Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #136  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - New Moon

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, focusing on front door decorations since DW has installed our usual wreath of Blue Fir and Holly. I salute those who work diligently to make their houses sparkle.

Eating was only OK - I fell for some cookie pieces that come from a friend's baking. They were sent over because she couldn't eat them all! It's awful to eat one's own broken cookies; it's a crime to accept a small plastic tub from another kitchen.

onebyone – Yay for a stellar screen printing class that worked for you. Ouch for being caught without plans for food when you were stressed. Good luck on your two paintings.

silverbirch – LOL at your description of the shopping trip traffic jams due to old friends meeting. Neat tips for standing tall to improve the body. I can guess "We'll busk it" from its context, but it's not a phrase I've heard before.

nationalparker – Drooling, drooling, drooling over your Harry & David pears. Don't know why they seem to get the good ones. Kudos for plans to get back on track.

Karen (karenrn) - Super Kudos for "I have hiked 6 out of the last 7 days" - neat that the busy season doesn't slow you down.

Readers -
Quote:
day 29 Resist Food Pushers

special advice to persistent food pushers
To prepare your response to persistent food pushers, think of a good role model, someone you know who is nicely assertive about his or her needs. (If no one comes to mind, think of a celebrity you know about.) What would he or she say in your situation?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 210.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #137  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi coaches!

Super busy and still some stressful stuff going on but I'm trying to remain mindful. We got our yearly brownies in the mail and after eating half I'm going to take the rest to work today and get rid of them. Credit. I'm making some new plans food wise for my new year and also celebrating One that I made last year and carried through. Last year I decided I was going to make my own protein powder instead of buying commercially and I've done that for an entire year now. Credit.

Take care everyone this is just one of those weeks.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #138  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Lightbulb Good to Remember

Thanks Lexxiss for reminding me this morning to

Quote:
Take care everyone this is just one of those weeks.
Off to start my day. Just for today: no sugar and three meals, no snacks, and 15 minutes of walk away the pounds dvd.

Will check back in later with a pic of my (I hope!) finished flower painting.

Have a good Monday.

Update: finished the flower painting for MIL. Did not have sugar, which was a constant battle in my head. Credit for no sugar. Cooked from scratch which is the best for me. Credit. No exercise in spite of planning for it. I am fighting some kind of bug. I may be pretty stressed out too as I started to develop cold sores which for me are indicators I've been too stressed for too long. The good news is they seem to be backing off. Yay for immune systems.

Last edited by onebyone; 12-23-2014 at 04:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #139  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Good morning, all! I tried hard to do well yesterday and ended up with a light dinner (after a solid late lunch) of baked potato and a pear. Won't see DH to spend any time with him until the 24th so asked if he'd like to meet up for lunch today. So that's tentative and if so, will be a bbq place near where I need to do an exchange. I am planning on choosing a child's meal or just turkey and fries - and all I really want are the fresh-cut skin-on fries, nutrition be danged.

Have a LOT to get tackled tonight, and sometimes being alone helps me get a lot more done. Tomorrow is my last day of work, and I'm keeping fingers crossed that we'll be allowed to leave a few hours early.

Scale a pound up from ticker.

Last edited by nationalparker; 12-22-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #140  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Food planned and within calories yesterday, credit. Weight was stable for the week, no loss and no gain and I'm okay with that. Hiked this morning with my brother and sister in law, credit. Food planned today and will be within calories, credit in advance. I think today and tomorrow will be fine . . . it's the next two days that will likely be a bit over. I'll be focusing on serving sizes and trying to keep them small.

More later,

Karen
Old 12-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #141  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - Festivus - It's for the Rest of Us!

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The Christmas tree is up, CREDIT moi. Even though it's only seven feet tall, it was heavy to carry from the backyard to the living room. Seems that it was made so full by pruning it down each year so that it arrived with a HUGE trunk. Oh, well. DW has installed lights and bulbs, also. The new LED lights cast strange colored rings around the room - it's a bit weird.

Food was OKish. I avoided snacking after dinner by being busy. My best accomplishment of the day was to buy the rest of the stocking stuffers that I'll need for Christmas morning.

onebyone – Gotta agree with this, "Yay for immune systems" - one of the body's best inventions, ever. Kudos for finishing your MIL's flower painting without using sugar.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yep, Kudos for taking the remaining brownies to work. Hope the tension stuff subsides in due time.

nationalparker – Never heard of a menu of "baked potato and a pear" - sounds delightfully out of the box. Thinking a child's meal is smart planning.

Karen (karenrn) - I'm going to use your "I'll be focusing on serving sizes and trying to keep them small" for Wednesday's evening meal. I've seen the roast that's to be cooked; it's 8+ pounds! Perhaps I can do the stunt that worked at Thanksgiving when I got all guests to take food home with them.

Readers -
Quote:

special advice to persistent food pushers
The dialog would probably go something like this:
Persistent food pusher: Have a piece of birthday cake.
Role model: Thank you, but no.

Persistent food pusher: But it's my birthday! You have to have a piece.
Role model: I know, and the cake looks so good, but I really have to say no.

Persistent food pusher: Oh, come on, a little taste won't hurt.
Role model: No really, thank you anyway.

Persistent food pusher: You're hurting my feelings.
Role model: I'm not turning down the cake to make you feel bad. I just don't want any right now.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 210.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #142  
in development

Good morning!

Just calling by as I take a breather from my exercises. The DB and I were ill in the night. Sugar can do that to us - we're just not used to it! - and three of us did share a large 'cookie' yesterday. Baked in a real farmhouse kitchen we know but the same result.

I like the dialogue with a persistent food pusher in today's excerpt.

OK, back to some kind of lunge whose name I've forgotten. I know how to do it, though, and that's what counts!

Take it steadily today, friends.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #143  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Edging closer to running out of time to get done what I want to do. Will cut the to do lists tomorrow and what's done is what's getting done. Just can't seem to figure out why I am resisting all manner of holiday baking - biscotti, cookies, xmas morning muffins, etc. Finally pushed to do one recipe of biscotti since I'd chopped the almonds a few days ago and bagged them up... burned the second loaf upon second baking. Well, not BURNED as in charred, but will have at a few of the pieces with a serrated knife or grater to remove some of it. Moved on to laundry and dishes and wrapping and left more for tonight. I've done a good job of buying for DH but NOW can't remember if I wrapped deceptively and things are under the tree or if I hid them... because I can't remember how I did them up!! Next year, I just get a box and put purchases in there instead of tucking in clothes in closet, in dresser, under the bed, etc. He's not a peeker. I am.

He found out he doesn't have to work tonight, so that frees up some time for us but I find at times I get less done with him there than myself alone.

Ordered the child's turkey sandwich and child's side of fries yesterday ... the fries were the same size as DH's ... 370 calories it said. Ate a good portion of them, too. Dinner was under control, but scale is up again and have to figure it's from the meal out. With no baking done, there are few goodies to tempt me.

Not sure if this was a mistake yet or not, so will see - I went to the chocolatier and bought a pound box for us to share - all handpicked from their window. I selected about 7 or so that I would savor and most of what he'd like. (me=coconut; him=dark choc) and I typically can enjoy one piece/day or every few days when I think about it, so will see if he wants me to set it aside since he has trouble with limiting it and asks for me to hide things sometimes and bring it out at dessert.

Bill - Your tree has me longing for the smell of a freshcut tree in our home. A balsam candle doesn't cut it - helps a bit but not like the real thing. Lose yourself in it...ahhh. I've had trees with disproportionate trunks through the years and never realized WHY. Good thinking.

KarenRN - Great job on keeping up the activity. We've got a day of rain and considerably warmer temps - 40s - today and tomorrow ... If we have a break in it, I think I'll hit the trail for a bit with the pooch, before her trim/bath. She goes to his folks on Christmas Day when they leave, and they'll watch her while we head out.

Silverbirch - Sorry to hear that the cookie affected you - a busy time to not feel up to par. Hopefully it'll pass quickly. Sounds like it's not slowing you down!

Started with cherry smoothie this morning, so at least on track so far. Did not bring lunch - was planning to run errands, but now realize I should have at least packed a peanut butter sandwich or something. We'll see how late the office stays open today...
Old 12-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #144  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone!
I seem to be off totally program these days. I keep receiving little goodies here and there and am not even trying to resist! This morning my lunch has been a bag of potato chips and 4 chocolates, yikes! Not getting enough sleep, a lot to do still, recent family events and way too much junk around is not a good combination.
We're off to see my folks tomorrow- i can control what i eat on the trip and won't bring any sweets. And since we're staying in a hotel, i won't be able to sneak anything at night, so that should work in my favor.
There is something about making cookies from childhood that makes them taste better than usual. At least we have only made one kind and that is it!

Hope to check in tomorrow and report better news.

Bill- I loved that Seinfeld episode on Festivus!

After new years day, I would like to start thinking about projects. I think there have been Beck threads on organizing/decluttering so I would love to join one or start one up in January if anyone else is interested!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

It has been awhile between posts. Last weekend, my guys took me to San Francisco to celebrate my birthday. It is always emotional for me. My bday usually falls during the last days before school break. It is frenetic, full of sugar, farewells. I get a lot of attention which is a mixed blessing for me (an introvert.) Credit for continuing to communicate with hubby instead of eating through the feelings. Credit for continuing to weigh through the days even though I didn't log. I was two pounds from ticker yesterday. Not bad and I feel great that I have not binged on the pounds of treats that have been gifted to me.

This morning, I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and knew I wouldn't go back to sleep. Credit for taking it in stride. I have made so much improvement with my sleeping habits that I felt I could take an isolated incident in stride. Decided to get up and my to do list done BEFORE the piano tuner. I finished wrapping for Xmas, went to the store when it opened at 7:00 to avoid the crowds, AND cleaned my house. Now I am waiting for the piano tuner. I will shepard him around to our three pianos in three different towns. (One piano is my mom's - tuning is her Xmas gift.)

My plan is to let myself take a nap, to let little things go, to smile if I am irritated and act as if I am not. This is no day to make big decisions or grand declarations.

BBE: Our Christmas tree had a huge trunk as well. DH says the trunks might be the result of lack of water. Don't know if that would be the case in the East Coast. We went small - maybe a five foot tree. DS always picks it out. He seems to pick one the exact size he is each year which made for two foot trees int he early days.

Silverbirch: Super credit for exercise. Intentional exercise is so important even though it feels to me like a drop of health in a bucket of revery.

nationalparker: good luck with the chocolate experiment. I currently have two pounds of wrapped See candies under the tree- my favorite. It is a miracle I have not opened them. I think I am just tired of the candy having so much power over me. It feels good to have the reverse for awhile.

curleypudge: I am looking forward to more organization and less stuff in the new year although I must admit I am more a thrower than a saver. But my husband is not and I want to tackle his grandmother house that became our ranch office.

Last edited by maryann; 12-23-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #146  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

A good food day. Credit. I brought a prepackaged meal to work both yesterday and today. It worked well as I didn't feel hungry while everyone around me was eating. My boss teased me (I brought an organic Indian meal) by reading the description with his best "Indian" accent. We laughed about it. He can tease me all he wants. He is 20 years younger than I. He pointed out with his accent something that I had missed along the way, that my meal was actually "gluten free" . Lol

Tomorrow morning we will travel over the stretch of highway which has made the national news these past few days. We are in between storms now.
nationalparker, you asked about the travel back-and-forth. My travel will still be the same since I have to come back and forth to work every week. What we're going to try and see how it works if he doesn't do the back-and-forth travel and instead just stays more in the one location. The reality is when I'm over here I work early I work long hours and also take care of my mom. So I think it might be a nice arrangement.

Take care everyone! I'm kind of giggling right now as my Christmas has been over for almost a week and I am already getting back into the swing of life afterwards.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #147  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Post dentist interruptus

Coaches

The big event today was getting two crowns placed on my top left back molars. I find any dental work feels weird afterwards for a while, but I think these crowns are wrong. They were filed down but inspire of this my teeth in the very front don't meet now so I can't take that first tearing bite. It's weird. And at the back two corners (?) of the new teeth hit the bottom teeth at a weird angle. So I will need to go back for adjustments. I can tell you my teeth totally dampened my desire to eat. I don't recommend it as a weight loss method. Truly annoying.

I finally got a brainwave re: what to get DH for Xmas. Due to the tax bill he has let me know several times over how broke we are so I've been reluctant to buy stuff at all. I decided to make him 2 t-shirts and one screen is done and the other half way done. They'll be printed tomorrow, and ready for Xmas day. SIL's painting is stalled. I am contemplating starting over. But I'll probably push through it. With the unexpected t-shirt project I don't think I have time to re-start.

I finally made the Dr. Appt at the big downtown clinic. DH isn't ever going back there but I like it. I'm terrified to go though. My weight is not better and I really haven't changed a thing health wise. However the appt is at the end of February so I can have 8 good weeks under my belt if I focus. I will focus.

Bye for now.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #148  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Christmas Eve

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Had my morning coffee in the living room in the dark except for the lighted tree. That's magic time for me. All is quiet; I'm not only the sole person awake in my house, I'm the only person awake on the whole street. There are no gifts under the tree - we put those out before Christmas morning. (When the kids were little, that meant schlepping bags of stuff from the attic, past their bedrooms, to the living room after they were 'asleep.' As adults, of course, they admit that they didn't go to sleep until they'd heard us pass so they knew the loot was brought down.)

Walk, CREDIT moi, was to the local hardware store to buy string to wrap around the rib roast. The recipe says to cut away the bone from the raw meat then tie the ribs back to the meat for roasting. We were down to the last few feet of cotton string. The great fear was of running out today when the stores are madhouses. Was able to buy a roll of "Beef String" for $2. Mission accomplished.

onebyone – What a cool idea for your DH's Christmas gift. Good luck working out the issues with your teeth.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Waving. Thinking of you this morning as the situation unfolds at 3 am in Berkeley, Missouri. Also thought of you yesterday when DW gathered from our garden: Kale, Collard Greens, Sage, Rosemary, and Parsley. Never, she said, has she harvested so much at Christmas. Hope all is well with you.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – It cracks me up thinking of your boss reading your lunch package in a fake "Indian" accent. Kudos for accepting the humor.

silverbirch – Ouch for the family feeling ill. It's pretty convenient to have a physical reaction to sugar - recognizing it for the body poison that it is.

maryann - Kudos for using your early time to tackle your to-do list. [LOL that your DS picks a Christmas tree about his size.]

nationalparker – LOL at trying to remember where you hid your DH's presents. I worked with a guy who used his travel time all year long to buy Christmas gifts - which he then hid. He said it worked out about evenly; he'd lose some he bought this year but find some from prior years. Kudos for the child's turkey sandwich.

curlypudge - Recognizing the current situation is the first step to getting back on track - Kudos for the start. I hope you get the clutter thread going again - I still got stuff.

Readers -
Quote:

what are you thinking?
What's your reaction to my story? If you're like Julie (pages 208-209), perhaps some of these sabotaging thoughts entered your mind. If so, pay close attention to the responses.

Sabotaging Thought: If I don't eat, ______________ will be upset or insulted.
Helpful Response: I wouldn't be upset if someone else didn't want to eat. If others don't like it, that's their problem, not mine. I don't have to please them or justify myself. I don't want to let their reaction (or my prediction about their reaction) get in my way.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 212.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-25-2014 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #149  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Popping in to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and to thank you for your support this year.

I am in lurker mode but appreciate all of you who are so consistent with your postings.

Take care

Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #150  

S/C/G: 194 / ticker / - 5 lbs

Height: 5'7"

Hello,

So great to see all the familiar faces. I am enjoying my first break in a long while. Work continues to be beyond challenging. I am struggling to find time to exercise and behaviors have slipped although I still practice at least a few Beck behaviors. I have gained 9 lbs since I last posted. I am now getting back to conscientiousness, which includes posting here. Happy holidays to all.
Closed Thread