Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – December 2014 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - World Aids Awareness Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Thanksgiving is over at our house as we made our third dinner from leftovers. The brined turkey was still moist. It was just enough. The mashed potatoes and cheese biscuits did, indeed, go into the compost bin last night to feed our worms. Snacks were OK to make the day on-plan, CREDIT moi.

Warm and dry made for two fun walks, CREDIT moi. The micro snowman we'd made atop our stone post has fully melted. A neighbor raked late leaves in a t-shirt. I finished a project in the attic preparing it for winter that couldn't be done in summer because the heat was unbearable and couldn't be done in winter because it's too cold to work up there. Thought I'd found the perfect excuse to never do it - until yesterday's weather was just perfect. So now the insulation is properly restored after being disrupted to replace a bathroom fan some months ago. Yay for progress in small things.

onebyone – Can't be more appealing than "Food is good. No sugar but need green things" - Kudos. Congrats for making your sister's visit work.

nationalparker – Waving toward your airport as you wait in the security line. Have a good trip. LOL at "Leave those spuds and cheese biscuits in the fridge - I'll be by to save them." Yep, the desire to assure that every morsel goes through the GI track is strong.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for completing Thanksgiving with friends in good enough fashion. And Kudos for looking forward, "My goal is to be diligent."

Mountain Mamma - Super Kudos for working in a workout to meet your November goals.

Readers -
Quote:
Week 5 Overcome Challenges

These are all very important things you've learned. I expect that many of the new habits you're developing - such as monitoring what you're eating - don't feel as time-consuming now as they did when you started. Equally important, you're probably much better at noticing sabotaging thoughts almost as soon as they arise and can respond to some almost instantly. You've begun to master some essential Cognitive Therapy techniques.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 206.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

I copied my post from the November thread

We've been home with the pup for 36 hours now. It was quite a long drive. A little more than 1200 miles in 36 hours. We had clear roads and safe travel.now comes the process of integrating this little guy into his new home.

Food wise, I did pretty good, considering all. I packed healthy foods for the trip and the only thing that we bought was a shared seven dollar dinner at McDonald's Friday night.yesterday, however, I had one of my poorer days at work. Nothing extremely bad-just nibbling when I didn't need to. I got about 10 hours of sleep last night and I am committed to fully getting back on track today. Getting on track today, means having a plan, logging it, and sticking with it. Credit for that. Scale took a big jump up-not a reflection of food reality but more likely too little sleep and stress-even if it was good stress.

I must get going and get ready for work. Take care everyone.

Attached a pic of Kirby "relocated"
Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi everyone-
okay, TODAY I will restart. ended up giving in to some cravings yesterday.

Its a hard time of the year for many folks emotion wise, and I seem to be fighting with DD a LOT and some of that is definitely my fault. I wish i had more balance in my life- sometimes I feel like all i do is work- and the home life work is much harder than the work i get paid for, in terms of teenaged DD! I'm actually very grateful to be going to work today and get away from home.

Enough of that. I did get in a nice walk in yesterdays good weather, and went to bed feeling full but not stuffed. Actually for all I overate over the holidays, I never felt that "I can't move, I feel sick" feeling, so I think I did better than I did last year anyhow.

Nationalparker- have a great trip. Warmer weather sounds great!
Onebyone- glad you're having a good visit with your sister. I always wanted a sister, it seems like such a nice relationship.
Lexiss- adorable dog! Good for you for going all that way, that is impressive! Kirby is lucky to have found a great home.

Happy December all- yikes, can't believe it is here!
Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #5  

Default New here - looking for a buddy

Hi,
I am new here and am looking for a diet buddy for beck diet solution. I am just looking to lose 5 pounds from baby weight, but more importantly to stop using food as my source of comfort. I want to learn to think -- and act -- like a think person. Night times--like once I get home with my kids at 4:30-is when I struggle the most and could use support.
Let me know if anyone is interested. I am happy to support you as well!!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

I was called away mid-post last night & thread is closed so I'm copying/updating here.

1x1 - Glad sister visit going well. Kudos for good eating & STILL no sugar! Very impressive.

Shiviti - !! Yes 4:30pm with little ones IS the witching hour. How old is your baby?

Karen - A 3 mile hike after Thanksgiving is commendable indeed. Glad Harley did okay on the long drive & found a friend.

Nationalparker - Love those holiday movies, too. I usually have a task at hand to justify the time spent watching AWL for the 100th time.

BBE - wow , a 2 hour hike in the snow! Solitude so close to the city sounds wonderful.

Curlypudge - my heart goes out to you re the teenaged DD. BTDT - wish I could offer some solace. But they are vipers at that age. (Wine is a very useful venom antidote. Not that I would suggest anyone drink. )

Lexxis, what a cute dog! How did he do on such a long drive, hardly knowing you two at the start? Is he a specific breed or mix? I take he is a rescue?

Silverbirch -

Update on last night's post (below) - My enthusiasm for exercise challenges was zero after last night's high. Could hardly get out of bed this morning. "Gym" sounds high-faluting - I use the city rec center - always crowded but the price is right.

Well, I would have couch-potatoed today BUT there's an exercise challenge on this board - not naming names, but her initials are Gardenerjoy - and I went all out to finish up. Probably first time I ever went to the gym on T'sgiving weekend. Thanks for inspiring us, Joy!
Old 12-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I have GOT to get out of this frozen tundra of the midwest (slight exaggeration, until February)... arrived in Florida to streaming, warm sunshine, palm trees, folks of all ages in shorts, and happiness. Okay, I added that last one just because I'm happier with sunshine on my skin. But ... I long to return here. Karen - you really have me thinking of what do I want to have in my life - to live for now or live/prep for the future...

Determined to get a bit of a reset with eating this week. Perhaps hoping for this on a road trip is lofty or misguided; not sure which. Up before 4 a.m. and breakfast at airport was easy - dry cereal from home. Accepted the biscoff cookie a few hours afterward and saved it for later. (Later has already arrived.) Lunch with coworkers was at a fast food burger spot so went with grilled chicken and yes, fries. Skinny fries. Ate nearly all of them while we talked. Anyway, I looked up the nutritional information and found out online that I could have asked for baked chips with the grilled chicken. I didn't know that and I sorta wished he'd asked me, so I would have put some thought into the fries. Dinner out with a group of about 25. I am writing everything down with approx calorie counts so that's a credit. Not sure how late the meetings will run tonight, so wanted to check in.

Need to have a plan for dinner so I'm not just taking in many extra calories while sitting through a long meeting.

Wiped out and am already looking forward to bed/sleep.

No cyber Monday shopping for me. Not in a secure internet area, so might just save some money. Will call DH to get tickets to a few things that we've been looking at (performances) if they're still available when he has time tonight.

My "friendly skies" karma (always sitting next to very nice people on planes) continues. Thankful. I rarely initiate the conversation but will always join in. Seatmate today is a surfer - 62 - who finds things he wants to do and figures out how to do them. He wants to work at a ski lodge next - to get that full experience. Grab life, man! Good topic to hear today.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

Logging again food and exercise yesterday and today, CREDIT; Went to bed 1-1/2 hour earlier than the night before, up earlier, too. CREDIT; Tempted to stop housework before I was finished, but completed the project, CREDIT.

I'm very tired but feeling extreemly satisfied to have worked till finished, and beginning December on the best note to gain my goals.

National Parker, how delightful to have good seatmates, and interesting ones, too. Good for you writing it all down.

Lexxis, tell us more about the pup. What a very challenging trip you all made.

Curlypudge, sympathy from me, too. we raised 3 daughters, thank goodness for the youngest one to keep me sane as the older two were teenagers. May you survive and be able to smile doing it.

Bill, congratulations for finishing the attic project. May be last chance. AND for tossing those cheese biscuits out - really would be hard to do.

Welcome shiviti, tell us more about the baby and yourself. If you only need to loose 5 pounds it may come off quickly with the extra work a baby brings.

Karen, every time I read about your hikes I'm smiling as I remember being able to do so much of that when I was younger.

Shopping anytime is NOT fun for me. I put it off until I am really in trouble. Grocery shopping is not the issue, all the other types are a problem. I dislike crowds, but still would go to football and basketball games and have a great time. Go figure . . .
Old 12-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Yea it's Monday such a good dieting day for me. Especially when I'm really trying to get back on track.

Food planned and within calories yesterday, credit, but I did gain a pound. Hopefully with getting right back at it I will lose it again soon. Today food is planned and will be within calories, credit. I hiked the Gateway Loop after lunch which takes about 90 minutes, credit. I did my two hour volunteer greeter position at Tom's Thumb trailhead this morning and should have taken a sandwich and hiked there afterwards, but I didn't think about it and it was 11 when my shift was over.

Love2garden I know I was a horrible teenager, but I was a very good grown daughter. Lucky you for having 3 of them.

Nationalparker I hope you have a great time in Florida and enjoy the warmth. Being a nurse, my skills were portable, how about yours? I'm sure my friends were quite surprised to see me move, heck I was surprised, but it worked out for us.

Mountain Momma Good job on getting that exercise in, even when it wasn't appealing.

Shiviti Welcome . . . as you can probably see, we all just support each other and glad to support you too.

Curlypudge Good luck getting through raising the teenage daughter. I can tell you I gave my parents a run for their money. Luckily they were unaware of some of the bratty things I did. Yes this time of the year can be tough. I know I get excited with the Christmas music, decorations and all and then always have that point in time where I remember I have so few family members and there will not be a Rockwell Family Christmas. I know I am far from alone, in fact it is probably similar for most.

Lexxis Tell us more about your new pup. Looks like a very nice dog. And what a lucky guy he is.

Bill I bet my husband wishes Thanksgiving was over at our house too, but I bought a turkey and roasted it yesterday. Actually I will freeze quite a bit of it. I just love turkey. Good for you for thinking it was a perfect time to do the attic project. Sounds like weather has been good for walking too. Seems like you're pretty darn good about getting out no matter what.

Onebyone So glad to hear your visit with your sister is going well. I always wanted a sister too. Instead I was the only girl with 3 brothers. The cousin I went on vacation with this summer is also the only girl with 3 brothers, so we call each other sister-cousins and who knows it might be even better than how it is with some sisters.

Well, here we are in December. I'm just hoping I can actually get thru the holidays with a small loss or worst case no gain.

More tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #10  
Enjoying la bella vita

Just had to post that the evening conspired to keep me on track. The choices at dinner (preplated) were beef, shrimp or tilapia, none of which I eat! So had a few baby asparagus and a little bit of mashed potato. I ordered the sirloin because to say none would attract so much attention in the room ... and the fellow next to me scored most of it. So the calories kept me in line, by default!! YAY. Dec. 1 on track, one down.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:24 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome Shiviti

Shiviti

And, on the occasion of your first post,

How did you learn about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you discover our Beck Forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, without a jacket even! Unseasonal warm day it was. My goal was to stop by a supermarket to buy strawberries. I did - at a price. I do love my strawberries with breakfast, especially since they keep me out of the dried fruits with their uber calories. I stopped by a garden center selling Christmas trees for $9 per foot. Seems pricey to me. I was mesmerized by the BIG tube they pulled each sold tree through that applied the net mesh to hold it together.

Food was on plan, CREDIT moi. Dahl for dinner - the stomach needs to regroup after turkey for four days. We sent some candy that remained after Thanksgiving to a gathering where teenagers were sure to devour it.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Welcome Kirby to 3FC! Looking forward to hearing of your acclimation to Colorado. Congrats on those 10 hours of sleep to take care of yourself.

nationalparker – Thanks for the visual of sunshine and palm trees. Florida does know how to do warm. Kudos for staying your path with eating even though you're far away and can hide behind the Sabotaging Thought, Nobody can see me. Kudos for gaming the menu-order business and for pleasing your table-mate with an extra sirloin.

Karen (karenrn) - Seems reasonable to cook turkey other than at Thanksgiving - I just never thought of it. Kudos for your neat hike on the Gateway Loop.

curlypudge - Sending supportive thoughts to both you and your DD for working your way through the transition to independence. BTDT. Kudos for getting out for a walk in the East Coast warm weather.

Mountain Mamma - I agree; 'gym' sounds more serious than 'rec-center' or 'basement.' Enthusiasm for exercise does tend to wax and wane.

love2garden - Kudos for finishing the housework project - stopping half-way is soooo tempting. I join you in distaste for shopping.

Shiviti - Yep, that window that began with coming home from work was where I packed on my pounds with cheese and crackers. It's a tough transition. Kudos for recognizing it so you can devise strategies. In this forum, we all serve as Diet Coaches/Buddies to each other and welcome you to do the same. We strive to post our status on (nearly) a daily basis as one would a real-life Diet Coach. And we occasionally respond to each other with encouragement or suggestions. Feel free to post status and to wait before posting 'personals' until we begin to differentiate into individuals that you can recognize. Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
Week 5 Overcome Challenges

Now is the time to move forward and learn how to prepare for both expected and unexpected challenges. Have you ever stopped dieting because you were on vacation? Have you ever "blown it" at a restaurant or party? Have you ever eaten in response to social pressure, only to feel bad about it later? How often do you eat for emotional reasons because you're upset or bored? This week, you'll learn how to stay in control during challenging situations. What you learn this week will allow you to diet and enjoy the pleasures of life.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 206.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #13  
Enjoying la bella vita

Brief check in today as I know I won't be online tonight. Breakfast OP and lunch was a challenge. Main meal (brought in for us) was sausage-based and antipasto with pepperoni and salami, so nixed all of that for two servings of mixed green salad and yes, two garlic rolls. They had four varieties of italian cookies, 120 calories each (yes - they left them in the container from the bakery!) ... Will do well tonight and with brother and his wife, that's not hard. They eat healthfully nearly EVERY meal, so no temptation to stray there.

I spoke with DH last night and he's already checking his schedule to try to take vacation while I work a golf event here next May for two weeks. Why not get excited early, right?

Bill - I can just picture you there waiting for the next tree sale! Enjoy those warm temps - they'll be few and far between, I hear, for this winter. The magnolia trees are in bloom, but the only birds I see out here today are turkey buzzards circling high.

Welcome, Shiviti!! I, too, struggle with that time, even though I don't have children at home. It's the time between when I get home and hubby gets home a few hours later when he's on days that I am trying to use hot tea to relax and regroup before getting on with the evening tasks.

Rethinking the summer trip to Belgium/France ... ticket prices are out of my range and unless a marked drop, we'll switch that to something else this year. Typically don't fly to Europe in the summer, but we saw some great rates, and didn't apparently realize HOW great those were for then! So now will enjoy replanning the summer a bit, I guess. Early on to think about it, but I like to anticipate trips. As does DH, too.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 2"

Finally home from lots of errands in cold rain and fog. Glad to be inside before dark it, and now all items are put away and I actually have time to relax.

DH really likes the new local dentist he went to today. Such a good natured man who does good work, inovated, listens, and is more reasonable than some we checked out. Our old dentist is so far away in heavy traffic in city with almost no parking. I made appointment for next week to get my teeth cleaned, too.

National Parker, I'm really pround of you with your choices of food. Hope you all are able to get the vacation that you can anticipate ahead of time, enjoy the actual time, and have good memories.
Magnolia trees in bloom? wow.

We certainly have plenty of birds here. We keep two birdbaths with clean water and with so many plants with seeds and berries, birds are here all year around. When snows come, DH puts out hanging birdseed containers that he keeps filled.

Shiviti, that time when we first get home from work and face fixing meals, etc when what we'd love to do is prop our feet and chill . . . one of the hardest times of day. Add to it a grouchy family member and OUCH!

Karen, we love turkey too and often choose that for family Christmas or Easter celebrations. Our nephew loves it and came here for my sister's birthday on the 4th of July so I fixed stuffed Turkey with cranberry/orange relish I had made up in the winter time and frozen.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Back from an EPIC journey -literally. We saw giants (sequoias and pinnacles in Yosemite), battled a monster (nasty 24 hour stomach flu bestowed by an adorable 11 month old) , and faced our deepest fears ( mine was two boxes of Sees candy at Thanskgiving). I did not survive unscathed - wounded but not dead.

Back on track today. I believe the Low Impact Sugar program I began will be successful so my goal is to keep under 50 grams a day. I get an angel if I am less than 350 grams for the week.

Too many posts to catch up. I wish a belated Happy TDay and join all of you in our quest for a sane march toward Xmas.

Last edited by maryann; 12-02-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Closed Thread