Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome christabelle66

christabelle66

And, on the occasion of your first post,

Neat that you learned of her books from Dr. Judith Beck herself. I've never heard her speak.

Glad to hear that google easily directed you here.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:40 AM   #17  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Welcome, dsha123 and christabelle! I really liked going through the pink book day by day my first time around, and I still go back to it for specific work on specific tasks. I have found a lot of wisdom for my specific situation (maintenance) in the green book. I've chosen not to purchase the blue book (yet).

I stayed with my food plan yesterday although I made a legitimate switch for dinner. Work was absolutely crazy yesterday and I was beat by the time I got home. I went directly upstairs and laid flat on the bed specifically to get off my feet. I purposely did not bring any food. After about an hour I was able to make a viable plan for dinner. I made it I ate it and I went to bed early. Today is my early day and I still need to haul my 4 big trash cans to the road for pickup. Last weeks project left a giant pile of weeds/grass etc that I need to keep moving down the road. Credit moi for keeping up with all.

I'm gearing up for a visit from my Brother Thursday. He won't stay long and we have no "plan". I will just keep focusing on my own projects and when they want me to do something I will participate. Fortunately, our kind friend mowed our lawns on the other side yesterday. So sweet and nice I don't have to think about that this week.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #18  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Full Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did gym, CREDIT moi, with a trainer who only wanted to hear of food consumed in Italy. It rained all day with temperatures below 50 degrees F; I took that as permission to avoid walking and put away all that got displaced by packing for my trip.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, starting with breakfast of cereal without milk since we didn't go to the store last night. Sardines for lunch since we had no bread, but scrambled eggs for dinner after DW went shopping. I missed my after dinner gelato.

Vignette of Rome 1: Sheer joy to discover the church where Galileo's inquisition was held, Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri or St. Mary of the Angels and Martyrs, complete with a zodiac designed by Michelangelo. We arrived about 11:45 am so were delighted that we'd get to see the solar spot hit the meridian line at noon when the sun was directly overhead. Duh! Italy is on daylight savings time while the sun is not. So we easily found a place for a hot Panini and came back at 1300. Duh again! The time zone spans an hour; the Basilica was exactly under the sun at 1307 hours. Yay for astronomy. A ten foot pendulum and description of Galileo's contribution added to the fun.

onebyone – LOL at "I will never be thinprettyyounggoodenoughsmartenoughcleverenoughin sertwishhere____" Congrats for recognizing that you "get really antsy and cranky when I am not making things."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos, as usual, for meeting your monthly exercise goals, per: "Exercise: +55 1300/1300 minutes for May."

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Thanks for the Bentornato.

silverbirch – Thanks for the Welcome Back.

nationalparker – Congrats on another two pound adjustment in your ticker. LOL at Batman stamp.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for starting your "first Strong Curves workout." [Yep, the Borghese Museum was a highlight. We arrived with tickets and reservations make two months earlier, which was quite fortunate since folks attempting admission off the street were told that the next slot was in the following week.]

curlyjax - Your new arbor with "pergola type top" sounds fun.

dsha123 - Kudos for "back on track today" - a key strategy. When I started with Beck, The Beck DIET solution was her only book. It spoke to me because I wanted the 42 day structure to avoid dropping out. I don't have a strong opinion about which of the three current books to read first. Since my take is that it's for the long, long run, slowly reading all three over the years makes sense.

christabelle66 - It's the perfect etiquette to jump right in and join us. Super Kudos for reading all three books by Dr. Judith Beck at the starting gate. And Kudos again for recognizing that losing weight still requires gaining the skills to keep it off. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how:

Identify the rules you have for yourself. Your "shoulds" and "shouldn'ts" will probably show up when you try to do problem solving, and you'll exclude reasonable solutions if your rules are too rigid.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 245.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #19  
Green Tomatoes

Still not getting my routines humming along, but I have some hope for today. Posting here and reading my advantages and responses makes it more likely that the rest will fall into place.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40 1300/1300 minutes for June, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

christabelle66: Welcome!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 06-02-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #20  

Height: 5'5

Morning folks! Thanks for the book advise all. I will keep reading pink book. I'm on exercise day today I planned on it last night-no credit for me, darnnit!
Credits for eating as planned. I was a little over my calorie goal, but I stayed away from the cafeteria and didn't gorge when I got home. I read my card and I ate mindfully. I also didn't eat everything on my plate, which is a personal goal. So I can't start any exercise until Thursday, but I will do it!!! Thanks for listening and congrats on all your credits!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #21  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning Coaches

Welcome back BillBlueEyes... I loved Italy... I've been a few times, but not for quite a while now... Hopefully I'll make it back there again one day soon...

Welcome christabelle66... And a big hello to everyone here...

Moving right along with the BDS tasks, even though I am doing many of them far from perfectly... But since perfectionism is one of my big problems, especially when it comes to dieting... I'm just trying to do each task to the best of my ability and keep forging ahead.... Realizing that this isn't a "One and Done" thing and that I'm going to need to revisit a lot of this as I keep moving forward...

So I've decided to give going to the gym and working with a trainer another go... And this was the perfect week to start that since its been really chilly and rainy here... So spent and hour and a half working out each day, yesterday and today... and this morning was in the gym by 6:30 am... So a BIG CREDIT there!

I'm really excited about this month... I have some ambitious goals for June... I am definitely getting out of the 160's and then that means that getting down to 158.7 is only right around the corner... Which will mean that I'll earn my 60 lb wight loss badge on Fitbit which I'm very excited about... And who knows, getting to GOAL could also be a very real possibility... But the really good news is that I really feel ready to "Keep On... Keeping On..."

Hope everyone here is having a great day...
Old 06-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #22  

Height: 5' 2"

Bill we missed you!! I was glad to see your name today. How on earth did you have will power to leave those books behind? The experience at St. Mary of the Angles and Martyrs was really interesting. Glad you were persistent. I would have loved that.

Welcome Christabelle This group is very supportive and bet you will appreciate the help given.

Like TripSwitch I have ambitious goals for June. Almost feel that it is my last chance to take advantage of good summer weather to be active so I can be more alive.

Debbie thank goodness (or rather your neighbor) for help with the outside yard work. No wonder you are exhausted when you get home.

Colonoscopy over, normal results and another 5 years before a repeat. Experience was helped by a surprise of waking up to a friend who is nurse there and her special treatment is so appreciated. All the staff were friendly as well as competent. I feel so blessed.

Today my first of series of shots of lubricant to make my knee more comfortable. Must rest today, but beginning tomorrow I can really rev up my exercise so June will show a loss.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
woo, i think the temp dropped about 30 degrees from last week! very weird weather, its rainy and cold but should be better rest of the week.

i am struggling hard to NOT eat emotionally. I am craving some warm gooey think because of the weather and feeling a little down. we even have chocolate chips in the house and mushy bananas, an evil combo -banana bread! but i am resisting making it!!

A job came up that i would LOVE. its really close by and a friend of mine works there, i would have a good shot at getting it. but its really part time and n o benefits at all, and with our current situation i can't give up benefits like health insurance. I went home yesterday and cried about it, i have been looking for something like this for over a year and now i can't do it.
I am NOT eating over it though!!

But i am determined to get organized and find something else within the next six months; this job is boring, kind of silly and lonely, and i'm losing my only work colleague to be replaced by who knows what. So that is my personal goal for the next few months!!
love2garden- glad your test went well! i haven't' done any yet but i know they are not fun!
waving to all-
Old 06-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #24  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Welcome Christabelle!

Food on plan and within calories, credit. Did my 7 1/2 mile hike with a 16 1/2 pound backpack this morning, credit. It is kind of warm and I go early, but it was still in the low 80's when I finished before 8 a.m. I would prefer it to be cooler, but it isn't going to be and I need to work up to a 30 pound pack in the next couple of months. So credit for the hike. I was so tired when I got home that after cleaning up I had a little snack and took a 30 minute power nap.

An hour ago when I was doing my physical therapy exercises I looked out the back french door and saw the pool had waves in it. That was because the dog had fallen in, again. We keep a really close eye on him because he is nearly blind. This is the 4th time he has fallen in. I ran out and pulled him out from near the side of the deep end. He doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear. I've already started keeping the dog door in every time I leave the house. Now I will keep it in unless I am able to see the backyard and am paying attention to him.

I mentioned on the Decluttering thread that I'm reading "the life-changing magic of tidying up, the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing" by Marie Kondo. It's actually kind of a quick, fun read. Anyway the point is that she suggests starting with your clothes and to get all of them together from all closets, etc. So I am using that as a goal to work toward. If I can just get about 15 pounds off I will do a major job of determining what of the small clothes I want, or not.

I found another bin of clothes, mostly shorts and pants and some of them fit or are near. I imagine they will be too big in 15 pounds. I think I can start right now with getting rid of some of the too big things, especially the ones I know I don't want to wear again.

Well I'd better get out the door to physical therapy. I'll get to personals tomorrow.

Last edited by karenrn; 06-02-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #25  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Food has been okay today - dinner started with a bowl of strawberries before they went mushy. Credit. Then small baked potato and a bit of chicken. BUT then thought, might as well have a small serving of the focaccia bread - better eat THAT before it goes bad. RIGHT? ARGH. Luckily i'd not snacked and dinner was light, so I had some wiggle room. No choice didn't come to mind for tonight. Froze the rest to enjoy another time.

Karen - I read that book a few months ago and still have my drawer contents folded the same way, though I didn't buy her theory that the clothes want to be folded neatly We did clear out a lot of clothes, and several jackets/coats as well during reading that. Thank goodness you noticed the pool water moving and were able to rescue your dog. That is scary.

CurlyJax - This is out of left field, but any thought to interviewing for the position or calling to see the possibility of it being reconsidered as fulltime wtih benefits (not just bv you need it but what could it provide the company as well?) ... I hear about people who have lucked out with stuff like that, but no idea if it could be a possibility.

Bill - Enjoyed vignette #1 - keep 'em coming! My fave pic of DH is outside the Pantheon with the look of joy and peace on his face, amid the bustle of everyone around us. The photo sits in my kitchen window and I am reminded of that evening daily for a few years

Waving hello to everyone else - committing to getting to bed on time and have chores to wrap up.

Last edited by nationalparker; 06-02-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:06 PM   #26  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Good evening Coaches,

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back!!

I am quite happy to report that I was down 1.5 lbs at my WW weigh-in today. I know the Beck skills are at work. I’ve been using a great iPhone app called “Mindful Bite” (not sure if it’s been mentioned here before) which rings a meditation bell every 30 seconds to help you pace your eating. It really works - I went out for breakfast with a friend this morning and found myself waiting much longer between bites than I normally would.

I ran/walked this morning, credit. Three on-plan meals including WW-friendly cheeseburger and fries to keep my daughter happy, credit. Meditated twice today already and am going to our weekly group meeting tonight - credit.

BillBE - I think the Amalfi Coast is going on my bucket list. My boyfriend has relatives in Sicily, so it may not be too far in the future. Very interested to hear all about your travels!!

I’m really sorry I haven’t gotten to personals in a meaningful way yet. There is so much going on, including some tension between me and my boyfriend, and I’m a single mom for the week as well. I am reading everyone though.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 AM   #27  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile good end to the day

Coaches

Most of the day was fine but this evening there was a flurry of annoying overly emotional emails from potters' guild members. I have decided to step back from the crazy energy. What energy I have has to stay focused on me and my work, with minimal bits given to the guild. *credit for taking a time out.

Foodwise today was better and on plan. Excellent. *credit. Went for a walk tonight with DH *credit. Gotta hit the hay now. Grateful that is just a saying and that I don't actually sleep on hay. Bye!
Old 06-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #28  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The rain continues with temperature below 50 degrees F. Ugh! My walk, CREDIT moi, was short while carrying an umbrella.

Continued eating on plan, CREDIT moi, although an afternoon snack snuck in where I usually enjoy skipping it. I spent some time researching hotels and Airbnb's in Rome to see what other options had been available. I found a single room, with no kitchen privileges, in the home of a working woman for only 26 Euros per night, for women only. Can't believe that rates go that low. However, we especially enjoyed having separate places to sit and organize our adventures in a more standard priced apartment.

Vignette of Rome 2: We walked to the Circus Maximus which I've wanted to see ever since I learned the Warner Bros version of history from watching Charlton Heston riding his chariot in circles in Ben Hur (OK, in ovals). The place today just sits there unattended. No big signs, no ticket office. We wandered around it pretending to prepare for a race. It's currently used for concerts. We were the only tourists. I recommend it. (If races had been scheduled for that day, we'd have to sit in exactly the section assigned to us by our social status. Being a wealthy Roman Citizen was a good deal; the lower status roles meant back breaking work and no access to the Baths.)

onebyone – Kudos for recognizing that you can opt out of other folks' drama.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – "Humming along" sound good.

Erika (eusebius) – Super Kudos for finding a balance between on-plan eating and keeping your DD happy. [The Amalfi Coast is definitely Bucket List worthy.]

nationalparker – Yep, gotta save the focaccia bread. I'm a sucker for good breads. [Love the thought of your DH's picture outside the Pantheon.]

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for saving your dog. And Kudos for working on getting rid of clothes that don't fit.

curlyjax - Really strange to get hit with that 30 degree F temperature drop. DW pointed out to me that the heat was off because I hadn't bothered to replace the batteries in the thermostat because it was summer - heating season is over. Well, OK, maybe almost over.

love2garden - Yay for the five year schedule - that's reserved for patients with no bad news.

TripSwitch - Yep, moving away from perfection is a challenge; Kudos for recognizing that.

dsha123 - Not eating everything on your plate is a big deal - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 37 Reduce Stress

To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how:

Identify the rules you have for yourself. . . .
Gail was stressed at work. She knew the logical solution was to delegate some responsibilities. When she thought of doing so, though, her rule surfaced: I shouldn't let others do anything important because they might screw it up.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 245.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:36 AM   #29  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning Coaches

Having a bit of a food hangover today... Went off plan and overrate last night... Now I'm paying for it this morning... I actually feel a bit sick to my stomach... Time to pull out the "Oh, Well... " card and move on...

I guess the 3 hours in the gym the last 2 days might have had something to do with the ravanous appetite...

So today I'm keeping it both light at the gym and light at the dinner table and hopefully I'll feel a little bit better...

Have a great day everyone...
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #30  
Green Tomatoes

Like onebyone, a flurry of overly emotional email has me re-focusing on myself today. I just re-wrote my to-do list to reflect the new priority. CREDIT that both the original and the new lists have a complete food plan for today! That's an indication that I'm getting back on track. Much of my re-focus today will be on getting better in that direction.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 70/1300 minutes for June, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Closed Thread