Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #91  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick post or I'll skip it. Food today has been mostly nutritious (I had to come back and add that mostly) but more calories than my body needs. Dinner at the Greek restaurant was a nice treat and DH thoroughly enjoyed it. A coworker told me about a dessert that I just "had" to get for DH and so we ordered that and left almost half and each of us had a solid tasting of it. I ordered one to go for the coworker as a surprise in the morning. He LOVES it and I think it'll be a nice treat for him on a Friday.

Love2Garden - Hope the soreness from your fall doesn't linger too long!

Violette - My distractions are far too few. Thank you for bringing it up. Playing with the pets ... (so a good reminder for me to groom them as a distraction) ... massaging lotion into my dry winter hands and feet ... a hot bubble bath ... reading a magazine ... organizing the bazillion 'tear sheets' from magazines and printed recipes and things to do.

Bill - Hang in there. Summer is only four months and nine days away. Spring is too fickle - you'll still be getting snow then. But SUMMER, now ... aahh.

Joy - Thank you for the reminder that I'm not in this alone and just to keep on moving myself forward. I needed that. Realized some might be normal weight cycles with water.

Last edited by nationalparker; 02-12-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #92  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday the 13th

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked (at last), CREDIT moi, to include the library to return a book whose return had been snowed out for nearly a week. I arrived with a pocket full of dimes to pay my way out but found them forgiving all snow-caused late returns. Saved at least 50 cents. I did pause to watch a man using a roof rake; I don't own one and am thinking of getting one to get rid of the snow and ice leaning over the edge.

Food was OK. Moving the body helps with the desire to nibble. It's 10F outside right now, for which I'm grateful since below 0F was within the range of predictions.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Tracking on you white board is serious commitment. Glad that Theory of Everything was a good geek Valentine's Day celebration.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Mountain Lions!!! Good grief! My Boy Scout Manual didn't have a section on Mountain Lions. That would certainly catch my attention if I had a small dog. Glad to hear that there's forward movement on the family situation.

nationalparker – Was your dessert Baklava? Or one of these? I do love the flakey pastry parts, but find the honey too sweet.

love2garden - Ouch for that fall - hope healing move along rapidly. Is this what you meant by Sedum Plant? Kudos for directing your energy into house cleaning.

Violette_R - LOL that my list of distractions doesn't include any of yours. I read, sort the basement, browse useless Facebook sites, read a magazine from my probably-won't-get-to-these stack, trim fingernails, or fix something on the endless list of stuff needing to be fixed.

Readers -
Quote:
day 31 Decide about Drinking

what are you thinking?
Sabotaging thoughts are common among people attempting to cut out or cut back on alcohol. Create Response Cards to combat any you think apply to you.

Sabotaging Thought: The people I'm with will think I'm no fun if I don't drink.
Helpful Response: That may or may not be true. What's more important to me, anyway: what they think or whether I'm doing what it takes to lose weight?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 221.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #93  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

I posted yesterday, or so I thought, and when I checked back it was not there. So here goes again. Food has been within calories the past few days, credit. Wednesday I hiked 10 miles, 2000 ft elevation gain with my backpack weighing 26 pounds. I was encouraged because I can do the hike at the same speed I was doing it with no pack, credit. Yesterday I did a little more than 6 miles, 2000 ft elevation gain with no pack. I was with Hikin' Suzanne and that is a challenge enough. That gal can move and I have to remind myself it is good to be challenged. Credit for the hike. Today back to hiking with the backpack which I try to do a couple of days a week.

Tuesday I got the shingles vaccine and my insurance covered it. I was overjoyed. DH is just getting over shingles and I don't want it. I also called a friend who was coming to visit in mid March. On one of the days she is here I am doing a Rim to River to Rim Grand Canyon hike. I was worried that wouldn't set well with her, but luckily she will be here 5 days and is just fine with me being gone a bit in the middle. Her SO will be with her and they both know my husband well, so that was a relief to me. I hike plenty, but there are many more challenging hikes that are simply not safe to do alone and this is with a group.

Last night I was really wanting something sweet. I used my resistance muscle and had an orange instead, big time credit. And I'm here to tell you I lived through it and feel proud that I didn't give in.

Well, up and at em now. Time to eat breakfast and hit the trail before it gets too warm. I know that sounds crazy to some of you, but it is true.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #94  
Green Tomatoes

I ate just one snack yesterday and got another new low. I've got one snack planned for today, too, just because it suited the schedule better.

WI: -0.45 kg (new low), Exercise: +30 470/1200 minutes for February, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Violette: distractions have never worked quite as well for me as I hoped. I always feel like I'm too busy for distractions (but, somehow, I was never too busy to overeat ). A hot bath is one that does work, but it's not always practical. And, of course, if can really get into one of my busy projects, that is a good distraction -- especially creative work or planning a trip (whether or not I ever take it). Lately, I've been able to watch a show off the Tivo while sorting through endless email as a distraction, especially when I'm tired which is one of my triggers, but I'm going to have to be careful with that one because I have a history of overeating in front of the TV.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

Struggling today. I'm really irritable for some reason and it's already affected my willpower. I ate too much for lunch and now need to have a light dinner to compensate. My workplace seems much noisier than usual, especially for a Friday - I wish everyone around me would shut up and stop yapping. I put on headphones and Def Leppard and I still hear them. Made an angry gesture at a driver who blasted through a crosswalk I was in during my lunch break. (Not that gesture, just mad throwing up of hands.) My nerves are just shot and I really want some soothing food.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Weight 3 pounds above ticker as the weight from last weekend refuses to crawl off. Step class credit. Also credit for planning a combat class to fit into my schedule as well.

Doing great work on skills for stage two. 90% I would say. Still holding out for 7 100% days in a row.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:36 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

A running theme in BDS is that dieting is hard and it's not fair but you gotta suck it up, buttercup. I'm watching a crime drama where an Afghanistan vet turned cop is working the death of a child who was terribly abused and ultimately murdered. It puts into perspective the hardest thing in my life right being restraining myself from eating the ample food I have easy access to.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:17 AM   #98  
Enjoying la bella vita

Great point, Violette. Perspective.

Calories today were okay. Nutritionally, I could have made better choices. This won't work for more than a day or two here or there.

Went to see a fun theatre performance this evening ... good to enjoy it for 50% off as well.

Our Greek dinner last night was enjoyed again in leftovers tonight. I still have some left and DH said he'd finish it off tomorrow Can't complain about my $10 chicken gyro entree lasting for 2.5 meals. The dessert was Galaktabouriko ... I had to go back to the menu to look it up The one I brought for the coworker was a complete hit; he was so excited.

Tomorrow we're planning a late brunch out downtown and then a concert for DH's valentine's Day gift (Bush) tomorrow night.

Bill - I just cannot FATHOM that amount of snow. And all of it coming in one wave after another. Many, many credits for not turning to all comfort foods by now. I am sure I would have.

Karen - Whoo hoo on the hike with packweight and same time! Good news about your friend, too! My brother and his family had a great time hiking the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago, staying at Phantom Ranch, and heading back up the next morning. Met a guy from NY who asked to hike down/up with them and all went great.

Lexxiss - Your patience and ability to tackle what has to be handled is phenomenol ... how is your sister faring now?
Old 02-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #99  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Valentine's Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I am one of 150 folks trying to buy a snow rake from the local hardware store. One of the guys there took my phone number to give me a heads up. The truck is "on the way from New Hampshire" with 48 of them. It isn't like the library where there's a queue to wait one's turn. I went to the store twice on Friday after the truck was due; I'll drop by again today (despite the promised phone call for heads up). My exercise was to climb out a window onto the flat portion of my roof to break up some ice jams and toss some snow to the ground. For a lot of exertion, I did little useful work. The ice has formed in the gutters and isn't leaving readily. Oh, Well.

Food was OK. I had planned to avoid the snacks at folk dancing last night. I get a CREDIT moi for noble planning, but when we arrived, we found the dance cancelled due to a parking ban - we hadn't checked the web site just before leaving home. Oh, Well, again.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Congrats on that new low.

maryann - Combat class sounds fun. What weapons will you choose?

nationalparkerGalaktoboureko seems like a dessert that's good not to fall in love with. Theatre is double the fun when 50% off.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, Kudos indeed for having an orange to satisfy the sweet urge. And Yay for medical insurance stepping up to pay for a vaccination.

Violette_R - Neat to get the perspective that we have a good life around. Ouch for the tension while driving, but Kudos for limiting your response to a mild gesture of frustration.

Readers -
Quote:
day 31 Decide about Drinking

Once I accept the fact that I need to limit
. . . my drinking, dieting will be easier.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 221.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #100  
Green Tomatoes

I skipped a snack yesterday. But, we ended up doing our Valentine's meal last night because the weather was more conducive to grilling than it will be tonight. And that meant a cocktail. If I'd planned all that in advance, I would have skipped the 2nd snack anyway. So, I'm not counting that as one of my six days of only one snack in February.

Today, it might happen, but I'm not counting on it since I'm hungry before my normal breakfast time.

WI: +0.4 kg, Exercise: +40 510/1200 minutes for February, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Violette_R: For me, the best response to "It's not fair" is the Beck-ism that this is the way all successful dieters and maintainers eat. When I compare my life to a mythical everyone else (as in "everyone else gets to eat lunch at Hardees"), then I resent it. But if I compare my way of eating to the way people on this board eat, then things fall in line and feel more fair.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #101  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Happy Valentines Day.

Thankfully, I no longer have my own classroom so I didn't have to endure pounds of sugar yesterday. Food is in MFP for the day at it doesn't include conversation hearts. Dinner is left open. I am kidnapping my boy and DH to a surprise destination. (Small drumroll) AUTORAMA! 500 hundred hot rods at the state exposition center. This will be as interesting to me as watching paint dry but I know the boys will love it. I have been teasing them saying "We have to leave at 2:00 to make the musical matinee." And " Macy's is having a clothing sale so I'm planning on getting all of us new outfits." I have no idea what the food possibilities will be. My rules are I will eat ONCE and sit down when I do.

Weight is two pounds above ticker and I have planned a walk.

BBE: The weapons will be my cunning mind and vibrant sense of humor: No really, combat is just phantom kickboxing.

Nationalparker: I know what you mean about nutritional content of meal. When I don't eat the fruits and veggies I need, I will eventually be doomed.

gardenerjoy: It really helps when I really pay attention to how thin people eat. A slim gal I went on the retreat said, "I have oatmeal in the morning, a protein shake for lunch and then a small dinner." That is exactly how I am trying to eat. She is being successful at it. At least I know that path works.

Last edited by maryann; 02-14-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #102  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary Ann Love your way of preparing the guys for what they will be really be excited to see! You will probably get plenty of walking as the guys hurry from one auto to another then back again.

Thanks for well wishes on healing from my fall. Almost back to normal, but the gym will have to wait another day.

Tonight to fun party, great food and company! DH will enjoy the games more than I do, but the conversation is what I'll enjoy. Thank goodness the food is being served in another area, and I'll make sure to keep plenty of the plate showing when I serve myself.

Bill Don't know if Library will let me renew still again, but I hate to part with the green book of Beck's yet. Tried to buy it at BOM but most of their books are not close.

Karen Shingles shot. Did your hubby recover or is he still suffering?

NationalParker your Greek meal lasting two days was quite a feat. We finally got a good chef not to far away that fixes the best Greek Salads with the gyro lamb hot on top. Wednesday I'll make that my lunch since I'll be nearby at the Gym.

Several of us are finding the pounds are simply not dropping off. I blame February, but we still have 1/2 of the month to go, so guess I'll have to do more to counter act the scale's rebellion.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Hello coaches,

I am up to that bit where I am starting to resist the program. Where I get belligerent and think "but this is boring" or "i'm not going to do it - you can't make me", and a thousand other variations on that theme.

Credits are helping (when I push through and do them!) Strikes me as I write to you all that what I need in my kit bag is some affirmations. Some warming reassurance to myself that I am doing ok. Maybe something like "you are brave and Strong and good. You deserve to be fit and healthy and you can get there, one step at a time".

One of my New year's resolutions this year was to "work the hours I am paid for". Despite our laid back reputation Australia is a place of chronic overwork so I am pushing against the tide. I love my work and I mostly work from home so it takes a lotof self discipline, but I think that I will only achieve all the other things I want in my life if I get the balance right. Every now and then I get a glimpse of serenity from it.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 AM   #104  
Enjoying la bella vita

Brunch out was a complete "no" ... we left home around noon, to the downtown spot, which was mobbed (typically it's not as crowded as the same places in the small neighborhoods locally). So drove around FOR AN HOUR debating on where to go, looking here and there. Ended up at home, where I made breakfast at 1:30 p.m. and then did dishes. C'est la vie, no?

Weight half pound below ticker. Would like to be able to drop it by even a pound before our trip coming up next weekend.

Concert tonight was fun - DH had a really enjoyable time and was looking forward to telling the guys he worked with what I'd picked since they thought it was something more girly!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #105  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – I did make a trip to the hardware store to buy a roof rake. "Not here yet." Went later, "Here in two hours." So, back in two hours, "Sold out!" Arggggggggggggggggh! They acknowledged that telling me that I couldn't pay in advance to reserve one was a mistake. But, being out of snow rakes, the best resolution was to take my money and pick one up on Monday when the new shipment arrives. Why Monday instead of Sunday? Because they're closing on Sunday since the entire Subway/Bus system (MBTA) is shut down for today's blizzard. During the times I was in the store, I saw dozens of shovels and 50 pound bags of ice going out the door. One solution for ice dams is to throw a paper bag filled with salt up on the roof. That suggestion was a non-started with gardner DW since salt on the roof would become salt in the garden - Duh!. Life moves on.

Exercise was my life-first Tai Chi class, CREDIT moi. Interesting movement. In videos from China, Tai Chi is done by folks of all ages. In this class there was only one person without gray hair. And zero asians. To celebrate Valentine's Day, DW and I walked both ways in the falling snow, CREDIT moi, to the house of friends for a simple dinner. I ate well enough, CREDIT moi. I can get distracted by groups. (We did not attend the opening day of 50 Shades of Grey nor did I buy DW handcuffs - just call us old fashioned.)

Joy (gardenerjoy)"It's not fair" for you to write of grilling when I can't even see my patio. Why is Saint Louis exempt from all this?

maryann - Can't wait to hear about AUTORAMA. Neat plan, "I will eat ONCE and sit down when I do."

nationalparker – LOL at homemade breakfast after an hour of looking for a restaurant. Good to hear that so many folks are out celebrating being in love. The Mayor of Boston has declared the coming week as Valentine's Week to encourage the populace to patronize the restaurants and stores who've lost so much business due to the snow.

ForMyGirls - Kudos for recognizing that you must find your balance between work and life for serenity. Love your Sabotaging Thoughts, especially, "you can't make me."

love2garden - Yay for a party where you won't have to face the food all evening. [What is "BOM"?]

Readers -
Quote:
day 32 Prepare for Travel

Many dieters tell me that they feel anxious about gaining weight while on a trip. Teresa, for example, had been following a diet for several months and had lost a considerable amount of weight when the time came for her annual trip to the beach with her immediate and extended family. In past years, Teresa had gained an average of 4 to 5 pounds every time she went on vacation. She asked me, "How can I possible follow my diet when I won't be in charge of the kitchen and when I'll be eating out a lot?"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 223.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-16-2015 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Gray => Grey in the name of the movie.
Closed Thread