Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post

Violette First mini-goal: 145 pounds.??? What do you really mean? My mini goal is 5 pounds at a time. I've been all spring getting just that much gone.
Ugh. Don't get me started on that. :/

My ultimate (and admittedly ambitious) goal is a size 4. I'm guesstimating, based on previous weight loss/dress size change correspondence, that this will be about 125 pounds but am not married to that weight. I'm currently a size 10 and about 150, up from 139 and size 6/8 before I moved and started a new job about 1 1/2 years ago.

145 pounds is the point where I'm "healthy" and not "overweight" on the BMI scale. I question the BMI measure as much as anyone else but it seemed as good a mini-goal as any.

Ugh. I just can't get there. For months I've been up and down between about 147 and 155. It's very frustrating and demotivating.

Last edited by Violette_R; 06-08-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Re-reading Day 31: Decide About Drinking.

Beck's a psychologist so she obviously isn't going to endorse heavy drinking. But "my personal decision is...I'd rather spend my calories on food" isn't a point of view that's helpful to me in deciding about drinking.

I say this in jest and don't expect any serious answers. But I want the book that teaches you how to lose weight while still drinking like Patsy and Eddie.*
Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #78  

Height: 5' 2"

Violette Yea, I want 100 pounds to melt off and my stomach and rest of my body to shrink so I'm size I was in my early 20's. With over 50 years of eating and some of them with little exercise, no way.

I do choose to eat only healthy foods and stop before I"m full. So far doing very well in June.
I Choose to move more hours of the day and avoid the "sitting syndrome" that many doctor's say is a sure road to bad health.

Walking is enjoyable most days, and even able to garden and clean house on same day finally. THese new Beck habits are beginning to pay off. Thank Goodness.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #79  

Jumping in here headfirst - I just discovered this forum, and specifically the Beck Diet subforum. Please bear with me as I figure out the etiquette of your site...

I have the book, which I bought a couple of years ago, but I really never did more than skim it. It all seemed like "stuff you already know" - except it's not so easy to implement it! So, that's what brought mere here, just Googling to learn more about what peeps are saying about the Beck Solution. This seems like a cool place to hang out!

More later when I get more familiar with the site...
HC
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #80  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Welcome, Honey Combe! Glad to have you join in!

Finally made the salad I'd planned to a few days ago that kept getting sideswiped by life/other plans. It wasn't as good as I planned as I added too much water to the dressing and then tried to modify. Bleh. I'll prob dump the dressing and start over tomorrow night. DH grilled chicken (mine) and salmon (his) ... but mistakenly took the chicken in for his dinner It's better than the time he took a paper bag of peeled carrots that I had put in the fridge, all set to roast. He thought I'd prepped his dinner, took it after waking up and surprise at midnight when he ate dinner. ha ha

Nothing will get done tonight, other than relaxing, honestly. Such a busy four days that I enjoyed catching up with a cousin, will relax and read my mystery, and hit the sack EARLY.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #81  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Welcome Honey Combe! Glad you have joined us! I did get a small chuckle at your comment. Yes, there are many things that we know but a little different implementing those things day in and day out. Dr. Beck teaches us that it's possible!

I've had a good day today both food wise and work wise. I had the day off from work because I had to go to traffic court. Oops. Interestingly, when I got my ticket I just didn't stress about it. Figured oh well I was speeding take the consequences. It was interesting to watch everybody get up with all their excuses. a lady said her car was missing so she was revving the engine like dad had told her to. An older gentleman said that he was going down a very steep hill enjoying the scenery and it's very hard to go downhill slowly but he was definitely not going as fast as the radar said. It just seemed easier to accept that I was going to fast and got caught. LOL.
I did, however, plan my day ahead of time. I was at Home Depot at 6 AM loading nine bags of woodchips by myself since the helper doesn't show up until 7 AM. Always grateful I can do it. Credit. Went to court then went right over and worked with sister to accomplish a small landscaping project at moms. Glad that is done, too. Mom wanted to take us to lunch but I suggested healthy items at my house so we had a healthy lunch which didn't cost anything. I had an afternoon nap and a snack and am going to an evening meeting. Decided I will take my own granola bar so I won't be tempted by awful treats.
Tomorrow back to work at 5:30 AM but not before I once again haul all the dumpsters of weeds which I have pulled this previous week. Once off work I'll decide when I will cross the Rockies to tend to my other yard.

Gardenerjoy, loved your picture and congratulations on your accomplishment! It's hard to remember we were young once until we look at the pictures. LOL
Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #82  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome Honey Combe

Honey Combe

And, on the occasion of your first post,

Neat that you discovered Beck's book - among your own read books.

Congrats for using google to find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 AM   #83  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, and walked to the library to pick up Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania. I'm a fan of other books by Erik Larson so I'm psyched for a good summer read.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi. At one point I longed for some cookies from Rome, but knew that I wasn't hungry. I had a few baby carrots that satisfied the longing. Dinner was 13 bean soup made with the last of the Easter ham that had been saved in the freezer for soup - eaten on the patio without wearing jackets. Breakfast included too many blueberries because they're available in abundance and too many is so easy to justify.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It bugs me no end that I, too, find myself in the "get away with as much as possible" mindset instead of the how-little-suffices mindset.

Erika (eusebius) – Like the notion of "WW friendly Mac and cheese" since I'm a fan and dream of someday being able to eat it in the volumes that I did previously, LOL.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for not letting a traffic ticket throw you off. Love reading that you were at Home Depot at 6 am - mornings are such good times to live.

nationalparker – LMAO at your DH opening a bag of peeled carrots expecting his lunch. That would make a good YouTube moment. Relaxing is good.

love2garden - Yay for steps forward, "able to garden and clean house on same day."

Violette_R - Had to google Patsy and Eddie and now wish I'd seen the shows. Kudos for recognizing that it's a challenge to find one's path through the costs and benefits of drinking.

SuzLen - Yep, Kudos for giving yourself credit. Neat to be "substituting new traditions" - that seems to me to be a big step forward. It's easy to get stuck in last year's traditions as if they had to be carried forth.

Honey Combe - Our etiquette here is to jump right in so you're right on track. I share you first impression of Beck - that it's "stuff you already know." It took me some time to realize that that was a good thing - she wasn't out in the clouds making us new stuff. You put your finger on the challenge; it's hard to implement the simple stuff day after day without some strategies that help. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how:

Relax your rules for others.
Your "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts" show up when you have unrealistic rules about the way other people behave. When Tom was annoyed with his teenagers, he looked at his rules for them: They should be more appreciative. They should help around the house more. Bobbie was unhappy with her family because of her rule: People should give back to me as much as I give to them.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 246.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #84  

Default Happy Tuesday

Good morning Diet Buddies:

Stayed on plan yesterday (hurray!) even when I got a little shaky in the grocery store because it had been so long since I had eaten lunch. It was the first day of summer school and I had to choose between eating standing up (because I was helping 30 preschools with their lunch) or eating quickly (I only had 10 minutes between lunch duty and getting my kids) - I chose to sit and eat. I find I am often eating on the run or while getting the next part of my day ready before the kids get back. It will be a problem I really have to work on fixing before school begins again in earnest in the Fall.

I am going on a week with my new "spiralizer" and am finding delicious recipes on the internet. My son with celiac has eaten a ton of vegetables (who needs real noodles??) and my husband has enjoyed the meals as well. I don't know how long this honeymoon will last but we will all no doubt find a happy "medium".

At the end of the month, I am taking a summer road trip out west with my 72 year old mother, her two little dogs, and my son with celiac. It should be interesting. Mom is off of high fats, high carbs, and no sugar - nada (she has amazing self control) - she has found that ALL of her arthritis has disappeared since getting off sugar completely - even natural foods that have sugars - like milk and juices. It has been amazing for her - she feels great, but it makes me wonder what we are really going to be eating on the road! We will have to be creative to keep everyone happy and healthy.

BillBlueEyes
: Your new book sounds amazing. I am always looking for a good read. It is on my list to look for at the library.

Honey Combe: Welcome, I am new here at well. Congratulations on beginning again!

nationalparker
: It is discouraging when those longed-for recipes don't work out. I have plenty of experience with that. Why do things look so good in the pictures?

love2garden
: My body is older than my mind, and I have finally accepted the fact I won't have my 20-year old frame back. I honestly think I would look sickly, but that's probably because I am used to my extra padding

eusebius
: I think the "no distractions" part will be a big challenge for me. I feel like I always have to multi-task - even when I'm eating!

Have a great day y'all!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #85  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Just a quick check in this morning - didn't sleep too well.

I stayed OP and did a short run/walk yesterday. Today my boyfriend stayed over so my routine is thrown off, but I plan to do some yoga and stay with my eating plan at least. WW weighin will be tomorrow instead of today. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:37 AM   #86  
Green Tomatoes

Another good eating day, including some of the last of the local strawberries for this year at both breakfast and a snack -- which helped me give myself smaller servings of starches. CREDIT!

WI: -0.25 kg, Exercise: +50 330/1300 minutes for June, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, Honey_Combe!

SuzLen: We take a big cooler on road trips these days. I sacrifice variety for getting to eat foods that fit into my plan better than what we can get at highway interchanges.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #87  

Height: 5'5

Morning all! I haven't been on for a few days, I've kept to things for the most part, trying to keep it up! I have to keep reading the book, I've only made it to the exercise chapter..eek! I'm down 2 pounds this week though, so that's a positive. I've stayed away from the cafeteria for the most part (got a muffin yesterday, and threw it out..it wasn't good). Been leaving stuff on my plate, trying to remember to read my card..the weekend always derails me a little! anyway, have a good one
Old 06-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #88  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Welcome Honey Combe!

Just got back from my Bell Pass hike without a pack, credit. It was 84 degrees when I left the house at 4:40 a.m. and it was the same temp when I finished the hike. Fortunately there was a little breeze on the way up the hill and a few rain drops on the way back. I used to set a limit of 83 degrees at being the max starting temp, but I need the training. I found today it was fine will disregard the temps if possible.

Yesterday I did my gym workout at home as best I could. We had company that arrived Sunday and stayed over (planned). I kept thinking I should head to the gym before they got up and turns out I would have had plenty of time. Finally I was getting so frustrated I just did the routine at home. I am very spoiled by having all the time in the world to do what I want when I want. It wasn't always this way.

Food was probably a little over yesterday but not by much. Today will be fine. Still no alcohol or sweets even with company who drank a couple of bottles of wine. I must say I am quite proud of myself. It will be 4 weeks Thursday.

Nationalparker Some new survey listed 3 Arizona places in the list of best places to retire, Phoenix (including Mesa and Scottsdale), Tucson and Prescott. I know all these different lists have different parameters and who knows what to believe, but I think it's a good place if a person wants lots of time outdoors. There are plenty of cultural and sporting events in the Phoenix area too.

More tomorrow, need to get my PT exercises done.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #89  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Went to bed early and storms moved advanced on us quickly, so got up and secured some things on our patio and then was wide awake for awhile... so read more in The New Frugality by Chris Farrell (of NPR). Not wanting to cheap out our life, but wanting to live a bit more frugally in some areas to be able to redirect funds to other things I/we want more. Food has been good for breakfast and lunch. Raced home at lunch and prepped salad to go with DH's salmon for his dinner. I know he won't cut up romaine, etc., so figure might as well. I finished the rest of the black bean soup and rice after leaving it for him for a couple of days. Fair game now.

I need to pick up a new immersion blender. Something is wrong with mine to where every time I immerse it into the smoothie, it foams it all up and out of the cup. DH and I are at odds - he thinks it's fine since the item is actually spinning. I know that this is wacky, after a few years of smoothie-making. This morning's banana pineapple one created a mess and was the final straw. I feel wasteful since this one DOES blend but you can only blend about a half cup in a huge cup without it overflowing and that's not feasible.

Bill - Please let us know how you like that book when you finish it. I checked it out in audiobook format since I seem to enjoy his more when I listen to them, but ran out of time, having only listened to maybe 1/5 before my trip and am back on hold. I really was fascinated by Devil in the White City and the Marconi one - name is escaping me. I'm on hold for Days of Rage by Bryan Burroughs - LOVED Public Enemies. Heard him on NPR and ordered that book, rare for me to buy one. But this one might not really be up my alley... I think I'm more into Dillinger than these underground groups.

Lexxiss - Do you set an alarm to get up and go hiking or do you happen to wake up? Do you always feel safe going out that early when it's fairly desolate? I hesitate to go alone with our dog when the cornfield is so high, since it's not super safe here... (meaning I can't see all around me).

Haven't weighed in a few days after the ultra high number. I'll see what it is tomorrow, adjust and move forward. I indulged on Sunday but worked off a lot, too.

Goal tonight is to get outside and finish up a project that we left looking a bit wonky on Sunday. Honestly I do not want to mess with it and get all filthy again. What a weenie! Will think how nice it'll look to have it all done.

Joy - Your line keeps going through my mind, probably not the same as you wrote it but the same intent - it's not what I can get away with, but it's what I can do to improve. I've put that on a card now. I think I'll put that on the fridge - since that's where my trying to "get away" with another bit of cheese will occur.

Lexxiss - LOL at your honesty in the ticket. I got stopped once on my way to a funeral and was speeding 45 in 35 and was late to boot so it just further slowed me down.

SuzLen - Cracking up at your spiralizer note Hope that veggie noodle honeymoon keeps on! I might have to just try that one of these days. We, too, travel with a cooler, but augment with fresh fruit, etc. I love the by-the-road fruit stands but have to be mindful to wash stuff more these days than I used to worry about... ignorance was bliss years ago out in Montana with the cherry stands.

Good luck with WW weigh in tomorrow, Eusebius!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Flat on my back for three days with left shoulder and arm pain. Ended up in the hospital and was tested for a heart attack among other things. Negative - thank god. The only thing that relieved the pain was morphine. Geese Louise. Thankfully,my own doc yesterday gave me some stuff to relax muscle and sleep. This morning, I feel a little like myself again but what a strain.

DH did all the shopping during the crisis which means my house has been loaded with crap which is NEVER there and when it came time to eat with medicines guess what I chose. Scale says 3 pounds up but I'm letting it go. I delayed my pain pill just long enough to go to the store (it makes me woozy) where I did a dash to the fresh aisles. Now plenty of lettuce, fruit, yoghurt. So today wasn't perfect but it was logged in and much better.

Feeling a lot better this evening and hope to only do pain meds tom. night to sleep. Doc said I was dehydrated and that caused the spasms. Tough to understand. I have to drink a couple big bottles of Gatorade per doc orders. I NEVER drink sodas but I wasn't going to not drink it. Finished two. Logged calories.

Credit for me remembering the principles. The scale is just a number for information. I have the skills to lose any weight I gain. First things first. Get healthy and get off my own back.

Thanks for listening. Hope to catch up with all of you later this week.

MA
Closed Thread