Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:46 AM   #16  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Peach Blossom Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Enjoyed walking, CREDIT moi, as the standard events of life resume after the two weeks of cancellations due to our eight feet of snow. I decided that removing the single inch of snow would be useful exercise. However, a neighbor had done the small stretch of my walk so it wasn't necessary. I want my muscles to get credit for my commitment, LOL.

Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi, including no snacks of the three that my plan has scheduled. When busy enough, snacks become less important.

onebyone – You are, indeed, "Persist in Victory." Kudos for getting back in the saddle.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I agree, Yay March.

CeeJay - Yep, definitely Kudos for two months of diligent efforts. Diminished craving for sugar is its own reward.

maryann - It's like a theorem in mathematics: There is no amount of exercise we can do for which we can't criticise ourselves for not having done more.

nationalparker – Such a useful insight, "I'm afraid of making too many goals and missing them" - I tend to add Solve world hunger to a to-do list that's grown beyond reasonable to remind myself that I'm finite.

love2garden - Finding a "tiny" chocolate bar that gives you the pleasure of dark chocolate is superb.

Violette_R - You take FULL credit for being on track for two days - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

During the Trip Home

Tell yourself, When I get on the scale, I might be heavier . . . That's okay. I planned to gain a little weight . . . As soon as I get home, I'll have more control over my food and my environment, and I'll lose it again. Make your trip home your symbolic transition from vacation eating to dieting.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 225.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 84.5/79.2/75 KG

Default I'm still here!

Hi coaches and buddies,

I'm still here and on the wagon. In fact, I've lost a bunch of pounds since the last time I was here. Live is very hectic and I'm not getting the time to read the Beck Diet solution. But, I'm watching what I eat and using the response cards I've prepared so far to keep myself on track.

Hope to be here back soon.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #18  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up moving

Coaches

Credit for weighing=279 (-1lb) from yesterday. My better eating day yesterday is reflected in a better scale number. Credit for planning my food today as most of the day will be spent away from home. I will be in the ceramic studio where I plan to make a bunch of jewellery components. At last night's guild meeting we were reminded of our upcoming Spring Sale the first weekend of May. There are about 6 weeks to make work for that. That's not that long for the ceramic process which requires many stages. These first two weeks I need to do an especially big push. Big pushes though are good as they keep me active and busy and out of the food. Great.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches/Buddies.

I am getting back in the swing of things. I've been working my plan to about 85% on target for 2 weeks now. I'm trying to not focus on having to be at this weight again, but apparently, I have not learned what I am supposed to from this part of my journey.

I found myself playing Spider Solitaire for many hours yesterday, thinking through a lot of random memories, some painful thoughts, and some actions I need to take. I try to avoid this time-waster, but I think not having food to numb with causes me to seek out something like this instead. Does any one else experience that?

Credit for:
- Spontaneous exercise via housework last night
- Weighing
- Participating in forum
- Eating an on plan breakfast
- Eating an on plan dinner
- Making today's lunch last night
- Woke up on time to hit the gym, but we are covered in ice on the roads, so I will do an at home workout later in the day.

BBE: Glad you were continued to be on plan!
Knottygal: Hi! Great job keeping on track.
One by One: Great job focusing on activities instead of food.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #20  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for two one-snack days in a row. Neither were particularly small snacks, but that never used to stop me from having two snacks. Now, it does. Yay!

WI: +0.1 in kg, Exercise: +40 105/1300 minutes for March, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #21  
Green Tomatoes

FutureFitChick: I've been off Spider Solitaire for months, but started again recently. I'm playing the Intermediate version, at the moment, which makes the game go faster. I usually use it as a transition between tasks, so faster is good. There are times when the only way I can cope is to prioritize my vices. Anything, including computer games and Facebook, is better than overeating.

When you're ready to move on to whatever's next, you might try the books by Steven Pressfield. Several of us here have read The War of Art helpful. I'm currently reading Turning Pro, which takes it all to another level.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-03-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #22  

Height: 5' 2"

FutureFitChick the name you chose is a positive image. Spider Solitaire had me going for way too long last night, but DH's tv choices were not worth watching and I wanted to be in the room with him.

Gardenerjoy I play with 4 decks, and save it for those times I need to sit, but agree it has helped me stop evening munching. Sticky hands can't touch the games, after all.

Bill Can't imagine having to walk in streets with snow banks on each side and cars also using those streets. Saw in today's paper pictures of the "place holders" some in your area have put out to mark the shoveled parking areas they hope to hold for their own needs.

National Parker take care of yourself. May you and your husband work together to decrease in size this spring. We are also trying to do the same.

OneByOne You did it! Below the number now.

Last night's snack was late, but on plan, CREDIT.
CREDIT: Breakfast eaten much slower than usual, and on plan.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches-
I am posting at work where I have been eating leftover frozen brownies almost every day - if you nuke them they turn soft and warm, ooh so good! But I overdid it yesterday and felt disgusted with myself. So today I am posting while I drink my afternoon coffee, the dangerous time, and I am not eating any now!!
Other folks have been so brave to post when they have eaten things they wished they hadn't, so I will too. And I ate way too much for a pre bedtime snack when I was hungry. So I will report tomorrow that I abstained tonight, by golly!

love2garden- I love those Kashi granola bars too! they really are a good alternative to many other kinds. That's great that your husband shares the cooking!
onebyone-i know what you mean about loosening the reins once you have a little success, I do that all the time and that's part of the reason I have to keep restarting!
nationalparker- your trip sounds great, glad you had a nice time!

Welcome to newbies and waving to all-
Old 03-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Love2Garden: I was over 200 pounds during my late teens/early twenties. I lost about twenty five pounds just by quitting alcohol and beginning to exercise. I was back over 200 with my son. I was 173 and sick of still having more to lose by the time I came to Beck.

BBE: I agree with your theorum.

Hello, Knotty gal.

onebyone: i agree that sometimes active can make me forget food.

FutureChick: When I am not overeating I definitely have to reduce stimulus. i can't do things that are too hard or be with people that are not safe. I agree with gardenerjoy, any mindless activity is better than overeating.

curlyjax: I was a garbage eater. You know the type - throw the food away in the garbage than dig it out. I solved that by putting dish soap on food going into the trash. It is what it is.

As so many have shared in the passed, decluttering is closely tied success on combatting the secrecy and confusion of compulsive overeating. When I clean, organize, and make my home sane, I feel much less driven to hide behind food. Don't really know why but it is true for me. Spent 3 wandering, wonderful hours cleaning with a toothbrush the grates in my fridge, donating cooking pans I never use because they are so dark they burn my bake goods, donating more clothes that I felt were a little shabby last time I tried them on, etc. . . Yeah! for our team.

I also continue to work on my 2015 goal of saving six months of expenses. I currently have a solid four months. All the cleaning, using up my old stock with menu planning and stocking up with new basics so I always have pantry meals always means I have no excuse for fast food. This is a huge budget saver and, of course, helps with weight loss.

Weight is a pound above ticker so the King's game extravaganza did not have dire effects. Walk and yoga yesterday.

On the whole, the day is sunny and I feel positive.

Last edited by maryann; 03-03-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Today I did Day 26: Identifying Sabotaging Thoughts. I wrote down two right off the bat.

1) "But eating is the only pleasure I get out of life." Which isn't true. My life is actually centered around many simple pleasures because I know those are the only things worth living for. Petting my cats, hiking, a good book, great music, a raging storm/balmy breeze/warm sunbeam, a great yoga session, and working cross stitch in front of an entertaining TV show. This are all things I love that don't make me fat.

2) "Being thin won't get me what I want most out of life, so why bother?" That's true. So I'm going to have to think that one over.

Last edited by Violette_R; 03-03-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm right on the cusp of fitting back into a size 8 and need a swimsuit for my cruise next month. So I ordered it in a size 8 - a pricey one, too. Now I darn well better stay on plan. It was a practical move - a size 10 at this point would be bigger than an 8 would be small. I didn't order down just to motivate myself. But it's sure not hurting.

(Based on previous weight/dress size correlations, I'm only about 3 pounds away and the cruise leaves April 10. It's a realistic goal.)
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #27  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Well, phooey - I wrote up a post and never submitted and shut down at the end of the workday ... so another brief one here before we settle in to watch a Redbox movie this evening - Whiplash, I think. DH picked up chinese and my fave meal - the only one I choose from there - is loaded with diced carrots and celery and the chicken isn't fried, just sauteed... so I'm good but suspect, again, that the scale will be up with sodium but at least I can connect those dots.

Joy - you got me thinking about an exercise goal again - I used to do that. I haven't in AGES. I liked it when I had a treadmill. Now, having sold it because my knee couldn't take the pounding ... I need to rethink what I can do in the months before it's light out late and when the trail is icy.

Snow coming in again tonight. Every night, I swear they warn about hazardous commute in the morning ... or treacherous roads for your drive in, etc. If you know it NOW, treat it NOW. (says the one who doesn't understand why the roads are so slick all the dang time).
Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #28  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up 70%

Coaches

I give myself a 70% for the day which is passable. (Is that a B or a C, maybe a C+, I wonder??) A few off plan items passed my lips but on the whole better and getting better still.

Tomorrow I think I'll stay in and work on some ceramic stuff I brought home with me and declutter another small area of the living room. By the end of the week I want the living room to be visually declutttered. As I write this, the chaise lounge, which I decluttered yesterday, remains free and clear. *credit moi*

We had another weather warning: freezing rain and snow mix this time. the roads were awful coming back from the ceramic studio with my friend. Better when DH was driving home.

I signed up for the advanced version of the writing workshop I took in the fall. It starts this Thursday. I'm happy I did that. I live a wonderful life. Very grateful.

Good night!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 AM   #29  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, stopping along the way at a book store for browsing and the pharmacy for an errand. I paused at their FREE blood pressure machine for a reading - just to demonstrate to myself that walking didn't make me an ambulance case. Oh yes, I just happened to buy yet-another Guide to Rome in the discount bin because it wasn't for the standard tourist but for that special breed who wanted to see Rome as the locals see it. It annoys me that I'm so easily snookered but it gives me pleasure to hand money to a brick-and-mortar bookstore. My exercise would be more aerobic if I bought a pair of blinders so that I wouldn't dawdle at every siren's call. (Here's where you learn that they're also called blinkers or winkers.)

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi, including only the evening snack of half an orange. I'd prefer a whole orange, but DW only wants half and I'm not smart enough to figure out how to serve 1.5 oranges. I suppose half an orange could be left in the fridge until the next evening; I don't know why that seems unnatural. DW served tilapia for dinner, which I love and she despises because it has no taste. She added aioli to make it palatable to her which she assured me cancelled any caloric benefit of eating fish.

onebyone – Yay for big pushes to drive focus away from food. Joyful to read, "I live a wonderful life."

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for one-snack days - that encourages me to believe that I can do the same.

FutureFitChick – Kudos for two weeks at 85% on target. I, too, find it easier to think if I'm doing something mindless.

maryann - Super Kudos for discarding things just because you'll never use then again - two unrelated notions in my brain.

nationalparker – Congrats for having a favorite meal that "is loaded with diced carrots and celery and the chicken isn't fried." Good luck driving on treacherous roads today.

curlyjax - Kudos for abstaining from that bedtime snack. I'm encouraged by all the reports today from folks wresting with the snacking issue.

love2garden - Yep, Kudos for an on-plan snack - from someone wrestling with that right now. [Few things in life are more sensitive around here than the notion of "owning" a space after digging it out. It's the trash collectors who've been given the job of tossing the 'space savers' - a life threatening act.]

Violette_R - Congrats for the courage to buy the smaller size swimsuit with faith in your next week's progress. Kudos for recognizing the pleasures of life.

knottygal - "[S]till here and on the wagon" is worthy of Kudos. Neat that your Response Cards are still working.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

During the Trip Home

Plan what you're going to eat for the rest of the day as well as tomorrow. Many dieters try to quickly undo their weight gain by overly restricting their eating when they return. Avoid this temptation because it will put you at risk for overeating within a few days. Make sure to reestablish your helpful eating behaviors, such as eating everything slowly and while sitting down, planning your meals in writing the night before, and monitoring everything you eat. Also, call your diet coach as soon as you get home.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 225.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #30  
Green Tomatoes

I found a note in my Tickler that reminds me that the Spring Forward time change (this weekend) is a struggle for me. It's easier if I exercise a lot and get to bed early in the week before, so I'm working on that this week.

WI: -0.3 in kg, Exercise: +50 155/1300 minutes for March, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

VioletteR: My response to "Being thin won't get me what I want most out of life, so why bother?" is that I may get to have those things longer. One of my Advantages is "I want my health span to match my life span." That comes from watching how much my mother-in-law suffers with problems caused by obesity in old age. Another is "I want to live longer than my parents." Both of my parents died in their 60s from obesity-related diseases. The youngest any of my grandparents died was 79. So, longevity and health into old age are huge motivators for me.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 03-04-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Closed Thread