

Eusebius: Awkward - you are a sport. Good for you.

love2garden: awareness is a gift - reflection in all its varieties lead to a richer life. Thanks for the reminder.

maryann: teenagers cause drama continually, even without outside life trauma. She is lucky to have you all there to lean on, even if it seems she doesn't notice it yet.

gardenerjoy: thanks for the reminder.

diane1102: clutter clean up leads to a more organized feeling, doesn't it! I feel like I eat more on plan when I feel the rest of my life is organized as well.

Slowest day of the vacation today - thank goodness. Haven't lifted since Saturday and need to walk. Should be able to stay on plan today - no company for dinner and no restaurants.

Have a great day.

Last edited by SuzLen; 07-08-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #49  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up All in

Coaches

Hello and Good Morning to you all. Hi NottsMike-welcome.

Several things to report in about. The first was going to weigh in at WW last Thursday. I was going to skip it, really I was, as my schedule was super-congested due to prep for my weekend art show, but decided *credit Beck* that a check in weight-wise is better to do no matter what the scale information. When I am not dealing in some sort of food/weight reality my imagination takes over and it is a place, when it comes to weight and food, filled with saboteurs and their sabotaging thoughts. I stood on the scale, waited to hear of a number at least 5bs up from the week before and instead there was a rise: 0.4lbs. Sheesh. I managed my food well during a very busy week. In the past I did gain during those busy work weeks. *credit for not doing that* Also, once again, my psychic talents prove to be nil and my prediction of 5lbs up was even more way off than before.

DH's birthday was the next day and he was mopey. He's staring at 50 now. No hiding from it as he turned 47, so it showed. He's said "everything's the same" in a defeated we're not getting anywhere tone. Exhausted on my end I said "I'm giving up my studio and locker so we'll have that money to put on the bills." UGH. Ever since I want to backtrack on the giving up the studio bit. I am *hoping* that by the end of my two shows and the re-start of this new business/craft/artwork etc., that perhaps I can squirrel away enough to cover half of the studio rent, still netting us $227 more per month from his paycheck. Right now my studio is uber-depressing though. Wow. Makes me want to cry. it's just a giant storage space. One more show this weekend, The Purple Turtle Art Festival, and then I can re-focus on it. Frankly I'd have to throw away so much stuff. I don't even have wall space here in the apartment.

Anyway it was the right thing to do, to go back to making things for shows. I truly missed it even though it is super hard work. It is also super rewarding. I am on to something and it's a relief.

And on a related note, I got some photos sent to me of me in my booth this weekend. I didn't really recognize myself. How I *think* I look and how I look are way out of whack. I feel much smaller than I really am and the double chin. Oy vey. If I could be rid of one thing I would be rid of it and so I am reminded I need to keep at this. My weightloss is beginning to happen and I want to keep it going. Maybe at my return trip next year the photos will be different.

maryann When I was catching up on the posts this morning this popped out to me " I want to be visible, stylish, confident and creative in my appearance." Oh boy. So do I. What you said!

Have a great day Becksters.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Read my advantages cards today. Focusing on the last one: I finish a meal with no regrets. This is a biggie. Midway through the last bite I begin wondering what else can I justify eating.

Two solid days in my pocket now - three sit down meals, no flour. I have to allow a protein snack when I take the pain meds at night because they should be taken with food. Ate it sitting down.

Big first yesterday was putting the chain back on my bike all by myself. Can't believe I could do it. I decided to mountain bike my usual hiking path to the meadow. Credit for walking through the fear of "new" which seems more difficult as I get older. Exactly half way through, I faced an unexpected rock and tipped. The chain came off. I took a deep breath and try to figure it out. Success. What a workout - it took 45 minutes less than when I hike it but my heart was racing. A terrific benefit was a good night sleep. I said a prayer of gratitude that my pinched nerve didn't prevent me from such an adventure. I am schedule for a new P.T. on Monday. I have high hopes to get back 100%.

Continuing on safeguarding my health, I am going to start researching life style habits that positively affect arthritis. There is no escaping that I am sore a lot - joints, knees, wrists, hands. After I work on the pinch nerve, I need to take positive steps toward helping with these aches and pains. Actions will help relieve free floating anxiety about my physical condition.

onebyone: It took a great deal of courage to go weigh in. Credit.
BBE: Good reminder from yr daughter. I will leave something on my plate today.
Suzlen: I always remind myself, it isn't how many times I fall off the wagon but how quickly I get back on.

Last edited by maryann; 07-07-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #51  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good afternoon Coaches,

Down 2.7 at my weigh-in so very happy with that. Went for a run this morning - credit. Trying not to think too much about the huge to-do list … sigh. One thing at a time, one breath at a time.

BillBE - Love those beans. I bet the leaving-stuff-on-plate gene is in your DNA somewhere, lol.

SuzLen - I’m very familiar with that carb overload feeling. Kudos for getting back on the wagon today.

onebyone - congrats on keeping weight steady during a very busy week. I totally relate to the difficulty of making a go of it as an artist, especially in this economy. Keep on keepin’ on - it’s worth it.

maryann - major kudos for the bike repairs and workout - really taking you out of your comfort zone. Well done!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #52  
Green Tomatoes

Running late with my post and with writing my food plan, today. Contributing to the same feeling that I had yesterday -- that I don't have enough time to do what I need for healthy eating or anything else right now. I wrote my food plan just now (and included what I ate already). And, here's my post. I want to work more with this time issue. I wish it were covered in the blue book as a diet trap but I don't see it. I guess I'll have to write my own!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +55 295/1300 minutes for July, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-08-2015, 06:40 AM   #53  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Work days went well. Monday I made my lo cal version of the best thing on the menu and enjoyed it. The kitchen was a little bit busy and the thought crossed my mind to just have it regular so credit for extra care. Scale was up with sodium yesterday and back down today. I'm going downstairs to spend some time and think through the next few days. I'm off work and alone and want to stay on track. Credit. I have lots of organic tomatoes, small ones, and I'm trying to keep up with two a day. They were overflow from my sisters catering event last Friday. It's cool here today. I turned on the heat and pulled out a turtleneck. Fortunately, it should warm up later.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #54  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Abandoned for dinner alone, I walked, CREDIT moi, to dinner at my favorite Greek restaurant. I planned my choices in advance even substituting double salad for the rice pilaf. Argh! They had closed for a vacation week. I kept walking to try an Italian restaurant that I've never tried. Only so-so. I ate more pasta than I wanted, but just kept going.

Eating was otherwise on plan, CREDIT moi. I'm snacking on grapes and cherries. On a trip to Costco, I ate NO FREE samples, CREDIT moi. I take the credit because I planned to take none. The choice was made easier because I was there in the morning when none were offered. I'll let Beck's logic of celebrating the positive, justify giving myself credit anyway. I'll also take credit for leaving behind a three pound bag of walnuts and HUGE bags of dark chocolate coated almonds.

onebyone – LOL at your defective "psychic talents" - a more powerful phrase than Beck's "Thinking Mistakes." Yay for, "... and I want to keep it going."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I hate that feeling that there isn't enough time to get it all done. Perhaps Beck's secret goal is to drive us to feel, "I guess I'll have to write my own!"

Erika (eusebius) – Yep, focusing on a huge to-do list can cause nothing to get done at all. Congrats on those pounds gone.

maryann - Kudos for conquering your bicycle chain - it's so empowering to know that you can do that anytime now.

SuzLen - I hate that kids of a certain age can consume a whole bag of chips with no change in weight. Neat that your outdoor performance was a good one.

Mike (NottsMike) - Thanks for taking the time to put paid to my ignorance of early 1900's British slang. Hope your enthusiasm for your new eating plan continues.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 39 Keep Up with Exercise

How You Can Change

Make sure you're doing a type of exercise you like. If you get bored with what you're doing, change it. One dieter told me that she finally hit on blasting music and strenuously dancing, all by herself, in her living room. Another dieter really disliked the exercise class she'd signed up for. She couldn't keep up. Finally, she switched to an easier class and began to enjoy it much more. A number of dieters have taken up organized sports instead of such solo exercise as running or swimming. Try out different possibilities.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 254.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #55  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Super brief check-in here. Back to the U.S. and back to work. Hard to transition from camping to desk under fluorescent lights. Got on scale last night and nearly shrieked. We'll see how it shakes out. Better note tonight or tomorrow. Need to catch up with everyone's posts, which I really enjoy! Healthy breakfast in place and soup for lunch.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #56  
Green Tomatoes

I had a really lousy day yesterday, culminating in a supper that was inedible. I'd already eaten more than I intended earlier in the day, so I just skipped supper. I never do that, so that's a pretty good indication about how upset I was.

A long talk with DH where he shared his opinion that I'm spreading myself too thin and I made a decision to give up, at least temporarily, on a big project to see if that gives me space and time to get to a happier place.

My food plan, at the moment, only goes through lunch. I'll be working on menus and grocery lists later today, but I'm pledging here that I will have a food plan before I eat my first snack.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +20 295/1300 minutes for July, Food: 70% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #57  

Good morning!

CREDIT for passing up the extra chips leftover from DS visit. He came by for lunch again yesterday and I told him to finish them off or take them with him. He is such an obedient son

Walked and lifted yesterday so CREDIT. Today is my last day here. Tomorrow morning we head to Arizona. It has been a good visit. Today will be planning the menus for the road. No snacking in the car required.

gardenerjoy: I hope your new schedule gives you the time and space you need. Stress can be a huge factor in going off-plan.

nationalparker: welcome back!

BillBB: I admire the willpower - even if circumstances made it a bit easier. Passing up chocolate almonds is NEVER easy.

Lexxis: the heater is July? Not many people can say that!!

eusebius: congrats on the good scale news!

maryann: loved the "finish the meal with no regrets" - my mom found success with her arthritis from going completely off ALL sugars. Even the natural ones - if it is more than 6g of natural sugar she doesn't touch it. Off course, she has more willpower than me

onebyone: credit for the weigh-in. Here's to hoping your next two shows are amazing.

Have a great Wednesday - it's hump day!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #58  

Height: 5' 2"

NationalParker Envy your vacation, not your having to be back at desk.

OnebyOne I think your thinking of yourself smaller than you actually are is a blessing. As your weight goes down, and it will, you won't be left with the image of being forever heavy.

Bill Disgusting these people who can leave good food on their plate, isn't it. I try, but . . .

We 3 went to West Virginia's, Cranberry Bogs for a delightful trip in nature to a very unusual place. Ferns as tall as I am (Royal Ferns), delightful plants we don't see normally. The plants there are ones left when the glaciers pushed Canadian plants south 10,000 years ago. Now there is a boardwalk to keep people from damaging this fragile place.

As a sophomore in College, Dr. Darlington who was the world authority on Cranberry Bogs took our class thru in rainy May. We not only sunk into the marshy ground, but when some guys way ahead of us jumped up and down, I could feel the ground vibrate below me!

I knew Dr. Darlington when I lived behind him as a very young child. He used to take us neighborhood kids into woods to look for interesting fungus, wild flowers and helped us feel really comfortable in nature. I knew him as MR. Darlington. In College I had such a treat to re-connect with him and increase my knowledge as I was in Biology and Botany as my field. I last saw him when I was 10, but got to stay by his side the entire time during the College trip.

Like some of you, we 3 are most comfortable away from fluorescent lamps and under the sky, blue or otherwise. I did all the driving, but with DD and DH for company, we had such a great, very full day.

Not an area for fancy meals, rather poor sections of WV passed as we drove up and back untill we got near Charleston. We chose to eat in a little restaurant that we knew the owner from many trips to WV Mountains in the past. She cooked special for us and it was tasty.

Scale up, but it is OK. Sometimes we have to simply let go the "shoulds" and enjoy what life offers.

May each of you enjoy this day, Sandy

Last edited by love2garden; 07-08-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #59  

Good morning everyone:
I just typed a long post and then got an error message when I hit submit. I'll try again but I'll be brief this time.

I took the day off yesterday and did a lot of de-cluttering. We are having 2 bedrooms and a bathroom painted so I need to clean out those rooms. It felt good to throw out 2 big trash bags full. Plus 2 boxes of things to give away.

And because I kept so busy I stayed out of the kitchen. I tend to eat when I'm not busy.

Take care.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #60  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Evening

Coaches

Hi. Reporting in tonight to say I had a very poor day today with the food. I couldn't stop the wanting to eat urges and I didn't stop myself
Basically I ate an extra meal all things told and right now like mere minutes ago, I grabbed some stuff out of the package in the fridge and mindlessly ate it. Geez. I'm feeling (and I should have written this out somewhere instead of eating over it) stresses. MIL has pneumonia now and an infection at the site of her stitches where the chest tube was removed. She's been on IV antibiotics since re-admission to the hospital Sunday morning. She'll be released tomorrow or the next day and DH will be staying overnight at her place to make sure someone is there in case she needs them ie. it's an emergency. I may not be there since I have to drive back and forth go my art show on the weekend. I was feeling borderline sick today so I ate over that and over MIL and over DH going there and not being around for me. I'm trying to get more work completed for the show but paintings and artwork not ceramics.

And of course tomorrow is official weigh in day and the scale was 0.9+ today and it emotionally got to me today. It was 270. I just feel low tonight. I did stop eating. Credit. I did not eat sugar. Credit. I weighed in and checked in here. I will continue my journey even if the scale rises tomorrow. This is not the end of the road. My weight loss journey is not over.

Thanks for reading.
Closed Thread