Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #31  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I am wanting my BODY not just my MIND to give me credit somehow for the foods I'm passing up. Coworker brought in loads of spicy chicken biscuits this morning (not sure why) ... so passed on that, chocolate, and hmmm... well, it certainly seemed like a lot more than that. That's pretty weak when I think about it. I thought it was temptation at every turn. It's all perception, huh?

DH is now working nights for the next four nights so dinners will either be much easier for me or much harder. So far, I started with a big honkin' salad with half of a granny smith apple, some craisins and a tsp of slivered almonds and homemade vinaigrette.

A coworker has a sick baby and I was thinking about what i could make and bring in for her to reheat for their dinner tomorrow night (she has two other little kids and her hubby won't be back in town until tomorrow) ... unfortunately our fridge is slim pickins. I keep thinking, oh, lasagna (no parm), oh, quiche (mine are always rubbery). Got sidetracked there for about a half hour, googling how to not make a rubbery quiche and discovered that I'm not really making real quiche - it was a recipe from a family member who cooks healthy and I liked it and adopted it. Apparently without milk/cream, it's not a quiche. Hm. Mine typically just has egg beaters and a couple of eggs. Maybe that's why it's so rubbery! Might just try making two this evening - one for her and one for us. I have onions and peppers I'll put in there.

Sorry for rambling so much. Bill - how much longer until your trip? Every time you mention it, I get so excited for you. I could LIVE in Florence. I hope when you go, you sample what you want, enjoy the wonderful foods that are special there, and savor it all. No rules. Life's short. DH said we'll go next year. We'll see. I certainly won't let it slip his mind.

Joy - I forgot about the spring forward - thank you for the reminder! Now to try to remember if I have more daylight at night or in the mornings. I feel I'm fairly smart but can NEVER remember this.

Was so frustrated to realize that last year's goal was to fit into a certain white skirt by summer and that will have to be my goal again for this summer. Last year it was loose on the waist... now it won't zip.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

Haven't posted in a long time but I am back have been on the FAA food plan since October but various off-plan eating along the way. Yesterday I asked someone new to be my sponsor (coach) and she has given me a much larger range of on-program foods - I am so happy! Credit me for sticking to my plan no flour or sugar and no unplanned eating for 4 days in a row!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #33  

Hi do you mind if I join you. I've read most of The beck solution training your brain to think like a thin person. Been following it for a month and feeling like I'm sliding backwards so I thought I would come here for support.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome p.a.

p.a.

And, despite your 13 years here and 1200+ posts, just to be sure,

How did you happen upon the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you wander into our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Managed two walks, CREDIT moi. The second picked up two errands but forgot the third. Oh, Well; I'll get that done today. I'm trying to concentrate on getting more stretches of aerobic walking and less ambling.

Eating was, again, 100% on plan, CREDIT moi, including snacks. I feel sorry for the almond growers of California when I'm on track with my snacks since I'm sure they feel the loss of sales, LOL. Since my recent burst of a handful of 100% days, I've avoided sardines for lunch. Seems that not only do I like the fish, I also like my concept of a serving of corn chips that go with it. I've got to do some careful thinking and counting before I get back to those guys.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Planning for time change seems to make sense just like planning for jet lag.

nationalparker – Had to google Spicy Chicken Biscuit - Super Kudos for turning those down. I want one. [We leave for Italy in about two months; I'm psyched.]

millie56 - Kudos for getting a real-life Coach as well as Kudos for a stretch of four on-plan days. Minimizing sugar is good for my brain as well as my body.

p.a. - Yep, this forum is a great way to get support. We serve as each other's Diet Coach/Buddy. It's great to have an experienced 3FC regular. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

what are you thinking?
Vacations are ripe for sabotaging thoughts. Prepare for them now, so you can convincingly respond to them in the moment.

Sabotaging Thought: Oh, no, I won't have control over food while I'm on vacation. What if I gain a lot of weight?
Helpful Response: I've developed my vacation diet strategy. I'll get my diet notebook right now and read the plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 225.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM   #36  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good day, all. I cannot even begin to describe my frustration and irritation and anger at myself as I put my ticker where it stood this morning. This is NINE POUNDS UP from where I was last summer. It was motivating to me then to see that I had less weight left to lose than I had lost. Now - pfft. I got on the scale this morning and quickly hopped off and got on again, certain that something else had affected the number - heavy air/heavy guilt/heavy mood. Turns out I'm just much heavier.

I have had soup three days for meals and one meal of chinese, but I can't blame that for more than a pound or two. Of course, as I'm typing this I'm eating a strip of sixlets (8 choc minis like m&ms but round) for 30 calories. And NOT savoring them, but just plodding through them.

Welcome, p.a.! I look forward to your posts and insights, suggestions and challenges. I'm gleaning a lot from this forum, but question my commitment to following through on stuff now. I need to kick it back in gear.

Bill - While sardines will never pass my lips, enough almonds do. I feel a bit guilty buying the 100 cal bags of them, but that's enabled me to include them when in a hurry packing up meals, so I have the portion control. It's the one "100-cal" packaging I'll buy, as the non-nut packages aren't things I'd eat regularly anyway.

Took my pedometer on the ship and the one day that we'd walked all over just because we were exploring and lots of walking to get there, etc., I checked the readout that evening - nothing. It'd cleared out all memory completely and registered nothing - no data from previous days (don't need that but it was just a bit strange).

Today's goals: enough liquids and no more snacks. Changed my breakfast up to a scramble with egg beaters and peppers, onions, a bit of turkey sausage, etc.

Ten pounds. Wowser.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #37  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post If I'm not moving forward I am ____

Coaches

I have got to make some no-wiggle-room decisions re: food plan and exercise.
Somehow I have allowed things to get fuzzy again. My inner saboteur loves that. Loves the status quo. I saw 282.9 yesterday morning. I just couldn't post a word here after that. Which wasn't smart btw. This morning 281.3. I got my wish of being "out of the 70's" but on the wrong side of the matter. I work best with personal challenges, with things to strive for, with goals to reach. In short I need structure. And I need to not take that first bite of off plan food cause here I am, struggling now once more to get below 280 when I was 272 and almost below the 270 mark about 10 days ago. What is worse is my desire for ALL FOOD has been re-awakened. It is harder for me today to say no and mean it to everything off plan. Time to go back to Phase 1 of my foodplan South Beach Diet and get back into the losing weight zone. Time also to exercise. Really, my most basic challenge is to simply exercise. Not think about it or plan for it but take one of my dvd's and press play today.

PLAN FOR TODAY: no sugar YES
one snack YES
no seconds YES
raw veggie YEA
exercise NO
restaurant meal for lunch today-avoid obvious carbs YES

I'll come back tonight and see how I did re: this list.

gardenerjoy thanks for sharing about your goals to get old and be healthy while old. We had an assessment for my mom last week and while her cognitive function is continuing to decline (I notice it a lot ) the report says she is in really good health with the Dr. only commenting that. I have been left processing how the mind can go but her body will go on for a long while yet. It's what "people" talk about or say in conversation sometimes, but to experience it with my mom is something else. My mom is obese/overweight. It's hard to know what to do to avoid the dementia alzheimer's diagnosis. I am combatting it I think by having an active mind. I need to add an active body into that for further "protection". Thanks for bringing this up in your post. I am with you on this for sure.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-05-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #38  
Green Tomatoes

We had an ice event mid-morning yesterday. Messed up all kinds of things and left me unmotivated for the things that I could do. CREDIT for not eating over it.

I'm very pleased with my new habit of two small snacks or one larger one. It should be saving me a couple of hundred calories a day or more. Wish the scale was responding to the change a little more, but I'll give it some time.

WI: +0.15 in kg, Exercise: +35 190/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome, p.a., and welcome back, millie56!

nationalparker: I'm dealing with the disaster of 2014 -- 28 pounds gained. I don't even really know why. Mostly, I guess, a misunderstanding of what maintenance looked like. Anyway, right with you to get it off again! The structures that worked before are working again.

onebyone: your thoughts reminded me of one of my Response cards -- pretty much ripped straight from Beck, I think: "I'm choosing to say NO CHOICE. It's easier to follow my program than to exhaust myself over waffling. I've got this!"
Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches!
I did achieve my goal of no brownies Tuesday and no nighttime snacking, so credit for that!
Weds wasn't so good-my day off, I had coffee with someone who baked a treat for us to share, so I took one slice- just couldn't refuse it, and I know she is struggling with weight issues too so I definitely didn't want to make a big deal out of it. Then had a nice lunch with my DS who had a half day, and we had a really nice time, but ended up getting too many sweets to share and treats for dinner so I wouldn't have to cook.
I didn't feel like I was eating that much but felt stuffed at night- like others, I am bummed that I really need less to fill me up as I grow older.

Today- I will resist those ever present brownies again, I will not snack tonight after dinner, and will report success tomorrow!!

onebyone-good plan for today!
nationalparker- I commiserate with your lack of commitment. I was down 7 pounds last spring, the lowest I've been in awhile- then got complacent.
Maryann- nice job decluttering! You sound like you are really on track in so many ways, you are my inspiration!
Old 03-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Today I worked the lessons about identifying thinking errors and the seven question technique. My thinking errors seem to center around justification: I get little enjoyment out of life and being thin won't change that, so I may as well eat food the I enjoy.

I've already identified that I enjoy many things other than eating, but I'm still dealing with "being thin won't get me what I want out of life." (Just so you know, those things are love, a house, and continued career advancement.)

This statement is true. So I don't really know what to do with it. Being thin and fit will be cool, but it won't really change my life. My health is fine. My social life is pretty much non-existent, but that's not because of my weight. I need to find something to counter this thought, but "being thin and fit will be cool" isn't enough. I need something more than that.

Honestly, the only other counter I've got is "being thin and fit will deflect some of the pity I know some people see when they look at my life." That's not enough either.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Phone checkin. Did lots of things that are healthy both emotionally and physically. None of them felt good. The right thing is rarely comforting immediately. I made a remark once that the right right thing is like getting a savings bond under the Xmas tree.

Still wheat free. A pound above ticker. Hoping to make it through a huge day tomorrow so that I can relax.

Living today, not yesterday or tomorrow, is a gift. That is why it is called the present. ( I heard that once)

Last edited by maryann; 03-05-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #42  

Thanks for the welcome,,,,wow has it been 13 yrs? I started in the simply filling/core group , then skipped around a few times then left for a long while. I found the beck solution on amazon and thought I would try it. The other night I came here to check things out and found you guys.
I lose better going low carb but I find it hard to stick to. Now I'm going back to counting calories. I go to aqaufit twice a week and since I don't have a car right now lots of walking while I bus it.
I didn't pick my book up,last night like I said I would so tonite I will for sure.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #43  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Frozen Food Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had corn chips with the dahl last night - a finite number of them, CREDIT moi, to complete a 100% on-plan day. That's important because I'd slipped into the habit of serving however many chips I could consume during the duration of eating, which wan't too smart. It feels super to have a full week of on plan days under my belt. Evening snack was, one more time, half a California Navel Orange. (Having a hard time believing that President Reagan actually declared National Frozen Food Day in 1984.)

Did three walks, CREDIT moi, even though I had only planned two. Twice I constructed Sabotaging Thoughts about why a walk wasn't necessary: Can do the errand some other day; the lecture probably won't say anything I don't already know; it's cold outside. I'd like to get back to the days when I looked for excuses to go walking instead of excuses to avoid it.

onebyone – Neat insight that "allowed things to get fuzzy again" serves as an opening for unwanted behaviors.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I do like the kind of flexibility such as "two small snacks or one larger one."

maryann - Thanks for, " the right thing is like getting a savings bond under the Xmas tree" - to remind me that it doesn't always have to lead to immediate pleasure.

nationalparker – LOL at "something else had affected the number - heavy air/heavy guilt/heavy mood" - Yep, there's got to be a reason when the scale isn't being reasonable. Kudos for all that walking even if the pedometer didn't record it.

curlyjax - Congrats for raising a DS who can still have a nice time with his mom. Ouch for the sweets, but Kudos for continuing to avoid the brownies.

Violette_R - Kudos for wrestling with thinking errors. "Being cool" can be replaced with: increased inner peace; or more self-awareness.

p.a. - Kudos for thinking through what eating plan works for you. Aquafit appeals to me because the participants always look like they're having fun.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

what are you thinking?
Vacations are ripe for sabotaging thoughts. Prepare for them now, so you can convincingly respond to them in the moment. . . .

Sabotaging Thought: I've been so good. I should be able to eat whatever I want while I'm away. If I can't eat whatever I want, I won't have any fun.
Helpful Response: It's not all or nothing. I won't have to deprive myself completely. I'll still be able to eat some foods I like. I won't be giving up all pleasure of eating, and I won't be giving up all fun. Besides, when I return home, I'll be happy when I step on the scale and realize I haven't gained 5 pounds. It will be worth it.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 225.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #44  

This morning I'm reminding myself why I want to lose weight
GFTD- stay on plan
- walk at least 30 mins

Have a great Friday everyone
Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #45  
Green Tomatoes

I tried an experiment last night -- a slightly smaller serving of the saltiest, most caloric, dish in our normal supper repertoire. And, I got a nice drop on the scale as a reward! Guess I'll try that again.

WI: -0.35 kg (new low), Exercise: +50 240/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Violette_R: one of my initial advantages was "I want to accomplish an important and difficult feat" -- a more positive version of your "deflect pity" one. The motivation was much the same -- a desire to feel superior to others in some way.
I wonder if another goal, alongside the weight loss, would help you? What's the most creative project you could be doing right now that has a similar amount of fear as losing weight? Reading The War of Art by Steven Pressfield helped me and, right now, I'm doing better with both my creative project and my weight loss than I was in 2014. They feel related.
Closed Thread