Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #181  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Dinner was a potluck. CREDIT moi for eating vegetarian which I think helps to keep the calories down. The person who usually brings brownies with dark chocolate melted over them didn't come this time. That helped, LOL.

Walked, CREDIT moi, to my morning event over sidewalks where snow melt had frozen over. Treacherous, but I defeated attempts by the ice to bring me down. The inch of snow - a 'dusting' - was easy to remove.

onebyone – Yep, our reptilian brains have a small success and immediately think that it's time to eat to celebrate. Kudos for seeing what's going on so you can adjust.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Gonna steal this one next time I feel 'hunger:' "I feel lighter!"

maryann - Drooling, ABSOLUTELY drooling, over the thought of licking the beater from brownies. That's so my childhood. Kudos for 7000 steps and for bringing some kids along.

Violette_R - But you're still posting - so you're still in the game and will find the way back to your path.

Amy37 - The Beck strategies have been the answer for a bunch of us; I hope that they're the answer for you, also. Are you currently reading Beck on Kindle?

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

How Not to Gain Too Much
These are some solutions dieters I've counseled use to help prevent gaining too much weight while they're away from home: . . .

Carry food with you. If you have a long trip ahead of you, consider bringing along some favorite foods permitted on your diet plan. While in transit, be careful not to eat out of boredom. Also beware of eating more meals than you had planned, due to time changes. Some dieters I work with ask their hotel in advance for a mini refrigerator (or they ask the management to remove the alcohol that is already in the minibar). When they arrive at their destination, they find a grocery store and buy some food and drinks especially for planned snacks.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM   #182  
Green Tomatoes

We tried a new place for carry-outs last night. Too much money, too much salt, and (probably) too many calories. Plus, what we make at home tastes better. I keep trying for easier options, but they just don't seem to be available.

WI: +0.5 kg, Exercise: +60 1005/1200 minutes for February, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #183  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Trudging along and doing remarkably well, considering all the continuing drama. I'm really making an extra effort to keep up on everything business/household, because I know that my food choices are far better when I do so. I weigh every day and the scale is cooperative, as far as maintenance goes. As far as I've come, I'm extremely happy with maintenance. Credit.
We've finally had a cold/snow spell come our way so I took advantage of the accumulation and shoveled this morning for a little spontaneous exercise. It's a beautiful sunny day here but I'll take advantage of the cold and work inside today.

BBE, nice when the brownies don't show at their usual event. Lol. Sending "be careful on the ice" vibes reminding myself, always to be careful when walking down my stairs.

Gardenerjoy, yay for persistence and mindfulness leading to a ticker change!

Onebyone, yes, don't get stuck there, acknowledge, and move forward! Kudos for a great weigh in!

Maryann, kudos for not tasting while baking on a fasting day!

Violett_R, some days/weeks are harder than others. Like gardenerjoy suggested...keep posting, keep reading and write a food plan. It really helps!

Amy37, welcome!

Lovetogarden, my diet plan (South Beach) doesn’t require measuring but there are certain items that I always measure….rice/pastas/nuts/ice cream. I also test myself from time to time and see how close I come to a cup or 1/2 cup. I'm getting better.

Nuxmaga, yay for many successes on the home front...taxes, not purchasing snacks and getting back to sketching. Credit!

Curlyjax, yay for winter walking and kudos for avoiding work treats!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #184  

S/C/G: 179/179/130

BillBlueEyes: I don't think that Beck is available on Kindle until April, but I do plan on buying that also. It's a little cumbersome to carry the actual book around with me, but that's what I'm doing for now.

Day 1 Advantages:
1) I will regain my confidence and raise my self-esteem.
2) No more annoying fat rolls that bug me when I sit down.
3) I will be able to wear anything in my closet!
4) I will be able to better keep up with my daughter.

Day 2: Pick 2 Diets

I already did this, but already made a change. My back up diet will be the NoS Diet. My current diet is bite counting. I was going to try calorie counting again, but it was bringing up HUGE rebellion issues, so I backed off on that. At least with bite counting, my portions will stay relatively consistent, and my stomach will learn to get full on less food. I'm aiming for 12 bites, 3 times a day, which will roughly put me between 1260-1800 calories depending on what I eat. When I've figured out my calories per bite in the past, it usually falls into the range of 35-50 calories. (My food is quite calorie dense!)

I also set up my interval timer on my phone to buzz every minute and 15 seconds for my 12 bites. This will help me to eat slower since I'm so used to inhaling my food! After I ate my breakfast this morning (egg bake and cheesy hashbrowns), I said to myself "I am so glad that I didn't overeat!" I would normally say "I don't think I ate enough, now I'll probably be hungry in an hour and lunch is so far away. I better get more to eat just in case I need it."

I just wrote a novel here, sorry!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #185  

Height: 5' 2"

OnebyOne I agree that even tho I ate cookies yesterday (after a huge battle that I lost) I imediatly got back on track.

MaryAnn loved to hear about the student excitement about graduating from your reading program. Reading is so important, and how good that must feel to be able to help those that really need it.

Our 3 daughters loved to read and still do. I tried to help our son, he gets by but doesn't enjoy it. Wish i knew how to help him then.

The library let me check out the green Beck book still another time because there are no call for it to be reserved. I shall also begin again.

Lent is a great time to develop self-discipline. I keep telling myself.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 AM   #186  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
OnebyOne I agree that even tho I ate cookies yesterday (after a huge battle that I lost) I imediatly got back on track.

MaryAnn loved to hear about the student excitement about graduating from your reading program. Reading is so important, and how good that must feel to be able to help those that really need it.

Our 3 daughters loved to read and still do. I tried to help our son, he gets by but doesn't enjoy it. Wish i knew how to help him then.

The library let me check out the green Beck book still another time because there are no call for it to be reserved. I shall also begin again.

Lent is a great time to develop self-discipline. I keep telling myself.
I just bought the green book last week for 25 cents used on Amazon. I had a little credit on amazon so I really got it for free.
I have the pink book
Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #187  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb The sun also rises, as does the scale.

Coaches

Another week.
Another week of steady weight rises from my official weigh-in day.
It's good those scale readings are just "information". Glad I don't have to freak out and gorge myself over the numbers. Really thrilled it's all not an emergency. Equally fantastic to understand I need only get back on track 100% to turn these numbers around like I did oh, only last week.

Perhaps next week I won't want to experience a scale roller coaster? Perhaps next week I will keep it in my mind that I am aiming for my lowest ticker number-my next 5lbs goal which is 269.

What I learned today is I have *been thinking *
I don't want to be 277 anymore. I am too close to 277 still. I'm still in the 270's.

And so? Where is my focus? On the 270's. And where am I? Well, this morning I weighed in, after salty dinner, after coffee and beverages, I saw 280.4 = +7.8lbs from Official Weigh-in day on Monday morning. Now I get to feel panicky over being MORE than the 270's once again. I get to go PHEW thank goodness I am in the 270's and not the 280's when I drop down into the 270's again tomorrow. Which I will. And I get to fight back to my new low of 272 over the weekend by being extra careful and maybe MAYBE I get to see that number on Monday when it's official weigh in day. Maybe I won't. Maybe it'll be mid-week next week. Maybe by a week from this Monday I'll be lower than 272. So far, this is my pattern of behaviour. Is it successful? I suppose as I have seen 272, something I did not see all of last year. Will it get me to my ultimate goals? get me below 200? below 150? In about 4 years of going back and forth. I predict my resolve will wear out way before I reach either of those goals and I will be "back at the beginning again". Tired of that scenario. Really tired especially as I keep aging. I need to keep and stay focused and I need to, obviously, change the focus. So, I am banning the 270's. No more thinking about them. If I think about a number it will be my next goal: 269. The next five pounds. That's it. Body and Mind get it together.

Have a great day. 21 days to Spring!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #188  
Green Tomatoes

My too-salty meal flushed away in 24 hours and I'm back to the weight of two days ago. Love my home-cooked food! I get the results I want with that.

I'm scrambling here at the end of the month to meet my exercise goal, but I'm feeling determined.

WI: -0.5 kg, Exercise: +75 1080/1200 minutes for February, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Hope all is well with BillBlueEyes who is missing this morning.

Great to see you trudging along, Lexxiss! You inspire me even when you don't post because I imagine you still keeping with the program.

Amy37: Great advantages list!

love2garden: good for you for getting right back on track. My brother didn't read until 4th grade when a teacher read Little House in the Big Woods for a few minutes each day. He wanted to find out what happened next, so he borrowed my Laura Ingalls Wilder books and read them all that year. It wasn't that he couldn't read, he just hadn't found anything worth reading! As an adult, he reads all the time.
You might check out librarian lists like this one: http://childrensbooks.about.com/od/t...books_boys.htm. We use the term "reluctant readers" so that term plus the grade level will usually get you good results.

classykaren: yay for a free green book! That one worked better for me than the pink book, although I consult both.

onebyone: Love your self-talk this morning! Maybe a quick painting or drawing with 269 in flashing lights or surrounded by stars and hearts?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #189  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Weight one pound below ticker. I hope with Friday's fast and scheduled exercise class I can change my ticker downward for March.

Extra work to finish up today but insisted on not missing my step class.
Advantage cards read. Resistance muscle flexed.

Happy Friday.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #190  

S/C/G: 179/179/130

Well, yesterday was my first official day counting bites, and I almost said "screw it, I'll start tomorrow". I had a tiny blip in my day that almost derailed me, but since I am freshly motivated, I was able to talk down the sabotaging thought. I really like repeating this phrase that I read in the book: "I feel so good that I didn't overeat." And giving myself the opportunity to build my resistance muscle did feel good.

Today is day 3, sit down when eating. I typically do sit for meals, but I'm also guilty of mindless eating while cooking and grabbing things while running through the kitchen. No more mindlessness!!
Old 02-28-2015, 04:43 AM   #191  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome classykaren

classykaren

Just in case you didn't get one of these 10 years ago,

How did you discover the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our Beck forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:44 AM   #192  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Yep, I got diverted yesterday that included unexpected travel and loss of access to the Internet. I missed you guys. But life is returning to its predicted schedule. I just need to learn to use my phone for posting when I'm separated from my laptop like some of you do.

Not much exercise, but I did eat small meals that were healthy and did no unplanned snacking, CREDIT moi. Sometimes getting out of sync can be useful. DW and I will be traveling back home this morning where I'll have my Beck book to do the daily quote.

onebyone – Small goals do seem easier to focus upon. Always good to read your thinking process.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I do like trying new places and refuse to give up my optimism that 'new' will mean 'delicious.'

Debbie (Lexxiss) – When I get behind on paperwork, my whole attitude takes a hit. Kudos for keeping up.

maryann - Kudos for sticking to that step class despite the time crunch.

love2garden - Always Kudos for "I immediately got back on track." Yay for an extra library extension.

Amy37 - Thanks for sharing your advantages. I particularly note "4) I will be able to better keep up with my daughter." When I carried weight, I made many excuses for not being active with my kids. This reminder is useful to me: "I feel so good that I didn't overeat."

classykaren - I love a bargain book and super love a 25 cent super bargain. Congrats for finding that one. I initially did Beck using the Pink Book, but now use both. Glad you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel
<Daily quote will return tomorrow.>
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 224.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #193  
Green Tomatoes

I got myself to the point where I have a chance to meet my February exercise goal -- and I'm still not sure if I'll find 60 minutes in today to do it. But, I'm determined!

WI: +0.2 kg, Exercise: +60 1140/1200 minutes for February, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Trying again. Starting over with week 4 since I did such a bad job of it last week. My clothes are tighter and I'm really unhappy and discouraged.

Here's a real problem: to be attractive to men is hardly the only reason I want to lose weight. I have a whole list of reasons why I want to lose weight and to be more attractive to men isn't even on it. But something happened recently that brought to the forefront of my mind how I've never been at all desirable to men and losing weight isn't going to change that so I have a great big "Why bother?" looming in front of my face and it won't go away. I will never know love* but at least I can have yummy food. This is real barrier to losing weight.

*Please DON'T respond how everyone has a soulmate, with platitudes about never giving up, or dating advice. I'm 40 year old woman who's never had a real boyfriend despite Herculean effort to be pretty and pleasant, intense self-examination, study (yes, study), and experimentation with all kinds of demeanors, attitudes, and ways of dealing with men. Dating has been nothing but a fruitless exercise in anxiety, frustration, heartache, and exposure to disease/possible unwanted pregnancy and I've never gotten one single thing out of it. I've finally accepted what any sane person would - that it's not worth it. Platitudes about love from people who don't know and refuse to let me accept what is plain actually really anger me.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Oh, silly me. I forgot another major barrier. 1,200 calories/day is the only level at which I lose weight anymore. That's really hard to maintain day in, day out. I mean, REALLY hard. But I've experimented the last year up and down the range from 2,000 to 1,200 and 1,200 is the only place I lose. It's very frustrating, so the constant desire to eat combined with the (false) perception of little payoff is another issue I'm facing.
Closed Thread