Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #226  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

CREDIT for completing seven 100% days of Stage 1 Success Skills Sheets! I celebrated by eating breakfast before writing my plan this morning. Yep, living dangerously. Of course, I ate the exact same thing I ate for breakfast the last seven days, so not going too far out on a limb here.

CREDIT for printing more Success Skills Sheets because this is working for me -- although, I'm giving myself permission to be happy with 80% and 90% days, now. CREDIT for writing a food plan for the rest of my day. CREDIT for planning other aspects of my day, even though the morning went rather merrily without a plan. By the end of the day, I'll wish that I'd done some things that aren't likely to happen without a plan.

The seven 100% days goal was my prerequisite for moving on to Stage 2 in the green book. But, I'm still not quite ready. So, I'm giving myself permission to give myself another week to get some other things working well in my life. Stage 1 is working for me, so I'll keep on with that.

WI: NC in kg, Exercise: +40 975/1200 minutes for January, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

ForMyGirls: oh, I can use that quote, too -- thanks! "Motivation follows action."
Old 01-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #227  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Just a quick check in before I hit the shower. No hike yesterday after greeter duty cause it was just too darn windy. Ended up seeing a movie in the afternoon, "Cake", very sad and depressing, but I actually thought Jennifer Aniston was very good. I went to Saturday night church since husband was golfing and I was going to pass by just as it started.

That freed me up this morning to get a good hike in. Just got back from 10.4 miles with almost 2100 feet elevation gain and carrying an 18 pound pack. I felt great, so am very happy about that. Of course I need to be able to carry about twice that with twice the elevation gain and also being at high elevation to start with. But I felt good cause I've got 6 months to get there.

Food on plan and within calories, printed success sheets and read them and cards. Now I need to fill in the SS and work on weighing daily, or not. I am like you Nationalparker if I think it's going to do more harm than good I don't get on the scale that day.

ForMyGirls You were right, I couldn't see where you mentioned the Overland Track cause it is in your signature. I did look it up on the internet. That would be huge motivation for me. It looks just beautiful.

If any of you want to see what the John Muir Trail looks like and have Netflix, the movie "Mile, Mile and a Half" is kind of a documentary about a groups hike a couple of years ago and shows the scenery. Forgive me if I've already said this, but it is front and center on my mind these days.

Okay, now in to the shower and on to the grocery store.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

well, we survived the storm just fine...now there is a worse one coming Monday night into Tuesday. I predict school may be closed, so i am making mental plans to get through it. I may end up baking something, but will aim for something like pumpkin muffins instead of cookies.

The whole family just came back from the gym which was fun. A little competition between the kids over who is lifting more weight- and then I the mom am the weakest, but i will work on catching up to them! It will be great to have somewhere to go on the winter weekends that doesn't involve shopping or eating.

Karenrn- thanks for that documentary idea, that sounds interesting!
Bill- ooh, roasted soy nuts sounds good, and not something i would go crazy on.
love2garden- I meant to reply earlier on the cataract surgery- my mom is one of the most anxious folks i know, and she also had it and did great with it. But i know what you mean about surgery- and our eyes are so precious of course!

Last edited by curlyjax; 01-25-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 01-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #229  

Height: 5' 2"

Curleyjax, thanks for telling me about your mom's successful cataract surgery. Because I'm most likely closer to her age than yours, that is really helpful. Sure hope you keep your power during that "historic storm" that is coming. My nephew in Conn. is surrounded by big beautiful trees and long drive way. I know what his exercise will be this week.

Our TV is dying so we went just to get an idea what is out there. After church we were almost at the shopping center so we 3 went in. DH found one, same brand as ours that has lasted over 7 years. However, with his hearing difficulties, the sound wasn't the best. Then the salesman took us to a special sound system that is fantastic, and DH can understand so much better. With both together, and on sale we decided to no wait any longer. Whew, blew the budget but that is our primary entertainment.

Credit: OP, even eating out. Credit: Scale is going back down. Credit: read all cards before going to Church, and am understanding many things about the Beck system that went over my head when I first tried it 5 years ago.

For those of you in path of bad weather, may you be safe, warm and well fed. For those who have other issues, may they be solved.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #230  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Yes - echoing Love2Garden's hopes for safety for all in the storm's path - looks like it'll be a doozy. Be careful and don't exert too much in the snow removal. I'm the type who decides that I need to bake and prep food that's an easy reheat with a campstove before a snowstorm. God forbid we get "stuck" with sandwiches

I've been OP again today - whoo hoo - two in a row. A day filled with fresh veggies ... lunch was a big salad, still going through the huge bin of the small tomato variety - all colors. DId DH up a good salad of that as well ... his kinda turned into a bruschetta mix for the most part. Dinner was chicken, carrots/onions that were roasted earlier in the day, as well as some roasted sweet and spicy sweet potato cubes. I love that and don't make it often enough. Charging myself with planning tomorrow's meals this evening rather than in the morning when I'm rushing to prep for work.

Love2Garden - My brother just had cataract surgery last week! All went perfectly, he's seeing SO SO much better, and especially at night. I reassured him about it as our Nana had it probably about two decades ago; it went great and she was just amazed at the difference.

Bill - Downloaded the audiobook of Cryptonomicon from the library for DH ... thank you! I think he'll enjoy it.

KarenRN - Thanks for the documentary lead - I'm going to check that out soon. I love how you're building your strength on each front for the long-term goal.

Joy - CREDITS for a full week with the sheets! I think it's key that we just move forward at our own rate, setting the foundation we need for this go-round.

OneByOne - LOVE All hat. No cattle. I'd not heard that before and immediately I like it much better than my "Poop or get off the pot." It's gone into my journal already. I, too, don't want to keep talking about making progress or wanting to make progress.

ForMyGirls - I think checking in weekly so it's not just one more chore each day, is very wise. Between your job, your children, partner, activity, you're doing great to return with a commitment!

Maryann - Exciting to be planning to move ticker downward soon! Two pounds below ticker is an accomplishment and reflection of hard work this month. Hope your outing was fun with DS.

Off to plan tomorrow's meals, enjoy a cup of tea to signal the day's eating is done ... and a hot bath. We're only getting a couple of inches of snow tonight, so not worried about shoveling before heading to work. I want to get up a little earlier, though, and start my day in less of a rush.

Last edited by nationalparker; 01-25-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #231  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile check in

Coaches!

My fast food painting is complete. I did work 12 hours. But tomorrow when I install them at a local theatre I will be thrilled. I joined the local painting/painters'group and they are as active as I had hoped. I like what I painted and it furthers my goal of creating a cohesive body of work by the end of the year.

The painting of the waitress is called The Actor, and the fast food joint is called Your Choice. Both paintings are part of my suburbia series and both are local people/places.

I didn't eat when stressed over this today. In fact I made a special OP meal and DH and I shared the cut veggie tray I splurged on at Costco yesterday. I will make that a regular part of my week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holeeT.jpg (83.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed2.jpg (79.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by onebyone; 01-25-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #232  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was shoveling the light snow that fell just to get us ready. Starting tonight we're predicted to get 2+ feet of heavy snow in blizzard conditions. Wet snow with high winds threatens the power lines and seriously slows down restoring them. If you don't hear from me for a couple of days, just watch the weather reports for the U.S. East Coast. I did get a walk, CREDIT moi, over the icy sidewalks. Hopefully it worked those small muscles used to fight falling down; it certainly wasn't aerobic.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, especially since that included ignoring a bunch of homemade stuff at the standard Sunday happy hour. Dinner was our favorite local Thai place where we arrive with plastic containers, bring it home to add a salad, and save half for a second meal. All for $20, including the $1 extra each for substituting brown rice. In prep for going to Italy, we watched the 1953 Roman Holiday. Discovered that that was the first Audrey Hepburn starring role that led to the zillion that followed. I'd lend it to my DD but I don't think she could handle the slow pace of a 1953 black-and-white flick. I, on the other hand, fell in love with Audrey Hepburn's smile - but that's happened several times before, LOL. DW didn't mind since she was quite happy enjoying the young Gregory Peck.

onebyone – Just loving "All hat. No cattle." And love even more reading how you overcame the natural and unnatural disasters to still get your painting done - Kudos.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Sounds smart to stick with what's working. Kudos for seven days at 100%. I'm grinding forward slowly in the Alan Turing book. It might have been a bit revolutionary in 1985 to write about each coming-of-age longing of a gay male, but 30 years later it's just one more coming-of-age story. I'll slug through his opinion of each of George Bernard Shaw's plays, the Communist Party and each headmaster of each Public School (we'd say 'private' in the U.S.) to get to Bletchley Park.

nationalparker – I do like the notion of "a cup of tea to signal the day's eating is done."

Karen (karenrn) - 10.4 Kudos for a good hike. Will check out the movie "Mile, Mile and a Half" - bet I'd like that.

curlyjax - Yep, brace yourself, this one might be a doozy. The challenge for us is not to accept too much snow as an excuse for too much snacking.

love2garden - Kudos for using your money for something that matters to you: that your DH can comfortably understand the TV - just like the Beck quote today.

Readers -
Quote:
day 30 Stay in Control When Eating Out

what are you thinking?
You might need to counter sabotaging thoughts many times while eating out or attending special events. You might feel disappointed that you can't eat whatever you feel like having. Use the following responses to prepare for sabotaging thoughts ahead of time.. . .

Sabotaging Thought: The food that's on my diet plan costs more than the food I really want to order. I can't justify spending more money just to stick to my diet.
Helpful Response: It's worth it! I'm worth it! What a great way to spend money - toward a goal that I really, really want to achieve.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 218.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #233  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Here we go-one more "day at a time". Kids and ex-wife now here. My DH returned to Glenwood yesterday, which is probably best. He really needs alone time to keep moving forward in a positive way, and there is no alone time here right now. I'm making the best of it and am enjoying a quiet morning before work to get caught up.

Foodwise, we've been having healthy family meals. I used resistance skills repeatedly at work yesterday. Morning smoothie still on track. Last night snacking could use improvement. Will work on that today. Scale was down yesterday and took a jump up again today. Split pea/ham soup very salty...the culprit, I'm sure. Credit for weighing and recognizing it's just information. Will focus on my water intake today.

BBE, love that your soy nuts send such a powerful message to your brain!

onebyone, nice paintings!

nationalparker, like the evening tea as a "signal" that food is over!

love2garden, nice you are noticing stuff with Beck that you missed before.

gardenerjoy, kudos for SSS!

curlyjax, love that your family is going to the gym together!

MaryAnn, " I have planned a few treats because stage one skills sheets are not about trying to eat less or healthy, but trying to practice discipline by building resistance muscles." How true!

karenrn, thanks for info on the documentary!

Mountain Mamma/Pamtanga/ForMyGirls, welcome back!

I need to get moving. I read posts everyday. Thanks for being here, everyone!
Old 01-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #234  
Green Tomatoes

It's a good thing I completed my seven days, because DH proposed a swap for dinner last night and I didn't have to say "No! That will mess everything up."

WI: +0.25 kg, Exercise: +30 1005/1200 minutes for January, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

onebyone: love the paintings! I'm especially intrigued by The Actor -- great title and she has such a wonderful waitress face!

Lexxiss: Sending warm thoughts to you and everyone in your complicated situation. I sense you're a rock in that chaos and I know how much of that ability comes from the work on yourself and your environment that you've done the last few years. I'm in awe and inspired.

Thinking of everyone in the path of the storm. It came through here as rain and a drop in temperature.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Super credit for not varying off plan when emotions ran high in my little family yesterday - so high in fact that I had to bug out to our cabin two hours away because I couldn't stop yelling at my husband. I called DS en route, told him where I was and why I left. I told him when I was a little girl my parents would scream for hours on end in front of me and I promised I would never do that to my little boy. I told him I loved him, none of the fight was about him and everything would be ok.

I feel very sad this morning. I behaved very badly on a follow up call to husband last night. I understand that his passive aggressive behavior makes me seem like the bad guy- 50% of this mess is him but I'm the only one people can hear. Anyway . . . How is this related to a food blog? because this is the cr@@ I have eaten over for years. This is why I can be perfect on a diet for weeks and then throw everything away just because I am searching for comfort.

I have no comfort this moment. I have a plan. I have faith that if I continue to follow the plan I will eventually feel better without having gained weight. I disagree with Beck when she says ten minutes after resisting I'll feel better. That is not my turnaround time. It will be days. Still it is worth the deal. I apologized to DH this morning and have a plan to help us along. We will see if he agrees.

On we trudge.

Last edited by maryann; 01-26-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #236  

Height: 5' 2"

Maryann CREDIT really due you for your strong attempts at diet and for peace. Your words echo my own exeperience. It takes me far longer than 10 minutes to feel better, at least a day or more when I neglect my plan, then connect with wanting to resume. May you both work out a plan between the two of you.

Lexxiss May you have ability to stay in control of yourself even if the rest of the household is not doing so. Touchy situation. Come on, renter, vacate and move on!!

CREDIT: still determined and on plan. Credit: Lots of calls to cancel events for the next 24 hours with storm causing issues. Thank goodness we have delightful people who assist making these calls.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #237  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Hello! Day three on track! Feels good to write that, instead of that I derailed myself.

Planned out my breakfast and lunch - came home and baked my own dinner as DH is working tonight. Need to again use my cup of hot tea to close my kitchen/end eating ... and in a way that ties me to dinners at my parents' home in my mind that ended with wine or hot tea, depending on the person. Made a conscious decision tonight to not worry about spending the extra $1.50 and just buy the bag of prepared salad mix instead of the head of lettuce - so successfully started my dinner with a good salad.

Bill and Love2Garden - Here's hoping you all stay safe and warm! And don't exert yourself with the shoveling to keep up but enjoy some good reading time. And Bill - My "italy" movie that has me yearning to return again and again is the ole Diane Lane one "Under the Tuscan Sun" ... oh, it has me wanting to live there

Maryann - Good for removing yourself from a situation that was not bringing benefit to anyone there. Hoping you all continue to move forward in peace. I despise hours spent without harmony.

Joy - Have you been spending time planning your gardens now? I used to do that but have backed off a great deal here lately. I think I'd like to return to that a bit more this year. Well, not just the planning but the doing.

OneByOne - LOVE the paintings! Hard to fathom that you did those so quickly. How rewarding to see them exhibited.

PamAtGa - How are you doing? What are your main challenges that you're facing here lately?

Lexxiss - Many credits for striving hard for what keeps you on track, and prepping healthy meals for the family. Take care of YOU with some relaxation time when you can, even in brief moments.

KarenRN - Are you setting any goals for tackling XX miles every fortnight or few weeks and increasing pack weight in preparation for your trail? Or just kind of doing what feels right to do 'next'?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Coaches,

Believe it or not I am still on south beach. Who would have thunkit? I struggled a bit last week and went off plan 2 times. I did what Beck says-- said oh well and got right back on plan. I have returned to Phase one except with one fruit and one bowl of oatmeal a day added in. I will see how that works for me. I also was slowly eating more and more cheese so am back to cheese as a condiment only. I am not craving sugar and not really pining for pasta, bread, rice or potatoes either.

Mostly I need to remember that this is going to take a long, long time. That is hard to accept.

Have a good evening everyone!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #239  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Hi. Just lost my big like long post so in a nutshell:
Weighed in at 278_= 6lbs down
Started week 2 of 2 today
Was OP
Met painting deadline
Installed artwork at theatre (if you use ladies room on 2nd fl you'll see them!lol.)
Posted here
Have made plans for tomorrow
Am thinking of folks dealing with blizzard wind and snow and hoping your power is unaffected.
I feel I am firing on all cylinders again. This feels great.

Maryann: hugs to you. Wishing you a good resolution to your conflict. I have no doubt it will happen.

Lexxiss: so awesome you remain centered. So fantastic you are not carrying what isn't yours. Happy you have your own well deserved thought out and planned life to ground you. Kudos.

Off to bed now. Bye.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:57 AM   #240  

S/C/G: 208/175.4/145

Height: 5'6"

Hello, all. I came back from Hawaii late Friday. It was a lovely trip; especially the warm air and water. Also, having a nice tan is helping me feel better about the way I look (I will probably regret that statement some day). But truly, I'm working hard to accept myself right now, the way I look today, because it's pretty okay. We had pictures taken by a professional while there and I feel good about them.

Yet there's still that voice in my head that tells me it's not enough; I must be thinner. And yes, there's some truth to that, but being cruel to myself is no way to get there. And also, I've come to realize how I just how much I let food, weight and dieting rule my world. I think a huge key to Beck's method (which she perhaps doesn't drill home enough), is to START LIVING THE LIFE YOU WANT TODAY.

Which, sadly, is easier said than done. I can barely keep up with the kids, dishes and laundry...and now I'm going to start working again. R'uh R'oh!

MaryAnn - Thank you for honestly sharing your problems and triggers. You've moved me to share one of mine publicly...so here goes...My daughter who is nearly 11 is showing very clear signs (to me) of mild Asperger's. In layman's terms, she has a lot of repetitive, impulsive and argumentative behaviors that literally drive me crazy!!! I feel like I have to eat or drink to help soothe myself to "get through it." By the time she goes to bed, I just want to treat myself to desserts (multiple).

But the truth is, those things don't really help me get through. They actually make me feel worse. I need to remember that I FEEL BETTER WHEN I'M ON MY PLAN THAN WHEN I'M EATING TO SELF-SOOTHE!!! I also need to remember that perhaps what I really need is some solitary time. I think sometimes we use food to help us get down time.

So, I've had a rough start getting 100% back on track since arriving home. But I'm committing to you all that I will be doing that tomorrow. I'm off now to write my meal plan up, will report back tomorrow evening.

Good luck to those in the storm on the East Coast! xo, Danielle

Last edited by MarinMaven; 01-27-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Closed Thread