Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #181  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

I just erased my post with many personals. I clicked on something so I could go back a little further, just like I did the other day, and Whoosh . . . gone.

So a shorty here. Food on plan yesterday and so far today, credit. 90 minute walk this morning, credit. Arm slowly getting better.

I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #182  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

On the road for work today and tomorrow. Late flight home with delays last night that put us an hour later than original arrival of close to midnight, along with a medical emergency on the flight so the paramedics boarded and took off the ill passenger first, so all in all, a variety of things to slow our progress home. Ended up with two hours of sleep and I'm wiped out. I noticed today I had heart palpitations which come and go very infrequently, and wondered if it was connected. Have an early workday tomorrow starting at 6 a.m. (early for ME!)

Food today - spot on. (This is being written before dinner- I'm hungry and tired, so hoping to not go astray...) Dinner as a small group and I just really want sleep, but don't want to not join in as it's a bonding time before a big event next month. EDITED to add that we're not gathering until close to 9 p.m. phooey.

Late night arrival home tomorrow night and will be looking forward to the weekend. Have dreaded this work trip for a while ... lots to do that I'm not super familiar with, so the dread of the "unknown" ... and of course, don't want to look like an imbecile to others ... I finally told myself last night that the time will pass at the same rate it always does; I made it through [what I consider the hardest things in my life so far] my parents' funerals last sumer, and I can emerge from anything. I think I need to work on resetting my work confidence. I feel I can tackle a great deal outside of work, but am hesitant and questioning and indecisive when faced with issues that I don't typically handle. We used to have a culture of make a decision in the best interests of everyone and if it's wrong, don't worry. That has since gone. So, a worrier worries.

Bill - I like your idea to Ani to not worry about personals to all, just a couple each day. I find myself skipping ALL because I can't put in all I want to and then become a taker and not a giver. Good perspective. I wish I had your bird knowledge because there was a bird on the Riverwalk that was the loudest bird I've ever heard, not counting a parrot. It was jarring.

Lexxiss - I would like to add that book to my reading list, but I'm afraid I'd cry through much of it - Please update us on if it feeds the emotions. I believe my pets have gone on to heaven (yes, even a hamster inherited from kids I used to watch while a college student) ha ha ... but i have friends who vehemently believe otherwise, so we just agree to disagree.

Joy - Succeeding without a written plan is a major sign of success to me! Great job! Thinking of trying any new recipes in the near future? I wanted to do one per week but that's gone kaput - now aiming for one new one every 10 days... we'll see.

OneByOne - The thought that went through my mind with your note was that, despite making smaller pieces of art and feeling that isn't as fulfilling to you, know that you might be touching many more lives with more folks enjoying and buying your smaller pieces - you're spreading joy far and wide with those.

Last edited by nationalparker; 04-20-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 149/147/130

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Completed 5 Weeks on Beck Diet..WooHoo

Hi Coaches...

It's now been 5 weeks since I joined this forum and re-started Beck. It feels good to have 5 weeks of the program under my belt and I've lost 6 pounds. Plus there’s been a definite shift in my thinking about food. The antsyness and craving i'd been feeling HAS gotten easier too. Not that craving doesn't still rear it's ugly head, but it's less frequent and less intense.

One of my advantages for practicing this program that I wrote on Day 1 is that I predicted that it would become easier to eat in a healthy way the longer I had practice with the skills. And I REALLY REALLY wanted it to be easier, because as all of you here know, it can be so hard. But 5 weeks into it, (this is my second time through Beck), I can say it IS INDEED easier. Beck is so right when she says that the greatest suffering is in the waffling and debating, should I or shouldn't I. After being on the program for 5 weeks, there's is less of that. And so less suffering.

Yesterday was an OP eating day. Even at a restaurant. I met a friend for dinner. I hemmed and hawed over the menu for a long time, waffling back and forth, and finally decided on just a bowl of chile. And I only ate about 2/3 of it. It felt good to eat moderately.

Both yesterday and today I did the usual 4.5 mile walks. Plus I completed the first week of the C25K program and today started week 2. I was able to keep up. Still footdragging on strength training... I think I'll put that on the back burner until I get back from Italy. Too much to think about right now.

Thanks, Bill for the suggestion about cutting back a little bit on personals. I'll give that some thought. And for very near future, I might not be posting much at all once we leave for Italy on Thursday.

I've been packing for two trips at once. No sooner do we get back from Italy, and it'll be time to head west on our semi-annual trek from Florida to WA state, where we spend summers.

I'm hoping everyone has a wonderful week ahead... and I'll do personals first thing tomorrow morning... But for now, I'm calling it a day.

A good day, an OP day, I'm glad to say.

Ani
Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 AM   #184  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default midnight hour

Coaches:

DH has been out watching the NHL playoffs at some bar with work buddies and I have been at home chilling out. I had a super long work day in the potters kiln room fussing with a fussy kiln that would not complete its firing cycle threatening everyone's work intended for the show and sale within it. Talk about stress. In the end it worked out but I was there an added 5 hours dealing with it. Oh well. I did get every single piece I wanted for the sale ready for the kilns to be fired. *credit*

Tomorrow I head downtown to see the Basquiat art exhibit. Exciting! Then I see a dermatologist for a consult. Less exciting! I got my replacement fitbit dongle today though so I hope to have the thing counting all my steps tomorrow. Should be a dozey.

Foodwise I ate fairly light today with a hearty serving this evening of soup that was more like heavy mush of beans and things. Yum. But now I am ready to get to bed. When I get some good pics of my pottery I'll post here.

nationalparker Thanks for your thoughts regarding my smaller pieces vs. larger ones spreading far and wide. That is true. I have stuff all over the world. Thanks for that

Bye for now.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 AM   #185  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Kindergarten Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, even though it included two of my three planned snacks. Dinner was a spicy lentil stew so my arteries were spared a second meat meal in one day (lunch was, of course, a ham sandwich). Bought a package of Cassava Bread (Yuca) for appetizers on Friday - it would be a new taste and fun to try. Should have gotten a warning from the list of ingredients: Yuca. Note that salt, oil, and yeast aren't listed. And the expiration date was 2017! Now I've looked up the web sites that point out that the uninitiated will report that it tastes like cardboard. Yes, yes it did. I tried it toasted with butter and it tasted like . . . hot buttered cardboard. I've got most of the package left and only two years to figure out how to eat it.

Two events were cancelled due to Patriot's Day. Since it isn't a national holiday there's a mixed group of cancellations. I wimped out in the cold rain and skipped my planned walk - Ouch. I thought of the runners in the Boston Marathon who did their 26 miles without complaint. My exercise was getting the Easter baskets back to the attic before death-ray stares from DW got any worse, LOL. Cleanup after fun times is always less fun.

onebyone – LOL at "heavy mush of beans and things" - that does sound yummy to me. Neat that you pulled off the firing with a balky kiln.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – May you survive the allergy season.

spanky - Thanks for the reminder about being an "inflexible eater" - Yep, sometimes reaching a goal requires specific actions.

nationalparker – Love the perspective, "time will pass at the same rate it always does." Two hours isn't much sleep - hope you get back on schedule.

Karen (karenrn) - Glad that you're getting enough better for a 90 minute walk.

Ani (dailypractice) - Kudos for progress on your C25K program. I'm getting excited about your trip to Italy.

Readers -
Quote:
day 35 Get Ready to Weigh In

Before you step on the scale in the morning, remember that whatever number it shows is just information. If you're nervous or expect that you've gained weight, reread Day 28 (pages 204-205) before you weight yourself.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 236.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #186  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

A quick hello. Today is my early day at work and taking the pups to daycare always complicates things. They are closed this time of day but I have a key to let myself in and I have to go through these interesting gates in the dark holding onto two dogs while 20 others bark at me. LOL

Pre-work, my spontaneous exercise is going to be trying to negotiate one rolling dumpster down to the street for pick up today around all of the snow.

I had a change in plan last night as I had the opportunity to go out to dinner and decided that although I could say no that I was going to go out. Dinner was at our local barbecue place which is right down the street from the restaurant where I work. And in the years that it's been open I've never gone there. And it was a nice meal, the ribs were not fatty at all and absolutely perfect, and when the lady came by later to ask if I'd like more I said no. Credit. I don't go out to eat often but when I do these days I really get the opportunity to see how my thinking around food has changed. Instead of getting myself into a food frenzy, i'm able to make better choices and truly enjoy my meal. In the old days all you can eat ribs meant bring a giant pile and I will eat as fast as I can to consume as much as I can in the shortest time possible. Last night I was able to take each precious rib and slowly and mindfully try each of the sizes determining which one I like best. I did get to observe the two young guys at the next table enjoying the frenzy for me. Even the owner commented on just how much they were able to pack down. Lol

Today is simple. I just go back to yesterday's plan.

Emotionally, I'm hanging in there. I do recognize how continuing to eat healthy will positively impact how I feel. I've made a change in my smoothie. I'm so used to making too and I also need extra time in the morning with my pops so I'm making two smoothies at a time. It's great, my smoothie is already for me this morning.

BBE, worms like cardboard. LOL. Actually, worms love cardboard. My suggestion would be to free your pantry space immediately for something a little more palatable, especially to make sure that you don't accidentally serve this to your guests. LOL
Old 04-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #187  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Yucky yesterday. Clear liquid diet and prep. Medication for a standard procedure today. Out of sorts in that I did little but watch old dvds. I always have a fear of fast or sick days because the scale seems to do a double rebound shortly. I guess I can say I am truly hungry this morning. Credit for noting the feeling, paying attention to physical symptoms and tolerating it - Beck's hunger experiment as by-product.

It feels two days lost, though, even if it is not for nothing.

Oh well. I will not lapse into absolute crankiness. I will enjoy the time quiet and allow myself the mystery. Such a different world Christie paints - post world war II. The world was never the same. Few in my generation or younger here in America can conceive of rationing, fascism, monumental loss. I studied history and still I can't imagine. I watch House Hunters International and laugh. People buying houses in places like South America, Poland, etc. . .saying what a good deal they are. All I think is the waves of radical governments who quickly nationalize such investments giving their owners 24 hours to leave if that. OK now I know I am sleep deprived and hungry to be so off topic.

Best to all.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #188  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Sheesh! I work in a lab and it's National Lab Week which means special treats brought in every day in huge amounts. Monday was 40 stuffed crust pizzas. Today was a Cheesecake Bar, for crying out loud!

Fortunately, I've packed well-rounded lunches and for some reason have not been tempted. So far. Thought I'd better drop in here for some bolstering up of my resolve. There are three more days of this, jampacked with special treats.

We heard our offer for the funeral home we want to buy was rejected. Turns out a chain corporation offered the owner cash and scooped both of us regular buyers. Another Mon-n-Pop funeral home goes corporate. Sigh. We will keep trying, but it's discouraging.

Because of the challenges this week, I've got my menu planned down to the teaspoon so I can cling to it amidst the waves of hot buttered, sugared carbs coming at me!

Best to all!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #189  

Height: 5' 2"

Planning each meal before the day begins DOES work, doesn't it!!!

It is those times when I am unprepared that I run into the greatest difficulty.
Someone said that the problems arise when she is debating to do or not to do, and several evenings in the past few weeks have had too many of those times.
DH insists on keeping treats in the cabinet near the TV - I can see that cabinet and it haunts me.

NationalParker: Your hellish week sounds absolutely awful. All those things you are troubled with would be awful for me, too. Thank God I am retired and the problems I face are so different now. I must appreciate those differences.

Ani: Safe travels to Italy, and I wish I could be your eyes for some of the things once you are there. I'm dreadfully afraid to fly and that limits some exploring I may consider.

Karen: Good to hear that your arm is gradually healing. Does keeping the arm limited inhibit your waking pace? I can't imagine not swinging my arms when walking.

Intense gardening has helped me get into and wear comfortably a favorige pair of jeans for the first time since last fall. Scale isn't moving but something is happening that I like.

Check: Nighttime snackin preveted last two nights.
Check: Meals reasonable again today.

Birthday party for 2 year old DGGS was such fun for the family. He was so wise, he would open a present and play with it contented for a while before wandering over to another bag with a toy in it.

The way he carefully examined each car or truck, checked out the wheels carefully, and even discovered a latch causing side to drop down on a big wheeler shows we may have a forth generation of Engineer for the future.
Bill: take note.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I just want to check in quickly as I'm back from vacation. Spent all day dealing with work e-mail and need to do a work schedule in the 45 minutes left in my workday.

1) I had great fun. I am sunbaked, rum-soaked, well-fed, and in love with the island of Roatan.

2) I didn't stick to my plan anywhere near as well as I could have, but I didn't go completely crazy, either. I'm bloated from carb intake (something I usually limit) but my pants still fit. Half of those calories were probably alcohol. Not the mixers, mind you, but actually the alcohol. I drank that much. I don't know when I'm going to want to drink again but right now I'm totally off the very idea of it.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #191  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Mental state is better as the event is over and was a success. I worried easy to much on this, but do not like the unexpected at work. Feel that it reflects in me not being organized it knowledgeable.

Food today was ok. Choose naked burrito bowl at airport tonight... other meal was a hearty sandwich in early afternoon. So not too low calorie but the ingredients were healthy.

Back at work tomorrow and not sure i have anything for lunch...so it might be a meal out that i can fit in my day...small turkey sub or the like. Need to plan it out.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #192  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - Earth Day - Administrative Professional's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Back to wearing a jacket for my walk, CREDIT moi. DW insists that the temps in April are always back-and-forth, but I'm ready for consistent warm. During the last 50 yards, I fell in with a neighbor in his 80's and got reminded that there's an age where walking not only isn't aerobic, but a struggle. I did learn from him that there are cruises where "real" caviar appears whenever one asks - a bit higher end than my style.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, with the urge for an afternoon snack settling around me in need of being ignored for a spell. The cells of my body are calling for blueberry season to arrive. And peach season.

Treat was the delivery of The Diet Trap Solution by Dr. Judith S. Beck & Deborah Beck Busis (the Blue Book). Quick read finds that it divides the problem space into eight "Traps" with "Escape Plans." Looks like a fresh perspective of familiar material while keeping "Sabotaging Thoughts" and other concepts to which I'm accustomed. Looking forward to a methodical read.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Turning down more BBQ ribs is super worthy of Kudos. It's a big deal to get to a place in life where food can be enjoyed in reasonable quantities even when FREE or all-you-can-eat. Continued supportive thoughts for the dynamics raging around you. [DW also suggested that the worms would enjoy the Cassava bread - fearing that I intend to keep it until it expires in 2017.]

maryann - Kudos for being optimistic enough to see "Beck's hunger experiment as by-product." It is a gift to know that hunger will end at a specific time in the near future.

spanky - LOL at "menu planned down to the teaspoon" - you'd think that folks smart enough to run a lab would sneak in a bowl of carrots and cukes beside the hot buttered, sugared carbs.

nationalparker – Yay for a successful event with Kudos for rational eating despite the tension.

love2garden - Kudos for a planned day. Love the story of your 2 year old DGGS enjoying one present at a time.

Violette_R - Easy to see how one would fall in love with Roatan - adding it to my Bucket List. Kudos for returning in pants that fit.

Readers -
Quote:
day 35 Get Ready to Weigh In

After you weigh yourself, calculate the change in your weight, place a dot on the weight-loss graph, and connect the dots. Contact your diet coach to tell him or her how much your weight changed. If you've lost a half pound or more, great! If you haven't, don't get discouraged. Just remember to review your eating plan with your diet coach if it turns out that you've stayed the same weight or gained weight for two weeks in a row.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 236.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #193  
Green Tomatoes

I got my copy of The Diet Trap Solution yesterday, too. I really like the metaphor of "trap" and "escape plan." I'm hopeful that this is really going to make a difference for me.

But, not today. Today I have a big, but secretive event. I might be able to tell you about it tomorrow (it's not my secret). Off to get ready!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #194  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Made it! Past the Cheesecake Bar and OP for the day yesterday. Today I can stay in my own lab across the city, far from the festivities and get past the Ice Cream Sundae Bar. Nope, lab people are no more savvy than the rest of us when it comes to Celebrating = Big Calories.

I also took delivery of The Diet Trap Solution last evening. It will help to have another round of reinforcement for the skills I'm trying to master. Looking forward to the read.

Today the Advantage I'm keeping on the front page of my brain is : I want to look at my midsection and see the fat roll gone, once and for all.

I have a plan for the day and am still doing my "Stealth Exercises" daily. Once I've gone a whole month, I'll mention what they are here. Have to sneak up on it!

Last edited by spanky; 04-22-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #195  

Morning everyone
Still sick with a cold...reading here
Closed Thread