Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 PM   #121  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Off to bed in a few minutes. Early market day tomorrow.

Food good today. Tracked today. Got a grant application in on time today and hung a new art show this morning. All is well. Credits Galore.

Maryann: I'm hoping your pain has lessened. My thoughts are with you for speedy recovery. Hug.

Eusebius: sorry to hear about the struggles of your daughter and of you. I hope you find what works best for all involved. Hug.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-12-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 AM   #122  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was a rough eating day - Ouch. Three meal occasions happened, all with family, where too much food was served. The closest thing I did to sanity was to stop each time. As minor as that sounded, others were still digging in. The lunch at the "best Country Club around" just kept going and going. CREDIT moi that I ignored the fresh baked cookies at that one and the manufactured cookies at the evening affair. There's enough food left over to eat for the next two days - but I suspect that more will be procured in some way. My goal today is to keep the excess bounded.

Almost no exercise - Ouch again. That goes with almost no private time either.

onebyone – Good luck at your market today. And Kudos for another application submitted on time.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It always encourages me to read of a flexible response to a changing situation.

Erika (eusebius) – Sending heartfelt supporting thoughts as you seek ways to be there for your DD. Kudos for accepting that life has to proceed for both of you as the way forward.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Neat planning at high altitude in the thin air as you cross the continental divide.

maryann - Happy Birthday to your special DS. May all of your survive his being 13. Hope you find what makes your back comfortable.

nationalparker – Waving toward an airplane flying you to Florida. Hope you find some places cool enough to keep your wits.

Karen (karenrn) - Many Kudos for those four weeks sticking to your plan for no alcohol or sweets. Those temps (104, 106, and 110) just frighten me.

curlyjax - Kudos for accepting that blood work number as incentive to modify your diet rather than as discouragement to eat about.

dsha123 - Always Kudos for "Another successful day.'

SuzLen - Hope that 12 hour sleep means that you son is feeling better. Super Kudos for the strong measures to get that gourmet chocolate out of easy temptation.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

what are you thinking?
As you think about the rules you have for yourself and others, you may feel resistant to change. If so, you probably have sabotaging thoughts that you need to address. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: If I lower my expectations for myself, I’ll become completely unmotivated.
Helpful Response: It’s not all or nothing. I don’t have to lower my expectations completely, just enough to reduce stress.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 246.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
I woke up way too early today, 5 am, couldn't get back to sleep. Its harder to sleep well in the good weather with the early light and noisy birds, but i will take it over the snow anyway!!
Plus DH is away, tending to estate stuff with his brothers, and I don't sleep as well when he's gone. I''m glad he can have a break from job hunting routine.
I am taking a break from cooking while he's gone! and we're having a lot of takeout, but again i chose a lesser caloric sandwich yesterday- lobster roll from Paneras as a treat! not worth the money, but it will satisfy the desire for lobster and is lower calorie than some other sandwiches there, if i read the board correctly!
The kids and i are going to the gym this am so will get exercise in before it gets hot, so credit for that.

Eusebius-"I can't let this ruin my life"-good for you! It is very hard to not blame oneself for kid problems, i struggle with that myself. My DD has always been challenging, and I have blamed myself on and off for not doing the right thing, not doing enough etc. We do what we can, and we can't control their decisions/actions. But it is really painful to watch them struggle.
Lexiss- wow, your energy is amazing! I enjoy reading what you get accomplished, it is inspiring!
Nationalparker- I envy you a little for being able to travel for work, even though it sounds exhausting and hot! I would love a change of scene. But i know folks who travel do get very tired of it, and stuff piles up at home while they're gone.
Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-13-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #124  

Height: 5' 2"

SueLen How is your son today? So scary when our kids get so sick.

CurlyJax It IS harder to get back to sleep with good weather and light so early. I tried room darkening drapes over our venation blinds to help a great deal. Your DH will be having a real relief, even if you worry about him.

I've always loved being home and luckily DH doesn't like to travel either. I do miss seeing the Florida family but actually phone calls and facebook have allowed us to check in on some with real pleasure.

Karen you made 4 weeks? wow, your discipline is great. What is your next project to bring into control?

Bill You really had to work your resistance muscle. I agree, that times with family and lots of food is one of the hardest times to resist. While talking I will absentmindedly be also tasting.

Eusebius Being a parent or grandparent and worrying about the kids can really be a struggle. two grand children are seriously ill and we are afraid that one may not make it another year. Praying helps me but I still worry.

Exercise: Walked with DH 3/4 mile and had a new first. I could actually get some sentences in while walking!!! Usually I'm so out of breath with Asthma that I can't do much more than a single word or two. Gradually I'm getting some stamina as well as raising the number of steps I cover each week.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:59 AM   #125  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's challenge was lunch out as a business meeting. Credit for choosing from the on-line menu before I left home -- an eggplant appetizer (shared with everyone at the table) and a compressed melon & cucumber salad for the main dish (yum!).

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +30 435/1300 minutes for June, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Hugs for Eusebius and maryann and anyone else who is struggling with the very real events of life that can make it hard to put in our best efforts.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #126  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Quick check in, food on plan and within calories, credit. Bell Pass hike with 21 pound backpack this morning early, credit. DH is leaving tomorrow for 8 days, so my plan is even easier meals and hopefully a small weight loss. Better get to the little bit of laundry to be sure he has whatever he wants to pack. Have a good weekend!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Happy to report DS bday was stellar. Eight thirteen year olds in 105 degree weather. We bought each a water gun. We made hundreds of water balloons and set them loose in the orchard. They had the time of their lives. All we had to do was feed them. We also had a "rolling video games" bus come for 2 hours. I was proud that my son got tired of being inside after awhile and the party followed him out of the truck to begin a giant game of capture the flag. I was all prepared to run games and such as I have done in bdays past but the kids neither needed nor wanted such structure. They were completely self entertaining. Credit for me letting them go. We enter the teen years on a positive note.

Despite my resistance, I took the pain meds yesterday. I will take half dose today and tomorrow. I tried to switch to ibuprofen but it didn't touch the pain. So I am going to follow doc's orders. We have three more events today and tomorrow. I am not going to white knuckle through them. Monday I have another Dr. visit to get a real plan in place. Credit for me accepting what is. I am in pain. I need help with the pain. First things first.

Food is chaotic right now. Weight is three pounds up from ticker. Today's plan is a healthy breakfast - check. A salad for lunch - check and a sit down dinner. I will eat all food sitting down from this minute on till I go to sleep. I will feel successful if this happens and not nag myself to do more. For right now, it is the best I can do.

The house is a clutter/mess of ending school, illness and bday stuff but I will not clean it until next week. First things first. There is healthy food in the fridge and I will eat that.

I remind myself, healthy eating is a long race. I don't have to "finish" anything today.

Eusebius: My heart goes out to you and your daughter. I was a 12 year old in pain but my parents were too wrapped up in drama and alcoholism to help even though they wanted to try. Although my teenage years were very painful, I can say I am a happy, thriving adult able to meet life on life's terms. In some ways I am grateful I faced my demons at a young age. It forced me to self actualize early while many of my friend have only just started their introspective journeys at 50. So credit for "seeing" daughter. She has a whole life time of happiness waiting for her after you two walk through this darkness.

nationalparker: I am impress how you are facing all this travel. I (like love2garden) do not like to leave home. Credit for continuing to post through the distractions.

curleyjax: Yeah for gym with kids.

onebyone: Good luck at the market.

gardenerjoy: Your mention of the melon salad reminded me that in two months we will have our share of a crop of honeydews. There is nothing like melons that have actually ripened on the vine. No mass manufactured chemical food could ever match the taste.

BBE: Ouch for a three meal food occasion. Never easy.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-13-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #128  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Hi All...

Sorry I've been absent again from this thread for a few days... And I haven't been using the BDS the last several days either.... It's funny, I don't really feel "on track"... But I don't necessarily feel "off track" either... Just spent the week recovering from overdoing a bit in the gym the week before... And dealing with the scale going nowhere fast...

And gardenerjoy what a coincidence... But that "Blast from the Past" thing I think I might have mentioned was a Richard Simmons "Deal-A-Meal" set that I just picked up off Amazon... Now I never did "Deal-A-Meal" back in the day... But I love old diet books and cookbooks and stuff like that... So for nostalgia's sake I decided I had to have it... Now I'm not exactly carrying around my Deal-A-Meal wallet with me everywhere I go just yet... Lol... I am having fun using it at home once in a while... And now of course I so want one of those "Food Movers"... What a hoot... too funny...
Old 06-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #129  
persist

Default Whoa. Bummer.

Wow Coaches

I seriously underestimated my points count on my food today. Plus I overate because I was so exhausted from getting up super early, loading unloading setting up selling packing up unloading then grocery shopping while even more tired then home to a DH who didn't have time for me so I couldn't soothe myself properly (did I say I was tired?) And so I made dinner and ate two servings. Just a high high calorie day. Thankfully the bulk of the week lays ahead but wow. How quickly things can get away from me. I need to plan a strategy for choosing food while tired cause I'm not getting much of a break until the middle of July. It won't always be as intense as today but I need to be vigilant.

I'm back on track as of now. Credit.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #130  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Flag Day (Thanks Betsy Ross, June 1776)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – One more day with much food and little exercise. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. My time was spent tending to the needs of others all day. I take a CREDIT moi for heaping a bunch of salad on my dinner plate instead of all the pasta dishes available.

There were food pushers to remind me that family asserts the right to say things not expected from adult to adult, e.g. "Is that all you're eating?" That asked of me who is seriously older than 18. Whose only crime was that my food didn't overlap on the plate leaving visible spaces. Then, last night when gathering up to return to our motel and saying goodbyes, I encountered the strongest food pusher I've ever met. I told a family friend that we really enjoyed the pound cake that she'd made for dinner. She responded, "When are you leaving tomorrow? I can put another one in the oven tonight and deliver it to you before you go." Arrrrrrrgh!

onebyone – Congrats for making it through a tough day. Choosing food while tired is a real challenge.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Melon and cucumber for a main dish sounds like a wise choice. My peeve right now is being offered a dessert with lunch - just so unnecessary.

maryann - Congrats for pulling off a super birthday party for your DS. Kudos for having a plan to move through your pain until you can get to your doctor for relief.

Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for the weight in your pack creeping up each time you report.

curlyjax - Speaking of lobster rolls, the Boston Globe Sunday Magazine did an article on "Best of" that included a mouthwatering picture of a lobster roll from a restaurant in the Italian North End. I'm now on a kick to get a really good lobster roll. Thanks for the clue that Panera Bread isn't the place for me to look. Hope you can get some sleep.

love2garden - Yay for being able to talk while walking.

TripSwitch - Kudos for listening to your body when recovering is what it needs.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress
. ..Once I take steps to reduce my
overall stress, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 247.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:52 AM   #131  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
My time was spent tending to the needs of others all day.
Sympathy and understanding. Especially if you weren't able to hack out much private time. I am in this situation most of the time at present. As it's ongoing, I am able to insist on time for myself although there isn't enough of this to do all I'd like to do. Time will roll on, though, and things will change.

Have done a good set of exercises this morning. Credit!

to all my Beck friends, old and new.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #132  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Food continues good and is reflected at weigh in. Credit. I resisted a strong urge to take myself to dinner somewhere, which was a simple way for me to eat something that wasn't in my home. Credit for resistance and a simple dinner at home. I'm making lots of progress in my yard which entails all sorts of physical activity. Yesterday I finished initial phase of reclaiming the top of a rock wall which is covered in creeping bellflower, a terribly noxious plant. There was also 10+years of soil on top which needed to be removed, as well. The wall is 12 ft. tall, 30 ft long and 12-18" wide. And bordered by a wire fence. I was very careful as I kneeled for many hours and removed soil with a hand tool. Credit.

eusebius, I send you supportive thoughts as you walk through a very painful time with your daughter. ((hugs))

maryann, I loved hearing of your DS birthday party. So wonderful to experience kids just "having fun". Kudos for making that happen despite ongoing pain.

Today I head back to the real job. It's an interesting transition each week as I'm putting so much outside time into projects.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #133  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday's epiphany. When I feel fat, I (rationally) assume that I'll need to lose 10-15 pounds, or more, to feel better. But feelings aren't rational. I feel better as soon as I do something better.

This became crystal-clear yesterday because of what I chose to wear on Friday and Saturday. On Friday, I'd had a couple of slightly-off days and wasn't feeling very good about myself so I wore a jacket even though it was in the 90s. I feel like I look better in a jacket on days I feel fat. But, I had a good day on Friday and, perhaps most importantly, I went for my healthiest breakfast option on Saturday. So, I felt better and I wore a tucked-in t-shirt and felt perfectly fine about how it looked.

So, here's my new response card: "When I feel fat, I'm one healthy choice away from feeling better."

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +30 465/1300 minutes for June, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

TripSwitch: funny to think of all the fitness fads that have come and gone and Richard Simmons is still here!
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 PM   #134  
persist

Thumbs up Sunday Sunday.

Coaches:

Well a better food day today and now the kitchen is closed.

I spent the day at the pottery studio with my friend and we completed our work and it's already in the kiln in a special drying cycle and tonight it will fire down.

.By Thursday I'll be half way toward stock for my 1st all ceramic show. *credit for planning and hard work.

Foodwise a better day. I can still improve quite a bit over the coming week and I will. Mostly it's upping the vegetables. Today I cooked from scratch and for me this is a real key to staying on track.

Guess that's it. Exhausted yet again. Have a good night.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:36 AM   #135  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It feels good to be home. I didn't overeat at dinner last night, CREDIT moi. And, I only had half of the sandwich that I made to eat while driving home. Admittedly, the sandwich was made under the gaze of the family food pushers who wouldn't have allowed me to leave with a modest lunch that would provide the amount of calories consumed by sitting in a car all day. Driving snack was, again, baby carrots consumed in something like moderation.

Exercise was nil for the fourth day in a row. I feel like the fat tire man. I'm off to gym after breakfast this morning to remind my body what the muscles are used for.

onebyone – Congrats for getting half way toward the volume you need for your ceramic show.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Love the correlation between "feeling fat" and dressing as if it's so.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for recognizing that the desire to eat out can be a desire to eat off plan. Congrats for attacking that wall.

silverbirch – Yep, insisting on time for myself would have been a wise course. It would have been possible; I only needed to break the chains of I shoulds that kept me in place.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 38 Deal with a Plateau
Many dieters think that they should be able to lose weight every week without interruption. Do you think so, too? Let me ask you this. Has that been your experience in the past? Most people lose some weight, stay the same for a week or two, lose some more, gain a little back, lose some more, plateau for a week or two, and so on.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 248.
Closed Thread